Author Topic: Mouse clicks with the keyboard (and more)  (Read 1719 times)

Offline tecla.efe

Mouse clicks with the keyboard (and more)
« on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 17:15:08 »
How do you assign the clicks and double click in the mouse to a key in the keyboard? I'm sure this must be somewhere in the forum but couldn't find it. Obviously it must be different for different OS. Mine is Fedora 20 with KDE.

I was also trying XKeyCaps to remap the keyboard but it seems bugged (the menu to change the key assignments shows up but doesn't work). So I'm looking for another program to do that (I should try xmodmap, but it's a command line utility and it looks complicated to me).

What I want to try is to shift all the letters of the right side (on english qwerty: "yuiop"  "hjkl;"  "nm<>?") one place to the right, leaving the Y, H and N free to be assigned different things. This would allow to experiment how would it feel to have Ctrl or Enter or a mouse double click there, close to the index fingers.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Mouse clicks with the keyboard (and more)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 17:32:39 »
You can setup mouse emulation on numpad in KDE System Settings, it's like five clicks. '5' works as mouse click then, and /*- switch "button modes". The rest is remapping.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 23:54:13 »
If you have a keyboard with firmware you control, then you can get it to present itself as both a USB keyboard and a USB mouse, and send mouse clicks, etc.

What I want to try is to shift all the letters of the right side (on english qwerty: "yuiop"  "hjkl;"  "nm<>?") one place to the right, leaving the Y, H and N free to be assigned different things. This would allow to experiment how would it feel to have Ctrl or Enter or a mouse double click there, close to the index fingers.
I definitely recommend this. Not quite as good as a completely different physical key layout, but a pretty nice improvement over standard QWERTY.

Offline islisis

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 13:04:04 »
you can try autokey