Author Topic: [IC] DSA 808 - Round 2 Finalist  (Read 8040 times)

Offline EightDiagram

[IC] DSA 808 - Round 2 Finalist
« on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 19:06:26 »
Inspired by the mighty rhythm composers from Roland:

Additional mock-ups: https://imgur.com/a/lRLEe

Thanks to all that voted for 808 and particpated in general.  It's an honor to have made it to the final four. Good luck to all!

Massdrop vote link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSevAQyxO7_866HvzxId2qqBHBG3wf8teFxVAlQ47UESPsVZIQ/viewform
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 October 2017, 13:09:12 by EightDiagram »

Offline HotRoderX

Re: [IC] DSA 808 - Round 2 Finalist
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 20:10:32 »
Hopefully you can answer this quick cause this would make deciding on who to vote for... really simple and quick... this is a option for your key set right? https://i.imgur.com/4gseYQX.png cause I am digging the colors and love love the orange on those dark keys.

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 07:39:33 »
Heya...MD said "one design only" and at the time I was plugging for feedback on reddit, it was an even split of opinion on the orange vs green and I coin-tossed for green. If 808 wins I'm hoping we can work on options, but I've really no clue how flexible they would be. I should've posted an [IC] here when I started working on the set. First time to the rodeo here.  :confused:   

Hope I haven't lost your vote, but regardless thanks for checking out the set and participating in the contest!

Offline Miss Fitz

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 09:46:13 »
If you DO win, and you DO get to talk options, PLEASE try include as novelties all the drum machine specific keys: Rhythm, Accent, Tap, Start Stop, Cowbell, etc. As a (hobbyist) musician, that's what really drew me to this set. I'm tired of Ctrl - Win - Alt keys, esp as a Mac user.:) Again, awesome set!

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 20:21:48 »
No worries! I will push for the novelties for sure; should be easy enough since they'll just be text. Thanks for your support!  :thumb:

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 21:30:54 »
Totally nailed my vote hopefully they let ya to change up the color pallets either way I still really really like the look of this set and the fact its DSA just is icing.

Offline gizmoplex

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 01:10:07 »
Hey Dude, nice to see you here. Hope this'll help you to spread and develop your design further. Really want to see this thread growing and watch 808 become reality.

For that sweet renders, you could reach to some of the guys in the community to help you with (for a commission) if you want. Names like thesiscamper, oblotzky, janglad and many other amazing artist, these guys made delicious renders of keebs.

Might not be a proper introduction considering I'm fairly new here but, welcome to GH!

Offline midnightrun

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 09:02:14 »
Yeah! Just voted for it on MD! Fingers crossed :)

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 11:02:10 »
Damn I gotta say I'm taken aback by the support this set is getting.  Can I say thanks enough times?!  :'(    In the case of losing, I'll work on 808 in the traditional way and hope it becomes reality eventually.

Here's a shot of what I imagine the mod novelties could be labelled. Fun factor would have the whole bottom row with different labels reflecting 808 functions, but I set it up with the standard keyboard functions matching as they normally would:
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 October 2017, 15:37:26 by EightDiagram »

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 11:10:17 »
Hey Dude, nice to see you here. Hope this'll help you to spread and develop your design further. Really want to see this thread growing and watch 808 become reality.

For that sweet renders, you could reach to some of the guys in the community to help you with (for a commission) if you want. Names like thesiscamper, oblotzky, janglad and many other amazing artist, these guys made delicious renders of keebs.

Might not be a proper introduction considering I'm fairly new here but, welcome to GH!

Glad to step out of the shadows and appreciate the welcome.  Tbh I was apprehensive of knocking on the doors of those big names! but thanks to the feedback the set is getting, I will definitely reach out and get some sweet renders made, contest or no.

Offline joelfong

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 01:59:33 »
Voted for this! Really love the colors. Would be nice to have a Mac kit and a Colemak/Dvorak option though.

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 09:12:06 »
Voted for this! Really love the colors. Would be nice to have a Mac kit and a Colemak/Dvorak option though.

Thanks jf!   ;D

MD folks mentioned they wanted to limit the kits to keep things simple, and if we wanted to expand beyond the templates provided, to pursue our sets in the "traditional" way.  I entered as a first-timer and just hoping to get something out there with a lot of their help. 

If it doesn't work out with them, I'll work with the community to get the coverage that everyone wants and hopefully make it a reality sooner than later.

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 15:47:00 »
I'll see about moving this thread to the appropriate section now that the contest is done.  :-\

kle shot of 808 in gmk:

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 17:18:23 »
Some ideas that came to mind.  MiXed case on the labels is intentional:

« Last Edit: Fri, 13 October 2017, 17:22:43 by EightDiagram »

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 09:59:15 »
-Corrected color of F4 key; added music notes
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 October 2017, 10:14:43 by EightDiagram »

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 16:21:34 »
Mate even if your design doesn't win the contest, please pursue this as a normal GB. Not only is it a great colourway and interesting arrangement I am a particular fan of all the old school synths and drum machines and NEED this for my studio  :cool:

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 16:55:30 »
I am guessing OP you didn't win?

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 22:33:58 »
I haven't received any messages from massdrop so I'm assuming I lost.   :p

The response to 808 is encouraging enough to keep working on it though. One major element of the set I wanna take another look at is the profile.  Initially I was convinced DSA was the way to go, but after seeing it in GMK, I'm leaning in that direction a bit more.  Thoughts?

OR

What would be your preference for 808 and why?

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 22:40:44 »
Mate even if your design doesn't win the contest, please pursue this as a normal GB. Not only is it a great colourway and interesting arrangement I am a particular fan of all the old school synths and drum machines and NEED this for my studio  :cool:

You, me and quite a few other's apparently, though my leanings are more toward dj gear, mixers and the like.  I do own a roland r70, groovebox and hopefully a TR-8 soonish.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 09:16:12 »
I like the DSA for it.  I like the cylindrical and the legends better for what you're trying to accomplish.

Offline joelfong

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 08:35:27 »

The response to 808 is encouraging enough to keep working on it though. One major element of the set I wanna take another look at is the profile.  Initially I was convinced DSA was the way to go, but after seeing it in GMK, I'm leaning in that direction a bit more.  Thoughts?

Show Image

OR

Show Image

I personally enjoy typing on GMK a lot more than DSA. One big thing to consider though, is whether SP or GMK has colors similar to 808 that you can use. If not then there are likely additional charges for custom colors and a higher MOQ as well.

Might be worth starting a proper IC thread in the Interest Check forum and see what the rest of the community thinks about it.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 08:51:31 »
I can see this being incredibly expensive in GMK. I quite like it in DSA anyway.

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 11:16:58 »
Agreed.

I think too that majority of ppl that voted for it in the contest were drawn to DSA...aights will proceed with the original profile!

Next topic: original set I had proposed text-only novelties for bottom row.  Since then the idea of some simple icons came to mind.  What are your thoughts on:

-Base set without standard modifier labels.  Just 808-based text mods + icon (808-based) novelties?
-Base set with standard mod labels; 808 text novelties (no icons)
-Base set with standard mod labels; 808 icon novelties (no text)
-All of the above ($$$)

If a major draw to set are the 808 accents, is it really necessary to have regular modifiers at all?  Is it a requirement from the manufacturer or just community preference? Not having done this before, I've no clue.  ;D
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 October 2017, 11:20:50 by EightDiagram »

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 11:27:28 »

Show Image

OR

Show Image

I personally enjoy typing on GMK a lot more than DSA. One big thing to consider though, is whether SP or GMK has colors similar to 808 that you can use. If not then there are likely additional charges for custom colors and a higher MOQ as well.

Might be worth starting a proper IC thread in the Interest Check forum and see what the rest of the community thinks about it.

Great points.

When I was using the layout editor I loaded up the SP palette and was able to hit the right colors for everything *EXCEPT* the lime-ish green. Every other chip was either too green or too yellow.  I'll reach out to them and find out.

A proper IC is en route.  I just felt like after the MD contest, there was so much feedback I was missing that I'd be getting ahead of myself.  That said, I think it'll be safe to proceed after I get the color palette sorted.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 08:25:58 »
I often prefer GMK over DSA, but this set looks way better as DSA (from the basic renders at least). Maybe you could persuade some community member to create a 3D render for both profiles and see how it looks?
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 09:40:26 »
I've only gotten quotes for high-quality renders so far, and my pockets aren't deep enough to afford to do it more than once. Plan was to nail the profile and colors, then get the sweet renders up. 

I'm pretty new to the community so if anyone knows a more budget way to get renders done please chime in.  Sadly I don't have the time right now (or maybe ever!) to learn blender or a 3d app to get the job done.  Is there anyone in particular I could reach out to for some pro bono work?

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 12:58:16 »
Hey @EightDiagram, I really like the idea!

I'm in the process of figuring out an IC/GB myself. While looking at potential ideas, and as a techno listener, the 808 was definitely at the top of my list (for its great colours, more so than the 909.)

I too think the set would look better in GMK, however I only have a DSA layout on hand atm. Here's my take on it:

Right now, I'm working on DSA Scientific. But once I'm done with it, I'd be willing to put in some time on DSA 808.

Let me know what you think about the layout.

Edit: Actually, I just saw your additional mock-ups... and my layout is just like one of yours with the alphas/mods inverted! Looks good. Sorry about that. If you ever put this in motion I'm definitely interested and if you need help with the renders, let me know.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 December 2017, 16:26:57 by voodoo5 »

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 13:00:11 »
Hey there! Glad to find another 808/techno head here (and a fellow canuck to boot).  :thumb:

I decided to put the set on hold until there's some lull in the flow of new sets.  Of course, this may never happen and the best thing may be to push into the queue now, as it may take years anyways, however I just felt like there are too many sets being produced right now for 808 to have a solid release.  More time to polish and get feedback couldn't hurt.

Give me a holler when you're finished up with Scientific for sure! Good luck with it!

Offline tuppaware

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 01:39:00 »
I was just thinking, I wonder if anyone had made a 808 keycaps and found myself here.
You should still look at making a GB for this.

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 08:36:40 »
heyo I agree but haven't had the time to put my best effort forward. That said, it would be great to restart a conversation about what an 808 set could/should be and see where it goes. As some time has passed since my original idea was put forth, I've thought about scrapping the whole retro-wave aesthetic for something cleaner, or basic. I am also agreeable to work with someone of like mind who could see this set through to GB phase, or even hand off the reins entirely.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 19:13:05 »
heyo I agree but haven't had the time to put my best effort forward. That said, it would be great to restart a conversation about what an 808 set could/should be and see where it goes. As some time has passed since my original idea was put forth, I've thought about scrapping the whole retro-wave aesthetic for something cleaner, or basic. I am also agreeable to work with someone of like mind who could see this set through to GB phase, or even hand off the reins entirely.

You might try to contact SP directly.  With that new profile, they'd probably be looking for some unique sets to run themselves.

Offline tuppaware

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 21:03:46 »

Yeah, Retro has been sort of done to death in some ways.

but I could see the rainbow colours as part of the modifier keys though, or the numbers. Similar to the programming buttons on the 808

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 21:38:34 »
...but I could see the rainbow colours as part of the modifier keys though, or the numbers. Similar to the programming buttons on the 808

I really like this idea.

You might try to contact SP directly.  With that new profile, they'd probably be looking for some unique sets to run themselves.

Worth a shot. I'll poke the bear and see what happens.

Offline tuppaware

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 20:14:18 »
...but I could see the rainbow colours as part of the modifier keys though, or the numbers. Similar to the programming buttons on the 808

I really like this idea.

Worth a shot. I'll poke the bear and see what happens.

Ohhh yeeahhh!