Author Topic: WASD v2 + Leopold PBT Keycaps compatible?  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Grey_Warden

WASD v2 + Leopold PBT Keycaps compatible?
« on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 16:34:11 »
I've just ordered the TKL WASD v2 bare-bones and this set of Leopold PBT Keycaps http://www.ebay.com/itm/272166685744

Are they compatible? I guess my question is mainly for the spacebar since I've found some compatibility issues with other keycap sets' spacebar.

Also, what other popular PBT keycaps do people recommend on these forums that are compatible with WASD v2? I've found some but a lot of them have Spacebars either 6.00 or 7.00, no 6.25.

Thank you in advance.

Offline Tactile

Re: WASD v2 + Leopold PBT Keycaps compatible?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 17:58:11 »
I haven't seen any aftermarket MX keycap sets which didn't include a 6.25 spacebar. The set you linked to is a standard layout so, yes, it will fit a WASD keyboard. Any of these sets will also work.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Grey_Warden

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 18:42:56 »
What about this one for instance? It says 6.00 and 7.00, no 6.25.  http://www.geekkeys.com/geekkeys-dark-grey-dyesub-thick-pbt-full-keyset/

Also, are the Leopold keycaps I bought considered good? I never had a PBT I hope I made the right decision. I'm purchasing them for a Zealios 65g FYI if that even matters.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 18:46:37 »
What about this one for instance? It says 6.00 and 7.00, no 6.25.  http://www.geekkeys.com/geekkeys-dark-grey-dyesub-thick-pbt-full-keyset/

"104 keycaps for standard ANSI keyboards (ie. Filco, Das, Ducky, etc.)" ...and they then go on to list additional included caps, including a 6u and 7u spacebar.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Grey_Warden

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 19:53:53 »
Nice! Okay, so should I get the Geekkeys keycaps instead? Or is Leopold better? What's the difference exactly in terms of quality, sound etc.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 20:20:26 »
Nice! Okay, so should I get the Geekkeys keycaps instead? Or is Leopold better? What's the difference exactly in terms of quality, sound etc.

The Leopold set is lasered. I don't like lasered PBT keycaps. That doesn't mean they're "bad" - it just means that I wouldn't buy them. The set at GeekKeys look to be a very nice set. The only drawback it the coloring - the black on charcoal can be very hard to read and might as well be blank. I've had sets like this on a couple of Topre boards and it's not a problem for me but some folks don't like them.

In PBT keycaps I prefer dyesub (the GeekKeys set is dyesub), or blank.

I have a set of these and it's a very nice set.

You should probably start another thread asking about keycap profiles because often that will determine why you might choose one keycap set over another.
REΛLFORCE

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 20:43:46 »

The Leopold set is lasered. I don't like lasered PBT keycaps. That doesn't mean they're "bad" - it just means that I wouldn't buy them. The set at GeekKeys look to be a very nice set. The only drawback it the coloring - the black on charcoal can be very hard to read and might as well be blank. I've had sets like this on a couple of Topre boards and it's not a problem for me but some folks don't like them.

In PBT keycaps I prefer dyesub (the GeekKeys set is dyesub), or blank.

I have a set of these and it's a very nice set.

You should probably start another thread asking about keycap profiles because often that will determine why you might choose one keycap set over another.

But they're front lasered so the typing surface is blank, I love the caps personally. :D

Offline Riverman

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 18:18:31 »
But they're front lasered so the typing surface is blank, I love the caps personally. :D
Exactly.  I had a Leopold keyboard with the navy blue version of those keycaps, and they were just about the best I've used.  Nice and thick, and they had a great sound.  I liked the Cherry/Step Sculpture 2 profile, too.  The printing type doesn't matter if they're front printed since you won't ever touch the legends.  I also had a set of nearly identical Varmilo keycaps that were dye subbed.  The legends were a little fuzzy, but still very nice.

Online Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 18:30:50 »
Leopold's keycap sets should come with two 6.25u space bars: one that fits almost every 6.25 space key out there, and one that fits some older Leopold models specifically.

The keys are thick and I have heard about people having problems with fitting other thick key sets on keyboards with Costar-style stabilisers (that WASD Keyboards is using). I have not tested, but Leopold's space bar is thinner right in the places where the kinks should be in the stabilisers - so I think it is probable that those fitting issues would be averted.

I have a blank set on one of my keyboards (a Ducky with Cherry-style stabilisers), and it is the nicest blank set I have seen. Thick PBT, Cherry profile, very crisp edges and texture on top.

Edit: I suspect that Geekkeys' set is made by Gateron (from the shape of the F and J keys) - I have a couple of sets of Gateron keycaps and those have only slightly coarser texture and are less crisp than the Leopold's. The space bars are also not thinner in places, like Leopold's, so there is a higher risk of not fitting.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 August 2017, 18:41:20 by Findecanor »