Author Topic: KAM_Superuser - a command-line inspired keyset [feedback - update 2]  (Read 41682 times)

Offline nathanchere

Re: KAM_Superuser - a command-line inspired keyset [feedback - update 2]
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 03:17:32 »
Also for the arrow/cursor keys, maybe consider a kit with h j k l instead of left/right/etc for the vim reference

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 03:39:25 »
Also for the arrow/cursor keys, maybe consider a kit with h j k l instead of left/right/etc for the vim reference

You sir are correct, good idea.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline calvers70

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 05:26:26 »
Love this idea, at the very least, some stylised hjkl keys as part of a novelty kit would be awesome

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 06:35:01 »
I believe this would look real good in KAM Glossy. At least you should try some renders to see how it goes :)

Offline tobold

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 08:35:59 »
gotta say I'm a fan of the "very saturated green" shown

Offline whizzard

• whizzard got ur gizzard
    • LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 19:36:30 »
I think they're all okay, just the colon seems superfluous. But hey, the symbol seems to have grown on you and you're the creator, so it's fully your call.  :)

So after some testing the clear winners are:

[~]/>execute
and
[~/]>execute

If I'm understanding correctly the 2nd option should be more accurate. Cos you're taking away the hostname and user for space reasons, but you're working in some unspecified directory below the home directory and then the prompt. Whereas in the first one the / is part of the prompt and doesn't really do anything?

These sadly don't fit on anything smaller than 1.5u but it's workable.

You are definitely getting there... the second one looks good to me [~/]>execute

The ~ character represents the "/home" folder in many many Linux distros, and that is usually the default when you open a command terminal and is where all your personal stuff is stored.  As geewiz said, most users customize the prompt in some way so there is no hard and fast rule, so you could use #, $, :, > as the last character before the word in the legend.  For instance my prompt is crazy cause I use astronaut.  I don't recall ever seeing the '>' char in a prompt but as I said if you think it looks good that matters too.

Here is what a Debian and Ubuntu (super common distro) prompt default looks like these days for instance:

username@debian:~$

with either a blinking _, solid rectangle, or | representing the cursor position.  You can include that or not up to your taste.

this format is super common nowadays.  If you google terminal prompt you may get inspired as well.  As said earlier in the thread lean more towards unix / linux look and keep away from the matrix hacker look.  There are plenty of "futuristic matrix vaporwave hacker dude" looking sets as is.  Keep up the great work.

Offline obosob

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 02:53:29 »
I don't recall ever seeing the '>' char in a prompt but as I said if you think it looks good that matters too.

Windows command prompt, power shell, almost every REPL for scripting languages (python, nodejs), prompts for various clients to server applications (mysql, for instance). All by default of course, you can change your prompt. I would say > is a pretty broad and agnostic choice so could be good, I'm personally partial to $ but if it were my call I think I'd still choose >. Honestly IMO everything but the last char is too busy and I actually think going with just:
Code: [Select]
> execute_

would look good and convey the idea that it's a command being executed at a prompt or if one wants to go more *nix-y then:

$ execute_

Offline Argan12345

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 14:26:19 »
Is it going to be ABS KAM (a la KAM Starry Night) or PBT KAM (a la KAM Wraith)?

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 17:57:47 »
All KAM sets including Starry Night are PBT...

Offline whizzard

• whizzard got ur gizzard
    • LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 19:02:16 »
I don't recall ever seeing the '>' char in a prompt but as I said if you think it looks good that matters too.

Windows command prompt, power shell, almost every REPL for scripting languages (python, nodejs), prompts for various clients to server applications (mysql, for instance). All by default of course, you can change your prompt. I would say > is a pretty broad and agnostic choice so could be good, I'm personally partial to $ but if it were my call I think I'd still choose >. Honestly IMO everything but the last char is too busy and I actually think going with just:
> execute_

would look good and convey the idea that it's a command being executed at a prompt or if one wants to go more *nix-y then:

$ execute_

haha I totally called out for forgetting the C prompt.  I must have only been thinking linux... yea thats my excuse  ;D

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 20:21:40 »
Love this design, particularly the second revision!

Will def keep an eye out for this

Offline FreshFromTheGrave

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 15:11:42 »
WOAH I didn't realise this had gone to page 2! I won't reply individually but I will say that I'm still reading everything. The set is starting to take really great shape, kits are done, promo and renders in the works and gearing up to IC once all that is done and I get some Pantone chips. Things have progressed quite a lot from some of these initial renders but you'll just have to wait until the IC to see the results ;)

Offline cam

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 02:19:42 »
I would love to get a set of those! As and linux users for years I love it!

Personally, I prefer the update 1 with the light pastel green.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2020, 02:23:38 by cam »

Offline cam

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 02:35:41 »
The basic design is awesome, I would hope for something more interesting with the F1-F12 keys though since they stick out like sore thumbs. If not some kind of novelties, then staying with the aesthetic maybe just \\f1 \\f2 etc in same font style as the mods

Totally agree! ;)

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 17:16:32 »

There are mold pbt shiny (starry night and Little pilot) and mold matte (First set kam Wraith). Honestly, for this set i prefer mold pbt shiny

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 17:31:14 »
Coming off from a KAT Cyberspace high and I find this set. Back on the green high again.

Fully interested  :thumb:

Offline Maniac

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 15:31:01 »
A big YES from me too! I’m definitely in on this  :eek: Great job on this one!

Offline Argan12345

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 14:00:46 »

There are mold pbt shiny (starry night and Little pilot) and mold matte (First set kam Wraith). Honestly, for this set i prefer mold pbt shiny

Yeah my bad, I always associated shiny with ABS, when KAM (shiny or matte) has always been PBT.

And yes I totally agree, this needs to be PBT shiny.

Offline AussieBlue

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 00:05:50 »
I am a fan will be keeping an eye out can't wait to see more updates  :)

Offline FreshFromTheGrave

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 10:12:20 »
I finally got my Pantone fans boys and girls! Promo video is done, a few more renders to go and then it's time to hit everyone with that IC :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2020, 14:13:44 by FreshFromTheGrave »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 22:04:12 »
The positive reception to this colourway makes me think that something like Solarized Dark done in KAT could be nice, maybe even if desaturated.

Offline bitterseed

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 15:50:40 »
I think they're all okay, just the colon seems superfluous. But hey, the symbol seems to have grown on you and you're the creator, so it's fully your call.  :)

So after some testing the clear winners are:

[~]/>execute
and
[~/]>execute

If I'm understanding correctly the 2nd option should be more accurate. Cos you're taking away the hostname and user for space reasons, but you're working in some unspecified directory below the home directory and then the prompt. Whereas in the first one the / is part of the prompt and doesn't really do anything?

These sadly don't fit on anything smaller than 1.5u but it's workable.

One question about this. If you are going for the shell experience then why use "execute"? It's exec in the shell.

ben@NCC-71854:~$ execute irssi
execute: command not found

:)

Offline clug-dug

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 19:47:42 »
Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 02:41:43 »
this would be my first KAM set, but i agree i think the profile really matches the theme. 

cool vision :thumb:

Offline t3b4n

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 18:14:39 »
Please, take my money.