Author Topic: Need recommendations on DisplayPort/HDMI KVM.  (Read 5641 times)

Offline shadowku

Need recommendations on DisplayPort/HDMI KVM.
« on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 12:17:33 »
I want to use my keyboard+mouse on my desktop as well as on my Macbook Pro which is connected to the same monitor. I think one of the most common options for doing this is through a KVM but I just can't seem to find one that looks very reliable.

Anyone have one that they can recommend? I need one that has HDMI or preferably DisplayPort (I intend to upgrade to a 27" 2560x1440 monitor). Most KVMs that I have looked at have very mediocre reviews and have issues with automatically swapping the ports to find a signal or resizing the windows when swapping which I want to avoid.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Re: Need recommendations on DisplayPort/HDMI KVM.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 10:06:40 »
I'm not sure if you found a solution to this, but I've been using KVMs for almost 15 years now so I thought I could offer some help.

The hardest part of modern KVMs is the V=Video.  Luckily, most modern day monitors now have multiple input support, so switching the video right on the monitor itself can solve that issue.  Plus, if you're just leaving your Macbook open, you can just use the built-in screen (think multiple monitor setups) unless you really need it on the desktop--then you can just use the input select on the monitor.

So now that video is out of the way, you're left with the easy task of K and M.  Almost any cheap old kvm switch will do for just k and m.  I actually use a very similar setup to what I'm recommending, having two monitors on two different computers in a multi-monitor setup and just using the k and m part of my kvm to switch the keyboard and mouse.  I can see what both systems are doing all the time as I'm not switching video at all.

Hope this helps!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 16:19:22 »
I was using KVM back in the day..

The best solution is to just get m0ar monitors, and use a software solution for K/M..

The primary reason is,  a good KVM switch that doesn't bug the **** out costs as much as a cheap monitor anyway.. hahahahha

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 16:03:52 »
I've used KVM's for years as well. Currently at work i use an iogear KVMA with USB/VGA setup to use my macbook air and win7 desktop together. Anyone have any experience with using a teensy or fully programable keyboard through one of these KVMs?

I also have an old logitech maybe? PS2 kvm if someone wants it.
-Dana