Author Topic: [IC] KIRA EXS  (Read 18372 times)

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
Re: [IC] KIRA EXS
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 01:21:08 »
are there pics showing the differences between the EX and EXS versions?

The EX has thicker bezels, a second prototype should arrive by March, after Chinese New Year.

The height of the front is around 22.5mm without bumpons, the middle insert provides the clearance for the USB so you kinda need it.

The EX version should look like the one in this post: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90702.msg2463256#msg2463256

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline mago

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 07:35:08 »
Will a brass plate option be offered as well?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 02:06:06 »
Will a brass plate option be offered as well?

That shouldn't be a problem.

Offline stillzman

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 13:44:06 »
Will there be an acrylic diffuser/spacer for this?

Offline RichardH

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 16:55:58 »
Interested. I like the Kira weight. Looking for a black or dark grey.. a light diffuser would be excellent too.. any eta on the gb?

-Rich

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 17:59:47 »
Will there be an acrylic diffuser/spacer for this?

It is an option, as seen in kingnestea's board: https://imgur.com/a/pmmLi

Interested. I like the Kira weight. Looking for a black or dark grey.. a light diffuser would be excellent too.. any eta on the gb?

-Rich

beamingrobot is readying stuff, should be in a couple of weeks or so.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 00:47:20 »
I like the original Kira weight, but here's a thought: the part that shows through at the bottom seems pretty small compared to the large 1800 case.  Seems a bit unbalanced. (I realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  In my subjective opinion, the small centered ornate design on the huge plain background is not flattering either of them). I'd rather see a full rectangle of the weight below the case, with the logo engraved (and whatever other text).
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 February 2018, 00:49:24 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline mago

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 15:02:18 »
If blue is picked as one of the two colors, will it be close to GMK Hydros?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 08:51:19 »
I like the original Kira weight, but here's a thought: the part that shows through at the bottom seems pretty small compared to the large 1800 case.  Seems a bit unbalanced. (I realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  In my subjective opinion, the small centered ornate design on the huge plain background is not flattering either of them). I'd rather see a full rectangle of the weight below the case, with the logo engraved (and whatever other text).

Thank you for your suggestion. The truth is, I don't really want to do what other makers have been doing, and making another rectangular weight just feels so lazy and unoriginal for me. This is also why I don't stick to just one design for the sides. If people like it enough to do a small run then that's great, if not then it's okay too. I'll just try to keep on coming up with new ones until I've lost interest or more likely, money  :)).

I understand what you mean about the weight design looking a bit small, and I think that is true for the 60%, but for this layout the sun and stars are the right size I feel.

tldr:
There are enough boards with that one look, and I'd like to do something that's at least a bit different.

It will be a brighter blue than the prototype, I think I already have a sample and I'll try to find it.

edit:
I forgot to say, I am trying to come up with a new weight design for my next projects, but this board will stay as is.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 February 2018, 09:48:59 by thesiscamper »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 20:47:57 »
Thanks for your reply :)  Yeah, I understand about rectangular weights.  I wasn't suggesting a rectangular weight because it's standard, but rather as a simple quick solution for a more balanced size (and probably a lower CNC price).  In any event, it's your vision, so you should do what makes you happy.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 13:19:30 »
Thanks for your reply :)  Yeah, I understand about rectangular weights.  I wasn't suggesting a rectangular weight because it's standard, but rather as a simple quick solution for a more balanced size (and probably a lower CNC price).  In any event, it's your vision, so you should do what makes you happy.

But the Kira weight looks so good on my 60. And it’s already so heavy.

I already have cases with bar weights. This is more fun. 

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 19:52:20 »

Thank you for your suggestion. The truth is, I don't really want to do what other makers have been doing, and making another rectangular weight just feels so lazy and unoriginal for me. This is also why I don't stick to just one design for the sides. If people like it enough to do a small run then that's great, if not then it's okay too. I'll just try to keep on coming up with new ones until I've lost interest or more likely, money  :)).

I understand what you mean about the weight design looking a bit small, and I think that is true for the 60%, but for this layout the sun and stars are the right size I feel.

tldr:
There are enough boards with that one look, and I'd like to do something that's at least a bit different.

It will be a brighter blue than the prototype, I think I already have a sample and I'll try to find it.

edit:
I forgot to say, I am trying to come up with a new weight design for my next projects, but this board will stay as is.

Aww, so no Navy Blue? :(

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 21:21:05 »

I'll be looking into larger weight designs that show from the bottom, but it will unlikely be a rectangular bar.  :thumb:

More

But the Kira weight looks so good on my 60. And it’s already so heavy.

I already have cases with bar weights. This is more fun. 

I feel it looks small compared to the area of the bottom, but I am glad you like it. Thanks!

More

tldr:

edit:

Aww, so no Navy Blue? :(

Unlikely, but beamingrobot and I will look into it.

Offline ray160

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 15:01:49 »
Will the PCB be holtite compatible?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 17:10:23 »
Will the PCB be holtite compatible?

I haven't tried so I can't be sure.

Offline DillonHightower

• Formerly DillonHighsmith
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 08:56:42 »
Is this seriously going to be limited to only 30 units!?  Sad day if so...

Offline ch4rd

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 09:09:00 »

Indeed.

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 09:10:35 »
Logistically speaking 25-30 units would be the easiest to handle on our end and turn around/production time is faster too. Those who joined the KIRA60 buy can attest to that.
http://monokei.co

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline DillonHightower

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 09:17:34 »
Logistically speaking 25-30 units would be the easiest to handle on our end and turn around/production time is faster too. Those who joined the KIRA60 buy can attest to that.

At the end of the day , I speak for my self and probably others as well but, most would not mind waiting ~ 6 months for something great like this, if persay the Gb was limited to roughly 100 units this timeline could be achieved and more could actually have a chance of getting in. Also over all, you may be able to save a little more on cost due to higher volume intake. ❤️❤️❤️
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 February 2018, 09:22:45 by DillonHightower »

Offline RichardH

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 09:46:39 »
Is it going to be a raffle?

-Rich

Offline DillonHightower

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 09:56:01 »
Is it going to be a raffle?

-Rich
Yep. That is what was said

Offline ray160

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 16:23:47 »
I wouldn't mind a longer wait!

Offline Aktavate

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 19:22:07 »

At the end of the day , I speak for my self and probably others as well but, most would not mind waiting ~ 6 months for something great like this, if persay the Gb was limited to roughly 100 units this timeline could be achieved and more could actually have a chance of getting in. Also over all, you may be able to save a little more on cost due to higher volume intake. ❤️❤️❤️

Agreed, I don't care if it's "exclusive limited production" and I don't need it right away, but I really like the design.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 19:28:46 »
Keep quantity low. Kira60 is one of the nicest boards I've gotten. I don't wanna risk quality slipping just to make sure more people can get one. Not every keyboard needs to be accessible. I'm guessing getting QC this good was not easy.

Offline DillonHightower

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 21:25:31 »
Keep quantity low. Kira60 is one of the nicest boards I've gotten. I don't wanna risk quality slipping just to make sure more people can get one. Not every keyboard needs to be accessible. I'm guessing getting QC this good was not easy.

Low numbers has nothing to do with quality. Taking the necessary time and being ivloved with the product while it’s being manufactured does. 100 units is very obtainable to have great quality and a Managable timeline. Look at every duck gb, look at tx 1800 gb, and many others. . All those boards are amazing.  And they have had more than a handful of boards being made per buy.

If small numbers is purley to deliver boards in a small amount of time, most would not mind if the timeline was doubled in order to have more openings. I mean you could even do it in waves. ( first 30 to be delivered in x amount of time. And every 30 after to follow x amount of days/months later)

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 00:24:08 »
1. Logistically:

We won't be able to fulfill that many units, not when both my wife and I have day jobs/studies and can only do monokei stuff at night.

2. Turn around time:

Much faster with fewer units, and easier for us to work on QC directly with the factory and stuff like that.

3. $:

I always do buys based on how much buffer I have. Which means $ for 30 units set apart in my personal bank account in case **** hits the fan so that I can cover any cost, even if the entire buy fails. I simply do not have that much $ lying around.

Anyway, I think it's better to work with smaller buys, easier in terms of working through different configs, I can dedicate more time to QC of individual boards and stuff like that.

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 01:48:58 »
Exclusivity is not the intention, it's just the reality of beamingrobot's situation, ie. he can only handle smaller buys. Personally, I'm just sharing what I've designed to others who like it too. Maybe if monokei gets the hang of it and we're still making things people want then we can raise the MOQ.

We're just keeping it simple and easy to handle for now.

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 01:52:41 »
Please, make more units, I don't mind waiting like most of the folks here. There is always bitterness after raffles it's inevitable.

Offline Chimera

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 11:16:55 »
Is the plan still this week for the group buy?

There is a few other 96's I've been looking at but I like this one a lot.

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 11:36:50 »
Yup it'll be up this week

Offline Chimera

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 12:24:41 »
Yup it'll be up this week

is there a price yet?

Offline Genn

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 13:59:50 »
Considering that the Kira96 is being handled by IC, is there going to be a "true" 96-key Kira board? I mean, one of equal quality to the Kira EXS and 60. I prefer the 96-key layout, and I highly doubt the IC one will be as nice as this, so I wouldn't wanna miss out on owning one.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 18:09:49 »
Considering that the Kira96 is being handled by IC, is there going to be a "true" 96-key Kira board? I mean, one of equal quality to the Kira EXS and 60. I prefer the 96-key layout, and I highly doubt the IC one will be as nice as this, so I wouldn't wanna miss out on owning one.

I haven't seriously thought about it, and even if I design one it will not be anytime soon. There a few boards that I have finished doing CAD for, a few that have prototypes made, and I haven't really considered doing a true 96-key in the near future. It shouldn't take long to make a CAD for one anyway, maybe a few hours. The design is already there, just need to translate it to something that can be manufactured. It's just further down the list of priorities.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 22:14:04 »
I hope to see some anodizing color options that mimic other metals, like pewter, bronze, copper.  Pewter would be neutral enough but not quite the plain standard silver.  The logo on the EX prototype looks great!

Offline paulforgione

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 22:21:32 »
I totally understand the logistics of making this a smaller group buy. I’d love to hop into the raffle for this, since I’ve been following the Kira projects for ages and am in need of an 1800 layout. Also, the thing looks gorgeous.

BUT. I’m saddened by this being USB mini. I get it, it’s currently ubiquitous in the MK community. Lots of folks have invested in custom cables to match their boards. It’s probably easier (and cheaper?) to find a mini port to solder onto the board than it is a USB C one. But still, Mini is basically a dead connector. It’s only going to get more niche. Plus, we could all enjoy having a reversible cable that’s more durable when swapping between boards.

Sorry to go on a rant about this here. I was just catching up and was excited by the EXS news until I saw the connector. I may still hop in anyway, but I just wanted to voice my concern for any future GBs or concepts you may have coming up. Good luck with the buy!

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 03:05:12 »
I totally understand the logistics of making this a smaller group buy. I’d love to hop into the raffle for this, since I’ve been following the Kira projects for ages and am in need of an 1800 layout. Also, the thing looks gorgeous.

BUT. I’m saddened by this being USB mini. I get it, it’s currently ubiquitous in the MK community. Lots of folks have invested in custom cables to match their boards. It’s probably easier (and cheaper?) to find a mini port to solder onto the board than it is a USB C one. But still, Mini is basically a dead connector. It’s only going to get more niche. Plus, we could all enjoy having a reversible cable that’s more durable when swapping between boards.

Sorry to go on a rant about this here. I was just catching up and was excited by the EXS news until I saw the connector. I may still hop in anyway, but I just wanted to voice my concern for any future GBs or concepts you may have coming up. Good luck with the buy!

Hi! I understand your point/s, and it is indeed better to move forward. Please understand that we are relatively new players in the custom board field, and as such we had to choose the safest reasonable route for the group buys. We can be biting off more than we can chew instead, and let participants deal with the issues when they arise, be it higher MOQ or offering more flexibility to layouts, etc. We didn't want that, and we didn't want the headache of dealing with those stuff.

I will look into this, and weigh the pros and cons of switching to Type-C. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 08:48:58 »
Thanks for the comments everyone, GB thread is up so we'll move over to that thread for any further discussion!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94290.0