geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] DCS Islander

(1/9) > >>

zhol:
DCS ISLANDER
IC FORM | IC FORM 2 | DISCORD

that's right! it's another DCS set originally designed by someone else, now it's more expensive, and the kitting is a kick in the teeth. the runner might be abusing your sense of fomo in one way or another, they clearly don't have enough friends/clout to run what should be a private group buy, and the IC was slapped together in half an hour, but by god do you love Gorton font.

vendors and pricing details

vendor: me. paypal goods and services invoice. if enough people tell me they'd buy into this, I order 50 sets (plus a few extras to cover possible errors) with my own money. i wait for a few months. they show up at my apartment. i put them into boxes. i take pictures of all of them to prove they exist. then, you buy them from me.
target price: $123 USD + cost of packaging & shipping to you
target MOQ: 50. this is a reasonable number of packages for one person to ship. if, for the grace of god, there are far more people who want this than 50, then I'll find a vendor to help out.

if you think the target price is rough, believe me, I know. i'm trying not to be greedy. with current kitting, the quote I have got back from SP is about USD $118/set at 50 MOQ. if re-kitting brings the cost down, then i'll provide a corresponding price drop.

colors?

the color chips from SP that I'm considering using are:

* VCO for Green
* BGU BGQ for Blue
* WCK for Alpha keys
* TGV or TBN for legends
that being said, I've got a package of color chips on the way that I'm going to be using to compare to some source material to get as nice of a match as I can reasonably get with the reference material i've got. I've got multiple options for the green, blue, alpha color, and legend color to work with, in case one of those happens to be a bit better. i'll provide photos to compare each to the reference material.

kitting

that's right, it's a KRK render! the kitting render is by no means a reflection of what you should expect from a finished product, and is just a basic sketch to get things figured out conceptually. it'll be subject to change to address what customers want and what I can stomach for price. you can expect re-renders for if kitting changes and when I can point out how render doesn't quite match what I see IRL.

notes:

* will make sure to request use of the "thin" legend mold for the quote key
* thanks to ankit, this has the good 6u stab placement! will make note of this in production order
there's a lot of support missing from here in order to keep things aggressively cheap at this low MOQ. i get that the choices to not include some keys will rightfully annoy people. here are some kitting decisions/excuses explained:

* I think F13 can be filled by an artisan you own, R1 Delete is only physically required 1800s (split backspace can be fulfilled with pipe-tilde), and isn't a necessity when R1 tilde is there.
* DCS concave minibars aren't comfortable, and are expensive to add - this is kinda hard to justify when the kit is already this expensive, and the margins are razor thin. If you do need minibars, iirc WCK should be a decent match for WS4, so you can supplement with bars from Zimo, Camping, Maestro, Dandy, etc.
* lack of DCS minibars also informs lack of Alice B.
* lack of mod pipe and mod tilde is a constraint that I feel is handled enough by there being legend compat for alpha pipe and tilde. alpha tilde on split backspace boards is what I ended up liking more after having my ivory hhkb pro 2 on my desk for long enough.
* 11u+12u+13u support over minivan is a reflection of my own tastes (I want to fit this on bully). to be honest, I haven't seen that many minivan layout boards be released in the past year or so, but I have seen a lot of Vault35 owners over the past year.
* my gut check says this being fulfilled out of the US is going to scare off a lot of ISO users to begin with, and I don't know if ISO users would come out in genuine conditional support of this as much as, say, 40's would. prove me wrong, the IC form is there for you!
* gotta have the 6u bar. yeah I know it's expensive, but I gotta have it.
if enough people come into the IC form to yell at me to change kitting because there is something genuinely stopping them from buying it, I promise i'll hear you out.

thanks

* dom, gggggg, kok, chippy for kitting advice
* cuteasheck, the render champ
* abec13 for hearing me out
* you, dear reader, for making it to the end
to-do & updates

* take photos of color chips when they arrive
* re-render to match color chips when they arrive
* re-kit and adjust pricing when quote adjustments come in
* address IC form response
changelog

* Correct 1.5u R2 backspace legend
* Fixed banner image with correct blue modifier color

ankit:
yea im down for like 2

edit: does that 1.5u backspace legend actually exist? any chance of replacing w/ text only like alchemy

zhol:

--- Quote from: ankit on Wed, 06 March 2024, 16:32:38 ---edit: does that 1.5u backspace legend actually exist? any chance of replacing w/ text only like alchemy

--- End quote ---

ahh balls that might be on me, that's my bad. we may have used legend from van backspace, i'll ask render person for another fix. i need to check with melissa just in case, so if it doesn't, then text-only is definitely the move.
edit: edited kitting render to show text-only backspace

stidal:
how much is 123 usd in bells

white_rabbit:
Form filled, will buy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version