Author Topic: Re-using desoldered MX switches in hotswap boards  (Read 2435 times)

Offline sandywind

Re-using desoldered MX switches in hotswap boards
« on: Sat, 04 December 2021, 08:15:23 »
Is that possible without compromising the socket? It is very hard to remove all tin residues from the contact pins. The pin diameter will be somewhat irregular and larger.
Corsair Vengeance K65 w/ SP DCS Twilight Keycaps | Poker II w/ Danger Zone keycaps | HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87UW55 | IBM PC BS 80's | OLKB Planck | IC WhiteFox | Varmilo VA87ML

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
Re: Re-using desoldered MX switches in hotswap boards
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 December 2021, 08:25:04 »
Is that possible without compromising the socket? It is very hard to remove all tin residues from the contact pins. The pin diameter will be somewhat irregular and larger.

It is possible to use desoldered switches with hotswap PCBs, but like you said if the solder is not at least mostly removed it can damage the sockets. What I have done to make desoldered switches viable for hotswap is to just take a hot, tinned solder iron & run it down the pins. That will wick off any excess solder & make what stays form a very thin layer on the pins that won't push the sockets farther apart than a fresh pins. Obviously you have to be extra careful with the iron close to the bottom housing, but this method has worked many times for me.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 December 2021, 20:10:21 »
I basically did what Rob did on my first hotswap board. The next board I bought I used brand new switches because removing the solder on the pins was so time consuming. So it can be done but it will take some time.

Offline sandywind

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 December 2021, 05:42:25 »
Thank you for your answers.  These used switches are Gateron black which I removed from a Varmilo due to chattering problems (some 10% of the switches had chattering problems).  Since they would be the first switches I lube, I'll use them as a test.  If I can't clean them properly, I'll consider buying some more JWK linears for my new board.
Corsair Vengeance K65 w/ SP DCS Twilight Keycaps | Poker II w/ Danger Zone keycaps | HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87UW55 | IBM PC BS 80's | OLKB Planck | IC WhiteFox | Varmilo VA87ML