Author Topic: Remember Cat Fancy?  (Read 3309 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Remember Cat Fancy?
« on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 16:22:02 »
It's just weird to think that for multiple decades there was a monthly magazine just about cats. EVERY MONTH! And people bought it! What a country.

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
Re: Remember Cat Fancy?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 16:39:32 »
I actually had a subscription for that in the early late 90's/early 2000's. It was actually full of good advice on pet care and interesting articles on breeds. Make no mistake though, it was originally intended for people involved in breeding and cat shows, not pet owners.

Now though you can find better/more detailed advice on dedicated websites and forums. I use these places mainly to scope out relatively inexpensive pet food with higher nutritional value and lower plant/grain content (cats are obligate carnivores. They do not have the digestive tract to handle foods like Purina or Hill's Science Diet, so the more plant material in the food, the harder it is for them to digest. A 40 dollar 11 pound bag of Nature's Variety Instinct will actually save you money in the long run. I've seen one of those bags feed three cats for over a month.)
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 17:23:40 »
You should feed Orijen or Natural Balance if you really love them. $140 10# bag retail. Seen some sketchy sites as low as $75. You already know grain free so if you do perhaps have the money it is worth it. I have had 12 Year Breeds live nearly 30 years. No lie.

We have Grand Champions at National so yes I remember the Mag but I knew more anyways. It was not until recently they discovered the diets.

People wonder how can one of our cats be for sale for $75,000. First it funds everything lol. Second talking F1 Savannah. Third Grand champion parents. They actually go for that in that condition.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 18:25:02 »
I was too busy reading Slap and Big Brother to actually even know there was such a thing as a Cat Fancy magazine. The magazine falls and the Crazy Cat lady Action Figure prevails. So it goes. Long live Catster.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 19:07:13 »
Didn't know how to read until 2 years after I got internet.  So..... pretty much never read any magazine ever.

I did eventually subscribe dat xbox magazine, but never read them, only played the demos.

Offline portbaron

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 04:01:09 »
We had a subscription in the 90s. I think I just liked looking at the pictures when I was in elementary school.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline Carcharocles

• The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 08:34:01 »
You should feed Orijen or Natural Balance if you really love them. $140 10# bag retail. Seen some sketchy sites as low as $75. You already know grain free so if you do perhaps have the money it is worth it. I have had 12 Year Breeds live nearly 30 years. No lie.

We chose Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost because because Natural Balance was taken over by a shifty company a few years back (Del Monte I believe, although apparently Smuckers owns them now). Orijen is waaaaay too expensive--I only get 750 dollars a month. Natural Balance can be had for a mere 30 or so.

Nature's Variety also has a higher animal protein content (even without the freeze dried chicken) and absolutely no allergens. The cats love it, and my 11 year old girl Smokey is as peppy as when she was 3.

Most deadly of them all.

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 23:57:22 »
Did not know this but verified. Very angry about Natural balance now. All these companies sell out or have a virus at some point. For now Orijen is probably tops. I understand though you can't buy it on that budget and that is fine too. Your food is very good so nothing wrong with that.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 00:07:24 »
Yeh. When I first got my cat I had her on Orijen and they changed the formula from 100% protein to using brewers rice and she wouldn't even go near it. Took me 2 weeks to figure out she wasn't eating because they added grain and she was used to all meat. 2 weeks and about $400 in vet bills.

Offline Carcharocles

• The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 10:59:38 »
Ugh. Brewer's rice is a cheap filler. If you can afford to, stay away from foods that have it.

Most deadly of them all.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 11:55:19 »
This thread reminds me why I've avoided pets in my adult years. Holy empanadas

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 17:12:07 »

In poorer countries,  they just suck it up and let foofoo 1 die.. and move on to foofoo 2..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 22:33:15 »

In poorer countries,  they just suck it up and let foofoo 1 die.. and move on to foofoo 2..

Yea, my folks had a little tiny pup when we lived in Panama (my old man was a chef at Coco Solo). I bet the local Panamanians weren't pleased.

Offline typo

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 05:33:38 »
Man this sucks! They all sell out. What is top now? Do not care if cheap or expensive. Important to me to feed the best food but I cannot keep up with these ingredients. 2 weeks? Wow! usually dead in 4-5 days. That was very lucky. Plus $400 vet bill? Where are you? I don't doubt you. Here the bill for 2 weeks if they made it maybe guessing $10,000! I gotta move dang.