Author Topic: [GB] Alps Throwback - Brand New PBT Dye-sub Alps Keycap Set  (Read 27081 times)

Offline M4dn3ss

Re: [GB] Alps Throwback - Brand New PBT Dye-sub Alps Keycap Set
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 05:54:15 »
I've just gotten around to checking these out and disappointingly I noticed that there are absolutely no homing marks/scoops/etc on the F/J keys or any other keys.

Is this supposed to be the case? In the renders it shows a deep cylindrical dish (not sure exactly what you call it) on the F key but the actual keycap is physically identical to the others for the home row.

If this is in fact intended I wouldn't have bothered with this set and if I didn't care about homing keys I would have just gotten some IBM 5140 keycaps instead.

Offline spyruf

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 23:01:04 »
is anyone willing to just sell their 7u spacebar?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 23:54:27 »
I've just gotten around to checking these out and disappointingly I noticed that there are absolutely no homing marks/scoops/etc on the F/J keys or any other keys.

Is this supposed to be the case? In the renders it shows a deep cylindrical dish (not sure exactly what you call it) on the F key but the actual keycap is physically identical to the others for the home row.

If this is in fact intended I wouldn't have bothered with this set and if I didn't care about homing keys I would have just gotten some IBM 5140 keycaps instead.

I'm pretty sure they were never scooped homing keys.  If you notice, the set is comically different from the "render" that they sold the set on.  The actual set is based on the full kit 2d image in the OP.  The 3d render has nice beige mods with thick Cherry style legends.  But the reality is super thin, wonky "J" font printed on gray mods with most legends about to fall of the left side of the keycap.  Oh, and space bars that might not fit.  It's an alps set. That's about all it has going for it.  Guess we should ask for blanks next time.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 April 2019, 23:56:16 by pixelpusher »

Offline M4dn3ss

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 09:29:41 »

I'm pretty sure they were never scooped homing keys.  If you notice, the set is comically different from the "render" that they sold the set on.  The actual set is based on the full kit 2d image in the OP.  The 3d render has nice beige mods with thick Cherry style legends.  But the reality is super thin, wonky "J" font printed on gray mods with most legends about to fall of the left side of the keycap.  Oh, and space bars that might not fit.  It's an alps set. That's about all it has going for it.  Guess we should ask for blanks next time.
Honestly I do think it's a nice set, but the lack of homing keys makes it useless to me.

Yes the actual set is based on the 2D image, but homing keys are something you assume should be in every keycap set; I have not heard of any modern keycap set without homing keys. If it wasn't a production error, it's absolutely mind boggling as to why they were omitted.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 April 2019, 09:32:44 by M4dn3ss »

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 00:33:44 »
Hey guys, sent out an email, but just in case you missed it--the replacement spacebars that SP was remaking in ABS arrived...but are mistakenly still PBT WBK so I just shot Melissa a note about actually redoing them in ABS this time. Stay tuned.

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 00:01:54 »
There are a few (3) extra base sets that I scrounged up available now if anyone is interested:

https://www.deskcandy.xyz/shop/alps-throwback-keycap-set-k748c?category=keycaps

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 19:11:17 »
There are a few (3) extra base sets that I scrounged up available now if anyone is interested:

They're gone now :'(

Offline shansoft

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 20:45:03 »

Anymore coming up!?  :(

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 00:46:03 »
Not at the moment sorry :(