Author Topic: None coil spring MX brown 60% homemade keyboard  (Read 1444 times)

Offline morbid42

• AnonymousKeyboardScavenger
None coil spring MX brown 60% homemade keyboard
« on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 11:50:22 »
replace the coil spring with the buckling rubber sleeve from Mitsumi hybrid switch keyboard
low cost acrylic sandwich case, selfdesigned pcb, and also solenoid included
the rubber sleeve just fit with the mx switch and XDA kaycaps, and it just works fine, did not test any other keycaps
anyone wanna try this? :p
262307-0
262309-1
262311-2
262313-3
262315-4
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 February 2021, 04:12:38 by morbid42 »

Offline Maledicted

Re: none coil spring cheery mx switch 60% custom keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 11:59:49 »
replace the coil spring with the buckling rubber sleeve from Mitsumi hybrid switch keyboard
the rubber sleeve just fit with the mx switch and xda kaycaps, and it just works fine, did not test any other keycaps

You frankensteined Mitsumi rubber sleeves into ... Cherry MX browns?

That being said, how does it feel and sound? It looks like you may have only done it to the alphanumerics? I imagine this has, at the very least (based on the pictures), changed overall travel? How far does the slider even descend before actuation?

Makes me think of the TG3 "cop" keyboards. Have you ever tried one? This style, specifically:

They have rubber "raincoats" that also have domes for each MX black switch. They add rubber dome-esque tactility.

Offline morbid42

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 12:05:42 »
the rubber sleeve just fit with the mx switch and xda kaycaps, and it just works fine, did not test any other keycaps

Show Image

That being said, how does it feel and sound? It looks like you may have only done it to the alphanumerics? I imagine this has, at the very least (based on the pictures), changed overall travel? How far does the slider even descend before actuation?

Makes me think of the TG3 "cop" keyboards. Have you ever tried one? This style, specifically:

Show Image

They have rubber "raincoats" that also have domes for each MX black switch. They add rubber dome-esque tactility.
maybe not quite frankensteined :p,  just remoce the coil springs, and put the rubber sleeves between the top housing and keycaps
this can make a linear switch tactile, and make a tactile switch far more tactile, the rubber sleeve just push the slider back, and provide some tactile, works pretty fine
I know tg3, but I don't have one of these

typing demo posted
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 February 2021, 12:12:14 by morbid42 »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 12:10:01 »

Show Image

Show Image

maybe not quite frankensteined :p,  just remoce the coil springs, and put the rubber sleeves between the top housing and keycaps
typing demo posted

Only the first picture was loading before. So you left the coil springs in the modifiers, space bar, etc? It looks great.  :thumb:

Very interesting. So the sleeves seem to be all that's necessary to hold the sliders at the same resting position as the coil springs did.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 February 2021, 18:22:57 by Maledicted »

Offline morbid42

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 12:20:18 »

Show Image

Show Image

typing demo posted

Only the first picture was loading before. So you left the coil springs in the modifiers, space bar, etc? It looks great.  :thumb:

I'll have to watch the video later.

yep, I put 35g coil springs in space bar, enter, ctrl, etc, for more return force

Offline Findecanor

Re: None coil spring cherry mx switch 60% homemade keyboard
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 12:41:39 »
Interesting. How is the tactile event vs the actuation point?

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 13:31:37 »
I’m intrigued, how does it compare to topre? Or any other MX tactile?

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 13:59:33 »
I have a question or two about this, because they popped in my head and this project is very interesting. Do the buckling rubber sleeves lead to a feel more like a membrane keyboard, with the spongier bottom out feel, or like a mix of topre and traditional mechanical? Or does it land closer to those "mechanical feel" membrane boards you can see on Amazon being sold as cheap alternatives to a mechanical? And most importantly, do you like it more than a traditional spring for your switch, or is this mainly an experiment to see what it is like?

Offline morbid42

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 18:52:08 »
Interesting. How is the tactile event vs the actuation point?

the mx brown tactile and ruber sleeve tacktile stack together that created a big rOund tactile, got the same actuation point as normal mx brown switches , it feels ok but bit of hard to describe

Offline morbid42

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 18:55:52 »
I’m intrigued, how does it compare to topre? Or any other MX tactile?

I can tell that it feels a bit like holy pander switches which provide a big round tactile

Offline morbid42

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 19:07:35 »
I have a question or two about this, because they popped in my head and this project is very interesting. Do the buckling rubber sleeves lead to a feel more like a membrane keyboard, with the spongier bottom out feel, or like a mix of topre and traditional mechanical? Or does it land closer to those "mechanical feel" membrane boards you can see on Amazon being sold as cheap alternatives to a mechanical? And most importantly, do you like it more than a traditional spring for your switch, or is this mainly an experiment to see what it is like?

In my build, there's enough spasce for the rubber sleeves between the keycaps and switch top housing, so the slider can hit the bottom first when the key is pressed, so the key fell is not mushy at all. maybe abit like topre, but more like holy pander like switches, got a big round tactile, and it low cost. without the coil spring, no more spring noise!
I just like all kinds of weird vintage switch and keyboard, this rubber sleeve mechanical keyboard is the only mx switch keyboard that I have, I'll share my other project later ;D
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 February 2021, 04:32:08 by morbid42 »