Author Topic: What Topre Boards would you recommend for a first timer.  (Read 4322 times)

Offline superiorgorg30

What Topre Boards would you recommend for a first timer.
« on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 12:13:47 »
Hello,

A friend of mine is heading to Japan in two weeks and I would really like to get a Topre board. I have never used let alone seen a Topre board (friends and colleges think i'm weird for this hobby) so I was hoping that some of you could help in recommending a board.

I will probably be using the board for mainly for work where I am currently using a Pok3r.

Thank you   :thumb:

Offline Comfortable

Re: What Topre Boards would you recommend for a first timer.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 12:22:28 »
Hello,

A friend of mine is heading to Japan in two weeks and I would really like to get a Topre board. I have never used let alone seen a Topre board (friends and colleges think i'm weird for this hobby) so I was hoping that some of you could help in recommending a board.

I will probably be using the board for mainly for work where I am currently using a Pok3r.

I have been using a Pok3r for the last few months and bought a HHKB pro 2 last week to compare. I love the feeling of it so far. Switching my brain over to the new layout is a process but I really recommend it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 12:24:27 »
Hello,

HHKB Pro 2 (if bluetooth is a needed option, the HHKB BT is great) if you want something small/compact and are okay with the layout, or 55g Realforce if you want something larger with a more standard layout.

Offline superiorgorg30

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 12:27:56 »
Thank you, I like the small form factor of the poker so the small size of the HHKB would be perfect. Didn't know that the made a bluetooth one, just thought that was a "mod" but would be something to look at.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 12:30:14 »
Thank you, I like the small form factor of the poker so the small size of the HHKB would be perfect. Didn't know that the made a bluetooth one, just thought that was a "mod" but would be something to look at.

It used to be only a mod, then PFU started offering the BT in Black, and just recently a White Version released as well.

Offline superiorgorg30

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 12:34:23 »
I'll have to write a small shopping list for my friend so he know what to look for. Might as well go for one now that he is heading there so hopefully get it a little cheaper. Providing he can find a shop that sells them.  :)

Offline teraflame

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 18:17:53 »
Can't go wrong with FC660C. I like it more than hhkb.
Rubber in domes

Offline sodiumjoe

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 22:54:51 »
Can't go wrong with FC660C. I like it more than hhkb.
+1 great form factor and much easier to learn the layout.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 23:53:21 »
Have you tried a topre board before, or can borrow one/ go to a meetup ?

I am just trying to ensure you have REALISTIC expectations of Topre..

It's not as magical as the Devotees on this website make it sound..

It will feel almost identical to your standard garden variety Rubber dome keyboard.

The stem will feel smoother in most cases, depending on how crappy your original rubber dome keyboard is..

That is the best most honest description..  sans the emotional superlatives that you'll hear from the Fanboi.. hahaha

Again,  Not saying don't buy one,   but eyes open on expectations.

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 06:12:27 »
HHKB.

but Topre is slightly overhyped.

Don't get me wrong it feels awesome, and provides wonderful tactility.. but it's not for everyone.

I suggest HHKB simply because I love the layout and think that CapsLock-Control is life changing.

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 07:52:45 »
Topre does not feel like a cheapo rubber dome keyboard, lol.

Anyway, since you use a Pok3r, I'd second the FC660 suggestion, since the layout is more standard than HHKB.

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 09:47:57 »
Topre does not feel like a cheapo rubber dome keyboard, lol.

Anyway, since you use a Pok3r, I'd second the FC660 suggestion, since the layout is more standard than HHKB.
Definitely agree... with both statements.

And if you like your Topre once you get it, then you get to have fun with what domes you want. A HHKB feels like 45g, a FC660C feels like 50g (because of the plate), and then you can get a Realforce 55g. So if you get a FC660C and you think it is too heavy (or not forgiving enough because of the plate), you can go down to the HHKB. Likewise, if you go with a HHKB or FC660C but think the keys are too light, you can always go with a 55g Realforce... or take out the 55g Realforce domes and put them in one of the other keyboards. Plenty of threads on that if you do some basic searches.

But of course the first thing to do is to see if you like Topre.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 10:37:38 »
I used Cherry browns for 2 years before switching to topre. Simply put, it is a satisfying typing experience.

My topre progression - FC660C to FC980C to now currently an owner of (2) Realforce 87U 55g boards. I've used HHKB but I prefer the classic TKL layout of the Realforce. To me, it is the perfect keyboard.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 10:55:47 »
BTC dome with slider. Get one for $5. Then, if you like it, buy a Topre board of whatever form factor your clique is in.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 11:59:43 »
BTC dome with slider. Get one for $5. Then, if you like it, buy a Topre board of whatever form factor your clique is in.

As an owner of both, I can confirm this comparison..

But I'd like to add, while you are using the BTC Domes, you kinda have to fantasize, for lack of a better word, about what topre feels like. Because it feels of a much higher quality than the BTC domes. So.. If you decide to take that course of action, keep that in mind.

Its definitely a great way to test the tactility and see if you enjoy that aspect!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 12:20:26 »

But I'd like to add, while you are using the BTC Domes, you kinda have to fantasize, for lack of a better word, about what topre feels like. Because it feels of a much higher quality than the BTC domes. So.. If you decide to take that course of action, keep that in mind.

Its definitely a great way to test the tactility and see if you enjoy that aspect!

sigh..........

More magical unicorn talk..    they got dat topre vaseline on their glasses.. hahahahahah

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 12:30:03 »

sigh..........

More magical unicorn talk..    they got dat topre vaseline on their glasses.. hahahahahah

I'm just being super honest, while neither of them are my favorite, the BTC Domes are noticeably not as nice.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 16:57:43 »
For my preference I like 45g uniform the best, variable just feel weird to me.

So I'd recommend either FC660C or FC980C depending on form factor.

Realforce are nice too but somehow I feel Leopold just sound a little bit nicer (typing sound), like there's more "thock" to it.  Maybe the extra screws helps?  Not too sure but also aesthetics wise it look nicer too.

It's weird it's like you'd think Topre will make better Topre boards lol.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 17:05:59 »
I myself really want the FC660C and the only thing keeping me from buying one is the awful font on the keycaps. The topre to mx stems swap is very pricey and apparently only apply to the alphas :( .

Offline sodiumjoe

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 18:16:15 »
I myself really want the FC660C and the only thing keeping me from buying one is the awful font on the keycaps. The topre to mx stems swap is very pricey and apparently only apply to the alphas :( .

Typing this on a novatouch'd fc660c. I've swapped everything except the spacebar because the spacebar size (6u) and stem spacing is nonstandard, so it's really hard to find compatible mx spacebars.

You could always try to get an NB variant (blank keycaps). I have one of those too, though it took me a while to snag one on /r/mechmarket.

Offline sodiumjoe

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 18:18:33 »
For my preference I like 45g uniform the best, variable just feel weird to me.

So I'd recommend either FC660C or FC980C depending on form factor.

Realforce are nice too but somehow I feel Leopold just sound a little bit nicer (typing sound), like there's more "thock" to it.  Maybe the extra screws helps?  Not too sure but also aesthetics wise it look nicer too.

It's weird it's like you'd think Topre will make better Topre boards lol.

Typing this on an fc660c. I'm still in the getting-used-to-it phase, but so far I prefer my variable 87u. The fc660c does sound and feel great, but I think it's a little more strain on my pinkies than the variable. I'm actually contemplating dome-swapping with my 87u, because I prefer the form-factor of the fc660c.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 18:21:47 »
Hello,

If you can get used to the layout I recommend an HHKB Pro 2. I use this as my daily driver and LOVE it.

If you are wanting a normal layout then look into a Realforce.

Offline MperorM

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 07:46:58 »

It will feel almost identical to your standard garden variety Rubber dome keyboard.

The stem will feel smoother in most cases, depending on how crappy your original rubber dome keyboard is..

That is the best most honest description..  sans the emotional superlatives that you'll hear from the Fanboi.. hahaha

as someone who uses a topre board as his daily driver, I really want to emphasize this. I would never recommend topre to someone who hasn't tried it. It's just a really good rubber dome, and I imagine that a lot of people that constantly overhype topre are the people that can't get to terms with the fact that they spent $200 + on a board that they don't really enjoy.
Leopold fc980c with korean keycaps

KBParadise v80 with blank and original keycaps - FOR SALE

Offline ejewell89

• 4ever Smol
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 12:27:47 »

as someone who uses a topre board as his daily driver, I really want to emphasize this. I would never recommend topre to someone who hasn't tried it. It's just a really good rubber dome, and I imagine that a lot of people that constantly overhype topre are the people that can't get to terms with the fact that they spent $200 + on a board that they don't really enjoy.

I really think you have to do some of the modifications to really enjoy topre

Stock hhkb pro 2 feels gross to me. its scratch. hollow. and loud.

I have two HHKB JPs, both heavily modified.

White JP
type s (silenced)
30g topre domes
hasu BT controller
keycap swapped

Black JP
purple realforce sliders and rings (silenced)
BKE domes
hasu BT controller

Offline kconfire

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 11:22:58 »
I would recommend Realforce 87 uniform 45g also known as EK Edition sold on elitekeyboards.
That was my second RF keyboard after RF 104 uniform silent 45g.

Since then I've sold a lot of Topre keyboards and only have 2 HHKB Type-S.
HHKBs are tiny and one must be able to get used to the layout, but it is a dream layout for me.
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline glack23

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 21:30:10 »
Your option are quite limited to these brand. HHKB, Leopold, Topre Realforce
so it will depend on the layout that you prefer.

since your fren is helping you to get it, You should list a few models in case the shop don't have stock of what you want most.

HHKB , Leopold FC660C (Take note of the C for topre)
Realforce 87u . there are 45g + variant and 55g
Leopold FC980C, Realforce RGB , Realforce 104U

Offline n3ro

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 18:54:40 »
I would recommend the Realforce 10th anniversary 45g uniform silent. Came out recently in Korea, don't know about Japan. You can get one on ebay but its kinda expensive.
If you don't mind full size, then there is Ducky 45g silent.

Offline tauburn

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 21:26:58 »
If you have amazon prime, you could probably buy one and try it and return it if you don't like it. As long as you're not a repeat offender, they are very lenient with returns.

Offline jeff747

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 05:39:47 »
Try the FC980C for sure if you want a keypad but not a full-sized board. I personally found it to feel better than a realforce or a FC660C. I haven't had the chance to try a HHKB though..