Author Topic: Disabling NKRO on a NovaTouch  (Read 2446 times)

Offline zslane

Disabling NKRO on a NovaTouch
« on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 13:04:53 »
Does anyone know how to turn off the NKRO functionality of the NovaTouch (for Windows)? Is that even possible?

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
Re: Disabling NKRO on a NovaTouch
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 13:16:21 »
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 13:47:30 »
Why would you ever want to DISABLE NKRO?

That seems like a weird thing to want to do.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 14:16:06 »
Some NKRO-over-USB implementations don't play nice with some host-system drivers… or OP is doing it because of a KVM switch IIRC.

Offline zslane

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 14:20:43 »
Some NKRO-over-USB implementations don't play nice with some host-system drivers… or OP is doing it because of a KVM switch IIRC.

Correct. I need to make it work with a KVM switch at home. I have the same problem with the NKRO emulation in the Varmilo VA108. There is no way to turn it off in the Varmilo which makes it a useless keyboard for me at home.

Offline zslane

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 22:12:15 »
So on a whim I decided to try the USB port in the back of the KVM switch and the NovaTouch works when connected there. I still don't know why it doesn't work when connected through the dedicated keyboard port on the switch, but I'm not going to worry about it.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 23:07:21 »
The Novatouch does not have LEDs ... but if you would connect another keyboard through the USB port, do the three locking LEDs blink when you switch host? And do the LEDs blink when switching hosts when connected to the keyboard port?
I believe that blinking when in the USB port would indicate that the keyboard is disconnected and reconnected. Not blinking when in the keyboard port would indicate that the KVM switch acts as host for the keyboard, presenting one keyboard interface to each host computer.

BTW, if there is a special key combo for changing host, then I suppose that it would work only when in the keyboard port unless you have special software installed.
🍉

Offline zslane

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 00:44:28 »
I did some experimenting. I tested with a Filco Majestouch-2 and the NovaTouch.

When connected to the rear USB port on the KVM switch, each keyboard works fine. The LEDs on the Filco blink when I switch the switch's internal USB hub between machines.

When connected to the dedicated kbd port, only the Filco works, and the LEDs do not blink when I switch context. Furthermore, the switch seems to keep track of the state of the lock keys separately for each context. In other words, I can have Caps Lock and Num Lock on in one context, and only Num Lock on in the other, and the switch sets those lock states appropriately as I switch back and forth. If I try to connect the NovaTouch to the dedicated keyboard port, the mouse freezes, there is no keyboard input, and Windows will complain that an unrecognized USB device has been attached and that it will not function.

I should also point out that this KVM switch has two hardware buttons that are used to switch between machines. By pressing the left button, context switches to machine 1. By pressing the right button, context switches to machine 2. If I hold down the left button, the USB hub switches over to machine 1, and if I hold down the right button, the USB hub switches over to machine 2. Consequently, I can have the keyboard/mouse/monitor/audio switched to machine 1 while the  USB hub is independently switched to machine 2 (or vice versa).

If there is a softkey for switching, I don't know what it is and I never use it.