geekhack Community > Keyboards

Unicomp keyboards are underrated

(1/3) > >>

VimLover:
I always find it surprising how few people talk about Unicomp. They make made in America keyboards with buckling springs for an incredible price. I have an original Model F and a modelfkeyboards.com reproduction, and I have found little difference between the tactile feedback between the three. I've also found it astonishing how expensive custom boards have become, with people putting in switches that feel far less substantial in keyboards that cost 4-10x the price of a Unicomp. I can definitely appreciate that form over function is not necessarily a bad thing, but for the price of the board, people can get such an amazing typing experience for the price of an accessory or backplate for another board.

Rhienfo:
What I really like about unicomp stuff is that they are a really easy way to get a nice feeling buckling spring board, which is really cool. It also is a great way to get replacement keycaps which is nice (they also have unix and apl style ones which are cool to see as well)

I agree that unicomp (and buckling springs in general) aren't as talked about than something like mx, which is a shame because BS is really nice. But I do understand it why though, in the hobby now pretty much everything revolves around mx because it was the dominant force in the mk space, which means there a lot more options in terms of different feels and ways to customise the feel of what you want, while also offering pretty much all of the customizability in the hobby.

Custom keyboards are really different though, it is mostly form over function but customs can offer great typing experiences, especially well designed ones. While mx is limiting and other switch mechanisms can be better for a lot of people (I prefer BS over pretty much all mx clickies for example) if modded right they can still feel great, stuff like blacks and browns broken in, lubed and spring swapped are feel great to type on.

It is up to the person whether they can justify spending a lot of money on a keyboard though, I can totally understand why someone wouldn't and honestly for most people, a keychron/hhkb/unicomp is the only thing they need and probably should get.

mohawk1367:

--- Quote from: VimLover on Fri, 15 December 2023, 08:50:55 ---I always find it surprising how few people talk about Unicomp. They make made in America keyboards with buckling springs for an incredible price. I have an original Model F and a modelfkeyboards.com reproduction, and I have found little difference between the tactile feedback between the three. I've also found it astonishing how expensive custom boards have become, with people putting in switches that feel far less substantial in keyboards that cost 4-10x the price of a Unicomp. I can definitely appreciate that form over function is not necessarily a bad thing, but for the price of the board, people can get such an amazing typing experience for the price of an accessory or backplate for another board.

--- End quote ---

your ellipse board doesnt feel different than the unicomp one? i find that hard to believe because i love my unicomp but i hate my F62 repro lol

TWX:
I had gotten interested back when they announced the new tenkeyless model and actually tried to order one.  But this was thwarted by their manufacturing/supply problems.

Ultimately I probably won't order one, coworkers were already unhappy listening to me pound away on my M13 but were too polite to actually say anything.

If the legacy of IBM buckling spring keyboards can't be used in cubicle farms then that limits how far they can go.  And even work from home is an issue if one's spouse also works from home.

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: TWX on Sun, 04 February 2024, 18:44:50 ---
already unhappy listening

--- End quote ---

The floss mod will provide some slight relief.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version