Author Topic: Controversy about space bar flipping  (Read 39535 times)

Offline ifearghal

Controversy about space bar flipping
« on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 09:43:12 »
I'm not familiar with this controversy about space bar flipping. Is it a aesthetic thing or a performance thing? Or neither? No idea, I've just seen it commented on a couple of times here and other keyboard forums.
CODE TKL: MX Browns/Raindrop DSA in Blue and White|
Corsair K95 Full Size: MX Red: OEM

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
Re: Controversy about space bar flipping
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 10:19:32 »
A little from Column A, a little from Column B. Personal preference is what it boils down to. I also think most people here pretend to take a strong stance on it just for fun.

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 10:35:17 »
Personally, I prefer flipping the spacebar bottom-up, and glue the bar to the switch posts.  That way I have some area for grip with my fingertips whilst hammering away at a sarcastic post.
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline Malenky

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 13:18:38 »
Personally I press the space bar with my forehead. Because of this, I need to flip it, or it just doesn't make sense.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 13:31:22 »
I personally believe that if you have a flipped spacebar it's an indicator of poor ergonomics. Your thumb should be over the top of the spacebar, because your wrists should also be above it. From my experience, a flipped spacebar sucks to press if you press down on it from above, it only works if you press it from the side.

But as it's been mentioned, there are always caveats. Some people just type weird.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline ifearghal

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 13:53:07 »
A little from Column A, a little from Column B. Personal preference is what it boils down to. I also think most people here pretend to take a strong stance on it just for fun.

Ah gotcha. Thank you.

Offline ifearghal

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 13:58:49 »
Personally, I prefer flipping the spacebar bottom-up, and glue the bar to the switch posts.  That way I have some area for grip with my fingertips whilst hammering away at a sarcastic post.

Personally I press the space bar with my forehead. Because of this, I need to flip it, or it just doesn't make sense.

:)) :p

I've now decided to blend your posts and have currently flipped, glued bottom up, and hit it with my forehead. I've noticed a significant difference in my WPM, ergonomics, and ability to post ever sarcastically. Thank you both.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 18:27:01 »
Just came here to say...

#flippedspacebarmasterrace
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Malenky

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 19:06:12 »

I've now decided to blend your posts and have currently flipped, glued bottom up, and hit it with my forehead. I've noticed a significant difference in my WPM, ergonomics, and ability to post ever sarcastically. Thank you both.

Instructions not clear, keyboard stuck to head.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 19:11:19 »
#banflippers

Offline ifearghal

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 23:43:32 »

Instructions not clear, keyboard stuck to head.
You've done it correctly.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 03:40:21 »
There is no controversy. Only inevitability.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 03:57:09 »
Flipped spacebars are a way to stick it to 'the Man.'

Flip your spacebar to see the violence inherent in the system!  ;)

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 04:14:39 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 05:09:22 »
People who flip space bars often have delicate little hands, and a non-flipped space bar is "too sharp" or something like that.

Occasionally someone will flip their entire bottom row.

And it is not unheard of for someone to flip every keycap on their keyboard.  Although I believe he did that just to prove a point.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 06:45:09 »
People who flip space bars often have delicate little hands, and a non-flipped space bar is "too sharp" or something like that.

I thought it was the other way round? When you flip it you get the top of the spacebar to hit which is raised up and "sharper"?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline raymogi

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 06:47:38 »
Tried it. Not my cup of tea.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 14:59:36 »
I actually tried it when I first got my Shine 4 after having used a Logitech Elite LE for years. The Logitech had a sloped spacebar that I had gotten used to, but like pr0ximity said, I think I was just used to using poor ergonomics as I was pressing the spacebar from the front a bit. Now I'm used to having my wrists straight and raised a bit so I press down on the spacebar like all the other keys and there is no way I'd ever flip my spacebar at this point.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 March 2016, 15:25:37 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 18:45:51 »
I actually tried it when I first got my Shine 4 after having used a Logitech Elite LE for years. The Logitech had a sloped spacebar that I had gotten used to, but like pr0ximity said, I think I was just used to using poor ergonomics as I was pressing the spacebar from the front a bit. Now I'm used to having my wrists straight and raised a bit so I press down on the spacebar like all the other keys and there is no way I'd ever flip my spacebar at this point.

:thumb:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline validifyed

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 06:05:13 »
I tried a flipped spacebar for a few days. I can only see it being useful if you rest your wrists down when you type, and only use thumbs for the spacebar. I do neither and so quickly changed back.
I found it less annoying for gaming as I do tend to rest my hand down for that, however the different angle of the thumb while resting on the WASD cluster seems to make this also slightly less useful than the people who advocate space flipping seem to say that it is.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 07:15:57 »
I tried a flipped spacebar for a few days. I can only see it being useful if you rest your wrists down when you type, and only use thumbs for the spacebar. I do neither and so quickly changed back.
I found it less annoying for gaming as I do tend to rest my hand down for that, however the different angle of the thumb while resting on the WASD cluster seems to make this also slightly less useful than the people who advocate space flipping seem to say that it is.

What do you press spacebar with if not your thumbs?

Offline validifyed

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 08:42:20 »

What do you press spacebar with if not your thumbs?

Forefinger :P You will have to trust me when I say that I have given touch typing a fair chance, but I find id rather stick to my messy, less accurate and more 'exhausting' brand of typing.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 09:12:37 »
I personally believe that if you have a flipped spacebar it's an indicator of poor ergonomics. Your thumb should be over the top of the spacebar, because your wrists should also be above it. From my experience, a flipped spacebar sucks to press if you press down on it from above, it only works if you press it from the side.

But as it's been mentioned, there are always caveats. Some people just type weird.

+1 to everything about this.

Offline kasakka

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 09:13:53 »
It depends a lot on the keyboard and keycaps in question. I flip the spacebar on my Topre Realforce but not on my QPAD MK50. I don't flip the QPAD because with its default keyset I found no benefit but that Topre edge is kind of sharp and the keyboard sits a bit higher.

If I had any say in the matter all keyboards would have split spacebars though. I loved that on my old Z-Board (as well as the 3-part removable keycaps).

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 13:32:20 »
Forefinger :P You will have to trust me when I say that I have given touch typing a fair chance, but I find id rather stick to my messy, less accurate and more 'exhausting' brand of typing.

Hey at least you use your hands; I've seen worse!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 13:35:01 »

Hey at least you use your hands; I've seen worse!

I am definitely going to need a followup with this.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 21:03:02 »

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 21:06:23 »
Use an uniform profile and this argument goes out the door :P

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 21:07:40 »
Use an uniform profile and this argument goes out the door :P

DSA all the way!

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 21:15:45 »
All these points are moot. Ultimate superior ergonomics:

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 21:25:38 »

Show Image

+1 for upside down laptop treadmill

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 00:04:12 »
Just came here to say...

+1

WTF any Bruce, Cosmonauts

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 01:12:33 »
Are we banning space bar flippers yet?

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 04:30:36 »
I have tried it on one of my TKL keyboards and one of my 60% boards and on both it just felt awkward and uncomfortable.  Given how awkward my typing style is i'm not one to judge what works for anyone else but for myself i simply don't enjoy it in the slightest.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 08:18:48 »
I am definitely going to need a followup with this.

Hahah, well there's the 'typical hunt-n-peck' people (my retired father for one), which is always a laugh to watch.  I knew someone at a place in Orlando I worked at for a year a while back that used only his thumbs.  Not kidding.  And I knew someone in college years ago that swears he knew someone else that could type with his lower-extremities, but he worded things rather vaguely (most likely on purpose for entertainment value, or perhaps to minimize shock).

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 13:23:28 »
I havent made up my mind on it yet. So far i kinda like it flipped. :rolleyes:
-Dana

Offline UltraNEO

• UltraNEO
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 11:18:54 »
Hiya all!

I'm reading this thread... and thinking... WHY?????

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 11:20:26 »
the only time you should flip the spacebar is when half of it gets super shiny from hitting it

then flip it so the other half gets some symmetrical love
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 13:17:56 »

I do the same thing when I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 13:22:34 »
I flip - I just think its more comfortable.  The angle that my  my thumb hits the bar matches the angle of the flipped bar.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 01:25:10 »
Hiya all!

Welcome to Geekhack!

Interesting first post for someone who joined more than 18 months ago - why the long wait?

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 09:17:33 »
Hiya all!

Welcome to Geekhack!

Interesting first post for someone who joined more than 18 months ago - why the long wait?

probably someones alt-ego
-Dana

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 21:49:53 »
Hiya all!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 06:13:19 »
Just came here to say...

You know it!
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 06:14:07 »

Occasionally someone will flip their entire bottom row.

And it is not unheard of for someone to flip every keycap on their keyboard.  Although I believe he did that just to prove a point.

Why not flip over the whole board with the spacebar on top? Make things interesting for a change?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 06:15:08 »

Show Image

What has been seen cannot be unseen. that's fo sho..

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 06:16:16 »
Depending on the board, I flip it as well. HHKB as a more steep profile, so the spacebar is a bit tilted inwards to the center of the board. So I flip them spacebar. It feels more natural for me.

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 17:06:25 »
I flip the spacebar on any board that I use when gaming, because my wrist will be resting on the desk or wrist rest. For work boards I use a normal spacebar.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 20:35:33 »
Get rid of it entirely. I'm behind Google on this. It's just too much.

133800-0

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 20:44:22 »
If you flip it, go flip yourself
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one