Author Topic: What VPN does everyone use?  (Read 43370 times)

Offline atectatifern

Re: What VPN does everyone use?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 17:47:31 »
. . . spam redacted . . . I'll be researching it further want to see what all the fuss is about.
Yeah, I'll bet we'll be seeing a comprehensive report from you soon.

Offline Flame

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 21:56:23 »
I have been using Private Internet Access for the last two years. I chose PIA based on their policies, and their reputation to stick to them. The biggest factors for me when I was choosing among VPN services were: 1) Are they truly a logless VPN service?, 2) What platforms do they support?, 3)  What are speeds like with the service?, and last but not least 4) Pricing / Deals.

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 16:17:11 »
Perfect Privacy. It's a bit pricey, but the best I've used so far.

Offline WireStart

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 04:00:47 »
I haven't tried a lot of VPNs, so keep in mind that my opinion is limited. After using NordVPN, CyberGhost, and ExpressVPN, I stuck with Nord. The only reason why I use a VPN is for US Netflix content, BBC iPlayer and sometimes Hulu. In my case, Nord worked the best with these features.

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 15 December 2018, 21:39:27 »
So many informative posts from first-time participants in the forum!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 20:08:28 »
So many informative posts from long-time participants about so many informative posts from first-time participants in the forum!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 09:40:11 »
So many informative posts from long-time participants about so many informative posts from first-time participants in the forum!
Touché - just got annoyed at the blatant and rampant spamming the thread was drawing. Happy Holidays!

Offline Nagato

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 28 December 2018, 06:35:33 »
Like many others I also use PIA. I recently got it in the humble bundle for like 12 euros for 1 year and I am very statisfied.

Offline quadcube

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 10:06:16 »
Express VPN and Nord. prefer express VPN for higher download speed though

Offline mizzoperator

• "This can't be good for me, but I feel great!"
    • Milk Time: The Mizz Domain
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 13:06:03 »
I use Windscribe, solely because I'm poor.
Linears are for linear people. No offense if you use linears.
I prefer tactile switches, I'm reluctantly using the AULA SI-859 and my pronouns are she/her.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 13:30:46 »
Express VPN and Nord. prefer express VPN for higher download speed though

Nord seems to be a solid service. I might have to give them a try soon -- PIA is too big for my tastes.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 06:54:23 »
NordVPN
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline gingerjack

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 10 October 2019, 22:48:25 »
Another vote for NordVPN. Speeds are good, supports torrenting, doesn't support port forwarding though, but has a huge server list and no log policy. It is more than enough for my needs.

Offline Deadboy

• I have a bad feeling about this.
    • KN1GHT
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 14:52:50 »
I've tried many VPNs, but recently i've been using PROTON VPN when i need to do....stuff... :cool:
Thought most of the time i just use my own vpn that i set up on my server, based...somewhere far..really far...

Proton VPN as the best PING i've seen from all the other ones i tried...PIA, NORD, TUNNELBEAR...etc
It also supports Torrenting, TOR and other stuff.

Sounds like im selling it...but yeah it's just good for me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2019, 14:54:36 by Deadboy »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 15:32:22 »
All these NordVPN users..  Hopefully you all were unaffected by the recent breach

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 28 October 2019, 17:16:11 »
Another vote for NordVPN. Speeds are good, supports torrenting, doesn't support port forwarding though, but has a huge server list and no log policy. It is more than enough for my needs.

Sorry buddy but have you heard about the news..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 29 October 2019, 03:50:10 »
The fact that Nord was hacked, in a pretty inconsequential way, isn't a big deal.
EVERYONE gets hacked, Yahoo, Google, MSN, name a large company they have probably been hit and this includes credit companies.
Where Nord really screwed up was they hid it for months and only came clean when they were confronted, and that's IF you believe them about how severe it was.

According to Nord, they private keys to one server were stolen, but only one server, which was supposedly not online yet. So even if they tried a man-in-the-middle attack, no one was using it. problem with this is that server is connected to others, being used or not and worse... it took them MONTHS to tell people, and at that time claimed they were still investigating but it was minimal, but this was only revealed after they were called on it. I can understand you want time to investigate, fine, do a preliminary and tell people. Instead, Nord went full PR mode and tried to brush it off.

Keep in mind, the people who made Nord what it was, are no longer running it. It was sold a while back.

By the way, there is very little you need to Torrent that you cannot get elsewhere, and in a more legal-ish manner.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 October 2019, 03:52:22 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 17:49:43 »
Sooo, this is why some of us worried when they were silent until caught and worse, when they went full P.R. mode when they did.

Seems they got hit again and considering these were found online, either more was taken than claimed (though they are still "investigating") or they got hit a second time since and are either unaware or not forthcoming, again.
https://it.slashdot.org/story/19/11/01/219231/nordvpn-users-passwords-exposed-in-mass-credential-stuffing-attacks

Everyone gets hacked, these companies need to be more proactive in fighting it and more forthcoming when it does happen.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 11:57:12 »
Sooo, this is why some of us worried when they were silent until caught and worse, when they went full P.R. mode when they did.

Seems they got hit again and considering these were found online, either more was taken than claimed (though they are still "investigating") or they got hit a second time since and are either unaware or not forthcoming, again.
https://it.slashdot.org/story/19/11/01/219231/nordvpn-users-passwords-exposed-in-mass-credential-stuffing-attacks

Everyone gets hacked, these companies need to be more proactive in fighting it and more forthcoming when it does happen.

Aight i'm not going to go with a VPN again except for american netflix

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 21:57:47 »
I'm very happy to have dodged that Nord mishap.  Good grief was that mess up.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 17 November 2019, 12:28:29 »
I'm very happy to have dodged that Nord mishap.  Good grief was that mess up.

Wow, pretty incredible

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 16:41:24 »
I use ProtonVPN, as and when I employ a VPN. I like their ethos and their secure core allowing you to bounce your connection into Switzerland and back out to the best jurisdictional circumstance.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline rockksteady

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 14:29:06 »
I feel a bit uncomfortable using a VPN. I just don't feel like routing all my traffic through a private company. Regardless of their terms of service, code of conduct etc. how can you be certain they are not logging things? They say they are not, but it's not like you can audit their servers or anything.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 15:49:48 »
I feel a bit uncomfortable using a VPN. I just don't feel like routing all my traffic through a private company. Regardless of their terms of service, code of conduct etc. how can you be certain they are not logging things? They say they are not, but it's not like you can audit their servers or anything.

I mean, technically you're always trusting at least one company with all that data; a VPN or an ISP. Just depends who you trust more. VPNs that promise privacy often go a long way to prove it; ISPs never do.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 21:49:21 »
I don't think they're nearly as anonymous as people think anyhow.

If you reroute through say Britain, how many exit IPs are they using there for the exit node?
They still have your browser fingerprint, sure, you now show up at 15 different IPS and a different country but we had that issue when we all used dial up, it didn't stop them from tracking us. And if you're using Chrome, you're even more easily being tracked, at least by Google. They don't need an IP address at all to know it's you, logged into their system or not. They don't even need Analytics if you use Chrome. Why do you think that browser uses so much ram compared to anything else, including other Chromium based browsers like (raw) Chromium and Brave.

If you use Google Chrome and a VPN for privacy you may as well save your money.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Z41N

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 19:21:59 »
Nord - purchased some heavy discount and paid like 60 bucks for 2 years. Set for a while , no issues since.

Offline greys

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 06:01:43 »
I used HOLA vpn in the past not I prefer paid services

Offline secretrudite

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 05:25:34 »
NordVPN user here. Been using Nord for a few years now. Overall, I am happy with the performance of the product, obviously the breach controversy was not stellar, but I think they handled that situation pretty well, and I like that since then they've been doing 3rd party audits by PWC and have teamed up with Troy Hunt.

Offline dddeeaatthhh

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 16:03:24 »
i used both pia and proton until pia got bought by a malware company last year. now i just use proton and it works as it should. i'd personally stay away from companies like nord/pia

Offline yui

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 02:18:57 »
just so everybody knows vpn do not add any security, they just allow you to change your location from the point of few of the basic location tracking scripts, but those are very imprecise at best anyway, they do not get your address, at best they can get your city, or a city 50km away. so good to bypass region locks, useless for security.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 09:26:20 »
i used both pia and proton until pia got bought by a malware company last year. now i just use proton and it works as it should. i'd personally stay away from companies like nord/pia

I knew about the issues w/ Nord and find it funny when I see a creator plug them in an add in a video knowing they tried to cover up their screw-up.  But I never knew that about PIA, so looks like I wont be recommending them anymore now.  I'll look into Proton to see if it will fit my needs - which I rarely use a VPN too.  I did try that "Gmaing VPN" WTFast - complete garbage imo.

I think that NordVPn is the most useful and widely spread. I made a conclusion based on my friends preferences. I'm also using this program because it has the easiest interface and very simple to use. Also, a very comfortable fitch is that I can select one VPN that is clean and not spammed and add it to favorites. My brother didn't want to listen to me and he was using a different vpn program. Finally, he didn't know how to uninstall it and he did it only after I shared with him https://vladtalks.tech/vpn/how-to-delete-vpn-on-mac After, he had also installed the Nord VPn and using it without any problems.

lmao - well we know who you work for, or at least paid by. (signed up just to make that single post)
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2020, 09:37:13 by Darthbaggins »

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline hong@RebultKeyboards

• Rebult Keyboards
    • Rebult Keyboards
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 11:53:58 »
Just got a 2-year subscription of surfshark, mainly for Netflix, working great so far

Offline MakerJake

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 31 December 2020, 07:30:27 »
I use Nord, all the ads have gotten to me. It works well enough for me.

Offline Yato

• Hampter.
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 31 December 2020, 08:57:17 »
I've been using express for about 3-4 months now and it works pretty good haven't had any problems so far also, works great with netflix.  :thumb:
discord: matas#1111

Offline Bitdrive

• * Maker
  • Sup I’m new and takin a look around
    • @bitdrive Instagram
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 20:03:06 »
Kind of a basic b*tch cop out but express vpn, more than anything I use it to watch Netflix from different countries and it works fantastic for that

Offline stoicbias

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 13:11:17 »
Express VPN here.  I need it since I travel abroad for work and often can't get US content in other countries. I have no idea how this stacks against other VPN's but no complaints here.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 09:34:18 »
I've considered using Express VPN, but I need to do more research before signing on - seems to be getting more ads as of lately w/ the YT'ers.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 05 October 2022, 05:33:24 »
Got my own VPN to connect to from work since they block like everything.  :eek: :blank:
Got WireGuard running with a GUI interface to control it.

Offline c0n

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 06 October 2022, 15:24:28 »
Proton VPN usally
living for the thocc.