Author Topic: Recognized at last: the "MY WALLET" analogy!  (Read 3659 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Recognized at last: the "MY WALLET" analogy!
« on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 04:15:33 »
I thought it was time we drew some attention to a very common feature here at Geekhack—it's the "MY WALLET" analogy!

Rama, make some more SA Alu Keycaps, my wallet is ready!

Just making the plunge in to the mechanical keyboard world and it's a bit overwhelming, so many options (my wallet is scared)... Oh, and I just discovered artisan keycaps....once again my wallet cringes...

I am committing to unhacking my wallet in 2015, and I'm posting about it so maybe it'll inspire someone else to unhack theirs as well.

Save my wallet, this has gotten out of hand.

...I got the ps/2 keyboard instead of the usb, part of my kinda regrets that now cause I have the itch to buy a usb mechanical keyboard now. And not just one but all the different switch types.  Its gonna happen, I just feel so bad for my wallet...

I'm surprised I managed to make my way out of the door with only one keyboard, my wallet relatively unscathed...

Greetings from Denmark! I've got new keebs, and my wallet weeps.

Those are just the first few I found. Geekhack's riddled with figurative uses of "my wallet". Sometimes they're actually in topic subjects. Click this convenient Google search link to see the sheer extent to which "my wallet" occurs here.

So, what's your take on "my wallet"? Should we agree it's been done to death, and adopt a policy of ridiculing anyone who keeps using it? Or should we use it even more, in as many goofy ways as possible? Or should we do nothing, go on with our lives, and guffaw (in the privacy of our homes/offices/etc.) when we see someone use it again? (And yes, they will use it again—and again, and again...)

So, "my wallet". Hee hee hee.

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
Re: Recognized at last: the "MY WALLET" analogy!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 05:03:57 »
Plot twist: Bitcoin wallet!
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 10:18:16 »
When Tp4 gets low..  Tp4 just eats m0ar potatoes.. !!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 19:15:53 »

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 19:25:55 »
You are ignoring this user. Show me what an insufferable dweeb I am.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 19:36:06 »

It's another analogy, see. He had some Bitcoin™, but then he used it to buy some expensive keeb stuff (like, a limited-edition Realforce, some Artisan Keys, and a custom hardwood wrist rest made from particularly soft, comfortable hardwood), and now he doesn't have Bitcoin anymore, and he's pretending Bitcoin is something you can keep in a physical wallet—which is obviously impossible, of course, and therefore Quite Yewmorous.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 19:58:35 »
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

Oh—I finally get it!! He's not actually posting that over and over... It's just auto-generated content we see when we've hidden someone's actual posts (not because they don't have anything interesting to say, but because they insist on using big goofy blue text over and over and over and...). Wow, it took me only, like, a year to realize that—did anyone else get it?

OK, LOL, I suppose that's not quite as annoying. Still, it seems easy enough to fix: Stop jumping up and down trying to get everyone's attention, use normal text, and give us a chance to appreciate you for who you are, not your prowess at applying Size and Color tags. Eventually these peeps will hear about it, unblock you, and see what you have to say again.

Or you can stubbornly persist in the mistaken belief it's more important to cling to a silly, irritating posting gimmick than to, you know, participate in a message forum. It's up to you.

You may even find it's a good thing to consider in real life, if you've been doing similar stuff there too. I'm just saying.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 20:12:11 »

Oh—I finally get it!! He's not actually posting that over and over... It's just auto-generated content we see when we've hidden someone's actual posts (not because they don't have anything interesting to say, but because they insist on using big goofy blue text over and over and over and...). Wow, it took me only, like, a year to realize that—did anyone else get it?

OK, LOL, I suppose that's not quite as annoying. Still, it seems easy enough to fix: Stop jumping up and down trying to get everyone's attention, use normal text, and give us a chance to appreciate you for who you are, not your prowess at applying Size and Color tags. Eventually these peeps will hear about it, unblock you, and see what you have to say again.

Or you can stubbornly persist in the mistaken belief it's more important to cling to a silly, irritating posting gimmick than to, you know, participate in a message forum. It's up to you.

You may even find it's a good thing to consider in real life, if you've been doing similar stuff there too. I'm just saying.

Hahahaha.. you guys are too full of yourselves.. 

Tp4 is a privilege..

consider yourselves lucky to be basking in my light.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 23:00:45 »

That's funny. Could anyone tell me what he posted?
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 01:30:05 »
Beats me.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 March 2022, 19:32:28 »
Dang! I had a note here to start a thread about the "my wallet" keeb-buying metaphor. But I see I already did that here—and because this is a few years old now, you'll no doubt start ribbing me about resurrecting "zombie" threads. You can't win, huh?  :rolleyes:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 06 March 2022, 22:58:03 »
Aw, no "zombie" comments? I'm disappointed. C'mon, guys, it's free, so your wallets won't mind.

Or maybe nobody here has wallets anymore, because you've spent everything you have on keebs. I can't possibly be the only one.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 11:04:04 »
This is Off Topic - necroposting is part of the fun!

In the old days pre-covid people had cash and their wallet could cry at being emptied, but a credit or debit card remains the same size regardless of the balance so the wallet no longer knows what's going on.

I like that the metaphor is still around though, as a reminder of better times :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod