Author Topic: Topre keycaps  (Read 35714 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Topre keycaps
« on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 04:27:32 »
Why nobody produce custom topre keycaps?
I know about those ePBT set for it, or those old 3-4 colored sets that were available, but what about other sets, colors?
If we had more options, we wouldn't have to "Novatouch" them to mount cool color sets on them.
Why none of those caps manufacturers don't make any?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline lolafineday

Re: Topre keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 04:46:38 »
Because the demand just isnt there... the amount of people who are into topre want want custom keycaps are small. Keycap makes are way better off making mx compatible keycaps.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 05:24:55 »
Because the demand just isnt there... the amount of people who are into topre want want custom keycaps are small. Keycap makes are way better off making mx compatible keycaps.

Really? Is it that small?
I thought loads of people use Topre, RF or HHKB...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline guptaji

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 06:40:00 »

Really? Is it that small?
I thought loads of people use Topre, RF or HHKB...

I thought many people were into Topre and the rest;the demand should be there- maybe the manufacturers are not paying enough attention

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 08:45:14 »
i guess it is a bit like bs keycaps, those switches represent such a minute part of the ecosystem compared to MX-compatible that they get left out.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 08:55:54 »
Really I think it's mostly none of the big keycap manufacturers want to invest in the tooling needed for producing caps with Topre stems since Topre is very niche in the big scheme of things. I was actually kinda shocked when ePBT offered the 9009 set, so hopefully we'll see more from them with higher quality than the 9009 set (some of the longer keys were pretty wonky form what I heard). Also KBDfans has had some HHKB sets, colored keys/spacebars, & novelty sets made in dye-subbed PBT. So there is probably at least another one or two manufacturers out there. Although I'd be dubious about the quality from them considering ePBT has to dial the quality on theirs.

I would love to see some awesome doubleshot ABS Topre keycaps akin to what we get from GMK too though. Unfortunately the chances of that happening are slim though. Since while Topre is fairly popular in the MKB enthusiast community, it honestly pales in popularity to MX based boards overall. Think about it, where the big money for a company that produces KBs would be at is selling them to companies that have large amounts of office employees. Really that's how rubber dome KBs came to be & took over, since companies like I'm talking about are always looking for the cheapest solution to their meet their needs. Thankfully some companies still buy into ergonomics & QOL for their employees making them willing to put the extra scratch out for MKBs for their employees. There to though the cheapest option to suit your needs rule comes in also so MX based boards would be the go to there. At least that would be my best guess at why we don't see more custom keycap sets made for Topre.

Offline phinix

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 09:33:25 »
Right, back to butchering Novatouch keyboards then...:D

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 10:16:17 »
Right, back to butchering Novatouch keyboards then...:D

Unfortunately.... Really though it kills me that Topre just doesn't start offering replacement parts, specifically in this case the RF RGB or even better Novatouch sliders that are MX compatible. It's not like they are clueless that there are many users who customize their Topre boards. Also they could make a killing selling keycaps (look at how much the few colored replacement sets for RFs they have made skyrocketed in price on the secondhand market), sliders, housings, dome sheets, silencing rings, & springs. Thankfully Plum/Niz has started stepping up in those areas, but the quality is not Topre quality with those parts. Leaving harvesting a Novatouch or RF RGB as the best option to get MX compatibility on a Topre board still.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 September 2019, 10:19:48 by Rob27shred »

Offline pradyungn

• Pradyungn
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 11:58:06 »
This sentiment has probably been echoed quite a bit, but the fact is that topre is an extremely niche market where every keyboard is pretty expensive. At that price, many people choose to opt for something like a DIY kit instead, which is what I'm doing, purely for the keycaps (GMK amirite. Either way, if you're willing to pay the money novatouch sliders are pretty good, and even though you won't get the original feel of the switches, the sliders allow you to put in mx kecyaps, which is especially useful for the artisan keys. If you just want a few artisans in the corners or something I know that kbdfans offers some decent sliders for cheap, and you can just cherrypick them.

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 12:27:58 »
Deskeys are developing a MX compatible topre sliders that will be better than the nova touch. They are working on a lot of topre stuff, fc660c alu case, the sliders, and have already made excellent topre rings

Offline phinix

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 05:27:09 »
Deskeys are developing a MX compatible topre sliders that will be better than the nova touch. They are working on a lot of topre stuff, fc660c alu case, the sliders, and have already made excellent topre rings

New mx sliders? Where did you find that?
What stage is this now?

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 09:03:44 »

What stage is this now?
The case is coming earlier so the slider will take a bit of time still weeks months maybe. But join the deskeys discord for more info

Offline phinix

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 09:48:55 »

What stage is this now?
The case is coming earlier so the slider will take a bit of time still weeks months maybe. But join the deskeys discord for more info

Cant find them on discord:(

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 12:09:47 »
I wish Realforce and PFU still made their blank sets.

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 19:00:54 »
Realforce R2&R2TL 호환 Color 포인트 키캡 Set

I haven't seen this posted anywhere so Realforce colored modifier sets for the R2. The first of its kind from Realforce to have 1.25u modifiers that are not the standard black or grey as the original Realforce color sets were all 1.5u. Hooray for swapping modifiers for the 660C and 980C.

This leads me to believe that there is a possibility for official full Realforce sets to continue being produced seeing as how they made modifier sets. The only downside I can see is that the set will end up being for the R2s as opposed to catering to the 87u/108u, HHKB etc with the 6u spacebars. One could hope that possible sets could include both 6.25 and 6u spacebars. We can only dream ...

Ordered 1 of each color to compared to the OG Realforce sets I have on hand

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 19:07:10 »
Realforce R2&R2TL 호환 Color 포인트 키캡 Set

I haven't seen this posted anywhere so Realforce colored modifier sets for the R2. The first of its kind from Realforce to have 1.25u modifiers that are not the standard black or grey as the original Realforce color sets were all 1.5u. Hooray for swapping modifiers for the 660C and 980C.

This leads me to believe that there is a possibility for official full Realforce sets to continue being produced seeing as how they made modifier sets. The only downside I can see is that the set will end up being for the R2s as opposed to catering to the 87u/108u, HHKB etc with the 6u spacebars. One could hope that possible sets could include both 6.25 and 6u spacebars. We can only dream ...

Ordered 1 of each color to compared to the OG Realforce sets I have on hand

Oh, that's very neat! Given the R1 Realforce has retired however,... yeah, I wonder if they'd support 1.5u mods and spacebars. Although the HHKB does have 1.5u mods it could use...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 21:13:50 »
There are one or two replacement Topre sets, but generally there are few options, and the official coloured sets have not been in production for years.

Someone tried to make a full custom set (Matt3o?) a while back, but MOQ wasn't met and the idea died.

A lot of people with Topre keyboards like the standard PBT keycaps too much.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 21:42:29 »
I frequent HHKB's and I have to say, my favorite set is the 9009 PBT with the JP subs. It may be my favorite set of all time.

Offline phinix

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 04:44:29 »
Where could I find those mod caps?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 06:25:13 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

They're OEM Realforce keyset modifiers....

So the yellow one is from a full set of yellow printed caps, the orange one from another set, and so on. So I have three full sets of caps and only grabbed modifiers from each to achieve the look. A bit overkill.

Unfortunately I don't really think Topre, Realforce, or Leopold make any of these anymore. You can definitely still find them secondhand but it may take a while.

For a while, Elitekeyboard used to sell small modifier kits in different colors so there may also be cases where people might have spare keys flying around. Elitekeyboard has been defunct though and those had also been out of stock for a while too.

If you wanted the same look, right now and quickly, you could consider asking a Topre artisan keycap maker to make you a set of blanks made out of resin.

Offline phinix

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 07:42:32 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

They're OEM Realforce keyset modifiers....

So the yellow one is from a full set of yellow printed caps, the orange one from another set, and so on. So I have three full sets of caps and only grabbed modifiers from each to achieve the look. A bit overkill.

Unfortunately I don't really think Topre, Realforce, or Leopold make any of these anymore. You can definitely still find them secondhand but it may take a while.

For a while, Elitekeyboard used to sell small modifier kits in different colors so there may also be cases where people might have spare keys flying around. Elitekeyboard has been defunct though and those had also been out of stock for a while too.

If you wanted the same look, right now and quickly, you could consider asking a Topre artisan keycap maker to make you a set of blanks made out of resin.

Thanks, I had a feeling its gonna be super hard to find those.
Back to my plain RF :)

Offline purpletiesto

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 15:29:17 »
Not *that* hard to find. This is my 87U

Offline phinix

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 03:04:08 »
Not *that* hard to find. This is my 87U

Show Image

I had those, they do not match Topre profile, a bit different angles etc - not real Topre caps.

Offline purpletiesto

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 05:05:36 »
So you had the same 4 sets of topre key caps that I do? I highly doubt that.

But anyway not q quite sure what you mean by they're not real, but they're the exact same profile as my realforce ones =) just compared.

If you want caps made and/or marketed by pfu, they make some coloured and blanks, but that's about it, which is more than a lot of other actual keyboard manufacturers. Most caps are done by speciality aftermarket joints which in sure you are aware of, just like mine and most cherry caps.

Why not just replace your stems with cherry compatible ones and put cherry caps on if you aren't happy with the current topre offerings?

Offline phinix

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 05:39:36 »
So you had the same 4 sets of topre key caps that I do? I highly doubt that.

But anyway not q quite sure what you mean by they're not real, but they're the exact same profile as my realforce ones =) just compared.

If you want caps made and/or marketed by pfu, they make some coloured and blanks, but that's about it, which is more than a lot of other actual keyboard manufacturers. Most caps are done by speciality aftermarket joints which in sure you are aware of, just like mine and most cherry caps.

Why not just replace your stems with cherry compatible ones and put cherry caps on if you aren't happy with the current topre offerings?

I had those space invaders and pixel alphas. They did not match original profile on hhkb or rf. As far as I remember they were lower or something.
Regarding mx stems etc, google my nick name and you will see what I do with topre boards...

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 23:31:43 »
I've had the 9009 set from KBDFans, while it's not bad but it does not match the same feel as OEM Topre keycaps.  The 9009 set also wobbles more since they are taller and the stem isn't as fitted.

I was hoping Topre would at least just sell the regular beige and black set kind of like how HHKB is selling their regular black and grey set of keycaps.  That why they don't need to invest in anything to make "new" products also I'm pretty sure some of the existing owners would like to have replacement sets from time to time.  For me I was hoping to find a black set for my Type Heaven.

Unfortunately I don't think this is gonna happen.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Riverman

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 15:54:08 »
I also have the KBDFans 9009 set.  I currently have it on my Type Heaven at work, which also has their silencing rings on it.  Considering how good the original keycaps are on every Topre keyboard except for the Type Heaven (and even those are extremely good for lasered ABS keycaps), I can see why there isn't much of a market for aftermarket keycaps.  I really like the 9009s on my Type Heaven, but they're not perfect, and they would seem like a step down if I put them on my off-white Realforce.  I checked KBDFans's website the other day, and it looks like most of their 9009 Topre keycaps are currently sold out.

Offline shadowku

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 12:45:59 »
KBD released a new set earlier this week. It only comes in a comprehensive set right now but that works for me because I need it for my FC980C (black and black stock caps doesn't work well for my wife).

When I asked KBD, they said it's a group-buy but yet I've received a tracking number and the package is moving. Will review when it's here.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline Riverman

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 13:22:20 »
I like that new set (2020 EC Keycaps)!  I may have to get a set since any Topre keycaps are so rare.

Edit: I ordered the 2020 keycaps this weekend.  I'm hoping they fixed the issues that the 9009 ones had with some keycaps being slightly rotated.  I sprung for DHL shipping, so they ought to be here in far less than a month.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 January 2020, 11:38:45 by Riverman »

Offline dlwmacgregor

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 17:06:17 »
I have been using a Kensington K64407US Pro Fit USB/PS2 Washable Keyboard for about 10 years and the letters wear out on the most used keys, which are Topre.
I have asked if they have replacement key caps and they say "no".
I don't want to have to buy another keyboard for $40 every 4-5 years for just a few keys.
So I am looking for key stickers.

Offline outerspace

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 12:10:51 »
KBDFans is also working on a HiPro set (https://kbdfans.com/blogs/news/ec-hipro-keycaps). It is something to look forward to.

Offline eminarcissus

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 02:17:31 »
I’ve finally created myself a full set of wooden Topre key sets of DSA profile Keycaps, really love it XD

Offline Hyde

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 21:12:22 »
I like that new set (2020 EC Keycaps)!  I may have to get a set since any Topre keycaps are so rare.

Edit: I ordered the 2020 keycaps this weekend.  I'm hoping they fixed the issues that the 9009 ones had with some keycaps being slightly rotated.  I sprung for DHL shipping, so they ought to be here in far less than a month.

I had the 9009 set, the rotation didn't bother me.  But the profile is actually slightly taller and thinner than OEM keys, also the stem doesn't fit perfectly so there's wobble to keys.

If they fixed it for 2020 I'd be interested again but I highly doubt they'd invest in the tooling again to make any changes.

I’ve finally created myself a full set of wooden Topre key sets of DSA profile Keycaps, really love it XD

Damn this looks great!  Topre stems?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline eminarcissus

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 10:59:42 »

I had the 9009 set, the rotation didn't bother me.  But the profile is actually slightly taller and thinner than OEM keys, also the stem doesn't fit perfectly so there's wobble to keys.

If they fixed it for 2020 I'd be interested again but I highly doubt they'd invest in the tooling again to make any changes.

Yes, I did some caliper and created a stem model which works but not hold exactly as good as the original stem(because the stem is 3d printed), but it holds ok unless I purposely pull it.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 14:44:06 »

Yes, I did some caliper and created a stem model which works but not hold exactly as good as the original stem(because the stem is 3d printed), but it holds ok unless I purposely pull it.

That is still pretty freaking cool. Nice job. Not my style, but I still appreciate the work and thought.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 19:54:54 »
archisite is carrying colored realforce r2 sets for ~$110/ea now- https://item.rakuten.co.jp/archisite/c/0000000659/

assuming there's color consistency across the jp/us sets (old jis sets were noticeably lighter than the ansi), pretty easy to buy both and make hhkb sets.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 20:21:16 »
They still don't make the blank colored sets, do they?

Offline walie

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 00:46:35 »
KBDFans is also prototyping some Hipro caps

Offline styx_mka

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 19:37:48 »
You can check this website: https://kprepublic.com/search?type=product&q=topre
They have couple sets of Topre keycaps made for HHKB layout, but you may also put on other topre keyboard.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 06:00:39 »
I wish there were more blank OEM sets out there. I really want a Realforce light blue blank set.

Offline fkcaps

• FKcaps
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 07:23:42 »
It is now happening: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/g0hrrp/ic_topre_keycaps/

I swear I started working on it a few days before a GH user started spamming around the forum... IC is running to gauge interest for now, but I do hope it will happen. We need feedback tho!

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 07:56:54 »
It is now happening: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/g0hrrp/ic_topre_keycaps/

I swear I started working on it a few days before a GH user started spamming around the forum... IC is running to gauge interest for now, but I do hope it will happen. We need feedback tho!

Make blank sets in a variety of colors with compatibility for all of the most used boards (RF87u, RF86, HHKB, FC660C, etc), and there'll be demand. IMO, getting the blanks right is the first step to getting dye-sub keys right later on.

Best of luck! Getting the keycap top texture just right (to be the same as that of OEM) would be a challenge to undertake, as this was one of the things that I did not quite like from the EC sets that KBDfans sells.

« Last Edit: Mon, 13 April 2020, 08:00:53 by LightningXI »

Offline fkcaps

• FKcaps
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 08:02:25 »

Make blank sets in a variety of colors with compatibility for all of the most used boards (RF87u, RF86, HHKB, FC660C, etc), and there'll be demand. IMO, getting the blanks right is the first step to getting dye-sub keys right later on.

Best of luck! Getting the keycap top texture just right (to be the same as that of OEM) would be a challenge to undertake, as this was one of the things that I did not quite like from the EC sets that KBDfans sells.

You think colored blanks would sell well? That's interesting we'll consider it.

Noted about the texture too :)

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Offline TopreMoon

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 10:16:28 »

You think colored blanks would sell well? That's interesting we'll consider it.

Noted about the texture too :)

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Colored blanks are occasionally available: https://drop.com/buy/hhkb-pbt-keycaps-set/talk#discussions

I think they do okay, but only because there are so few options and this is fairly cheap relative to available topre sets (it was $20 for a set of alphas+spare bar).

Unless you're offering a similar price, notably improved quality (like the texture mentioned - these cheap sets are very smooth compared to the slightly rougher OEM keycaps), or a different profile like Hi-Pro,  I wager quality dye-sub printed keys would be more in demand.

Offline adubg

Topre keycaps
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 20:12:36 »
Picked up a EC 2020 set from KBD fans and I really like it.

Offline jamster

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 11:01:21 »

This describes me.

I have the beige Realforce, and the PBT caps are just about perfect. They are understated to the point of looking boring, but there's something to the thin PBT that matches the feel of the switches perfectly.

I've also got a Topre clone board with a GMK set (thick, high quality PBT) but aesthetics aside, I prefer the feel of the Realforce keycaps. Even if there were cosmetic replacements, I wouldn't be interested. It's just a great, classically understated board. Pretty much any modifications to it, in my mind, detract from it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 May 2020, 11:03:46 by jamster »

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 11:27:54 »

This describes me.

I have the beige Realforce, and the PBT caps are just about perfect. They are understated to the point of looking boring, but there's something to the thin PBT that matches the feel of the switches perfectly.

I've also got a Topre clone board with a GMK set (thick, high quality PBT) but aesthetics aside, I prefer the feel of the Realforce keycaps. Even if there were cosmetic replacements, I wouldn't be interested. It's just a great, classically understated board. Pretty much any modifications to it, in my mind, detract from it.

That is exactly how I feel about the black R2. It's why I was strongly considering GMK Dark to build a custom Cherry board that looks like the R2. Down to details like the top right inlay but in the end my friend said prototyping/developing it would end up costing too much for a one off.

What I just really want are Topre keycaps that are the same quality as Realforce's but with scoops. This can be done very easily with some blank artisans but like someone says above the texture will never match genuine Realforce caps.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 15:38:36 »
Does anyone know what the odd symbols that KBDFans uses on their 2020 keycap set are from (I'm assuming they copied them from some existing keyboard), or what they're supposed to be?  I recently bought the same set, and while some of the symbols make sense, like the printer for print screen, the house picture for home, and the </> symbol for insert, some of them make no sense at all.  There's a power symbol instead of End, what looks like an eraser for forward delete (I think), and some weird slashes and a double carat symbol that may or may not be for scroll lock.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 20:09:08 »
https://www.realforce.co.jp/en/products/R2-US-KT/index.html

Yeah R2 keycaps are officially on sale, not sure where to get them yet though.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 15:19:05 »
Rakuten sells them.  At the current exchange rate, they're $117.