Author Topic: Suntouch SIIG K101 - Are these really SKCM Blue Alps??  (Read 3164 times)

Offline AtomicChameleon

Suntouch SIIG K101 - Are these really SKCM Blue Alps??
« on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 20:05:05 »
Hi, just picked up this board a coworker had in his attic. I can't find a lot of info on it. Does it really have SKCM Blue Alps?! :eek: Whatever they are feel amazing. I am going to start restoring it tonight. Here are some pictures:

Offline Auslander

Re: Suntouch SIIG K101 - Are these really SKCM Blue Alps??
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 23:38:45 »
Yup those are SKCM Blue Alps, very good find.
HHKB JP | Realforce 104UB-DK | HHKB Pro 2

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 00:58:25 »
Congrats on the find! :)
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline AtomicChameleon

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 08:06:38 »
Yup those are SKCM Blue Alps, very good find.
Thanks for the confirmation! I thought so. Just couldn't find anything for sure. Can't wait to polish her up.

Offline AtomicChameleon

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 08:19:36 »
Thanks, Thomas. For something like this I am having a hard time deciding if I want to completely restore the board or harvest the switches and put them in something else (more new). I am definitely leaning towards restoring it as is. It sounds so nice. Do you have any recommendations?/have any background here?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 08:33:42 »
Thanks, Thomas. For something like this I am having a hard time deciding if I want to completely restore the board or harvest the switches and put them in something else (more new). I am definitely leaning towards restoring it as is. It sounds so nice. Do you have any recommendations?/have any background here?
I would definitely try and restore it. First of all, vintage, roomy, plastic cases make blue Alps sound a lot better than modern, small, dense cases IMO. THe typing sound is amplified hugely, which is great. Second; I wouldn't do anything to the switches if they feel good. We don't have a guaranteed mathod of restoring Alps switches to their full glory, and most manipulations will mess around with the switch lubricant, which is irreplaceable.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline AtomicChameleon

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 08:40:21 »
I would definitely try and restore it. First of all, vintage, roomy, plastic cases make blue Alps sound a lot better than modern, small, dense cases IMO. THe typing sound is amplified hugely, which is great. Second; I wouldn't do anything to the switches if they feel good. We don't have a guaranteed mathod of restoring Alps switches to their full glory, and most manipulations will mess around with the switch lubricant, which is irreplaceable.
Ok, great! Thanks for that info. I like that roomy plastic sound so I will stick with restoration. I will definitely just clean her up, not touch the switches themselves, and retrobright everything I can.

I know you can buy ps2-usb converters but have you ever heard of anyone replacing the whole ps2 cord with a usb one/how easy that is? I modded a WYSE keyboard awhile back with a teensy board but that was because it has a would connecter. A ps2 connection may be easier to deal with? That cord is the one part I don't feel confident in restoring.

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 08:55:17 »
Been wanting to find another Blue Alps one for ages now on a flea market...

Seems like you don't get that lucky twice in life... "cries"

Offline AtomicChameleon

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 17:19:19 »
I took the board apart, cleaned everything with damp q-tips, paper towels, and compressed air. Once everything was clean I retro-brighted the case and the keycaps. Here's a picture of what it looks like now and a side by side before and after pic. Looks and feels pretty close to new now! So happy with this find. I am going to order a ps2 to usb converter tonight so I can use it soon!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 17:47:23 »
Definitely the right decision - that looks as good as it no doubt feels!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline mounds

• Builder of things and stuff
    • The Mounds Abides
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 21:10:55 »
Dang, nice find man  :thumb: Agree on the restoration versus harvesting approach. It would be nice to have more older boards supported with the Teensy/TMK retro-fit!
Tada68 (Jailhouse Aristotles) / MiniVan (Jailhouse Aristotles) / Planck (Aristotles) / Teensy m0116 (Matias QC) / ALPS64 ('Pine' SKCM White) / Teensy NeXT Non-ADB (SKCM Cream) / ALPS HHKB (SKCM Orange)