Author Topic: Maltron keyboard  (Read 2473 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Maltron keyboard
« on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 13:52:33 »
Found this thing; since I can't even touch type there's no way I can make a meaningful review on a ergo macro bio mofo like this :p . So I thought I might as well just post about the find instead.

It's one of my few USB keyboards and appears to be in very good condition indeed.

I don't know too much about this keyboard; I don't even know how common or well-known they are.

The layout is ****ing weird xD . It's "3D ergonomic" apparently.

Essentially it's a very thin plastic shell with MX blacks mounted in it. It's not even heavy.

It's got two switches in a hole at the back. I don't know what they're there for.

The sticker is partly hand-written and coincidentally has serial number 11111 xD .

The inside is a huge skein of purple wires welded onto the switch contacts. The controller sits at the bottom.

It would appear this keyboard was made sometime in late 2010.

Maybe anyone knows more about it? It looks pretty funky :D .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
Re: Maltron keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 17:38:42 »
Maltron is pretty common as far as ergonomic keyboards go (as opposed to more obscure, homebrew ergonomic keyboards). The Kinesis Advantage is similar but made to be more mass marketable I suppose you could say. Maltron's are significantly more expensive but you're supposed to kind of get insurance to cover the cost of it. Maltron also offers a lot of customization in that they'll make one-of requests for you. The hand wiring and tested label is part of a result of that. The layout on the one you found is Dvorak.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 17:44:36 »
You found a Maltron? nice find!

I am a little disappointed to learn a couple of things: one that it's plastic, and two the wiring is so freaky. I much prefer Kinesis' approach in using a custom PCB split down each row with the Advantage; it just looks a lot cleaner.

I could probably get used to that quickly though; the Advantage is just so weird...thanks for sharing though!

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 19:26:44 »
Always wanted to try one. A guy I work with has a Kinesis, but I'm worried I'd like it and have to get rid of every other board I own.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 19:33:35 »
That is sweet.

I was going to cut one into 2 halves but the case would not withstand it. That's why I split a Kinesis. But I liked typing the Maltron better, even though I only used it briefly. Tempted to get one.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline iaeen

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 19:35:06 »
Wow, that's a pretty cool find. How did you come across it? I've been interested in trying something like this or the Kinesis knockoff, but I've always been put off by the price.

I had read that Maltron's construction was a little plasticky for the price, but I'm surprised to see that it is basically hand-wired. They should start selling the plastic case as a hand-wired kit. I would bet many of the people on this board would be interested in getting it.
ErgoDox Infinity

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 19:57:19 »
The price is for the 80 year old guy to hand wire it. They wouldn't make any money selling the parts.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 02:36:13 »
I bought it at a recycling centre. I might let go of it for the right price though, because I can't even touch type, let alone use something this complicated xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 14:59:26 »
I have an older two-handed Maltron, plus a left-handed and right handed one. I'm typing on a Kinesis at home -- it was easier to remap the keys to my own layout.

You are right about the weight of the Maltron, though -- they are surprisingly light. Now I am tempted to pull it the two-handed one out of the closet and play with it some more. :)