Author Topic: [IC] GMK Carbon R2  (Read 157256 times)

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
Re: [IC] GMK Carbon R2
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 12:38:41 »
IMO you don't need Spacebars (6u, 6.25u, 7u) in another kit since every color is already covered through base/beezarre/boneyard. I would do spacekeys only (1.25u, 1.75u, 2u convex, 2.25u, 2.75u)

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #151 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 12:42:15 »
IMO you don't need Spacebars (6u, 6.25u, 7u) in another kit since every color is already covered through base/beezarre/boneyard. I would do spacekeys only (1.25u, 1.75u, 2u convex, 2.25u, 2.75u)

Show Image

This is also possibility.

Love the accurate carbon gray color in your render ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 July 2018, 12:44:34 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #152 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 13:02:14 »
I agree with Oblotzky's suggestion!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #153 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 13:58:41 »
Update.

Novelties.
- Added R1 1u Carbon Logos
- Adjusted Carbon periodic table representation. The atomic number and mass value has been scaled down little bit.

Space kit
- Introduction of space kit.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 14:05:23 »
I’m gonna be that guy... but I’d love to be able to get orange 6,25 and 7u spaces as accent for the bone kit (purchase seperately), guess that’s put of the window right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #155 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 16:19:08 »
I’m drooling over which kits I plan on getting. I would like to see the 40’s kit have mods added to support Planck/Preonic layouts. I’m not much of a fan of using blanks from the Ergoplank kit. Otherwise, awesome job!!!

Offline projectcain

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 16:31:56 »
Hi here - been lurking around here for a while now and just made an account to post a question.

I have a JD40/45 split space keyboard that I would like to outfit with this. From the looks of your 40% kit, you want to stay with the traditional 2,3,4,4 GMK row configuration for 40% keyboards. The space keys kit compliments that plan nicely as well.

However, I’m wondering where we will get the rest of the R4 1.25u keys to fill out the bottom row (control, alt, super, etc)

Sorry if I’m missing something somewhere

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 16:51:15 »
Hi here - been lurking around here for a while now and just made an account to post a question.

I have a JD40/45 split space keyboard that I would like to outfit with this. From the looks of your 40% kit, you want to stay with the traditional 2,3,4,4 GMK row configuration for 40% keyboards. The space keys kit compliments that plan nicely as well.

However, I’m wondering where we will get the rest of the R4 1.25u keys to fill out the bottom row (control, alt, super, etc)

Actually, now that I think about it. What boards is the 40’s kit focused on?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 17:26:43 »

Welcome to Geekhack :)

Actually if you look at the kits you will not find any bottom row with row4. If you look at 40% kit its categorized as the extension kit and that means you need to get either carbon or bone base kit in order to use it. From one of the metnioned base kits you need the alphas and the bottom row which is row 5. So it will be rows 2,3,4,5.
I think another alternative would be to get one of the alpha kits for alphas (beezarre or boneyard) and Round 1 Upgrade kit for bottom row.
Probably the 40% kit might also work with GMK Carbon round 1 but this is just my assumption.

Actually, now that I think about it. What boards is the 40’s kit focused on?
Actually it supports almost every 40% keyboard (which i know) with staggerd alphas layout.

I’m drooling over which kits I plan on getting. I would like to see the 40’s kit have mods added to support Planck/Preonic layouts. I’m not much of a fan of using blanks from the Ergoplank kit. Otherwise, awesome job!!!

I can understand the excitement but i would like suggest to be cuatious with kit choices. Current kits are very generous and they will be expensive in the current state. For example i do not expect base kits (Carbon and Bone and i got no idea about the Ergoplanck) to cost less than 160$ at 250 MOQ (lowest MOQ) and i did not considered the row 0 and row 5 factors. But this is only my assumptions for lowest moq and you should take it with a grain of salt. The cost calculation are very complex and i dont know these anyway. So imo its better to drive back the expectations and look out for what you really need. Where is high probability that i will chop through the kits in order to reduce the pricing.

I’m gonna be that guy... but I’d love to be able to get orange 6,25 and 7u spaces as accent for the bone kit (purchase seperately), guess that’s put of the window right?

If you want extra spacebars, then please vote here: https://www.strawpoll.me/16048021

I dont think i will be able to offer spacebars for every color. The main issue here is the MOQ of 100 kits.

Offline projectcain

« Reply #159 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 17:52:32 »
It looks like to cover this keyboard I would need to have a bottom row with R4 1.75u space keys and R5 mods.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #160 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 17:56:03 »
It looks like to cover this keyboard I would need to have a bottom row with R4 1.75u space keys and R5 mods.

Yes indeed. Unfortunately there is no 1.75u key for row 5 available.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 18:56:24 »

I can understand the excitement but i would like suggest to be cuatious with kit choices. Current kits are very generous and they will be expensive in the current state. For example i do not expect base kits (Carbon and Bone and i got no idea about the Ergoplanck) to cost less than 160$ at 250 MOQ (lowest MOQ) and i did not considered the row 0 and row 5 factors. But this is only my assumptions for lowest moq and you should take it with a grain of salt. The cost calculation are very complex and i dont know these anyway. So imo its better to drive back the expectations and look out for what you really need. Where is high probability that i will chop through the kits in order to reduce the pricing

Actually, anytime Carbon comes around...money is no object!  :p

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 20:49:24 »
Truth.
I yell at my wife, "CARBON IS DROPPING!" and she just sighs and hands me the credit card....

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 21:49:55 »
Truth.
I yell at my wife, "CARBON IS DROPPING!" and she just sighs and hands me the credit card....

Lol  ;D

Offline goodman247

• It's confirmed, I'm an idiot.
« Reply #164 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 22:50:04 »
So happy that this is coming back!! I can finally get my hands on a set that's not crazy marked up :)

Offline projectcain

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 01:28:39 »

Yes indeed. Unfortunately there is no 1.75u key for row 5 available.

Ah that's a bummer. It would suck to have incorrect row coverage. I'm curious as to what setup would be using the 1.75u space keys in R4, if the bottom row should be R5? Would it make more sense to switch those to R5 as well?

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 09:17:12 »
Round 1 Upgrade kit
- Fixed row labels.
Show Image

R1 in the upgrade kit is just an error and is fixed. Thanks for pointing this out ;)

I know there already many kits. But it does not mean you need to get them all. Basically getting just one base kit should be enough to make you happy. Everything else is just an option.
Actually, I'd prefer an upgrade kit with the new novelties for R4, but I know it's not possible. The thing is I've tried R5 and I don't like its angle at all. But maybe it's just me.
Having never used R5, I'm curious if anyone knows if it creates a sharp edge for those that use their thumb for the bottom row?
This is exactly my problem, I have a set of R5 mods and they feel like they're just the opposite of what a bottom row should be: SA has a flat R3 on the bottom row; a lot of membrane boards have a rounded profile for the bottom row; even a lot of people flip their spacebars on OEM and Cherry profile sets because they find the downwards angle on the bottom row more comfortable. R5 is the opposite of all that.
I have BSP set with row 5 keys and they are noticable if you switch from row4 bottom row but not sharp. If you got low agnle keyboard you should probably stick with round 1 carbon. Imo 8-9% angle keyboards should be the golden standard.
R5 may work very well for those keyboards, but for most others with 3-6° it may not be the best option.
I understand the appeal of having a full sculpted set, and I'm not saying that you should change it back to R4, but I think an optional R4 bottom row is a more important option/kit than half of the new kits, at least for me.

- Added new extension "Bone Icon Extension kit". Afaik all the icons do already exist and i am using my source of information which i cant publish.
If you are using the same icons from Originative Red Honey, the PgUp and PgDn icons only have two horizontal bars crossing the arrow, not three.
Also the Delete key from the Originative set and your mockup has a narrow 'X' character inside, instead of a proper ×, and in person it looks very bad.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 July 2018, 09:25:38 by Endeavour1934 »

Offline grizzly_teddy

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 10:33:02 »
1. What is row 4c
2. I think numpad kits should be separate

Really like everything else, especially row 0/5. Wish some of the legends could be "upside down". I know a lot of people like me, want to invert the bottom row so that it is actually angled up, especially by the thumbs. But that would probably be new molds unfortunately.
> The way GH looks now, to a regular person, it screams, "Oh dang, this is one of **those** sites for really devoted and weird people".

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 10:39:27 »
1. What is row 4c
2. I think numpad kits should be separate

Really like everything else, especially row 0/5. Wish some of the legends could be "upside down". I know a lot of people like me, want to invert the bottom row so that it is actually angled up, especially by the thumbs. But that would probably be new molds unfortunately.

1. The C stands for Convex, refers to the key's top surface. Spacebars are Convex shaped:

2. GMK sets need to be kept as a base kit, it creates a lot of extra cost to split things up with that manufacturer. I only advise doing Numpad kits with other manufacturers like Signature Plastics.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 11:53:13 »
I understand the appeal of having a full sculpted set, and I'm not saying that you should change it back to R4, but I think an optional R4 bottom row is a more important option/kit than half of the new kits, at least for me.

I got already too many kits and two kits (International and Extra keys) are still missing. So i dont want to introduce any new kits. Keep in mind each kit has an MOQ of 100. If you need row 4 keys, you can try to get round 1 GMK Carbon on MM. Guess since its known round 2 is coming the prices inflated a little bit. Round 1 had almost 2k base kits so it would be acutally easy task to find one.

If you are using the same icons from Originative Red Honey, the PgUp and PgDn icons only have two horizontal bars crossing the arrow, not three.
Also the Delete key from the Originative set and your mockup has a narrow 'X' character inside, instead of a proper ×, and in person it looks very bad.

Thanks for the info. I will correct the icons in my mockups. I've never seen cluster icons in person but they are in that kit for people who like those. I am personaly not a fan of icon mods (tho i like only og cherry icons) but everyone has its own taste.

Ah that's a bummer. It would suck to have incorrect row coverage. I'm curious as to what setup would be using the 1.75u space keys in R4, if the bottom row should be R5? Would it make more sense to switch those to R5 as well?
The 1.75u row4 keys are there as filler because there is no key in that size for row5. I am sorry but there is nothing i could do about.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 12:28:29 »
For those who are curious about row 4 and row 5 difference.

The higher key is row 5 from BSP set.

Offline Cas

« Reply #171 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 14:00:28 »
Seems much higher, is it comfortable?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 14:21:12 »
Seems much higher, is it comfortable?

Personal preference. If you change from row4 to row5 you will notice it. But you get used to over time. I made the photos extra with these dramatic angles. But row5 is still shorter than row3 sa and its also shorter than IBM keycaps (at least if i compare it with my model f ).

Also here is the row 5 in combination with rows 1,2,3 and 4. As you can see it continues the curve of cherry profile. With row 4 bottom row you have more like a curve interrupted by a step.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 July 2018, 15:13:59 by T0mb3ry »

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 15:19:22 »
Yah, that looks painful for thumb strikers. I already feel the edge on R4. Any chance for an R4 kit? I like the idea of R0 but I'm thinking R5 may be too extreme for me.

Offline grizzly_teddy

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 15:45:13 »

1. The C stands for Convex, refers to the key's top surface. Spacebars are Convex shaped

Oh okay that's cool. I don't think I have ever seen those 1u and 2u 4c keys ever. Got a pic or render?
> The way GH looks now, to a regular person, it screams, "Oh dang, this is one of **those** sites for really devoted and weird people".

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #175 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 15:50:25 »

1. The C stands for Convex, refers to the key's top surface. Spacebars are Convex shaped

Oh okay that's cool. I don't think I have ever seen those 1u and 2u 4c keys ever. Got a pic or render?

They've been in like the last 3 GMK drops from MD, they're quite literally tiny spacebars.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 16:10:47 »
Ok it seems like row 5 and row 0 are niche thing. I will change all kits to standard rows as it used to be - rows 1,1,2,3,4,4. First of all it will make kits cheaper because it will reduce amount of keys. It will also make some kits obsolete like warning signs for row0.
The upgrade kit will be renamed to vintage kit and it will offer row 0 and row 5 keys in Carbon colors. Its obvous i cant support both Bone and Carbon colorways. I also need to look into by how much row 5 1.25u key might affect the pricing of such vintage kit. Probably that key will not be introduced.

Offline Poesjuh

[IC] GMK Carbon R2
« Reply #177 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 17:31:30 »
Ahhh kinda sad. I love the R0 and 5 idea. I thought that was such a cool and unique idea.

This is me hoping the antique kit will be for the bone kit now

Don’t get me wrong, if the masses prefer R1-4 I understand the decision, just disappointed if that turns out to be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 July 2018, 17:53:19 by Poesjuh »

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #178 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 17:49:25 »
Ok it seems like row 5 and row 0 are niche thing. I will change all kits to standard rows as it used to be - rows 1,1,2,3,4,4.

Dislike!
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #179 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 18:01:25 »
Ok it seems like row 5 and row 0 are niche thing.

Is this based on the results of a poll?

Offline projectcain

« Reply #180 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 18:11:11 »
Ok it seems like row 5 and row 0 are niche thing.

Is this based on the results of a poll?

I agree that a poll would be fair, but I’m firmly on team standard rows being a guy who uses 40% almost exclusively.

5 out of 6 boards I own don’t have the degree incline to make the R5 comfortable, even when hover typing.

Offline Marvellion

« Reply #181 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 18:16:43 »
R0 and R5 need the board to be inclined to be comfortable, otherwise the sharp corners just annoy your fingers.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 18:19:01 »
Imho that also depends on your sitting position and how you type. If you float your wrists above the desk it’ll be a lot nicer to type on then when you lay back and rest your arms and wrists on the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #183 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 18:23:15 »
Ok it seems like row 5 and row 0 are niche thing. I will change all kits to standard rows as it used to be - rows 1,1,2,3,4,4. First of all it will make kits cheaper because it will reduce amount of keys. It will also make some kits obsolete like warning signs for row0.
The upgrade kit will be renamed to vintage kit and it will offer row 0 and row 5 keys in Carbon colors. Its obvous i cant support both Bone and Carbon colorways. I also need to look into by how much row 5 1.25u key might affect the pricing of such vintage kit. Probably that key will not be introduced.
Row 5 and 0 bone kit are what are bringing me to Carbon this round, if you need vocal support you have mine.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #184 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 19:14:03 »
Row 5 and 0 bone kit are what are bringing me to Carbon this round, if you need vocal support you have mine.

+1, I'm instantly in for any set with r0 and r5, was super excited to hear this set was going to run them, but when I come to express support they are gone  :'(
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline rowie

« Reply #185 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 19:18:46 »

Another +1 for the 0-5 row.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 19:25:11 »
+1. Save the R0 and R5, please!

Offline dallman5

« Reply #187 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 19:33:21 »
Another vote for R0-5!
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #188 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 19:38:27 »
I’m a fan of making R0 and R5 it’s own kit!

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 19:52:10 »
Literally the only reason I was going to get this set was because of Row 0 - 5 support. As a long time user of this profile it is really, really nice. Highly recommend that folks try it. I was really excited about getting a Bone 0 - 5 kit.

Personally, I prefer Tsangan layout so 1.25u isn't that interesting for the bottom row, but I understand most people use it these days.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 July 2018, 19:54:55 by Wetherbee »

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 20:39:42 »

Really would have liked broad R0 R5 seen through, but I think this is the right call.  Profile change is high impact on typing experience and since it's going to be very costly, ROI is in doubt.
I do think that most vintage-ish enthusiasts will want something different than Round 1 (they probably already own multiple sets of Round 1), so maybe R5 makes sense as default for those vintage-ish keys?  Then Vintage Kit can primarily consists of R0s and this crowd hopely can get broader (both Carbon and Bone) colorway support, etc.

Lastly, I could be wrong on this, but 1.25u R5 row probably won't feel right.  I'd say same for R0, but I still want those since they will look fantastic.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 20:42:25 »
Please do R0/5 in base, and R1/4 in expansion.

People that don't want it can just buy R1 or expansion.

It should be different from R1.

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 20:46:50 »
One more vote for leaving R0/5 as the default

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 20:47:53 »
Was pretty excited too see what r0 and r5 could bring to the table :-[ hopefully this change can be reverted.

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #194 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 22:32:41 »
Honestly I think the R0-5 looks a little too uncomfortable to type on. But then again, I've never really owned a vintage kit that offered R0-5 so my opinion was solely based on visual experience. If the removal of R0-5 could help bringing the production cost down due to the fact that no new molds are needed to be manufactured, then I am totally down for it!

Offline s19850615

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 23:10:24 »
R0/R5 count me in

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #196 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 00:02:07 »
Glad to see so much support for R0 and R5 rows. Really appreciate it.  :D

Anyway let me figure out the pricings for the kits first. Thats the most important factor imo (if i mute the enthusiast inside me). I hope the R0 and R5 will be viable.

Also i made a poll for Cherry profile choice. Please vote for the profile constalation you prefer: VOTE HERE
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 July 2018, 00:08:59 by T0mb3ry »

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #197 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 00:25:38 »
You should absolutely keep R0/R5.  I don't get the thumb striking argument because at best you should be hitting only the spacebar and alt keys with your thumb (and not even right alt really), and everything else should be done with your normal fingers in which case the angle won't be an issue.  And tbqh it'd be good to force people to stop typing with broken wrists/poor form anyway (the reason probably 90% of people who flip their spacebars do so).

Offline Corrine4

« Reply #198 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 00:29:23 »
yeh

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #199 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 01:13:50 »
Can you change the name to Cabrón?