Author Topic: Retired for real this time, thanks everyone <3  (Read 90187 times)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Retired for real this time, thanks everyone <3
« on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 14:38:10 »
c u space cowboy

More
Closing shop soon after queue finishes to focus on work. Will reopen later!

~Sifo's Keyboard Services~

Send a request here: http://servicerequest.sifo.ca

Hihi welcome to my service thread! It seems I'm one of the only Canadian modders around so if you'd like work done to your boards and you don't wanna pay the hefty price to send it to another country and back plus currency conversion, I'm the guy you're looking for. I'm located in Toronto, ON.

I do switch tuning (lube/spring/sticker), full assembly, board and LED mod and swapping, repairs, and whatever else you wanna throw at me. Can also help you with programming firmware stuff for your board. I'm also down to meet up if you're close by and want to try something that I have ^_^ Note that I am currently not very comfortable or interested in modding stock boards but drop me a message anyway.

I offer competitive pricing, If you're interested, please fill out the form or drop me a private message here. Because of the huge variability in each individual project, I cannot give out a list of pricing for every service, but instead I will personally send you a quote for what you need done. My rates also depend on how much work it is, and with the Canadian dollar dropping so much the prices are constantly changing.

I'm only going to accept 1 order at a time. This way I don't stress myself out by looking at a huge pile of work that still needs to be done, and you can be assured that I am paying my fullest attention and detail to your and only your project that you need done. I will also not undertake any project that I don't feel comfortable doing or am not experienced in. For those of you who have worked with me in the past, my prices will have gone up a slight bit because our dollar sucks. With that said, I accept CANADIAN DOLLAR. I am ONLY shipping to Canadian addresses. You can send me parts from where ever around the world, but I'm only going to send the final product to a Canadian address.

I will add a queue to the second post and move down in that order. If I get no response from the person within 48 hours I move down to the next person and the unresponsive person gets bumped down.

I use a Hakko 888D and for now a soldapult >_> which means working on stock boards (swapping LEDs especially) is a challenge. I prefer you supply everything, although I have a little bit of lube I can use for a little extra charge.

Below is a picture portfolio of previous projects! You can also read the comments for reviews. Note that some pictures may feature outdated equipment/set up. And sorry for the poor photography :P

Repairs:

Ergo Dox
More

QFR (yikes!)
More

Assembly/Modding:

Added plate to Poker II
More

Ergo Dox
More

LZ-GH LEDs and SMD Resistors
More

GON NS 87
More

Duck Orion V1
More

KMAC 2.0
More

KMAC 1.2
More

Octagon
More

GON NerD Acrylic
More

GON NerD Acrylic + Text Review
More
Review
More
My "super quick" review of Sifo and the board he built (GON Acrylic TKL):

Text Review:

Background:

More
This board, along with a hopefully soon Novatouch once I sell off some of my other boards to fund it, is my endgame setup. I knew it would be my endgame the moment I saw the "original", b7ad's GON Acrylic, which this is basically a carbon copy of (sorry, no originality here). The LEDs matched my Linux terminal colours exactly, the flathead screws and the whole "fresh out of the shop" feel was perfect and it was love at first sight.

I knew that to have a perfect board I would need to assemble it properly, since GON doesn't offer assembly of acrylic. At the time I only knew of Margo's assembly services, but the lovely exchange rate and Canada's super affordable shipping rates [/sarcasm] dissuaded me from shipping to UK.

Luckily I had begun checking out geekhack at the time and saw Sifo's artisan services, so sent him a PM and the rest is history. Probably one of the best choices I've ever made (not saying I've made many good ones in my life, but beside the point).

Review

-------------

Build Quality:

More
Some credit has to go to GON for making some of the best tuned switches... ever. He's getting a bit of flak from people over delayed orders, but it says a lot about how good the man is when everyone stops complaining once they have received it. I will still wholeheartedly recommend GON, he's a very patient, great guy when you talk to him... just multiply advertised wait time by four before you make your decision.

However, I give my main credit to Sifo for assembling the board so well as to do the switches the proper justice. His attention to detail is excellent and all the switches are perfectly aligned. I know this because my BSP Olivetti, which is known for having crooked keys, is *uniformly* crooked (BSP QC is crapppp but the texture is worth the pain) when placed on. Just to be sure, I put on my Vortex set and everything lined up exactly flush.

The board's frame is assembled perfectly, screws aligned flush, alu feet level. If I *had* to nitpick one thing it's that he put the stick on rubber feet (not the ones on the alu feet, there are two other ones you put at the other end of the board) slightly misaligned, but that's just my OCD and it has no discernible effect, I just think honest reviews should cover *all* bases.

10/10

-------------

Service/Communication:

More
I think this is the most important part of "reviewing" someone - their work is important, but more important is how well they communicate and let you know about your product. In this area, Sifo gets an 11/10. He replied all my PMs and texts promptly, but what was most impressive is that he PM'd me and told me exactly how the build was going and issues he encountered.

In particular, he mentioned that the aluminum housing layers did not align flush, but he tried many times to get them to line up. I probably would have never noticed if he did not told me, though even now that I know, I don't even think about it - it's that small of an "issue". The fact that he was willing to alert me about a "negative" aspect of his work that is fairly unnoticeable was a welcome sign of honesty and one of the things I value in folks. Too many times I've been burned on Kijiji or mechmarket from people who "forget" to mention minor defects - even though they make no difference, I really value full disclosure and I do it in all my own sales.

Furthermore, during our correspondence, I realized I forgot to ask him to clip the stabilizers, after he had finished assembling. He willingly went back and figured out a way to clip them (luckily, GON's plate design is genius and he was able to avoid desoldering), and even lubed the wires with his own lube. Best part was he did it all free of charge, notifying me right away when it was finished.

11/10 Son of a ***** even let me try his TH600 when I came to pick up my board!  :thumb:

-------------

The board itself (feel, use, look, software):

More
Acrylic is one of those materials that don't look great... until you light it up with LEDs. It's the main reason I chose acrylic (also, to save money T_T). In that respect, when the board is on full LED, it is god-tier. I'm huge on aesthetics and this board satisfies me completely.

Feel-wise, the switches are stellar. I was extremely impressed by Topre at the meetup, but I still think Ergo-clear 62g wins my heart. It's still not quite as "smooth/buttery" as Topre, but it just feels so... right. Where Topre gives each individual press a great feel, Ergo-Clears feel effortless - I can maintain a typing rhythm much better and the feel of the smooth lubed switch accompanied by the satisfying "clack" of the downstroke... Amazing. I still notice no difference with stickers, but it came included with the switch, and it doesn't make it feel worse, so can't complain.

The frame itself feels really good. Even though it's acrylic, there's a hefty weight to it, about the same as my TEX aluminum Poker II. There is some slight flex if you push super hard on the middle, but then again, so does my Cherry G80-3000 at work. I never actually type that hard to create that flex anyway. During normal (and even fast typing), the frame is rock solid, with no flex at all.

My only gripe is it's really freaking hard to find linux support for NerD_config and the board seems to have problem when booting directly into linux through syslinux. Probably affects only 0.1% of us since the rest of you are windows using plebs, but just something to keep in mind if you have read this far and are deciding on getting a GON.

9.5/10

-------------

Pics:

Still waiting on Ivan's R4 PBT and exchange rate to go down so I can get some doubleshot keys from elitekeyboards.

I love this board so much I took it to work for a long typing session. I've used it for about two days now, long enough to get a feel for it.

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

tl;dr: If you are in GTA and are incurably lazy like me or don't have good soldering equipment, Sifo is a superb choice for your assembly services.

Atreus
More

Filco mod Text Review
More
Hey all! I recently had a Filco MJ1 modded by Sifo so here's my short review. Unfortunately no pics right now because I'm waiting on a cable from mimic and a few other small things to finish it up.

Sifo is super cool and friendly, I was kinda nervous as it was my first time meeting another geekhacker in person but that passed quickly after we started talking. I came to his side of town for drop it off, and he came to mine to deliver it back to me which was really nice of him.

I am very impressed by his work as well. To be fair I don't really have anything to compare it too, but it looks and feels phenomenal and I couldn't be happier. Sifo clearly puts time into his work and has excellent attention to detail.

Pricing was super fair too, it was nice to be charged in Canadian for once especially considering how crappy our dollar is atm. Turnaround was really fast (work was done within 3 days IIRC), although as Sifo mentioned that is liable to increase so don't expect to get the same speed in the future.

Overall, dealing with Sifo was a great experience and I would definitely recommend him to fellow Canadians for keyboard services.

Thanks Sifo!

Not updating this anymore, too lazy. I hope it's enough content and examples for you guys though <3

Again I live in Toronto and I'm available for local meet up ^_^ Otherwise you cover shipping both ways.

If you'd like to have cables as cool as mine visit http://mimic-cables.com

Tell them Sifo sent you ^_^

Disclaimer: I am not a professional or certified electrician, I do this as a hobby and not as a job, I'm simply looking to make enough money for my time. I do this for the Canadian community and for my love of keyboards. With that said, there is always a chance that I will make an error or mess up one of your boards. However I am willing to do what I can to compensate on the chance that something occurs, and I will be sure to work things out with you until things are right. Thank you.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 August 2016, 22:24:45 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: [CANADA] Keyboard Services!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 14:38:46 »
ez
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 August 2016, 22:24:57 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 14:44:43 »
Once I recieve my v2 Lightsaver, going to use this guy. :)
Has lots of knowledge, kind, and I'm guessing the most beautiful and delectable asian man in town.

@Zeal, Not sure if your referring to me, but I have the monitor you mentioned and love it, would love 27" but my coffee table is currently my desk.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 April 2014, 15:07:34 by Zombly »
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 14:59:56 »
Dat Sifo mousepad  :p

More Canadians in the Artisan's forum~  :)

Great taste on monitor style as well, the MX239H/MX279H are simply beautiful. (I have 2 27" ones) :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 April 2014, 15:02:28 by Zeal »
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 18:59:04 »
Just gotta say, sifo, you need more red in your life! Let it take over you :P even Mari has red on her glasses yo

Definitely recommend this guy, excellent communication and patience in dealing with his customers!

Ganbatte, bro!
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 19:33:37 »
Is that the GH lube? How do you effectively put it on? Squirt inside and then use the brush?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 19:40:14 »
Is that the GH lube? How do you effectively put it on? Squirt inside and then use the brush?

I don't believe so. GH lube doesn't come with such a fine needle. I believe Sifo uses his own mix. 

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 19:42:02 »

I don't believe so. GH lube doesn't come with such a fine needle. I believe Sifo uses his own mix.

nope, mine came with that needle

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 20:08:59 »

Mine came in a 2mm round needle ;_;

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 20:34:46 »

I do use my own mix of RO59 if people request it, but the standard is 70/30 krytox in the beta GH lube kit mkawa gave me like over a year ago. I have my own needles but this one came with it.

It's a super effective and thin needle, I don't need to use a brush at all anymore.
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:47:18 »
Too embarrassing to show photos of but I managed to ghetto fix a QFR's connector piece (the one on the actual PCB). The eyelets got ripped out along with the connector, but I managed to recomplete the circuit by trailing solder from the pins to the broken trace point :P typing on it now, seems to be working fine. Was a $5 repair job, was worried it would cost me more to fix it haha.
I love Elzy

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:49:52 »

Mine came in a 2mm round needle ;_;

mine had like 3 different ones

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 15:58:12 »
Sifo, you beat me by a week :/

You're between 30 and 60 minutes drive from me (at a guess), and I was just about to write a post offering similar services. Hopefully there's room in the market for a little competition :P
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 15:14:31 »
Too embarrassing to show photos of but I managed to ghetto fix a QFR's connector piece (the one on the actual PCB). The eyelets got ripped out along with the connector, but I managed to recomplete the circuit by trailing solder from the pins to the broken trace point :P typing on it now, seems to be working fine. Was a $5 repair job, was worried it would cost me more to fix it haha.

Update on this I had to jumper wire the QFR connector directly to the pins on the controller. You can see where the old connector sat (pads got ripped off)

More

I really need to get **** to clean off the flux...

Pretty sloppy on my part... but it works! (Trust me >_>)
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 April 2014, 15:19:03 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline adrl

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 16:24:32 »
That's my QFR board and can confirm, repair is successful!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 15:36:58 »
Quick bump, there seems to be a delay on the Duck boards I'm supposed to assemble so my queue is free right now ^_^
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 05:20:33 »
Stay tuned for the orion build ;D it's in town already
I love Elzy

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 05:35:03 »

Stay tuned for the orion build ;D it's in town already

Canada post is only gonna move it on Monday :S

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 16:18:25 »
More

Stay tuned for the full build

Full build completed see OP

« Last Edit: Tue, 13 May 2014, 23:29:13 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline Heezy

• Formerly trynds
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 01:32:46 »
Everyday! Girls day!

Rig - i3 6300, 240GB SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte H170N Wifi, 16GB DDR4, Zotac 1060 Mini, 650w SuperFlower
Monitor - HKC144hz Mouse/Mousepad/Keyboard - Zowie EC1A - Zowie GS-R - Zowie Camade - Filco TKL MX Pink

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 08:38:03 »
Sifo I'll no doubt hit you up once I'm done collecting my parts [unless I can find something cheaper or closer than ON]
Love you. #legitballin'

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 08:47:28 »
Thanks guys ^_^ I gotta bring down another desk to do my work on now cuz mine's too cluttered thanks to the 61es. I plan to finish the Orion tonight and send it out tomorrow.
I love Elzy

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 10:47:00 »

Thanks guys ^_^ I gotta bring down another desk to do my work on now cuz mine's too cluttered thanks to the 61es. I plan to finish the Orion tonight and send it out tomorrow.

Kekekeke

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 16:12:29 »
More

(needs some light sanding)

Potato pics of clipping stabilizers... point and shoot can't do macro shots :( but you get the point

Gonna put this all into one post and have it organized better, heading out for now.

Full Orion in OP
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 May 2014, 23:29:28 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 23:30:19 »
And here you have it folks:

Some of the LEDs look orange but it's red :\
I love Elzy

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
[CANADA] Keyboard Services!
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 23:46:41 »

Show Image

Show Image

Have I ever told you I loved you?
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 May 2014, 23:49:51 by calvins1 »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 23:54:22 »

Show Image

Show Image

Is that your Orion Calvins? Awesome job Sifo, looks beast.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 00:01:07 »

Show Image

Show Image

I love how everyone just adds an s to my name, but yeah it is ^^
Sifo prob wants to hold onto it for a little longer though, and I don't blame him ;s

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 00:03:25 »

Show Image

Show Image

Sifo prob wants to hold onto it for a little longer though, and I don't blame him ;s

Pst, Sifo, mail it over to me first. ^_^

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 00:25:23 »

Show Image

Show Image

oh my bad, CALVIN :P

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 14:38:02 »
I have yet to find the time to put on caps and actually type on it. I'm behind schedule so I don't think I'll be doing that, I'd prefer to just get it out to Calvin asap. It was enough to have the pleasure of building it, I hope I can get myself a Viper or another Orion in the future.

Meanwhile, it looks like I'm gonna be building a kmac2 as well soon.
I love Elzy

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 17:53:46 »
Awh what a nice keyboard! Just wondering when you clip the stabs off, does that include the space bars stabs as well ? :D
That clipped stab picture will help me when I fix mine :D
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 17:59:47 »
Awh what a nice keyboard! Just wondering when you clip the stabs off, does that include the space bars stabs as well ? :D

Yeah I do it for the spacebar too, but I don't think the spacebar matters as much for whether you clip them or not.           
I love Elzy

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 18:10:49 »

Yeah I do it for the spacebar too, but I don't think the spacebar matters as much for whether you clip them or not.         

Yeah that's what I thought. :D thanks !
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 01:27:02 »
A little preview.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 01:47:46 »
A little preview.
Show Image

Banana pic + blurry + 500x281 pixels wide. Calvin, step up your game.  ;)

P.S. + 20" Acer TN Panel

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 02:08:29 »
A little preview.
Show Image

Banana pic + blurry + 500x281 pixels wide. Calvin, step up your game.  ;)

P.S. + 20" Acer TN Panel

I don't own a DSLR gdi

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 12:16:27 »
Hey guys I been super busy lately, so boards are still in queue. KMAC 2 and Lightsaver v1 coming soon as I try to wrap up some other projects not keyboard related :x
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:36:21 »

Eventually™

KMAC 2 from Originative for customer
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 12:57:16 »
Stayed up all night :X It is complete, KMAC 2:

62g clears with RO-59
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 June 2014, 20:16:05 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 13:14:04 »
Uncropped and unresized, Dropbox not playing nicely with img tags. Will fix later, too fucing tired

Sifo pls. Those images aren't direct links.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 20:15:50 »
Uncropped and unresized, Dropbox not playing nicely with img tags. Will fix later, too fucing tired

Sifo pls. Those images aren't direct links.

Fixed T_T dropboxed cuz was lazy
I love Elzy

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 20:59:52 »

Show Image

Show Image

62g clears with RO-59
I'm jelly of the red backplate :(

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 22:09:49 »

Show Image

Show Image

62g clears with RO-59

Noice ghpad behind there  :p

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 23:44:24 »

Show Image

Show Image

62g clears with RO-59

Noice ghpad behind there  :p

will get to that eventually, I assembled all the smd stuff but it's not detecting on my computer even with the bootloader switch so I gave up for now
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 21:46:59 »

??

ETA: SOON

« Last Edit: Sun, 08 June 2014, 22:33:03 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline Alex528

• HELLO YES I LIKE CLICKY KEYBOARD YES VERY NICE
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 21:48:59 »
A bit off topic, but is that a pink Lamy Safari I see?~

Poker 2, SP PBT DSA, MX Blues.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 21:49:50 »
A bit off topic, but is that a pink Lamy Safari I see?~

Ya son
I love Elzy

Offline GSimon

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 19:51:59 »
Bam!

Ergo-dox in queue :D Thanks Sifo for taking on the Poker plate also, am stoked!

Offline dante

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 22:32:59 »
Sifo: Any problems with putting Kailh switches in a Gon?  :p