Author Topic: Pointing device to go with my HHKB ?  (Read 5781 times)

Offline burann

Pointing device to go with my HHKB ?
« on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 07:21:21 »
Hi,

I work +8 hours a day with computers and the last 20 years is taking out its toll, I start to feel pain in my wrists.

The first thing I did was get myself a real keyboard a HHKB Pro2 that have helped allot. The next thing to optimize is the mouse, currently using a "normal" cordless mouse from Logitech.

Ideal I would find something that fitted in-front of my keyboard so I could navigate with my thumbs, but it seems that at least the trackballs I found are to big or to "high".

So I have to reach out and ask the pro's , is there any trackballs that can fit in front of a HHKB pro 2 ?

Price is no concern.

Offline urlwolf

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 16:58:35 »
I'd recommend a rollermouse, a filco trackpad or a trackpoint. No external trackpoints that I know of, and barely any mech keyboards, but you could get a desko (check reviews here) from didjamatic.
keyboards: Cherry G80-3494- cherry reds | filco majestytouch - cherry browns | kinesis contour - cherry browns | cherry G80 - 1800 cherry blacks.
mice: filco touchpad | logitech G9x | wowpen joy | kensington orbit trackball | zalman fpsgun | intellimouse v1 | logitech rx1500

Offline sadbox

• life coaching since 1990
    • sadbox dot org
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 08:02:18 »
I have had some mousing pains in the past and they have seemed to all but go away by switching to a trackball, but YMMV.
Work: Topre Realforce + CST L-Trac
Home: QFR (Blues, Blank Black PBT caps) + CST L-Trac-X

Offline Mazora

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 08:30:37 »
urlwolf: whats the advantage of using a filco touchpad ? I find it quite expensive, just wondering !

Thx
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 10:47:07 »
How about mousekeys embeded in home position? I have lived with it for months and feel good.
On my HHKB with custom firmware I can move pointer by vi cursor(h,j,k,l), click by space.
You can probably do this with AHK script.

BTW, This is my DIY thumb trackpoint :)
I had used it for several days and then gave up. I found my thumb is not so clever.

Offline urlwolf

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 11:50:14 »
Quote from: Mazora;288761
urlwolf: whats the advantage of using a filco touchpad ? I find it quite expensive, just wondering !

Thx

Well, it's something you can place under your keyboard :). It's quite good quality. Maybe the magic apple thing is a better buy now, it's bigger... I dunno. I like the filco.
keyboards: Cherry G80-3494- cherry reds | filco majestytouch - cherry browns | kinesis contour - cherry browns | cherry G80 - 1800 cherry blacks.
mice: filco touchpad | logitech G9x | wowpen joy | kensington orbit trackball | zalman fpsgun | intellimouse v1 | logitech rx1500

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 February 2011, 17:14:19 »
TrackPoints and Trackpads are horrible for thumbs. They are designed for index fingers.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 12:33:04 »
I use a CST LTracX with my HHKB, though I use it immediately to the side, rather than under the keyboard.

I find that it's a very good combination for development purposes.

Also, welcome to geekhack!
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline bionicroach

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 14:08:07 »
Welcome to geekhack!

I'd second the RollerMouse recommendation.  I've been extremely happy with mine.  Particularly if cost is not a concern.  (The only bad thing about them is they run around $219 new.)

http://ergo.contourdesign.com/products/rollermouse/default.aspx

You can sometimes find used ones for a good price on ebay, and they do seem like they would last quite a while as long as they weren't abused / spilled on /etc, so I wouldn't be too worried about buying used.

If you contact Contour directly, they also offer a 30 day free trial (pre pay with credit card, refund if you don't like it).  That way you're only out the shipping if it doesn't work out for you.

Offline lootbag

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 17:58:49 »
Quote from: theferenc;290350
I use a CST LTracX with my HHKB, though I use it immediately to the side, rather than under the keyboard.

I find that it's a very good combination for development purposes.

Also, welcome to geekhack!

+1 here.
I use the L-Trac-X with all my keyboards.
It is particularly nice with the HHKB because my mouse and keyboard footprint become very small and compact!

Offline theferenc

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 08:01:22 »
You would desecrate a Stickley chair? Good for your wife not letting you.

I love my computers and input devices, but...you gotta draw a line somewhere. Turns out mine is destroying a  piece of Stickley.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline sadbox

• life coaching since 1990
    • sadbox dot org
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 14:00:36 »
Quote from: lootbag;290938
+1 here.
I use the L-Trac-X with all my keyboards.
It is particularly nice with the HHKB because my mouse and keyboard footprint become very small and compact!

I use my L-Trac-X next to a Filco Tenkeyless. It's awesome at work to actually have space to the right of my keyboard and mouse to place a notepad.
Work: Topre Realforce + CST L-Trac
Home: QFR (Blues, Blank Black PBT caps) + CST L-Trac-X

Offline Surly73

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 11:38:05 »
It may not be well suited to the tiny HHKB, but if you're trying to solve real pain there are ideas like the roller mouse which moves mouse function to a long roller which is at the bottom of the KB:

My only form of true RSI has been pain in my LMB knuckle which comes and goes.  At the time my only option was to find something which moved left click to a thumb - this was hard to find.  I ended up with a Kensington Expert Mouse to use when this knuckle flares up.

Offline Carefoot

• http://carefoot.ca
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 00:04:48 »
Quote from: ripster;290951
I've got  two of the CST trackballs.  If my wife would let me I'd embed it into a Stickley Mission chair and plug into my netbook.

Looks huge next to the HHKB [strike]Killer[/strike]  "Alternative".
Show Image

Is there any tutorial on setting up a PC like that, because it looks kind of neat and tidy I like it.

Quote from: urlwolf;288836
Well, it's something you can place under your keyboard :). It's quite good quality. Maybe the magic apple thing is a better buy now, it's bigger... I dunno. I like the filco.

I can't find any video of the filco touchpad and I am very interested in one but because I loved the build quality of my Filco ten keys less (which I ultimately sold in Korea to a pro gamer by the name of Oak)...

I found it for sale here http://leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1249275844 but still I lack any video of it,  I want to try it badly >.>
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 March 2011, 01:02:43 by Carefoot »
* - Black "Otaku" HHKB Professional 2
* - Filco Neo Multifinger Touch Pad
* - AKG701 headphones
* - Steelseries [Rubberized/Raw] Sensei

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 03:51:46 »
Quote from: Carefoot;303249
Is there any tutorial on setting up a PC like that, because it looks kind of neat and tidy I like it.

If you're referring to the caseless PC, google around for "Tech Benches" and see what you come up with.

Offline Carefoot

• http://carefoot.ca
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 20:01:03 »
Quote from: Brodie337;303305
If you're referring to the caseless PC, google around for "Tech Benches" and see what you come up with.

I see.  Thanks :)

Reminds me I have another mobo in my closet I can do something with.
* - Black "Otaku" HHKB Professional 2
* - Filco Neo Multifinger Touch Pad
* - AKG701 headphones
* - Steelseries [Rubberized/Raw] Sensei