Author Topic: Mice advice: Naos 3200 vs RAT 5 vs ?  (Read 8151 times)

Offline ZidaneTribal

Mice advice: Naos 3200 vs RAT 5 vs ?
« on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 13:36:52 »
I will confess I have never owend, or even tried out a proper gaming mouse before. Monitary limitations have forced me to stick with an 8 year old Gateway stock mouse (came with my old computer), teh occasional surplus Dells and a few wireless mice my motehr purcahsed on sale at target. Naturally I do not wish to relive my experiences with these mice, but I must also confess that I am in no way shape or form co-ordinated. My fine motor skills are at best poor, and I have been known to fall right out of my bed.

Becuase of this I don't want to spend money on a sensor I don't have the skill or inharent capabilities to take advantage of. I would also like to avoid spending much  more than 50 bucks if I could on a mouse.

I am currenlty looking at the two mice mentioned in the thread name, A Naos 3200 and RAT 5, and attempting to judge them on the criteria I feel matter most to me. I shall list them in order of importance.

Comfort:

I tend to rest my hand rather flat with a palm grip, and as a result usually have about 3 inches of space between thumb and pinky with most mice, resulting in both fingers resting on the table. I would prefer they rest on the mouse. Would also prefer a heavier mouse if at all possible.

Durability:

I am on my computer at least 8 hours most days, and require a device that can take a serious beating. This includes things like cat pulling it onto floor, rapid repeated clicks and other unforseeable accidents that may come along.

Utiltiy:

Extera buttons are alwayse nice, but they need to be placed where they will be of use, and big enough/seperated enough to be easily accessed by stubby clumbsy fingers. Programmable options are a plus but I doubt that I will need to customize every little thing for every game. I would much prefer to have something I can take into any game as is (though setting up profiles for different programs would not hurt)

Astetics:

More of a tiebreaker catagory. I am a sucker for multipule LED color options, exposed shiney metal and angles.

As the thread name suggests I am more than willing to look at other mice as well, though I am in no way shape or form capable of managing a trackball. I thank you all in advance for your time and consideration.
Proudly Suffers from "Chronic Hero Syndrome"

Offline qvindtar

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 19:06:54 »
The first question that comes to my mind is "What do you play the most of?" Without knowing that, and If I were going to give general advice, it would probably be for something like a Logitech G9x - you can customize the grip and mouse weight, and has the capability to store different profiles onboard. For what it's worth Logitech's customer service is also considered top notch (I've personally had replacement items in the mail with no questions asked when I've had issues). I don't have any personal experience with the Naos, and after spending some time with a Rat5, I can't say I was blown away by it - it seemed kinda flimsy. Have you considered anything from Steelseries?
Metallic Blue Filco with MX Browns Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4k, Logitech G11

Offline ZidaneTribal

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 19:29:17 »
Well the vast majority of what I play tends to be RPGs, RTS, alot of old school games (I still keep Lands of Lore, Plainscape: torment and Balders gate to name a few). but those can use most any mouse. I have been trying a few FPS games but my main thing has still been games like Fallout where it is simply easier to use VATS.

I admit I am sad to hear that the Rat 5 is flimsy considering how nice it would be to have something re-adjustable for when ones hand gets tired.

Just looked up the G9X and admittedly it does look pretty nice. Rather it looks horrible, but the design and specs indicate quite a bit of functionality for the cost. They could have done with making a couple of those white plastic bits like at the mouse wheel clear to let out LED light and make the custom LED color worth something, but weight profile and ergonomics are all there. Plus it has a pretty good price tag on Newegg.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 04:41:55 »
I would also recommend the G9x, it seems to fit most of your requirements. Logitech mice are in my experience a lot more solid than most of their competitors, so you probably won't break it easily.
As for the LED, I think having a glowing mouse wheel as well would be a bit much, the dpi/profile indicator is enough and it looks rather slick. In my opinion it is a very good looking mouse, although it took me a few years to realise. The first time I saw one I was disgusted and couldn't figure out why they would make it like that. When I saw it again a few years later I fell in love with it.

Although there are a few things you should be aware of. First; I'm not sure how good it is for palm grip as it is low-profile, but I guess this depends more on hand size and what you're used to. It is definitely possible to use a palm grip, but for me it's a bit odd as I'm used to higher profile mice.
Second; if you're planning on using the dark claw grip that comes with it you'll run into issues with the side buttons if you hold your mouse a bit hard. I've found that when things get busy in games I tend to squeeze my mouse a bit hard which again causes the grip to flex a little and accidentally press one of the side buttons.

Hopefully I've managed to make some sense here. All in all the G9x is a fantastic mouse well worth the money, I think it might become my new all-time favourite, a position my trusty G5 currently holds.

Offline trav

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 22:09:49 »
The rat5 I didnt like because it has no place for your pinky finger. When you have large hands having a mouse big enough that all your digits can actually fit on the mouse is important.

So far my favourite mouse is the evoluent vertical mouse. Its rather large and has different dpi settings.
At home I have some high end gaming mouse, not sure what its called.. The cord comes out the side or some silly non-sense. But it was the only mouse I could find that had a place for all my darn fingers (i have 5 fingers just incase you are wondering)..

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 03:53:07 »
The RAT series use the Phillips Twin Eye sensor, and in my experience, its bloody rubbish. Every time I took the mouse off the pad the cursor would drop to the bottom of the screen.

I prefer the Logitechs, and the G500, G700 and G9x all share the same Avago ADNS-S9500 sensor. The only issue I find with it is a tiny bit of positive acceleration. If you're a high DPI gamer, it might be for you, just pick the shape you like.

The Naos is an Avago ADNS-3060 sensor (up to 1800 DPI) which isn't a bad sensor at all. It comes down to how you play really.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 01 May 2011, 00:45:31 »
I love my RAT 7, have had zero issues with the sensor. And it has the swappable pinky rest (I too have large hands), but its not cheap (cheapest I've found is $75 on amazon).

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 02:13:21 »
Wut? He asked for a palm grip. Then you all recommend the G9x, easily the smallest gaming mouse ever made? Created specifically for the claw grip? I am completely baffled.

If you wanna look at a logitech, the only choice is the G500. The Naos is supposed to be quite comfortable. It's also supposed to be quite good. I was recently looking for a gaming mouse, and all of the R.A.T. mice were thrown out because of the mistake in the sensor. I'm sure everyone would agree that sort of thing is kind of important.

So since it sounds like you're after the same things I was here's what I would compare between:

Naos 3200 (which has 3200 dpi, not 1800, hence the name)
Logitech G500
Sidewinder X8: Is technically wireless, but you can ignore that and just use it wired like I was going to.
Gigabyte GM-M8000X:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826146014\

I actually went with a Roccat Kone Plus, which also has crazy customizable LEDs, but it is not sold in the US, I had to buy it for $100 from Isreal. So it's out for what you're looking for. I still haven't actually received it yet, so I can't say anything about it other than what you can find on it by googling it.

My next up (before I decided to spend all that money) was honestly that gigabyte. After that to me it would be a tie between the Naos and the Sidewinder, I would probably have gone with the sidewinder just because I've been curious how those are since they first released.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 05:38:11 »
Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;340186
Naos 3200 (which has 3200 dpi, not 1800, hence the name)
no, it doesn't
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 11:26:15 »
What the heck, yes it does:

http://www.amazon.com/Mionix-Naos-Wired-LED-optical-Mouse-Pc/dp/B0041SPG24/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1304353075&sr=8-1

http://www.mionix.net/page.php?al=naos3200

Even the promotional trailer on that page says so. I'd hope they know their own product at least that well.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 11:57:55 »
Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;340186
... all of the R.A.T. mice were thrown out because of the mistake in the sensor ...

Wut? Which mistake is that? I haven't had a single problem with my 7 yet.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 12:39:56 »
If you have a good mousepad, and use relatively high DPI, and thereby never pick it up for anything, then you won't notice it. Since I wasn't 100% sure I wouldn't pick it up at some point it was too much of an issue to me.

Anytime you pick it up it's supposed to mess up for a second or two, which = death in FPS games. I've read about it happening in countless places, and had people tell me in person not to buy it because of this. It has been suggested that 1. Different surfaces may help or hurt this behavior, but since there has been no real testing for/of this and results posted it was still eliminated from what I was looking at because of this issue. 2. That the R.A.T. 9 actually has this issue fixed, but it was too much for what I wanted to spend and is also wireless. I refuse to deal with batteries any less than once a month, at the least, so it was also out.

As such, I can see why its possible that someone wouldn't know about this even owning the mouse.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 12:41:39 »
I see. That makes sense. I love the thing, and don't really play much FPS, so I guess it's a non-issue for me.

Offline Skylit

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 13:49:23 »
Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;340381

http://www.amazon.com/Mionix-Naos-Wired-LED-optical-Mouse-Pc/dp/B0041SPG24/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1304353075&sr=8-1

Even the promotional trailer on that page says so. I'd hope they know their own product at least that well.

heh, I'll let Bullveyr answer this one since he purposely made you respond lol

Offline RamaBot

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 02:43:13 »
The classic mouse to fit your needs.

Many pro gamers use them today..

Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-B75-00113-Intellimouse-Explorer-3-0/dp/B000GOUE7O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1304408628&sr=8-3

It is low DPI - but so what. Many pro gamers only 400 DPI.

And look at the price of them. Peanuts.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 May 2011, 02:45:16 by RamaBot »

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 03:35:34 »
Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;340381

What manufacturers claim doesn't have to be true. :wink:

As you can see here the NAOS 3200 uses the Avago ADNS-3060 which is rated at 800 CPI allthough it's possible that they run it with the ADNS-3080 srom which is rated at 1600 CPI.
Theoretically they could use a 3rd party lens to crank up the CPI but that's very unlikely, first afaik there is no lens that boosts the CPI that much and second it would totally screw up the tracking.

For example NZXT uses a lens from Kingsis with the ADNS-3080 in their Avatar mouse to boost the CPI from 1600 to 2600. The obvious result is that the mouse performs far worse than you can expect from a "normal" ADNS-3080 mouse.

So we can safely assume that at least the 3200 CPI are interpolated.
That means that the MCU multiplies the movement data sent by the sensor befor it sends it to the PC.
Allthough that way technically the mouse sends 3200 counts when you move it 1 inch it has nothing to with real 3200 CPI.

Ther is also a thread on OCN (click) where a Mionix Guy wanted to answere some question.
He hasn't been seen on this thread after he probabaly realised that I know my stuff about mice and don't fall for the "we tuned our mouse just as BMW tunde the M5" comparison.

PS: Mionix isn't the only manufacturers that does that, notable examples are the Roccat Kova and pretty much the whole gaming line from A4Tech.

Quote from: Skylit;340480
heh, I'll let Bullveyr answer this one since he purposely made you respond lol

Only 50%, the rest was pure laziness. :biggrin:

Offline fuzzybyte

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 15:44:11 »
Quote from: Bullveyr;340850
PS: Mionix isn't the only manufacturers that does that, notable examples are the Roccat Kova and pretty much the whole gaming line from A4Tech.

hey, you wouldn't happen to had a list somewhere of mice and their sensors?
or any  other relevant info about mice sensors..

what sensor does SS ikari laser have?
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 May 2011, 16:09:30 by fuzzybyte »

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 20:57:51 »
I guess I know far more about keyboards than mice at this point.

OP: let us know what you go with.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 01:34:21 »
Quote from: fuzzybyte;341209
hey, you wouldn't happen to had a list somewhere of mice and their sensors?
or any  other relevant info about mice sensors..

what sensor does SS ikari laser have?

Sry for the delay but I wanted Skylit to give the chance to answere this because it's his list (I only helped).

http://www.overclock.net/mice/854100-ocn-mouse-sensor-reference-performance-sheet.html

The Ikari Laser has a Cypress OviationONS I Sensor
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 May 2011, 02:38:06 by Bullveyr »

Offline fuzzybyte

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 11:16:12 »
Quote from: Bullveyr;341904
Sry for the delay but I wanted Skylit to give the chance to answere this because it's his list (I only helped).

http://www.overclock.net/mice/854100-ocn-mouse-sensor-reference-performance-sheet.html

The Ikari Laser has a Cypress OviationONS I Sensor

much thanks to you dear sir/madam

Offline ZidaneTribal

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 06 May 2011, 13:56:35 »
Well I've more or less decided after going into a best buy. Right now between reading up on the physical dimensions of the Roccat and my first test of the 3600 I am going to say that it will come down to going out and trying the naos grip again. If I like it, I shall get it. If I don't I'll be saving up to ship a Roccat over here.

Thank you everyone for the massive amounts of help! Definately opened my eyes to several new options.

Offline khoolmann

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 02:20:38 »
Hey, not sure if you've made your purchase yet, but I own both the Mionix Naos 5000 and the R.A.T 9 - and whilst not exactly the same comparison spec wise, physically identical to your two options.

Both mice are awesome IMO, but for comfort, you can't beat the Mionix - simply superb comfort - the rubber coating is amazing. The drivers for the Mionix are also better - customisation is top notch.

I also place my entire hand on the mouse, have found the Naos super comfy for all-day use;-)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 12:45:11 »
I quite like the roccat so far. I've only had it a couple of days, but I'd say its worth the money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROCCAT-Kone-Plus-Max-Customization-Gaming-Mouse-/290563003882?pt=Mice&hash=item43a6e795ea

Is where I got it from.