Author Topic: durable mouse!?  (Read 10308 times)

Offline Arcane

durable mouse!?
« on: Sun, 13 May 2012, 04:36:24 »
hello,

I own a Xai, Sensei and a Lachesis 5600 at the moment and after having used many Razer, Steelseries mice in the past I came to the conclusion that production quality seems to become worse and so new mice and especially so called gaming mice have just bad quality. Of all these mice I own (lachesis, xai, sensei) I had issues after a short period of time. For example the cursor on the Lachesis jumped randomly when listended to loud music. You were not able to surf the web while listen to loud music, thanks to the Phillips Twin Eye....Then I bought myself a new sensei, you won't find anything negative about it on the web so it must just be good. Well if I compare it to my Xai I really must say besides all those funky bling bling lights and stuff the Xai is just better. The main buttons on the Xai are much better, on the sensei you can feel some distance between the swtich underneath the mouse button and the button itself. So if you click very slowly with the Sensei you will hear a "click" when the mouse button touches the switch and another "click" when you actually press down the switch. Mouse wheel on the sensei didn't get improved at all. Scrolling up is just as clunky as on the Xai. The overall built quality just seems not good enough to spend so much money on a mouse. You should just expect a much better built quality. I will send the sensei back. Isn't it funny "gaming mice" get worn out and damaged after a short period of time but those OEM mice like dell mouse are just ****ing durable no matter what...

I still have an IE 3.0 and the shape is just amazing still. The main buttons click perfectly but I can't really use it because it is waaaayyy too slow for me on my 24" screen...

I think I won't buy any Razer, Steelseries product any more as long as they don't offer the customer the built quality they deserve for these prices.

So is there still anything out there with good built quality??

I need something with:

-1800-2300cpi
-thumb buttons
-good clicky feel on the two main buttons
-good mouse wheel (silent)
-got used to palm grip /ambidextrous but might as well go with ergonomic
-no steelseries, razer crap any more
-would prefer optical after having only laser mice
-new mouse will run on a puretrak talent (at least that one is good)...

Any recommendations ???

thank you!
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 May 2012, 04:42:38 by Arcane »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
durable mouse!?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 May 2012, 07:15:15 »
Basically any Logitech mouse. Logitech has always been my number one choice if I want something I know will work and last. My 1st gen G5 still works like a charm, and if you want optical the G400 is a pretty good choice. It's pretty new so not sure how durable they are, but it's replacing the MX518 and they are known to be solid and good mice.

Offline Daniel Beaver

durable mouse!?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 May 2012, 12:15:58 »
I would also agree with Logitech. I've had Razor and MS mice break on me, but never any of my cheapo Logitechs.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline StaCT13

durable mouse!?
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 May 2012, 19:27:12 »
Speaking of durability, does anybody have any experience with the Mionix Naos 5000? It's gotten good reviews, but I have no idea on the actual quality. Probably would go for a similarly priced Logitech, if they didn't look so ugly (IMO).

ErgoDox Classic Aluminium (MX Reds) | Leopold TKL Otaku (MX Browns) | Rosewill RK-9000 (MX Blues) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black)

Happily typing in Dvorak

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
durable mouse!?
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 May 2012, 19:41:54 »
No other mouse out there better for all your preferences than the Logitech G400. Perfect mouse sensor with no accel, prediction, or Z-axis issues that you've had with your other mice. Fits the palm grip like a glove.

Let us know your experience with it!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
find me on twitter: @sawedust
starcraft 2 related blog: QuanticSawe.851
QuanticGaming.com

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
durable mouse!?
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 May 2012, 22:25:37 »
The Logitech G500 is an excellent mouse that fits your specifications. If you look through my posts on this subforum, you'll find they're basically just me recommending this thing. Great mouse. Try flipping the weight to shift the balance if you get one. It can make it a little more comfortable.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline HolidaySHRIMP

durable mouse!?
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 May 2012, 22:37:29 »
G500 is best mouse I've ever owned. I have two of them now (work/home).

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
durable mouse!?
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 May 2012, 22:42:51 »
I'd recommend a Logitech G5v2, but i doubt you can find that anymore. I've had it for about 4-5 years and it's still going strong!
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline Oafmeal

durable mouse!?
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 00:37:17 »
G400 sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for.  If you like the shape it's hard to go wrong, and you just might love it as a palm gripper.

Offline FinancialWar

durable mouse!?
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 07:11:35 »
have tried Deathadder, very solid, durable it is the best mouse I have ever used*
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline All The Fire

durable mouse!?
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 20:16:39 »
In terms of build quality I think it's a hit or miss type thing personally. I'm sure there are plenty of people who could tell you a razer mouse has lasted them years and years and some who could say they've fallen apart in months.

I can say I had two MX518's break within 9-10 months or so, the second one had it's right click go in a month. But I've had a G9x for a year now, gone through a multitude of clicks with 30000+ kills with the FAL in Blops , and the only way I see it having deteriorated is the wheel notches may not be as pronounced.

Quote from: StaCT13;591974
Speaking of durability, does anybody have any experience with the Mionix Naos 5000? It's gotten good reviews, but I have no idea on the actual quality. Probably would go for a similarly priced Logitech, if they didn't look so ugly (IMO).
I've heard good things, I really want to try one myself but I can't justify the price being a claw gripper. Their keyboards are of course solid as.

Offline net2522

• lollollollol
durable mouse!?
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 20:48:16 »
G700 Logitech 3 Warranty

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
durable mouse!?
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 03:47:08 »
Quote from: All The Fire;592865
In terms of build quality I think it's a hit or miss type thing personally. I'm sure there are plenty of people who could tell you a razer mouse has lasted them years and years and some who could say they've fallen apart in months.

Seems to be the deal with Razer; they're great mice as long as you get one that works. The lights on my Deathadder died out a few days after I got it, not that it's a huge issue because who cares about lights, but even so I still expect them to work. Sent it back, got a new one and that's been working great for me so far.
I'm really a big fan of Razer because their mice are unique, at least compared to some of the other "gamer" brands. Steelseries' mice all look the same, without a logo I don't think I could easily spot a Roccat mouse from a QPad one etc.

Offline tukkez

durable mouse!?
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 04:54:53 »
i have a zowie ec1 And i like it more than ie 3.0, DA, g400, mx518, roccat kone, g5

Offline Arcane

durable mouse!?
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 12:44:57 »
Hmm I looked for some of the mice you suggested and I found a very cheap one by Zalman. My brother really needed a new mouse because his old Diamondback's cable got bit through by our rabbits. Also I wanted to know how different the built quality would be if I compare an expensive mouse with a cheap one. So I ordered two Zalman ZM-M300. Today the mice arrived and I was really impressed of the built quality. The buttons click nicely and also the side buttons feel really good when you click them. You actually need more force to press the buttons on the M300 than you need on the Xai for example. But the side buttons especially feel much stronger and they don't wiggle at all. The scroll wheel on the M300 also seems to be better than on the Xai. Scrolling up is just as loud as scrolling down. On the Xai the scroll is really loud and feels differently like when scrolling down. I did not expect to get such good quality for that low price. I'm really impressed by the M300.

The mouse is really small actually, might be perfect for people who like the Razer Abyssus. The M300 has adjustable cpi without any need for a software. A Fireburst button which actually makes you click twice every time you click a single time. Also cpi status is somehow shown with red led's just behind the side buttons.

So my conclusion for that comparison might just be that expensive stuff out there might not always be a better quality :P

Also I could need a fairly cheap mouse for Diablo3 just in case. Very clicky game :D

I will however certainly take a look at the mice you all suggested!

Some pictures of the M300 compared to Xai:
http://www.pic-upload.de/view-14211788/SDC10811.jpg.html
http://www.pic-upload.de/view-14211804/SDC10806.jpg.html
http://www.pic-upload.de/view-14211822/SDC10808.jpg.html

Offline Arcane

durable mouse!?
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 16:17:15 »
As for having a "real" mouse does anyone here have experience with the Corsair M60? It looks really good in my opinion and seems to have a decent built quality.

Offline All The Fire

durable mouse!?
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 17:20:32 »
It is a nice mouse, very solid, good heft. The rubber top was comfortable against the palm and the textured sides were great for grip when lifting and fingertipping. But I found it a little tall personally, and I felt the 'sniper' button was too far forward, probably not the most ideal mouse to claw.

I had one very early and they were having a lot of issues with the drivers, mine ended up bricking itself when I figured out how to set macros so I only got about 4 hours use out of it. Unsure of how far they've come with the drivers.

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
durable mouse!?
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 06:45:54 »
My good old Logitech ball mice seem to last forever. The suffer earlier from yellowing and getting shiny than having any technical problems. The one I'm using in the office is more than 10 years old!

SGI Granite mouse made by Logitech with SP colorsample.
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline Arcane

durable mouse!?
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 09:37:01 »
thanks but I'm not looking for these kind of mice you know... :D

Also regarding build quality I think the more features a mouse offers the bigger gets the risk of having technical issues. For example if you buy a mouse that has a 4-way scrollwheel it might just become loose/noisy after some time. I guess if you want something really durable you just have to lower your expectations and get something that is just kept as simple as possible. You don't want a fancy looking mouse with several lights on it but you want a simple tool actually that just works for a long time. I guess that's why these older mice seem to last forever because they are kept simple but effective.

Regarding the M60 I also found some reviews that actually say that the only really negative point about this mouse is the software. I looked on the corsair website today and the latest driver for the mouse is still a beta version...

But don't you think it's possible to just install that driver software sandboxed, then do your adjustments to the profile and store it onto the decive?? So you could just get rid of the software but having your mouse set up like you want it...

Offline postlapsaetia

durable mouse!?
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 10:23:31 »
For palm grip optical, I'd recommend the G400, or the new Zowie EC1 Evo.

Offline All The Fire

durable mouse!?
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 19 May 2012, 01:39:31 »
Quote from: Arcane;595292
Regarding the M60 I also found some reviews that actually say that the only really negative point about this mouse is the software. I looked on the corsair website today and the latest driver for the mouse is still a beta version...

But don't you think it's possible to just install that driver software sandboxed, then do your adjustments to the profile and store it onto the decive?? So you could just get rid of the software but having your mouse set up like you want it...
It's been a long time since I had mine and they're still on the beta version? Not a good sign.

Where my M60 failed was uploading the profile to the mouse. I set all my macros then upon saving my profile to the mouse the mouse bricked, PC unrecognised it and it failed to recognise on 4 different computers afterwards.

Offline Demofly

durable mouse!?
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 19 May 2012, 04:20:25 »
G400 or G9x

/Thread.

On a side note, why don't gaming mice come in the texured plastic the WMO, IE 3.0, IMO had? It's perfect. I don't know why any mouse would have any other coating.
i5 2300 - 7870Ghz - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 21.5" Acer 1080p
HPE 87 MX Brown + Ducky PBT (purchased from Flip!) | Ducky 1087XM Xiang Min Black ALPS clones.

Offline Arcane

durable mouse!?
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 19 May 2012, 10:37:36 »
Hey there I ordered the M60 after all and it arrived today with express delivery which I can use for free for one month. Regarding the mouse so far, I don't regret anything. The mouse installed without any problems and also I didn't have any issues with the software. Everythig worked perfectly fine. I loaded my profile into the mouse and uninstalled the driver software cause I won't be needing it anyway. The mouse feels really good in my hand and the buttons don't require much force to be pressed. Build quality seems pretty decent. I think Corsair has done a fairly good job for their first attempt in creating mice. I removed all the weights in the mouse and it's really amazing.

The only downside I could find so far:

-Sniper button is hard to reach at least for me and requires to much force to be pressed. You would move the cursor when you press it. But thats fine with me cause I won't be using that button to often.
-the software says my Puretrak Talent doesn't have the best tracking quality, just average. :D