Author Topic: Griffin Powermate?  (Read 36803 times)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Griffin Powermate?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 17:20:48 »
btw what are you guys gonna use this for?
I personally only use my powermate for volume control lol.
I'm 99% sure the people who use it on the mac and invest in this thing is using it as a 3D Wheel for graphic design or something.

Page scrolling. Used it for volume control but now that i got my amp i dont need it.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Nixietube

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 13:26:56 »
i like the idea of the power mate, i am just wondering if the price is really worth it. would you guys buy it again and how much do you use it?

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 13:56:46 »
I'm really keen on one but they not available here and it's like $60 through an importer so just not worth it.

Offline kittykatmax

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 14:20:22 »
I've had my PowerMate for several years.  Sucker still looks brand new, and works as fine as something can with ancient drivers - Griffin sadly offers what I can only describe as craptastic driver support.  Mine is working in Windows 8 64-bit for the most part, but flickers erratically.  If I had epiliepsy, I'd be afraid to use it for fear of it triggering episodes (seriously). 

I tend to use it as a quickie volume up/down/mute button, but also for page scrolling in Chrome and controlling music in iTunes.  I really need to get off my buns and do more "per app" configurations because it really is a handy device.  If Griffin weren't so bad with driver updates, I'd have one at every PC.  I sent an e-mail in asking about future support for Windows on the new version, as well as any future Windows upgrades for the old version.  If they respond, I'll update.  If they add Windows support to the BT model, I'm planning to buy one.

It's really a solidly built, attractive piece of hardware that offers some nice functionality if you don't mind the price.  I would buy it again and use mine every day.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 16:24:11 »
I'm really keen on one but they not available here and it's like $60 through an importer so just not worth it.

I'm actually sorry I got rid of mine. It was extremely well made and now that they have a wireless version, I'm itching to get one. I just have to stop buying keyboards then maybe I'll get another one. :p

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 16:25:49 »
I just have to stop buying keyboards then maybe I'll get another one. :p

Like that is every going to happen :D

Offline kittykatmax

Re: Griffin Powermate? Response from Griffin!
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 17:24:14 »
Response from Griffin below.  If enough people contact them and request current driver support for the USB  Powermate, and/or Windows drivers for the new BT PowerMate, they'll apparently make it happen.   I don't think Griffin considers how many sales are lost because of the obviously ancient drivers for the USB PowerMate.  I also don't think they're taking into account how many Mac users also run Bootcamp  (Windows) on their machines.  A lot of Windows developers actually buy high end MacBooks and toss Bootcamp/Windows VMs on them as opposed to buying Windows hardware, so they are in particular a market that will likely pass on a Mac only PowerMate.   

These days I'm predominantly a Windows/Android user (Apple does a lousy job of supporting gamers with their hardware, which ultimately cost them my business), but I have a four year-old 27"iMac and a two year-old MacBook Air, and the ability for my  Mac accessories to also work in Bootcamp has always been important to me.  Speaking from personal experience, buying an accessory that becomes a paperweight when you swap over to Bootcamp is less than desirable, to the point that I, for one, will skip the purchase.

I'm tempted to start a Change.org petition or something....

=========

Thank you for the email and your interest in Griffin products.
1. The Powermate bluetooth is not currently slated to be compatible with windows based computers and will only work with those Macs that have Bluetooth 4.0 or higher.

2. There are no current plans to update the drivers for the existing powermate to be compatible with Windows 8.

On both fronts, a compatible versions for windows is possible and I will definitely pass your feedback along

Sorry I didn't have better news
Jitin

Griffin Technology
Customer Support
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 March 2014, 17:33:49 by kittykatmax »
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 22:22:43 »
I just sent an email to their customer service as well, let's put the ball in their court!
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 05:20:08 »
Necro-ing this thread but has anyone managed to get this working on win10 64bit? Have the opportunity to get one at a better price then before and I would love one but if I go to all the effort of importing it for it to not work on my PC, I will be quite bleak.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 04:29:58 »
No one using them anymore?

Offline CaplockJack

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:08:59 »
Still no Windows support for BT.

:(

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:18:44 »
The last time mine worked was on xp.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 07:00:05 »
Oh damn, that is not good news. So I shouldn't bother anymore I guess :( Can't believe how poor Griffin's driver support is. Seriously why would they not fix that and sell more of these.....

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:13:23 »
My usb Powermate works with 2x W8.1 Pro computers and 1x W7 computer.  All are x64 OS's.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:17:56 »
Necro-ing this thread but has anyone managed to get this working on win10 64bit? Have the opportunity to get one at a better price then before and I would love one but if I go to all the effort of importing it for it to not work on my PC, I will be quite bleak.

Mine works just fine on Windows 10 x64. I use it as a volume knob daily.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 12:39:32 »

Mine works just fine on Windows 10 x64. I use it as a volume knob daily.

Just using the vista drivers? If you don't mind me asking what's your systems specs?