Author Topic: Trackball recommendations  (Read 4118 times)

Offline sudowork

Trackball recommendations
« on: Fri, 09 April 2010, 13:28:37 »
I'm looking to switch to trackballs just because I've started to have increasingly strong RSI symptoms is my right wrist. Also, considering the atrocious desks they have at my school, it would just work better for me, all things considered. So I'm looking for some recommendations. I actually placed, but then cancelled an order for a Kensington Expert. The reason why I cancelled is because I use Snow Leopard on 3 of my computers, as well as Windows 7. I noticed that it seems to be updated to support Windows Vista (and I'm assuming 7 because the kernel remains basically the same). I could be mistaken though (reading old sources); I noticed that there are updated OS X and Windows drivers for the Slimblade, but I doubt that they would be able to be used with the Expert.

I've taken a look at some of the CST products, but they seem to be a little bit out of my price range considering I'm just starting to try out trackballs. Approximately how long does it take to get used to a trackball, and do you recommend a large ball, center mounted trackball, or a side-mounted trackball like the Logitech Trackman?

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 April 2010, 14:21:12 »
sudo, what kind of RSI symptoms are you having and is it specifically from using a mouse? If it's from using a mouse, what actions in particular trigger your symptoms the most?
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 April 2010, 14:26:59 »
You might want to also look at different styles of mice like the Evoluent or the MS Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000.  I use the latter and it is very comfortable.  I used to suffer from RSI-like symptoms before I started using the MS.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 April 2010, 15:24:13 »
BTW, Sudo, along the lines of ItlnStln's suggestion, you may want to look into different ways of using a mouse. For example, I generally use low profile mice with very very light buttons that are shaped for claw/fingertip style mouse users.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 April 2010, 16:34:30 »
Quote from: sudowork;170957
I'm looking to switch to trackballs just because I've started to have increasingly strong RSI symptoms is my right wrist. Also, considering the atrocious desks they have at my school, it would just work better for me, all things considered. So I'm looking for some recommendations. I actually placed, but then cancelled an order for a Kensington Expert. The reason why I cancelled is because I use Snow Leopard on 3 of my computers, as well as Windows 7. I noticed that it seems to be updated to support Windows Vista (and I'm assuming 7 because the kernel remains basically the same). I could be mistaken though (reading old sources); I noticed that there are updated OS X and Windows drivers for the Slimblade, but I doubt that they would be able to be used with the Expert.

I've taken a look at some of the CST products, but they seem to be a little bit out of my price range considering I'm just starting to try out trackballs. Approximately how long does it take to get used to a trackball, and do you recommend a large ball, center mounted trackball, or a side-mounted trackball like the Logitech Trackman?

Note that the drivers are not required to make use of the Expert Mouse (same is true of every mouse really), and there are third party tools that can be used to remap the buttons if you want. If you are prepared to spend that much money on a trackball, the KEM is the way to go.

Ripster raises a good point - that buying a cheap trackball before you splash out may be a good idea. Here is what I would grab if I was you - mad cheap, and they're a great trackball to have lying around even if you decided to move onto the KEM.

Offline fastbuck

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 April 2010, 07:55:20 »
Quote from: ch_123;171017
Note that the drivers are not required to make use of the Expert Mouse (same is true of every mouse really), and there are third party tools that can be used to remap the buttons if you want. If you are prepared to spend that much money on a trackball, the KEM is the way to go.

Ripster raises a good point - that buying a cheap trackball before you splash out may be a good idea. Here is what I would grab if I was you - mad cheap, and they're a great trackball to have lying around even if you decided to move onto the KEM.

The trackball you linked is used with your thumb. That's a very different style than Kensington and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: IBM Model M 1391401, CVT Avant Stellar, CVT Avant Prime, Dell AT101W, TypeMatrix 2020, Compaq MX 11800, Chicony KB-5181, IBM M-13, Chicony KB-5191, Wang 724,

Pointing devices: Contour Rollermouse & Pro, Microsoft Intellimouse Trackball, Kensington TurboBall Trackball, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, 3M Ergonomic Mouse, Zero tension mouse, MS Ergonomic Laser Mouse 6000, Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Wowpen Vertical mouse, Logitech Trackman Marble, Digital Research DRTRACK Trackball

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 April 2010, 08:13:16 »
Irrespective, it's probably the best cheap trackball around. From using it, you can probably determine yourself whether you prefer it, or would prefer one with a big ball and your fingers.

Offline sudowork

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 10 April 2010, 15:56:10 »
Quote from: ch_123;171017

What software would you suggest that can map the keys of the KEM?

Quote from: hyperlinked
sudo, what kind of RSI symptoms are you having and is it specifically from using a mouse? If it's from using a mouse, what actions in particular trigger your symptoms the most?

My RSI symptoms are very subtle, but they come mostly from using a mouse in general. The mouse I currently use is the Razer Lachesis, and I usually use a flat grip with it, but recently, I've been having some radiating pain from my wrist and base of my palm.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 10 April 2010, 16:01:17 »
This is the one usually recommended. But there are plenty out there, and that one may not be the best. Never have used it myself.

Offline sudowork

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 10 April 2010, 16:06:12 »
Do you know any that support OS X?

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 10 April 2010, 16:39:52 »
Quote from: sudowork;171249
Do you know any that support OS X?

It depends on what you mean by "support" OS X. If you just need standard left click, right click, and move a pointer around, they probably all work fine. I've owned a Mac for years and I've never felt compelled to buy stuff that was branded as Mac compatible unless it had some special features that you really did need drivers to tap into.
-

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 10 April 2010, 16:48:57 »
I'm pretty sure he was looking for software that could remap mouse keys under OS X. There are doubtless suitable tools out there for that purpose, but as someone who doesn't have a Mac, I have no idea what they are.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 10 April 2010, 17:22:46 »
Quote from: sudowork;171246
My RSI symptoms are very subtle, but they come mostly from using a mouse in general. The mouse I currently use is the Razer Lachesis, and I usually use a flat grip with it, but recently, I've been having some radiating pain from my wrist and base of my palm.

What are you doing with your mouse most of the time? Are you playing games, just doing a lot of Web surfing, art & design programs, video editing, etc?

Is it the clicking that's causing you pain, just general mousing, or clicking and dragging? If you can identify exactly what is causing you the most pain, it can go a long way into figuring out how to resolve your problem.

@CH... you're right. I misread a post.
-

Offline sudowork

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 11 April 2010, 03:41:01 »
I actually went out and bought myself a Logitech Trackman Marble. $30 from Office Depot - not bad. Speaking of which, the MS Natural Wireless 6000 only costs $29.99 right now at Office Depot. As far as my RSI; I've noticed a great improvement after using the Trackman; what's weird though is that I would get RSI symptoms whenever I used my mouse. Not because of a particular action. This makes me think that it has more to do with the position of my mouse relative to my body; however, the Trackman seems to bee in a similar position.

Edit: By the way, I really like everything about the trackball part of the Trackman, but I really dislike the button placement. The left-side buttons are fine (right-handed), but I can't find a good hand position to hit the right-side buttons without having to readjust my hand every time. Especially when it involves hitting those pesky mini-buttons. That's why I originally really wanted to get a KEM.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 April 2010, 04:32:06 by sudowork »