Author Topic: New CST L-TracX  (Read 24490 times)

Offline yamaha200

New CST L-TracX
« on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 14:56:41 »
So I talked to the people at Clearly Superior Technologies about their new L-TracX that I heard about from the other thread. It sounds like they should be available in a few weeks.

Just like my CST2545-5W I have now, it should be adjustable from 800 - 3200 counts per inch with the same on the fly switching as before (for those who don't know its by holding down the middle button and right clicking). From the banner on the website it looks to have four resolutions: 800, 1600, 2400, and 3200. Its the same case, so three buttons plus the scrolling wheel all in black. It's still going to be able to use their Superior-X software to customize the buttons.

They also have plans for external buttons and wrist rests.

What do you guys think?

Offline duhokay

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 01:05:57 »
Ahh interesting, so the additional buttons will be an accessory. When I spoke with Fentek they just received news of it, hopefully everything will be released at once. Definitely like the ripster edition though I am sure theirs will be a bit more subtle.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 05:39:45 »
I want to get one of these wrist rests that they've got.

Would be nice if they stocked official CST snooker balls =)

Offline smuvmoney

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 May 2010, 20:55:38 »
I want to see what the custom CST buttons will look like.  It may make me consider a CST L-TracX.

Offline timofonic

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 June 2010, 20:55:02 »
Nice one!

I was considering to get a Trackball. I did look at Kensington, but the hackability and higher dpi made me look better at CST ones.

I'll save money and get this L-TrackX, I hope the cost difference isn't much.

PS: I hope they overhaul their site (it looks extremelly early 90s and not proffesional but geocities-like, just like Unicomp site) and promote it strongly outside USA, this device has a quite strong selling point in the geek/nerd niche :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 June 2010, 21:06:09 by timofonic »

Offline BigBrother

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 June 2010, 20:56:10 »
what exactly is 3200 CPI in DPI ? :P (check the GIF in yamaha200's post)

why not just get a nice logitech gaming mouse with weights, high, changeable DPI, ergonomic design for prolonged usage ?
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 June 2010, 20:58:13 by BigBrother »

Offline timofonic

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 June 2010, 21:09:50 »
Quote from: BigBrother;189013

why not just get a nice logitech gaming mouse with weights, high, changeable DPI, ergonomic design for prolonged usage ?

• Those are mostly for right handed people, I'm left handed.
  • Where's that GIF post?
  • Weights? What's that crap?
  • Ergonomic? Those designs hurt my hand all time, I have quite big hands and never get used to those "ergonomics" crap.

Offline BigBrother

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 June 2010, 21:27:58 »
timofonic, i have sausage fingers- hot-dog-like- as well as a big hand. I find myself from time-to-time, having my fingers arched because it isn't big enough (that's what she said?) but what I find worse is track*(anything) because of how small it usually is... and how easily it can be moved vs. the just-enough resistance i get with my Logitech G5 and OCZ Behemoth Regulator Mousepad. yes, i am right-handed...

(where it says '3200 cpi')
weights are to make the mouse feel like they did when they still had balls (xD).

Offline BigBrother

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 June 2010, 22:08:08 »
I may have been a tad too quick to make that accusation, do Tackballs use a different measurement of speed ?

Offline timofonic

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 June 2010, 23:54:04 »
Please post that to the appropiate topics instead here...

DPI vs CPI: The real deal?
DPI/CPI for trackballs

Let's not mess the forum even more than is now. Too much people unordered and difficult to follow, it could be nice if making it more ordered and moderation more active ;)

(I'm in IRC now, you are welcome to chat in the #geekhack channel at irc.freenode.net)

Offline BigBrother

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 00:00:52 »
the only customer service i approve of: the one where i can get within arm's reach of someone to beat them senseless or until i can get what i came for. (that and WD's, ASUS, and a couple others that i have forgotten about).

there's only one CS that's been troublesome: Zalman. i needed a replacement piece for a case, got a promise that i would get one within a week's time and 2+ months later, still nothing.

Offline Rajagra

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 June 2010, 06:03:02 »
Quote from: BigBrother;189013

3200 CPI = 3200 DPI.

CPI=counts per inch=number of changes in detected signal state per inch of movement.

DPI=dots per inch=number of dots that can be discretely sensed per inch.

Guess what? They are the same thing. No need to get worked up over which is the right terminology, they are both accurate and meaningful.

LPI=lines per inch=number of individual lines that can be sensed per inch=half the number of DPI since you are counting black lines on white background (or vice versa.) Photography term.

PPI=[strike]points[/strike] pixels* per inch=number of image pixels that a printer can print per inch. Much lower than the printer's DPI because you need many ink dots in a dithering pattern to create desired image colours from the limited number of ink colours.

Edit> (*) Better not confuse it with points used in font design (point=1/72"), so I'll stick with pixels.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 June 2010, 06:19:45 by Rajagra »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 12:25:49 »
Quote from: BigBrother;189085
the only customer service i approve of: ... WD's, ASUS

WTF? Western Digital and ASUS in the same sentence about customer service? What have you been smoking? I've gotten ZERO satisfaction from an ASUS customer service call in 7 years trying.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 12:28:04 »
Quote from: ricercar;189574
WTF? Western Digital and ASUS in the same sentence about customer service? What have you been smoking? I've gotten ZERO satisfaction from an ASUS customer service call in 7 years trying.

I haven't tried, but friends with ASUS laptops have.

Assorted failures, this that or the other...send in on the warranty exchange, ASUS loses laptop (never fails!), customer service apologizes excessively and sends a newer model.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 13:48:34 »
At least they got the newer model. My experience ASUS = Black hole, from which not even information can escape.

Offline Rajagra

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 June 2010, 15:46:57 »
This post is recursive.

Offline smuvmoney

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 11:41:10 »
Any update on the release of the L-TracX?  It has been a few weeks since the OP.

Offline glo

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 12:19:49 »
Quote from: smuvmoney;193300
Any update on the release of the L-TracX?  It has been a few weeks since the OP.

I asked Robert Rolling from CST's sales department for news.

He says they hope for L-TracX to be ready within a week or two. He also mentioned that pre orders are already available.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 12:48:03 »
Quote from: Rajagra;189672
This post is recursive.

Recursive post is recursive. Bravo!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 13:13:37 »
I emailed CST about a fix for the Windows 7 issue and was told that they would send a new one once they fixed the issue. Maybe it will be the TrackX I'll be getting...

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 13:24:18 »
I think it's a USB controller issue. I might try using my trackball with my laptop for a week, I bet it will work fine...

Offline glo

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 13:28:52 »
ripster, you sure seem to have a picture-reply for every occasion.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 16:02:13 »
Quote from: Julle;193411
They're still working on it? No wonder I haven't received my replacement unit yet...

Yeah, but I'm convinced that this TrackX model is the new version... it seems unlikely to me that they would want/need to make the two high end models.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 16:20:40 »
I dunno. Unlike ripping off Logitech for free G5s, I'd feel bad about screwing a small company like CST.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 15 June 2010, 16:35:34 »
Quote from: Julle;193427
I don't. For a premium price I'd expect a fully functional device. Something that works whenever it feels like doing so is something you'd complain about even if the product was cheap and mass-produced. Then again I'd like to point out that I was promised the kind of device that I already have, not the L-tracX.

Oh no, I mean in relation to people who don't have the problem claiming that they do. I personally have no issue claiming a working trackball to replace the one that does not work reliably.

Offline duhokay

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 02 July 2010, 22:19:32 »
I just received the new TracX, 3200dpi is fantastic on 3x30" setup, especially now that Nvidia has finally released their surround drivers. The scroll feels a bit looser than the last one I had but that may just be in my head. As of now there has been no connectivity problems, look forward to see the accessories they will be releasing.

Offline duhokay

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 02 July 2010, 22:31:53 »
Only really use it gaming....got it from your lady at Fentek. Returned my last one that had no additional switches, been waiting for a while, happy to see it today.

Offline glo

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 05 July 2010, 09:51:24 »
Is L-TracX only available at Fentek? Do they ship it internationally?
I really want one : (

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 05 July 2010, 10:23:30 »
Have any of the proposed accessories been introduced yet?

Offline duhokay

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 05 July 2010, 17:30:58 »
None that I have seen, just put my 11 ball in, need to find something better...

Offline MsKeyboard

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 06 July 2010, 11:55:54 »
Hope everyone had a great 4th, no loss of hair or fingers this year!

According to CST, wrist rest should be available sometime this month, with the extra switches sometime in August, but they have been busy cranking out the trackballs, so times may lag some.  Will post pictures as soon as we have some product on the shelf...........Later

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 07:28:18 »
I'm particularly interested in the wrist rest. I don't suppose you have any pics or info on it?

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 10:47:24 »
You know how much money you'd save if you made your own wrist rest?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 10:54:13 »
Who knows, in the time I could be making my own wrist rest, I could be making money. Then the question arises of whether the wrist rest is cheap enough relative to the amount of money I would otherwise make...

I never liked economics.

And I never said I was going to buy one, merely that I was interested in it.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 10:55:41 »
To make a good wrist rest, just take some squishy foam packaging and cut it into the right shape.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline EverythingIBM

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 07 July 2010, 15:47:39 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;200300
To make a good wrist rest, just take some squishy foam packaging and cut it into the right shape.

I prefer a gel wrist pad... packing foam would just suck. But I normally don't use any. Just for my model M because the case is so big.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline niplfsh

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 11:06:25 »
Hey guys, this thread got me to signup on this forum. I'm looking to replace my aging MX518 and I'm thinking of switching to a trackball.  My main question is, does 1600 CPI on the L-trac "feel" like 1600 CPI on a mouse?  In other words, can you whip the pointer across the screen with the same tiny motion? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I'm truly a noob when it comes to trackballs.  

I ask because I run a dual-screen setup at 4096x1152, so I don't want to be struggling with movement. I run my MX518 at full speed and it does pretty well.  I game some, mainly turn-based strategy games with the occasional shooter (TF2 mostly).  

The mod-ability of the L-trac really appeals to me, but I want to be as sure as possible that it will work for me.

Is the 3200CPI on the LtracX worth it? I have a feeling that might be too fast.
"No, Mr. Gold Bond, I expect you to dry."

Offline niplfsh

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 11:53:16 »
Eh... it's a bit more than $10 difference.  Buy.com has the original for $108 with free shipping.
"No, Mr. Gold Bond, I expect you to dry."

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 12:11:16 »
I usually run mine between 400-800 DPI on my 1600x1200 screen. I'd say 1,600 would cover even the largest screen.

Trackballs and FPS games are an odd mix, and YMMV big time. RTS games are obviously not an problem because they don't require the same frantic mousing.

Offline Rajagra

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 13:01:26 »
My Logitech Marble seems to run at 800 DPI when I adjust the speed to be smooth and pixel-accurate. It's OK for dual 1920x1200 screens. I do have to flick the ball to go between screens, so I'd like something better like the L-Trac. I don't think I need better DPI, but the larger ball alone would avoid the need to flick. The L-Trac covers it on both fronts.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 14:01:26 »
Quote from: ripster;189070
Wikipedia Mouse entry

Too bad Kensington does not publish their DPI/CPI numbers.

Somebody ask Kensington their specs.   They are such a customer oriented company they may ship MouseWorks for Win7 THREE AND A HALF YEARS AFTER VISTA WAS INTRODUCED!

As you can tell I'm not a big fan of Kensington's customer service.

I think someone came up with a figure of 800DPI from somewhere or other. Not sure where though...

Offline MsKeyboard

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 14:53:30 »
Quote from: ripster;200745
Fentek has this image up for the new 3200Dpi version.

What's up with the extra port?  And why on the left side?

Show Image

That is not the L-tracX, but the switch adaptable model.  The ports are on the side because they are typically used for adaptive products or switches mounted to things like chairs, beds, wheel chairs, head rests, etc...  When you plug a switch into one of those ports it disables the primary button on the mouse and functions off of the new switch, where ever that may be mounted.

Clear as mud, huh?

The L-tracX is the one in the middle, but with higher resolutions.

Hope that helps......Later

Offline MsKeyboard

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 08 July 2010, 17:00:51 »
Mouse L-TracX programmable 2 jack scroll USB black, kind of difficult with over 550 products :)

Offline glo

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 10:42:26 »
Trying to get used to the L-TracX I received today. I must admit it's the first time I try a track ball and I still can't figure out which way of holding it works best.
How do you guys handle it? Use thumb to click any button? Use the palm or the fingers to move the ball?
Will gladly hear your habits.

Offline Morning Song

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 10:53:24 »
I don't have that specific trackball, but i use my trackball, usually with my index, middle and ring fingers on the ball, the thumb and pinky on two of the buttons. but for "wide" rolls, i use my whole hand on the ball.
Clicky keyboards and big trackballs forever!

Keyboards:
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M 1391401, Unicomp Customizer 104, PS/2 modded IBM Model F Terminal 6110668 (current favorite)
Cherry: Filco Majestouch 105 Blue NKRO w/ doubleshots
ALPS: Dell AT101W Black SNAFU (Silent No-longer; All Fukka\'d Up), Siig Minitouch KB1948 Geek Hack Spacesaver edition, Focus FK-2001 w/ WinKeys+XM Alps
Rubber Dome: Belkin F8E887-BLK, Silitek SK-6000, Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard

Works in Progress:
Prism ATX N9 Keyboard w/ Fukkas (Clickleaf Donor), Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2/02 Brown NKRO, Cherry G81-7000HPCUS-2/02 (Doubleshot donors), Unicomp Customizer 101 (Springs donor, needs boltmod)

Pointing Devices:
Kensington Expert Mouse 7, Wacom Intuos3 6x8 w/ classic pen

Looking to buy/trade for:Dolch Cherry keycaps, Northgate Omnikey (With Fkeys on top, or both top & left), IBM Model F AT

Offline ironman31

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 11:22:09 »
I have that trackball. I use my thumb to click the left button in the lower left corner, while my index, middle, and sometime my ring finger, move the ball. The ring finger is used for the right button in the upper right corner
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 15:25:12 »
I usually move my hand forward to use the middle button and scroller. That's my main gripe about the design compared with the KEM - you can't comfortable use all the features of the trackball from the one hand position.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 16:45:49 »
For scrolling I never even use a middle button or scroll wheel. I just use the arrow keys, Home/End, and PgUp/PgDn. It's a lot faster that way once you get used to it. And it's easy when you don't have a wheel mouse.

Offline chongyixiong

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 05:26:59 »
So where are the wrist rests and extra switches?

Anyway I'm planning to get myself a trackball and I really like the Darth Vader of all trackballs.

Only feasible difference between the newer L-TracX and the older L-Trac would be that it is adjustable to 2400/3200dpi?

I also read from another thread that CST were sending out newer PCBs to older models?

So if I am guessing this correctly, if I bought the L-Trac Trackball w/2 extra jacks, 400 to 1600 CPI - Black   MLTRACP2JSUB @ US$155, it's essentially the same as the other one, but without the higher CPI?

Offline MsKeyboard

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 11:49:08 »
I haven't checked on the extra's for the L-Trac products lately, will fire off an email and see what is happening with them, but I know that they were hoping to start releasing the wrist rest this month and the switches in the next month or so, will let you know what I find out.

Also, the only difference between the X and the older model is DPI, nothing else functional.  Also, you should not have to worry about an older PCB unless you gather one off of ebay or something...........Later

Offline instantkamera

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 12:04:20 »
I super want one of these to replace the fairly ****ty logitech wired trackman im using. Nothing from Kensington has me even remotely interested, but this ...
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline glo

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 06:23:29 »
It's been a month now that I use the L-TracX daily. I'm starting to think trackballs aren't for me really.
Firstly, I'm not as fast as I used to be using a regular mouse. Practice improved my accuracy but I'm probably still at half my speed.
Secondly, My palm gets tired when using it. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not holding it well, clearly though, my finger joints near the palm are hurt after about 30 minutes of use.
It could actually be a matter of preference. Trackballs are probably not suited for everyone.
It's really a shame though : ( it does look darn cool with the number Three pool ball peeking from beneath the hole.

Offline spearson

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 15:08:07 »
ohman ohman ohman must have now BOOM ORDERED

Offline Arc'xer

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 15:34:10 »
Quote from: chongyixiong;210842
Only feasible difference between the newer L-TracX and the older L-Trac would be that it is adjustable to 2400/3200dpi?

Most likely a different engine because if the previous engine was just the same with more DPI on then they would have sold it with the higher amount.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 04 September 2010, 03:59:53 »
Sure, it isn't NIB, but I got my mitts on MTO and I was sad to discover I prefer the logitech in my sig to it.  I think the MTO is better ergonomically, but it is too slow on a high resolution screen for my taste.  This is why I look forward to being a happy CST owner, some day.  It's being ambidextrous already puts it ahead of MTO & the logitech Optical Cordless Trackman, as far as I'm concerned.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 04 September 2010, 10:34:48 »
Where are all those accessories that were mentioned a while back?

Offline spearson

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 17:22:20 »
Had it for a few days.  Initial thoughts:
- Way, way more accurate and precise than a mouse.  Absolutely no contest.  This is the most accurate pointing device I have ever used.
- However, I can't figure out how to keep the mouse cursor stationary while clicking.  If I need to be able to left- and right-click a lot and often, I can't find a hand position that will allow me to do this consistently without moving the mouse cursor a little.  Any tips/advice on how to hold the trackball so that I can easily click without moving the mouse cursor?

Unfortunately, the problem in point #2 is a deal-breaker for me if there's no solution.  I need to be able to point and click easily, and the additional accuracy provided by the L-TracX does not outweigh the disadvantage of not being able to keep the cursor steady while left or right-clicking.

Offline Arc'xer

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 17:43:49 »
You might want to hold the ball with the index, middle, and ring. While the pinkie and thumb operate the R/L click if your using them.

Think of it like a relaxed grip like holding a mouse except instead of fitting like a glove you rest it.

Offline Rajagra

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 16:05:50 »
Quote from: spearson;222526
- However, I can't figure out how to keep the mouse cursor stationary while clicking.  If I need to be able to left- and right-click a lot and often, I can't find a hand position that will allow me to do this consistently without moving the mouse cursor a little.  Any tips/advice on how to hold the trackball so that I can easily click without moving the mouse cursor?

What is stopping you from letting go of the ball while you click? I don't have one (yet) so might be missing something. One of the joys of a trackball is the ability to do this for guaranteed clicking without movement, so it would be a shame if something about the design makes it uncomfortable or difficult.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 18:11:56 »
Maybe spearson is unable or unwilling to lift the fingers, touching the ball, off of the ball, while clicking.  It is harder to leave trackball touching fingers completely still, but still possible.  Not moving ring finger, while using pinky, being the hardest.  However, pushing the third button without touching the trackball, does look a little harder on the CST.
I don't have the CST, but I realized that I lift my fingers, when I click using my trackball.  I agree with the suggestion to stop claw gripping that puppy.  Lifting one's fingers up or palm off, etc. should help, even with the scroll wheel/third button.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline ironman31

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 18:49:05 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;222529
You might want to hold the ball with the index, middle, and ring. While the pinkie and thumb operate the R/L click if your using them.

Think of it like a relaxed grip like holding a mouse except instead of fitting like a glove you rest it.

I use a similar method with the cst. I use my index and middel finger to move the ball, while my thumb is used for the left mouse button (on the bottom of the button) and my ring finger for the right mouse button (at the top of the button.

To click without moving the ball, you have to practice and get used to slightly lifting your finger off the ball when you click. Once you get good at it you won't notice you even do it.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Arc'xer

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 05:19:32 »
Anyone done any extensive/serious gaming with this particular trackball? I guess in particular FPS but any game would be interesting to hear.

I've mentioned a few times a consideration but was disappointed albeit my fault for getting such a low level trackball like the orbit. Even those threads had people saying there's a night and day difference between the upper range.(I would have gotten the logitech marble but the store didn't stock it). Still this trackball is the one that I found the most interesting at least being more modern.

I know trackball's have lost their appeal for this area, especially in development of newer engines for them. I'm not sure why I keep wanting to use a trackball most would probably say stick with a mice it's fine, guess I always found the concept of a trackball intriguing.

If I had to ask some questions on it, they would be.

1. If you spin it hard does it skip or crash temporarily before returning to normal as in say using low sens? cm/360 or are trackball's just for high sensitivity twitch aim a few inches or millimeter /360. I'd guess instead of cm/inch/360 it be rotations/360.

2. I guess considering it's still a trackball does it have that acceleration capability, a few have mentioned the speed mode were it goes fast at a certain speed and slows down on others, precision/speed modes I guess what they are called. Can't seem to remember the thread someone went into a bit of detail on that acceleration feature. Or is the DPI covering the need for it to not need some in-built acceleration.

3. It's been debated but is the concept of gaming trackball flawed?
Sure it can be a personal thing but is it simply a concept of trackball equals no for gaming period or a technological trackball equals not capable trading blows with the mouse because it's held back from being a fair fight.

It's just if we consider a trackball simply a mouse that is upside down and you control the surface, then what is that difference that makes moving a mouse over a surface just so much more desiring. Is it simply a control factor or speed factor of moving the arm rather than the fingers or some sort of simplicity to it.

I probably sound like a broken record already asking a few times already. Made a thread and a few posts on this already.

It just seems like an interesting discussion. I mean hell I seen videos of people use touchpad and wacoms for gaming, seems like other people are in a similar mindset of wanting something different.

Offline spearson

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 17:06:19 »
Thanks for the replies all.  I'll keep at it; so far I'm probably 65% of my FPS skill compared to mouse, but in SC2 it's maaybe 35%.  There's just so much more clicking in SC2, and more importantly, clicking and dragging.

Offline BLT10099

UK Sellers
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 07:47:53 »
Is this trackball available in the UK?

I've been checking everywhere I can online and I've found nothing about it

Cheers

Offline BLT10099

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 07:55:47 »
I use a logitec marble mouse for playing games with.  Currently concentrating on Starcraft 2.

The main reason I bought it was because I have carpal tunnel in both hands.

It was a little annoying to start off with, but I'm now just as fast and accurate as I ever was with a mouse.  I can do some good micro (fiddly stuff) in SC2, better than most players from what I've seen.  I also didn't have any issues when playing Counter Strike: Source - there's not a lot of difference between mouse and trackball.

I have two complaints with the marble mouse is lack of good mouse settings.  I know how I would like it to feel when I move it across the screen but I can not alter the settings to do this.
The second thing is that the ball is too high up complared to the buttons in my oppinion.  This slows me down when clicking _slightly_.
The l-trac trackball doesn't look like it has the same second problem, but it is difficult to tell from looking at pictures.

I just wish there was a place I could test it out before I bought it in the UK...

My advice, try out the marble mouse for a bit before you buy an L-trac.  It is a fraction of the price and it should give you a good idea what they're caipable of.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 October 2010, 07:59:27 by BLT10099 »

Offline Rajagra

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 16:52:44 »
Quote from: BLT10099;238341
I just wish there was a place I could test it out before I bought it in the UK...

You can test the physical design by getting a Microspeed trackball.

For example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290491612351

But be warned the older models will move the mouse cursor quite slowly.

Offline Scars Unseen

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 10:57:51 »
Hello everyone.  First post for me.

I just ordered my L-TracX from Fentek (oddly, the only website in the world that seems to be selling these).  My old Cordless Trackman is starting to die on me (loses connection often and the scroll wheel only works about half the time), so I thought that I'd give myself a nice upgrade as a birthday present.  I'm also going to be happy to have a corded trackball again.  Cutting the cord was great back when I was computing from my bed with a projector for a monitor, but I went and got married, so now it's just a nuisance having to replace batteries all the time.

Looking forward to unboxing this beauty!

Offline instantkamera

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 12:36:53 »
man, I want. I'm like a ball hair away from pulling the trigger. Waiting for a cheap kensington orbit to come in today to fill the gap for now.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline timofonic

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 12:00:52 »
Hello to everyone.

I want to get a L-TracX ASAP.

Any distributor from Europe already having it to buy?

Offline sadbox

• life coaching since 1990
    • sadbox dot org
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 22:16:27 »
I think I'll be picking one of these up to complement the tenkeyless filco I bought after I started lurking last month =)
Work: Topre Realforce + CST L-Trac
Home: QFR (Blues, Blank Black PBT caps) + CST L-Trac-X

Offline Scars Unseen

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 08:11:33 »
OK, so I just got mine today, and it's all hooked up and ready to go.  First impressions:

First of all, the cord is short.  If your tower isn't right beside your workspace you're going to need a hub.  Due to circumstances beyond my control, my tower is on the side of my desk opposite from where my trackball sits.  Hub it is, then.

Second, I love the dimensions of the thing.  It doesn't require the "eagle claw" grip that I had to use with my old Trackman.  The primary buttons are large enough to accommodate hands of all sizes, as they extend from below the ball to above it.  The middle button takes a bit more effort to activate, but that suits me fine.  I just mapped it to the Browser Back function because I'm too lazy to click at the top of the screen.

The scroll wheel was catching a bit when I first started using it, but it seems that step number one to fixing problems with this trackball is "spin it real fast and see if that helps."  In this case it did.  I love that the scroll wheel doesn't click, and I wonder how I ever put up with it on my old Logitech.  

So far the ball has a lot of friction in the movement.  I'm hoping that this goes away with use.  As it stands, it is very hard to move the cursor in a straight line.  It has a natural tendency to curve.

Anyway, that's all I've got for now.  Aside from the friction, I'm loving this trackball so far.

Quick edit:  After rereading Ripster's L-Trac review, I switched the DPI to maximum and then messed with the tracking speed in the control panel until it felt right.  Much easier to keep the cursor going in the direction I want now, although it still fights me a bit.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 November 2010, 08:21:34 by Scars Unseen »

Offline sadbox

• sadbox dot org
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 10:46:39 »
Where I work I have to bring my keyboard, mouse, and laptop home with me on a daily basis so i was wondering if it's possible to somehow change the default CPI of this trackball using their software or something.

Offline sadbox

• sadbox dot org
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 18 November 2010, 21:12:43 »
Wooo! My LTRACX will be arriving tomorrow!!!

Offline sadbox

• sadbox dot org
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 19 November 2010, 17:20:35 »
Now that it's loosed up a little and I'm actually  getting used to a trackball all I can say is that I didn't know what I was missing!!  Not to mention it looks much better than a razer mouse sitting next to my filco.

Next up: I need to find me a red snooker ball.