Author Topic: New CST L-TracX  (Read 24526 times)

Offline instantkamera

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 10 August 2010, 12:04:20 »
I super want one of these to replace the fairly ****ty logitech wired trackman im using. Nothing from Kensington has me even remotely interested, but this ...
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline glo

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 06:23:29 »
It's been a month now that I use the L-TracX daily. I'm starting to think trackballs aren't for me really.
Firstly, I'm not as fast as I used to be using a regular mouse. Practice improved my accuracy but I'm probably still at half my speed.
Secondly, My palm gets tired when using it. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not holding it well, clearly though, my finger joints near the palm are hurt after about 30 minutes of use.
It could actually be a matter of preference. Trackballs are probably not suited for everyone.
It's really a shame though : ( it does look darn cool with the number Three pool ball peeking from beneath the hole.

Offline spearson

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 15:08:07 »
ohman ohman ohman must have now BOOM ORDERED

Offline Arc'xer

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 03 September 2010, 15:34:10 »
Quote from: chongyixiong;210842
Only feasible difference between the newer L-TracX and the older L-Trac would be that it is adjustable to 2400/3200dpi?

Most likely a different engine because if the previous engine was just the same with more DPI on then they would have sold it with the higher amount.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 04 September 2010, 03:59:53 »
Sure, it isn't NIB, but I got my mitts on MTO and I was sad to discover I prefer the logitech in my sig to it.  I think the MTO is better ergonomically, but it is too slow on a high resolution screen for my taste.  This is why I look forward to being a happy CST owner, some day.  It's being ambidextrous already puts it ahead of MTO & the logitech Optical Cordless Trackman, as far as I'm concerned.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 04 September 2010, 10:34:48 »
Where are all those accessories that were mentioned a while back?

Offline spearson

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 17:22:20 »
Had it for a few days.  Initial thoughts:
- Way, way more accurate and precise than a mouse.  Absolutely no contest.  This is the most accurate pointing device I have ever used.
- However, I can't figure out how to keep the mouse cursor stationary while clicking.  If I need to be able to left- and right-click a lot and often, I can't find a hand position that will allow me to do this consistently without moving the mouse cursor a little.  Any tips/advice on how to hold the trackball so that I can easily click without moving the mouse cursor?

Unfortunately, the problem in point #2 is a deal-breaker for me if there's no solution.  I need to be able to point and click easily, and the additional accuracy provided by the L-TracX does not outweigh the disadvantage of not being able to keep the cursor steady while left or right-clicking.

Offline Arc'xer

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 17:43:49 »
You might want to hold the ball with the index, middle, and ring. While the pinkie and thumb operate the R/L click if your using them.

Think of it like a relaxed grip like holding a mouse except instead of fitting like a glove you rest it.

Offline Rajagra

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 16:05:50 »
Quote from: spearson;222526
- However, I can't figure out how to keep the mouse cursor stationary while clicking.  If I need to be able to left- and right-click a lot and often, I can't find a hand position that will allow me to do this consistently without moving the mouse cursor a little.  Any tips/advice on how to hold the trackball so that I can easily click without moving the mouse cursor?

What is stopping you from letting go of the ball while you click? I don't have one (yet) so might be missing something. One of the joys of a trackball is the ability to do this for guaranteed clicking without movement, so it would be a shame if something about the design makes it uncomfortable or difficult.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 18:11:56 »
Maybe spearson is unable or unwilling to lift the fingers, touching the ball, off of the ball, while clicking.  It is harder to leave trackball touching fingers completely still, but still possible.  Not moving ring finger, while using pinky, being the hardest.  However, pushing the third button without touching the trackball, does look a little harder on the CST.
I don't have the CST, but I realized that I lift my fingers, when I click using my trackball.  I agree with the suggestion to stop claw gripping that puppy.  Lifting one's fingers up or palm off, etc. should help, even with the scroll wheel/third button.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline ironman31

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 18:49:05 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;222529
You might want to hold the ball with the index, middle, and ring. While the pinkie and thumb operate the R/L click if your using them.

Think of it like a relaxed grip like holding a mouse except instead of fitting like a glove you rest it.

I use a similar method with the cst. I use my index and middel finger to move the ball, while my thumb is used for the left mouse button (on the bottom of the button) and my ring finger for the right mouse button (at the top of the button.

To click without moving the ball, you have to practice and get used to slightly lifting your finger off the ball when you click. Once you get good at it you won't notice you even do it.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Arc'xer

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 05:19:32 »
Anyone done any extensive/serious gaming with this particular trackball? I guess in particular FPS but any game would be interesting to hear.

I've mentioned a few times a consideration but was disappointed albeit my fault for getting such a low level trackball like the orbit. Even those threads had people saying there's a night and day difference between the upper range.(I would have gotten the logitech marble but the store didn't stock it). Still this trackball is the one that I found the most interesting at least being more modern.

I know trackball's have lost their appeal for this area, especially in development of newer engines for them. I'm not sure why I keep wanting to use a trackball most would probably say stick with a mice it's fine, guess I always found the concept of a trackball intriguing.

If I had to ask some questions on it, they would be.

1. If you spin it hard does it skip or crash temporarily before returning to normal as in say using low sens? cm/360 or are trackball's just for high sensitivity twitch aim a few inches or millimeter /360. I'd guess instead of cm/inch/360 it be rotations/360.

2. I guess considering it's still a trackball does it have that acceleration capability, a few have mentioned the speed mode were it goes fast at a certain speed and slows down on others, precision/speed modes I guess what they are called. Can't seem to remember the thread someone went into a bit of detail on that acceleration feature. Or is the DPI covering the need for it to not need some in-built acceleration.

3. It's been debated but is the concept of gaming trackball flawed?
Sure it can be a personal thing but is it simply a concept of trackball equals no for gaming period or a technological trackball equals not capable trading blows with the mouse because it's held back from being a fair fight.

It's just if we consider a trackball simply a mouse that is upside down and you control the surface, then what is that difference that makes moving a mouse over a surface just so much more desiring. Is it simply a control factor or speed factor of moving the arm rather than the fingers or some sort of simplicity to it.

I probably sound like a broken record already asking a few times already. Made a thread and a few posts on this already.

It just seems like an interesting discussion. I mean hell I seen videos of people use touchpad and wacoms for gaming, seems like other people are in a similar mindset of wanting something different.

Offline spearson

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 17:06:19 »
Thanks for the replies all.  I'll keep at it; so far I'm probably 65% of my FPS skill compared to mouse, but in SC2 it's maaybe 35%.  There's just so much more clicking in SC2, and more importantly, clicking and dragging.

Offline BLT10099

UK Sellers
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 07:47:53 »
Is this trackball available in the UK?

I've been checking everywhere I can online and I've found nothing about it

Cheers

Offline BLT10099

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 07:55:47 »
I use a logitec marble mouse for playing games with.  Currently concentrating on Starcraft 2.

The main reason I bought it was because I have carpal tunnel in both hands.

It was a little annoying to start off with, but I'm now just as fast and accurate as I ever was with a mouse.  I can do some good micro (fiddly stuff) in SC2, better than most players from what I've seen.  I also didn't have any issues when playing Counter Strike: Source - there's not a lot of difference between mouse and trackball.

I have two complaints with the marble mouse is lack of good mouse settings.  I know how I would like it to feel when I move it across the screen but I can not alter the settings to do this.
The second thing is that the ball is too high up complared to the buttons in my oppinion.  This slows me down when clicking _slightly_.
The l-trac trackball doesn't look like it has the same second problem, but it is difficult to tell from looking at pictures.

I just wish there was a place I could test it out before I bought it in the UK...

My advice, try out the marble mouse for a bit before you buy an L-trac.  It is a fraction of the price and it should give you a good idea what they're caipable of.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 October 2010, 07:59:27 by BLT10099 »

Offline Rajagra

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 16:52:44 »
Quote from: BLT10099;238341
I just wish there was a place I could test it out before I bought it in the UK...

You can test the physical design by getting a Microspeed trackball.

For example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290491612351

But be warned the older models will move the mouse cursor quite slowly.

Offline Scars Unseen

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 10:57:51 »
Hello everyone.  First post for me.

I just ordered my L-TracX from Fentek (oddly, the only website in the world that seems to be selling these).  My old Cordless Trackman is starting to die on me (loses connection often and the scroll wheel only works about half the time), so I thought that I'd give myself a nice upgrade as a birthday present.  I'm also going to be happy to have a corded trackball again.  Cutting the cord was great back when I was computing from my bed with a projector for a monitor, but I went and got married, so now it's just a nuisance having to replace batteries all the time.

Looking forward to unboxing this beauty!

Offline instantkamera

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 01 November 2010, 12:36:53 »
man, I want. I'm like a ball hair away from pulling the trigger. Waiting for a cheap kensington orbit to come in today to fill the gap for now.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline timofonic

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 12:00:52 »
Hello to everyone.

I want to get a L-TracX ASAP.

Any distributor from Europe already having it to buy?

Offline sadbox

• life coaching since 1990
    • sadbox dot org
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 22:16:27 »
I think I'll be picking one of these up to complement the tenkeyless filco I bought after I started lurking last month =)
Work: Topre Realforce + CST L-Trac
Home: QFR (Blues, Blank Black PBT caps) + CST L-Trac-X

Offline Scars Unseen

New CST L-TracX
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 08:11:33 »
OK, so I just got mine today, and it's all hooked up and ready to go.  First impressions:

First of all, the cord is short.  If your tower isn't right beside your workspace you're going to need a hub.  Due to circumstances beyond my control, my tower is on the side of my desk opposite from where my trackball sits.  Hub it is, then.

Second, I love the dimensions of the thing.  It doesn't require the "eagle claw" grip that I had to use with my old Trackman.  The primary buttons are large enough to accommodate hands of all sizes, as they extend from below the ball to above it.  The middle button takes a bit more effort to activate, but that suits me fine.  I just mapped it to the Browser Back function because I'm too lazy to click at the top of the screen.

The scroll wheel was catching a bit when I first started using it, but it seems that step number one to fixing problems with this trackball is "spin it real fast and see if that helps."  In this case it did.  I love that the scroll wheel doesn't click, and I wonder how I ever put up with it on my old Logitech.  

So far the ball has a lot of friction in the movement.  I'm hoping that this goes away with use.  As it stands, it is very hard to move the cursor in a straight line.  It has a natural tendency to curve.

Anyway, that's all I've got for now.  Aside from the friction, I'm loving this trackball so far.

Quick edit:  After rereading Ripster's L-Trac review, I switched the DPI to maximum and then messed with the tracking speed in the control panel until it felt right.  Much easier to keep the cursor going in the direction I want now, although it still fights me a bit.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 November 2010, 08:21:34 by Scars Unseen »

Offline sadbox

• sadbox dot org
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 10:46:39 »
Where I work I have to bring my keyboard, mouse, and laptop home with me on a daily basis so i was wondering if it's possible to somehow change the default CPI of this trackball using their software or something.

Offline sadbox

• sadbox dot org
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 18 November 2010, 21:12:43 »
Wooo! My LTRACX will be arriving tomorrow!!!

Offline sadbox

• sadbox dot org
New CST L-TracX
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 19 November 2010, 17:20:35 »
Now that it's loosed up a little and I'm actually  getting used to a trackball all I can say is that I didn't know what I was missing!!  Not to mention it looks much better than a razer mouse sitting next to my filco.

Next up: I need to find me a red snooker ball.