Author Topic: Potential community sale...  (Read 61442 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Potential community sale...
« on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 11:41:54 »
I have been offered $10k to sell the geekhack community.

As many of you know, I maintain a SIGNIFICANT loss in maintaining the site.  Folks will donate for a month or two and then stop.  I LOVE the community and it is a great source of pride to see how the community grew out of my seedling of an idea. 

I would RATHER sell to a community member (or a group of members).  So, I am putting this "out there".  If a group of community members can beat the offered price, I will gladly turn over the website to them.  (I will help migrate the site to a new server (hosted/owned/whatever)...and do whatever needs to be done for a successful transition.)  Otherwise, in a month or so, the site will be in the hands of a new company. 

(sorry.  I currently have three mortgages...dude to an unexpected move.  And I simply can't incur the expense any longer.)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Potential community sale...
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 11:49:59 »
:(

I understand your position iMav, and appreciate you offering this to the community. Any idea how things might change under the ownership of this other company?

This is just such a big thing to process...  :|

Offline joey

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 11:50:04 »
Any ideas what plans a company could have for this site? It makes me feel pretty uneasy about it.

Can you give some figures on the current hosting costs?
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 July 2018, 11:55:03 by joey »

Offline iMav

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 11:55:04 »
I would anticipate they want to monetize the site. So, ads for sure.  They benefit from the continuing existence of the site...so it isn't going anywhere.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 11:57:20 »
Could you disclose the monthly maintenance costs for hosting?
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 11:57:42 »
Depends on who the buyer is. If they maintain a largely hands-off approach then i'm not opposed.

im unable to offer any money in an offer but i'll see if i can get some folks together
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline iMav

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 11:57:58 »
I SO would like to transition the site to community ownership....but the reality is, I need the money. 

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 11:59:57 »
I would anticipate they want to monetize the site. So, ads for sure.  They benefit from the continuing existence of the site...so it isn't going anywhere.

I assumed monetization for sure, but any talk of influence on site operations? Will they replace the mods? Or will things operate as today, just with the addition of ads? There sounds to be a lot of uncertainty here...

Offline joey

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:01:10 »
What about setting up a patreon, and seeing how many people we can get to donate?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:01:25 »

I assumed monetization for sure, but any talk of influence on site operations? Will they replace the mods? Or will things operate as today, just with the addition of ads? There sounds to be a lot of uncertainty here...

if they replace the mods im leaving
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:02:15 »
I will be highly disappointed if it's sold.

I can understand the monthly costs, but selling it because you want money, in my eyes, is selling out.

It depends what the new ownership would change etc. Oh, and the potential buyers need to be named.

If you do want money over community, I'll help contribute to that final sum (~$1k).

Offline iMav

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:02:25 »
I pay $240/mo for the dedicated server and I pay $30/mo for the backup services.

I think the site COULD be hosted on a lesser server...so, the monthly cost could be reduced.  (and, certainly, you could automate your own backup if you wanted to.)

Whomever takes over the site, I am willing to help with the transition (obviously). 

Offline joey

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:04:07 »
I pay $240/mo for the dedicated server and I pay $30/mo for the backup services.

I think the site COULD be hosted on a lesser server...so, the monthly cost could be reduced.  (and, certainly, you could automate your own backup if you wanted to.)

Whomever takes over the site, I am willing to help with the transition (obviously).
It seems like we could probably get a sum like that using patreon or something. But it sounds like you actually just want to sell it and not run it with monthly monetary help?

Offline avid

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:04:39 »
Is there any words from what the potential buyer wants to do with the site?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:04:53 »

It seems like we could probably get a sum like that using patreon or something. But it sounds like you actually just want to sell it and not run it with monthly monetary help?

GH has been operating on a patreon like model forever, and it's clearly stopped working

Offline Dennyroxsox

• a.k.a. Lollipopsaurus
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:05:39 »
Where is the site hosted currently? On dedicated cloud hosts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline joey

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:06:26 »

GH has been operating on a patreon like model forever, and it's clearly stopped working
But *actually* using patreon might help.

Offline iMav

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:07:04 »
I am not completely closed off to continuing to run the site. I simply can't continue to incur the monthly deficit at this time.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:07:19 »

i'm not optimistic but then again 300 a month isn't that much in the grand scheme of keyboards

what would we do with the extra cash?

Offline iMav

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:08:27 »
I agree.  :(

Offline joey

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:08:48 »
I am not completely closed off to continuing to run the site. I simply can't continue to incur the monthly deficit at this time.

How about you set up a patreon account, and see what support we can get in the next month or so? (I guess it has to be you that sets it up for paypal etc)

Offline iMav

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:08:52 »
I don't disagree.

Offline kristmascane

• emilia is trash
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:12:09 »

I'm not a hosting expert, but this seems like a huge markup. I could probably host this site at work for free with nobody knowing. Can I ask how much storage space the site is using?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:13:18 »
I don't disagree.

lets try it and see what happens

gh has its problems but id much rather it stays community owned

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:14:14 »
What are the monthly costs if I may ask? I've ran a popular phpBB forum in the past and it cost me only 110 bucks a year, and that was just for the cost of the domain name and host (which also held a slew of other stuff aside from the forum). It's entirely your decision to sell and you can do whatever you like... I'm just surprised that the reason would be that it costs too much money to host this place?

No need to respond, I jus no understand dis line of thot.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:14:24 »
Holy cow.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:14:59 »
What are the monthly costs if I may ask? I've ran a popular phpBB forum in the past and it cost me only 110 bucks a year, and that was just for the cost of the domain name and host, which also held a slew of other stuff aside from the forum. It's entirely your decision to sell and you can do whatever you like... I'm just surprised that the reason would be that it costs too much money to host this place?

he said above it's about 300 a month

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:15:07 »

I can understand the monthly costs, but selling it because you want money, in my eyes, is selling out.

It depends what the new ownership would change etc. Oh, and the potential buyers need to be named.

If you do want money over community, I'll help contribute to that final sum (~$1k).

Selling something that hits you every month with a ~$400 bill when you can't afford it isn't selling out, it's just life. It's obvious this wasn't his top choice, or one it seems he wanted to make, but I think the fact that he is opening it up to the community first and not just selling it to a company off the bat is proof he is not "selling out."
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:15:52 »
It's been a good run. Kinda sad to see it go.

The new owners should definitely charge a fee to run IC's and GB's and for artisan forums to exist.

Definitely have a monthly fee for any commercial sub forums to continue to exist.

And a charge per classified posting.

$5/custom title and $5/username change

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline iMav

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:16:02 »
We have had a prominent donation link for a while now (through paypal).  The pattern is that folks set up donation...and then stop after a couple of months. It has NOT worked...

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:16:38 »
What are the monthly costs if I may ask? I've ran a popular phpBB forum in the past and it cost me only 110 bucks a year, and that was just for the cost of the domain name and host, which also held a slew of other stuff aside from the forum. It's entirely your decision to sell and you can do whatever you like... I'm just surprised that the reason would be that it costs too much money to host this place?

he said above it's about 300 a month

Huh. Thas weird.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline kristmascane

• emilia is trash
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:17:28 »

Selling something that hits you every month with a ~$400 bill when you can't afford it isn't selling out, it's just life. It's obvious this wasn't his top choice, or one it seems he wanted to make, but I think the fact that he is opening it up to the community first and not just selling it to a company off the bat is proof he is not "selling out."

Agreed, but I just don't see how it could cost that much, unless the geekhack domain name is costing the majority of it.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:17:39 »
We have had a prominent donation link for a while now (through paypal).  The pattern is that folks set up donation...and then stop after a couple of months. It has NOT worked...

we won't know if a patreon works or not if we don't try

it's a lot more visible than the donation link if we post it on reddit

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:18:23 »
I'm interested iMav, let's talk.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:19:15 »
I’d like to see Patreon actually used, and some promoting/rallying done to drum up support every so often. iMav, I think you’ve been suffering in silence because the mods don’t know the costs or any of these details, so nothing is done in a public-facing manner to help raise funds for the site. Clue us in on these costs, give us some tools to help, and we can probably make some progress. Silently adding a >>DEALS<< header only seemed to frustrate users, and none of the changes were run by the mods. I think bridging that gap would go a long way.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:20:07 »
I’d like to see Patreon actually used, and some promoting/rallying done to drum up support every so often. iMav, I think you’ve been suffering in silence because the mods don’t know the costs or any of these details, so nothing is done in a public-facing manner to help raise funds for the site. Clue us in on these costs, give us some tools to help, and we can probably make some progress. Silently adding a >>DEALS<< header only seemed to frustrate users, and none of the changes were run by the mods. I think bridging that gap would go a long way.

100% agree. Seems like a very hands off approach has let everyone down.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:20:54 »

agree

id like to see an overall more hands on and transparent approach in site ownership nomatter the outcome

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:21:10 »

Perfectly said.  :thumb:

<- My Collection (so far)

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:25:45 »

Agreed with this

Offline kristmascane

• emilia is trash
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:27:51 »
Patreon or not, this is major overpaying for hosting. You do not need a dedicated server for this forum.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:31:00 »
Patreon or not, this is major overpaying for hosting. You do not need a dedicated server for this forum.

average 750k pageviews a day

https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=stats

Offline Dennyroxsox

• a.k.a. Lollipopsaurus
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:34:49 »

Yeah, that's more or less what I'm fishing for. Where is this currently hosted? I know anyone can be an armchair admin, but I'm sure there are many members of the community that could donate time into making sure hosting and load balancing are handled well. I don't know imav's experience with those kinds of things, but transparency in that regard would be a good step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kristmascane

• emilia is trash
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:35:11 »

That's way expensive for that kind of traffic. I think rackspace has a 1 mil/day baseline at around $40/month

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:36:00 »

That's way expensive for that kind of traffic. I think rackspace has a 1 mil/day baseline at around $40/month

either way i think the money is there for a 300/mo cost

just gotta figure out how to get people to pay it

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:39:36 »

Yeah my bad, selling out is the wrong word.

The monthly costs aren't a problem, if done correctly, which they haven't. See Hoff's comment. :p

P.S. also PM'd you iMav.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:44:17 by xondat »

Offline Colourr

• no worries
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:44:10 »
I'm interested iMav, let's talk.

God Zeal please save us.

Offline Woovie

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:50:47 »
My first recommendation to significantly reduce costs is to move it off of 1&1. This site could be hosted for insanely cheaper amounts by not hosting with hand-holding hosting. If you need a system administrator, I'm sure plenty of people in this community are willing and can help. I would offer help myself for free. I operate a server in the US hosted via OVH for less than 100/mo with pretty powerful hardware, but it doesn't come with cPanel or any hosting software built in. jm2c on this situation.

Offline kristmascane

• emilia is trash
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 12:52:43 »
Here's my bottom line on this. Yes a better patreon method would work and probably help this get funded a little easier, but the real issue is that this is costing way too much. Why have people donate to something that can have it's priced reduced significantly? I'm not too sure of the reason for hosting on a dedicated server, but if it's security, you're wrong. If it's manageability, you're wrong. If it's price, you're wrong. Moving this over to a shared hosting solution can save you like 70% if not more of this monthly cost while also adding several layers of security, and probably more features. I'd gladly donate knowing that the site was costing what it should and not contributing to something financially irresponsible, personally.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 13:08:46 »
#1 Whatever your decision is, I respect it. The site is obviously generating less money than it costs to run, so you're obviously not greedy, just can't sustain the current environment.

#2 As others have mentioned, a move to different hardware could already be a huge help, maybe get us halfway and the other half via patreon or so? I'm not an expert on what hardware is required to host the million siteviews a day, but for example with Hetzner you can get 128gb ram, a solid CPU, 1-2tb SSD space on 1gbit with 50tb/month traffic (how much data is a siteview? this would be sufficient for 1.75MB at 30mil monthly views, and I think it costs like a euro or two per additional TB). This seems to me like a good start.

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 13:11:02 »
$10K for such a large and active niche community is a bargain, please be aware of it.
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used