Author Topic: [GB] 3FCT - Ep 1: GMK TA Royal Alpha 610 Inspired Set ~~~~Shipped!!!~~~~  (Read 1359028 times)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Re: [GB] 3FCT - Ep 1: GMK TA Royal Alpha 610 Inspired Set ~~~~Re-launched!~~~~
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 12:35:49 »
It's probably impossible to just straight out make everything cheaper.

Splitting the mods and including the outcast seems to have decreased the price for lots of possible combinations.
Also including the outcast set increases chances for it reaching moq.

That being said I'm kind of in the same boat.
Was on the fence about adding outcast or not but I guess easy choice now, probably good to have the full set anyway xD
I mean, the only way to make the group buy any cheaper is to get more people to join it in the first place.  I understand the desire for including support for niche keyboards as they're all gorgeous, but I'm not sure if endangering the entire group buy as a whole is worth it.  If 150 people can't get behind a kit for niche keyboard support, the number of people using that kit must already be very small.  Personally, I'd much rather have a group buy that is ultimately successful as it gets the kit into the hands of more people to show off to everyone instead of having a few vocal proponents push this small subset of keys that drives up the price of the set as a whole and reduce the potential number of people joining a group buy.

Yeah, I know I'm not really any sort of well known part of the greater keyboard community but these are my thoughts having lurked around for the most part in the past few years.

I agree with your opinion, and I did mention that a compromise has to be made, in this case it was biased towards a more universal set. Let's see how things go, hopefully we make the required numbers.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 12:37:43 »
A very modular GMK buy doesn't work, it's been tried in the past, 2-3 kits really is the limit as far as modularity goes, because the individual MOQ for each kit is 150, or if somehow lowered, 100, not lower than that. Some compromises have to be made. In the case of this buy, I can understand that not many compromises have been done to reduce keycaps, and perhaps we could have left out some keys and gone for a more standard set, but where's the fun in that?

Totally understandable. I'm a fan of green colorways and I wish there were more of them (or maybe not so I can save my money), but I'm not a fan of paying extra for all-inclusive kits that support every niche layout. Including an ISO kit is fine, as there are a fair number of ISO users, but I don't want to subsidize the niche layouts with my purchase. It's selfish and I fully acknowledge it, but I think they should have to reach their own MOQ. That's the price they pay for getting obscure layouts and should have been something considered when they got an ErgoDox or what have you.

I do want this set, but I'm hesitant to dive into the relaunch lest a successful buy sets a precedent.

It's probably impossible to just straight out make everything cheaper.

Splitting the mods and including the outcast seems to have decreased the price for lots of possible combinations.
Also including the outcast set increases chances for it reaching moq.

That being said I'm kind of in the same boat.
Was on the fence about adding outcast or not but I guess easy choice now, probably good to have the full set anyway xD
I mean, the only way to make the group buy any cheaper is to get more people to join it in the first place.  I understand the desire for including support for niche keyboards as they're all gorgeous, but I'm not sure if endangering the entire group buy as a whole is worth it.  If 150 people can't get behind a kit for niche keyboard support, the number of people using that kit must already be very small.  Personally, I'd much rather have a group buy that is ultimately successful as it gets the kit into the hands of more people to show off to everyone instead of having a few vocal proponents push this small subset of keys that drives up the price of the set as a whole and reduce the potential number of people joining a group buy.

Yeah, I know I'm not really any sort of well known part of the greater keyboard community but these are my thoughts having lurked around for the most part in the past few years.

I feel the same way.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 13:51:40 »
Just wanted to place my order for the base and green mod set.

Is there any way to get one of each spacebar pack without adding extra orders?

I mean adding a 2nd and 3rd order just for the spacebars increases the shipping cost by 7,5$ which is kinda ridiculous  :(

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 14:07:54 »

I mean adding a 2nd and 3rd order just for the spacebars increases the shipping cost by 7,5$ which is kinda ridiculous  :(

I understand, I'll forward your query to Yanbo, hopefully we can work something out. :)

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 14:14:02 »

I understand, I'll forward your query to Yanbo, hopefully we can work something out. :)

Thank you!

I'll delay my order then  :thumb:

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 03:49:19 »
Updated OP with the current orders.

As much as I hate to admit it, looks like we won't hit the required numbers. Don't know what went wrong. Even after the restructuring, I feel like the same people who were participating before, participated this time round, and those bickering earlier still stayed away. :/

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 04:12:12 »
As much as I hate to admit it, looks like we won't hit the required numbers.

What a bummer :(

Just placed my order despite of the "spacebar situation".

Maybe there is some last minute surge, but as you said it's rather unlikely :(

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 11:47:34 »

As much as I hate to admit it, looks like we won't hit the required numbers. Don't know what went wrong. Even after the restructuring, I feel like the same people who were participating before, participated this time round, and those bickering earlier still stayed away. :/

So basically the project is dead if it doesn't hit moq on massdrop?  :(

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 11:49:08 »

So basically the project is dead if it doesn't hit moq on massdrop?  :(

:(

Offline Limewirelord

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 11:56:21 »
I think a big problem is that a lot of people that were interested originally and didn't join because of the price aren't even aware that it relaunched.  Those that are interested and care already know that it relaunched, those that browse Massdrop or aren't regular posters on GH or /r/MK have no idea that this relaunched with a different price point.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 11:57:09 »
Yeah, I had no idea it was relaunched until someone mentioned it elsewhere.

Offline Limewirelord

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 13:02:02 »
Yeah, I had no idea it was relaunched until someone mentioned it elsewhere.
That, or all the GMK drops I've joined are doomed to fail.  RIP Miami Nights, SNES, and this.  Lime, destroyer of GMK drops.

Offline WinterIsle

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 13:43:37 »
Just personal views;
Price isn't matter much, but the sub legends bugging me a lot because the keyset became like GMK Irish set instead of the original plain looking of Royal Alpha Typewriters.
Besides, some alpha keys are pad printed, some are not. If you got to type on them u will notice they feels very different on those that are pad printed.
Pad printed surface are having more resistance to finger tips; while regular double shot just feels smoother and better to me.

If people just want to put them on for photo shooting this set is looking very awesome to be honest, but practically for daily use ....well......

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 16:07:08 »
Just personal views;
Price isn't matter much, but the sub legends bugging me a lot because the keyset became like GMK Irish set instead of the original plain looking of Royal Alpha Typewriters.
Besides, some alpha keys are pad printed, some are not. If you got to type on them u will notice they feels very different on those that are pad printed.
Pad printed surface are having more resistance to finger tips; while regular double shot just feels smoother and better to me.

If people just want to put them on for photo shooting this set is looking very awesome to be honest, but practically for daily use ....well......

+1
loved the original direction that this was going - simple, elegant, GMK, green. totally missed the addition of all these dual legends.. seems like a bit of a stretch. in trying to do too many things with this set, it just became something else. all this said, i still signed up for the complete set, though.

MOZ, hope this doesn't deter you from moving forward with the other two sets!

Offline monksoffunk

• 25keys
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 01:46:51 »
Granite, Pulse, 1976, Nantucket and this set.
Too many sets run recently.
Anyway I joined ;D

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 02:38:40 »
The concern raised over the dual legends is interesting, what is more deterring the pad-printing or the sub-legends?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 10:38:16 »
Sub legends. Imho, it's just too much going on

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 11:01:01 »
Does it make it any cheaper to remove the pad printed sub legends?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 11:07:28 »
Does it make it any cheaper to remove the pad printed sub legends?

Not much, pad-printing doesn't add a lot, off the top of my head, I think about $5-6 per set.

Offline Acerk

• I pay attention to details!
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 11:19:13 »
The concern raised over the dual legends is interesting, what is more deterring the pad-printing or the sub-legends?
I doubt the sub-legends or pad-printing played a big part in the low interest so far. It was one of the things that separated this set from all the other two-tone sets. There's always the same people whining that they're not getting some obscure personal preference satisfied, and they want to let the whole world know how morally outraged they are about it. You are better off listening to your own gut than trying to satisfy everyone.

I'm curious what other people think of this. I think the original Triumph Adler group buy showed how it should be done (and also what should be improved). That is:

• Keeping the price low is essential for wide interest
  • Make sure the base set will cover what 80-90% of people need - if you aim higher, you lose the lower end spenders (most people)

I also suspect that the colors might be a factor. The illustrations for this group buy are more thorough (good job!) than in the original Triumph Adler group buy, so no one is under the impression that it's going to have a faded/retro look. I may be wrong, but it looks to me like sets with more subdued colors (Dolch, Classic Beige, Hyperfuse etc) have wide interest. There are already so many "two-tone" sets on the market; white(ish) + some color. I personally got excited over the illustrations where the alphas looked grey.

I often find that I have little company in my preferences, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

MOZ, will you do any of the planned Triumph Adler group buys outside of Massdrop?
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 March 2016, 13:19:19 by Acerk »

Offline kurtle107

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 11:31:30 »
are they got the same problem like  Triumph Adler

Offline priyadi

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 11:54:19 »
Somehow I feel doing the group buy with Massdrop is the problem. Europeans are not overly fond of Massdrop (doesn't matter if the argument has merit or not, the fact remains). Add the fact that the sublegends are only usable to Europeans. Many others also feel the sublegends are unnecessary clutter.

Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.
Member of the flat keyboard society.
Keycap manifesto: "Key sets without vendor neutral Super key are worthless"

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 14:20:25 »
Can't believe soo many people are voicing negative opinions towards the sublegends.

To me the sublegends are a major feature of the set that makes this very unique and attractive in terms of aesthetics.

And sublegends are pretty much all about aesthetics even tho I'm an us int user.
I don't really think the argument they are only attractive to Europeans hold up if you look at how many people enjoy the looks ru subs f.e.

Of course to each his own opinion, just wanted to voice mine.

Sublegends <3

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 14:28:15 »
I too love the look of sublegends. Looks like we will have to stick to PBT for them :(

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 14:37:56 »

I too love the look of sublegends. Looks like we will have to stick to PBT for them :(

Refuse to give up hope yet MOZ.
But we might brah true...

I would feel terrible seeing your gb fail, especially as this is a really unique and outstanding GMK gb.

Tbh it feels to me like people are making up excuses to what would have made this go more smoothly.
I don't think it's that easy but imo it's definitely not something wrong with the set but rather gmk buys not working out on md as well recently for whatever reason.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 15:04:00 »
Can't believe soo many people are voicing negative opinions towards the sublegends.

To me the sublegends are a major feature of the set that makes this very unique and attractive in terms of aesthetics.

And sublegends are pretty much all about aesthetics even tho I'm an us int user.
I don't really think the argument they are only attractive to Europeans hold up if you look at how many people enjoy the looks ru subs f.e.

Sublegends <3

Same. I thought the whole point of this set WAS the sublegends.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 16:02:56 »

Sublegends <3

Just gonna throw my 2 cents in the ring. I want this set SOOOOOOOO much. Almost more than I wanted GMK Hyperfuse. The sublegends are a massive selling point for me as I love the original set. The only reason I haven't ordered is that nobody else is ordering. I would love this set, but I can't afford to have $150 tied up unless it's a sure thing. So as much as it disappoints me, I can't throw my hat into the ring with it this far out. The only qualm I had about this buy was that the set was set up with the extras (which I would have needed for the 1800 compatibility) outside of the main buy with absolutely no guarantee they would be made, so I was stuck waiting to see what happened. Now with the set reorganized, I'm more than happy purchsing the set the way I want, but nobody is in the buy anymore...Super depressing. Especially since this is a colorway I've been dreaming of for a looooooong time now.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline priyadi

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 16:07:53 »
yeah. this is the first ever US international custom keyset. shame if it won't get produced. if this really fails, please consider doing a run independently without massdrop.

Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.

Offline Limewirelord

« Reply #128 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 16:14:00 »
I wouldn't pay as much for this set without the sublegends.  This, SNES, Penumbra/Solarized, and Miami Nights (RIP) have been the only sets I've wanted in a while.

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 17:35:23 »
Like others have said, the sub legends are what attracted me to this set. Doesn't really stand out without them imo.

Will try and pump it on Reddit when I get home later as I really want this to succeed.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 18:51:19 »
I think the set is fine as is. What we need to do is generate more hype about it and get people to open their wallets so we can make this happen. It does us no good to try and change the set this late in the game. The only thing we can realistically do is try and get more people to join the buy.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 00:09:03 »
Not looking to change the set, just getting feedback on the slow response.

Offline redskull

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 04:52:35 »
maybe its the general financial state of everyone on top of the many non-keyboard stuff thats coming out on sales. even on massdrop there are so many things to buy comparing to when it started.

p/s; check your email MOZ.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 04:54:31 »
Maybe, but as the community grows, so will the choices.

Got your email, working on it.

Offline sambarugh

• Megalixir
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 09:52:30 »
The numbers only seem to be going down now, defeat is imminent.

This is extremely upsetting as these modifiers were part of an end game layout for me...

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 12:01:43 »
I would love this set, but I can't afford to have $150 tied up unless it's a sure thing.

Don't you just authorize massdrop to get the money from your bank account IF the drop is succesful?

I don't think my money is tied up. If the drop happens I am very happy - if not it's like it never existed.

Offline Limewirelord

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 14:25:16 »
I would love this set, but I can't afford to have $150 tied up unless it's a sure thing.

Don't you just authorize massdrop to get the money from your bank account IF the drop is succesful?

I don't think my money is tied up. If the drop happens I am very happy - if not it's like it never existed.
Correct.  You're not charged until the drop ends and succeeds.

Offline priyadi

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 14:56:20 »
Massdrop launched Planck and Preonic today, this is probably the reason. They will be very popular and probably will only happen once a year. Custom keycaps on the other hand are once in a month event, and plenty of them will be available on secondary markets.

The numbers only seem to be going down now, defeat is imminent.

This is extremely upsetting as these modifiers were part of an end game layout for me...

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 15:15:35 »
And.... We are again below 90 orders.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 15:21:14 »
I have yet to buy in and from the looks of what I want to get I will be buying two sets of alphas, both mods and all three spacebar kits.

Just need to move funds into paypal and then I will be good to purchase.

This will be the most I have spent on a keyset since joining.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 15:24:34 »
Thanks, it's best to join ASAP, as payment is debited only if the drop is successful. Adding orders gives people confidence that we are going to make it and encourages others to participate.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 15:26:06 »
Thanks, it's best to join ASAP, as payment is debited only if the drop is successful. Adding orders gives people confidence that we are going to make it and encourages others to participate.

I will join by the end of the day  :thumb:

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 20:54:14 »
One of each mod set or two of one and one of the other.

Anyone want to chime in? I am already getting two sets of alphas due to shine reasoning.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 01:31:49 »
I joined, but don't have much hope in this dropping...

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 02:06:58 »
i don't want to complain negative remarks on this and i want to provide some constructive advice.
sublegend is charmingful and tantalizingly attracting me to this GB, .
i love to look it ,just look it not use it as nomal .since i know the feeling on sublegend, yeah ,i love this so much and looking at it.
i will buy the AE AND 3K MOD KIT without sulegend and abandon the suglegended alpha
good luck with you and hope this will make dream come true.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 02:12:40 »
Despite seeing all these people adding orders the total number is still decreasing on Massdrop :(

Is there a chance that Massdrop will still place an order and sell the extra kits later for a little markup?

Once people see the real keys on a nice board, there is not doubt there will be enough interest to sell them within 24h...

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 03:09:46 »
Despite seeing all these people adding orders the total number is still decreasing on Massdrop :(

Is there a chance that Massdrop will still place an order and sell the extra kits later for a little markup?

Once people see the real keys on a nice board, there is not doubt there will be enough interest to sell them within 24h...

I'll try and work something out and keep our fingers crossed for this one.

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 03:26:18 »

I'll try and work something out and keep our fingers crossed for this one.

Ohhh you are going to do some traditional GB? fill me in!
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 03:29:46 »

No, definitely no traditional GB at least from me. If someone else wants to do it and this fails, sure you are welcome.

I will try to get some vendor support and see what our friends from the far-east can chip in with.

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 03:32:32 »

No, definitely no traditional GB at least from me. If someone else wants to do it and this fails, sure you are welcome.

I will try to get some vendor support and see what our friends from the far-east can chip in with.

No way I won't do GB man, too much hassle  :p :p :p

Hopefully this drop is successful, I really want it to be.
I like mechanical keyboards