Author Topic: Massdrop x Geekhack  (Read 185139 times)

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: Massdrop x Geekhack
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 23:11:22 »
Any thoughts about making GeekHack a little easier to read? This 2000s-style forum gui is just kind of awful to be honest. I hope that is something Massdrop can look into.

you can theme it

https://userstyles.org/styles/102950/geekhack-2-0-white-by-frenir

Offline caligo

« Reply #201 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 23:22:30 »
Even if it's a better outcome than a data-mining company buying the forum, it's still highly problematic as it creates a huge potential for conflicts of interest. Even if MD doesn't get directly involved in moderation etc. of topics related to their products and services, there will most likely still be a change in the environment. Posts attacking MD will also be seen as indirect attacks on the GH community by some users; there will be loads of 'don't bite the hand that feeds you' posts; going with MD for GBs will be the default choice; and so on. There doesn't need to be some evil master-plan at work for this to happen, it's just the way the world goes – change the incentive structure, and people's behaviour will change.

Some of the projects discussed on GH will inevitably compete with what MD does. Some of the discussions  will concern MD's business practices, or the fallout of specific drops that didn't go so well. If I was part of an effort to design a new switch type or some other technical endeavour, I would probably not want to discuss the nitty gritty details of it on a MD-owned forum for fear of them making off with the design. And if a GH discussion on a botched MD drop starts trending on Google, does anyone honestly think MD will not get involved?

MD has invested in the site for a reason. Things will inevitably change in a way that benefits MD. Some of these changes will most likely benefit GH users, as getting stuff produced is a big part of this hobby. But assuming MD bought GH for altruistic reasons and will maintain status quo is just naïve.

Offline PhantomTaco

« Reply #202 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 23:46:27 »
Couple of thoughts from someone that has lurked for a long time:

I still don't get MassDrop's angle. The verbage is what tips me off most though:

"We're not making any immediate changes. We're not making GH an advertising platform."

"That said, GH won't remain the same forever, They key from out point of view is to support that growth"

Now no one in their right mind should expect MD to be altruistic and have done this out of their respect for the community simply because that doesn't make sense. One could make the argument that they're trying to build goodwill out of a perceived loss of goodwill they've accumulated from drops that have been bungled in the past. The reality is, though, that doesn't really pay the bills for them and their platform is doing really well in terms of overall sales numbers regardless of people's opinions.

The particular verbage that bugs me is claiming to make no immediate changes, but also saying it won't stay the same forever. I think it's pretty important for Massdrop to be forthcoming and state exactly what views they have for the future of Geekhack. I'll be the first to gladly admit I'm one of the heavily skeptical people, and a lot of my concerns were well voiced by Ryan Norbauer in his post. That being said, if Will@MD or another Massdrop representative were to be honest and tell us what they really see as the future for this site, it would do a lot to either confirm or alleviate my concerns. Personally, I think there is a monetization plan in place for acquiring GH, I just don't know what it is. It may be something like taking a percentage of sales from groupbuys run on GH or eventually folding in the entire IC/GB forums into Massdrop itself to create a more unified platform. Who knows? None of us can really comment because the reality is that Massdrop's official announcement has left everything intentionally vague. Hell, it might be as simple as "they haven't figured it out themselves yet" and that's fine, but at least communicate that out explicitly.

Offline manitoid

« Reply #203 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 00:00:50 »
Some of the projects discussed on GH will inevitably compete with what MD does. Some of the discussions  will concern MD's business practices, or the fallout of specific drops that didn't go so well. If I was part of an effort to design a new switch type or some other technical endeavour, I would probably not want to discuss the nitty gritty details of it on a MD-owned forum for fear of them making off with the design. And if a GH discussion on a botched MD drop starts trending on Google, does anyone honestly think MD will not get involved?

Regardless of what MD actually does (and regardless of if the SMF TOS would hold up in court), I think everyone should be aware that by signing up for the site, GH/MD basically owns all of your forum posts, and you have waived any legal rights you had.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #204 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 00:07:28 »
Regardless of what MD actually does (and regardless of if the SMF TOS would hold up in court), I think everyone should be aware that by signing up for the site, GH/MD basically owns all of your forum posts, and you have waived any legal rights you had.

This is wrong.

Offline manitoid

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 00:09:53 »

This is wrong.

Untested in court, but go ahead and try it.

Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries

Offline Kilgarah

« Reply #206 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 00:19:28 »

This is wrong.
Last line of the GH TOS says that they own the copyright to any forum posts.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Offline caligo

« Reply #207 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 00:25:08 »

This is wrong.

Well, not according to the TOS one agrees to when creating an account:

All messages posted on the GeekHack Forums become the copyrighted property of GeekHack.org. 

In other words, the entity that owns GH also holds the copyright to everything posted here. I'm no copyright attorney, so I have no idea if this would hold up in court. But from the looks of it, the contents of all posts here are now the property of MD. It would be awesome if someone more well versed in law than me could describe the ramifications of this. But I guess it means that something like migrating old posts to a new forum, which is something people have talked about, would not be possible

Offline manitoid

« Reply #208 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 00:26:20 »

This is wrong.
Last line of the GH TOS says that they own the copyright to any forum posts.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Interestingly, that line is missing from the terms you agree to when you actually register, so I don't know if any of those terms from that post would even legally apply if not also included in the terms you are forced to read when you register.

Even still, unless you already hold copyright to it or expressly put it in the public domain in your post, there's at least a 50/50 chance the court will rule in the site owners favor, regardless of the fact you gave up any legal rights against the owner of the forum as part of the TOS.

Unless I'm missing something this link is not referenced when signing up, and the terms displayed when you do sign up are not the same as in this post.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 00:29:53 by manitoid »

Offline caligo

« Reply #209 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 00:32:12 »
I guess a decent first step for the new overlords owners could be to
  • Provide a 'nuke' button for those wishing to delete their account and post history
  • Change the TOS so that users retain the copyright to the content they post (similat to how Reddit does it)
I think that would alleviate some of the concerns voiced.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #210 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 00:46:09 »
it's still highly problematic as it creates a huge potential for conflicts of interest. Even if MD doesn't get directly involved in moderation etc. of topics related to their products and services, there will most likely still be a change in the environment. Posts attacking MD will also be seen as indirect attacks on the GH community by some users; there will be loads of 'don't bite the hand that feeds you' posts; going with MD for GBs will be the default choice; and so on. There doesn't need to be some evil master-plan at work for this to happen, it's just the way the world goes – change the incentive structure, and people's behaviour will change.
good point. people were saying the very same thing when the possibility of Zeal acquiring the site was near certain, but with MD in the picture now the situation has become so much more delicate, yet i don't see the same posters speaking up about it.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #211 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 00:51:00 »
If I'm running a groupbuy now I'm supposed to use my competitor's forum to post and communicate my groupbuy. What an absolute boon for Massdrop to get that kind of market control. Whatever price they paid was likely a bargain.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 00:53:33 by Wetherbee »

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #212 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 01:14:07 »

An author of what ever creation holds always the Copyright for its creation automatically. This is not inventable by any rules in most western countries. The rights GH owner is holding is only for archiving the published information here not the subject (cration). But anyway this is not more a matter since new instroduced EU regulations about private data. GH must implement nuke my data function in order to meet EU regulations or the site must be made inaccessable for EU.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #213 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 01:19:09 »
If I'm running a groupbuy now I'm supposed to use my competitor's forum to post and communicate my groupbuy. What an absolute boon for Massdrop to get that kind of market control. Whatever price they paid was likely a bargain.

In the nicest way possible, are you dense? You keep repeating the same thing over and over again just in a different way.

Do you really think that MD are going to try and force people to use their site for group buys? 20 spot Korean custom builds on Massdrop from a guy nobody has ever heard of? Wouldn't get past a MD style interest check. Would they charge people for running a GB on their new non MD forum? People would just go to reddit or deskthority to run free GBs.

All these kind of buys are the essence of geekhack. MD know this and don't want to change the foundations of the forum, especially not at the start. All the best Group Buys start on geekhack and they know that.

I think this whole line of "Massdrop is going to destroy any and all group buys not on Massdrop" is utterly moronic.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline manitoid

« Reply #214 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 01:20:36 »
But anyway this is not more a matter since new instroduced EU regulations about private data. GH must implement nuke my data function in order to meet EU regulations or the site must be made inaccessable for EU.

This applies to identifying personal data only and not your general forum posts.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #215 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 01:22:36 »
I'm starting to think GH might become a better place with all the ignorant folk just leaving... it's starting to get on my nerves

Offline caligo

« Reply #216 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 01:34:30 »

An author of what ever creation holds always the Copyright for its creation automatically. This is not inventable by any rules in most western countries. The rights GH owner is holding is only for archiving the published information here not the subject (cration). But anyway this is not more a matter since new instroduced EU regulations about private data. GH must implement nuke my data function in order to meet EU regulations or the site must be made inaccessable for EU.

This is simply not true. For example, a journalist typically doesn't retain the copyright to something published by a newspaper. In general, something created under a work-for-hire contract (or whatever the equivalent is in that specific country) is the intellectual property of the company that paid for the work, not the original creator. That is how things are typically done in game development, for example – the composer does not own the copyright to the soundtrack, the 3d modeller does not own the assets used in the game, and so on.

When it comes to forum posts, I don't think there's any good precedent – at least not one that I can find doing a quick Google search. In most countries, a piece of text has to have some artistic merit to be copyrightable. People don't really post short stories and essays on GH. But what about a long discussion in its entirety? It's not entirely clear what that would count as.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 04:10:15 by caligo »

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #217 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 01:59:19 »
I think this whole line of "Massdrop is going to destroy any and all group buys not on Massdrop" is utterly moronic.

:confused: I honestly can't fathom how you don't see the conflict of interest and yet you are so passionate about it that you feel the need to call me a moron. Another day on geekhack I guess.

Massdrop doesn't have to stop any group buys, and nor would it be in their interest to do so. Market influence that comes with controlling the medium is much more valuable.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #218 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 02:58:26 »
I am seeing a trend its almost the same people saying the same insane crap over and over. I mean there been some really outspoken well put arguments against massdrop. I totally get were some people are coming from. At this point if you don't like Geekhack or Massdrop. Are any combination of the two leave. I mean its brutal its blunt but its the bottom line. Bickering calling out Massdrop etc etc. Just sounds like you want the website to explode. One of those I didn't get my way so going to break all the toys so no one has toys.

Offline manitoid

« Reply #219 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 03:08:42 »
I am seeing a trend its almost the same people saying the same insane crap over and over. I mean there been some really outspoken well put arguments against massdrop. I totally get were some people are coming from. At this point if you don't like Geekhack or Massdrop. Are any combination of the two leave. I mean its brutal its blunt but its the bottom line. Bickering calling out Massdrop etc etc. Just sounds like you want the website to explode. One of those I didn't get my way so going to break all the toys so no one has toys.

I don't know who you are calling out, but I just want to say I am not in favor of a mass migration.

I just think, if a vendor is going to own this while also claiming they are not going to change the day-to-day operation, there need to be some written safeguards in place. The existing TOS situation is a mess, this is a good opportunity to rewrite while including terms that protect the community.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 03:11:31 by manitoid »

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 03:10:23 »
Where that Nuke Button at, fam.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline portbaron

« Reply #221 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 03:11:27 »
I have no problem with this. Interested to see where it goes from here.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline rioc

« Reply #222 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 03:12:21 »

I haven't seen any well put arguments yet or points speaking against MD (but I'm also not in the mood of searching for them)... I've had nothing but good experiences with them and have been in a lot of their GBs. (Even their customer service is really good, the few times I had to use it)
Would you mind pointing me in the direction of the arguments you're speaking of?

Offline jihadu

« Reply #223 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 03:21:23 »
TBH HotRoderX has always been a super supporter of MD, going on borderline shilling at times.

IMO wait and see. Would have preferred Zeal though, but in the end it's up to iMav and I can't fault him for selling out.

A nuke option for accounts would be appreciated though.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #224 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 03:55:22 »
eh

rip private group buys

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 05:18:35 »
Insane..

@massdrop

1. Systems must be designed with data privacy requirements in mind.

2. Businesses must provide data subjects with access to their own data in an easily transferable format.

3. Data subjects can ask to have all their personal data erased, and businesses must comply.

Please have Article 17 of GDPR Available on Geekhack.org ASAP. :thumb:

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #226 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 07:07:02 »
I'm starting to think GH might become a better place with all the ignorant folk just leaving... it's starting to get on my nerves

Agreed, if this purges out the crazies then all the better.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #227 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 07:28:55 »
Everything is on your profile page other than email address, IP addresses you used to access the site and your password.

Analytics info is stored and collected by Google, not GH, you need to talk to Google for that data. Keep in mind, that data is anonymized before site owners can see it so GH would have none of your personal info.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #228 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 07:33:37 »
Everything is on your profile page other than email address, IP addresses you used to access the site and your password.

Analytics info is stored and collected by Google, not GH, you need to talk to Google for that data. Keep in mind, that data is anonymized before site owners can see it so GH would have none of your personal info.

Article 17 is the right to erasure. And while I think it is an overreaction to delete a profile right now, that really has nothing to do with being GDPR compliant.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #229 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 07:41:08 »
some would argue there’s garbage stuff about GH

Shots fired, tp.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #230 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 08:02:14 »
The biggest problem with geekhack and data privacy in general (put aside GDPR) is that people over the last decade, especially group buys and artisans, have treated data pretty sloppy. Information such as addresses and paypal info passed from person to person via full text instead of forms, links to google docs that contain private information get passed around organizers. One organizer could have passed private information to another organizer and a simple purge of account would not find that information. If you delete someone's account, profile, posts, PMs, and the replys to those PMs that doesn't mean you have been erased; ripster is a big example of this, 6 years later there is tons of posts and PMs he made that are preserved due to a quote or reply--as much as they tried to erase him.

To address another thing talked about here, the handling of private messages and mining that information. There is no guarantee they won't do it because that data is readily available to them, everyone has to live with that reality due to TOS, BUT--a big BUT--many can argue that private messages, though the property of the forum owner, are designated privileged--meaning they can't leave the owner and moderators unless there was an investigation or eDiscovery request. This happens all the time with emails sent inside a company; those times when a deemed-privileged email gets forwarded horizontally instead of vertically is a violation of privacy. If you forward an email about a complaint about Barbara to your boss and up the chain, that is fine--because they have the right to get your email anyways; but if you email chuck in accounting about that thing about Barbara you just violated her privacy. I deal with this all the time.

Honestly a priority for Massdrop is to fix these privacy issues, allow the right to be deleted, and ban the distribution of private information through fulltext post and PMs; undoubtedly, before any of the world domination everyone is freaking out about--that part comes later.

Offline avid

« Reply #231 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 08:06:46 »
Super excited to find out Massdrop bought it, especially seeing the other speculants (ad-agency?).

I believe MD is the most important vendor in the community with regards to running various keysets.
Congratulations on the purchase Will and i'm looking forward to see what the future brings.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #232 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 08:09:01 »
Just really disappointed in iMav

Very busy with studies atm.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #233 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 09:12:12 »
Whaaaaaaaat the **** has happened

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #234 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 09:34:50 »

iMav sold geekhack to Massdrop.

There; now you're caught up.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #235 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 09:35:04 »
good point. people were saying the very same thing when the possibility of Zeal acquiring the site was near certain, but with MD in the picture now the situation has become so much more delicate, yet i don't see the same posters speaking up about it.

Has it really become more delicate, though? Keep in mind I personally never saw Zeal owning the site as as much of a potential hazard and conflict of interest as others, however, safe to say MD is worth several dozens of millions of dollars whilst one could wager Zeal's business is 50 to 100 times smaller (I'm guesstimating, I might be completely off base here) - what I mean to illustrate by this is that not only does someone like Massdrop stand to gain much less from the passive influence than anyone else would (not just Zeal), but they also stand to lose much more if the community isn't happy with how things turn out.

Regarding the "going with Massdrop as a vendor will now become the norm" comment - I'd say that's unfounded because firstly MD is arguably already the go-to for successful key sets and the limiting factor that disallows people to have them as their first choice every time is that they can/are only willing to run roughly one set a month. I've spoken to Yanbo about why this is the case and I firmly believe it won't change, additionally 20-50 slot GBs that we see for customs on GH are unfit for Massdrop for obvious reasons so I see the concern about the shift in "default choice" as a complete non-issue.

Lastly, this is not to say I disagree with the power of suggestion/influence caligo brought up, that's for sure a huge reason why anyone (especially vendors) would've wanted to buy a site like GH.

Offline ejewell89

• 4ever Smol
« Reply #236 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 09:48:59 »

Hi rom.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #237 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 09:50:04 »

Hi rom.

Hi well.

Offline ejewell89

• 4ever Smol
« Reply #238 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 09:55:50 »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #239 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 10:13:18 »

My hope is makers like you decide to stay at geekhack given the circumstances, honestly you are the ones that matter here. Without people actually making ****; geekhack is just drama.

<3

Offline rioc

« Reply #240 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 10:18:28 »

My hope is makers like you decide to stay at geekhack given the circumstances, honestly you are the ones that matter here. Without people actually making ****; geekhack is just drama.

<3

yep, and having people disperse will just mean less turnover on the GBs, since the main part will still stay on gh

Offline caligo

« Reply #241 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 10:22:36 »

Has it really become more delicate, though? Keep in mind I personally never saw Zeal owning the site as as much of a potential hazard and conflict of interest as others, however, safe to say MD is worth several dozens of millions of dollars whilst one could wager Zeal's business is 50 to 100 times smaller (I'm guesstimating, I might be completely off base here) - what I mean to illustrate by this is that not only does someone like Massdrop stand to gain much less from the passive influence than anyone else would (not just Zeal), but they also stand to lose much more if the community isn't happy with how things turn out.

Regarding the "going with Massdrop as a vendor will now become the norm" comment - I'd say that's unfounded because firstly MD is arguably already the go-to for successful key sets and the limiting factor that disallows people to have them as their first choice every time is that they can/are only willing to run roughly one set a month. I've spoken to Yanbo about why this is the case and I firmly believe it won't change, additionally 20-50 slot GBs that we see for customs on GH are unfit for Massdrop for obvious reasons so I see the concern about the shift in "default choice" as a complete non-issue.

Lastly, this is not to say I disagree with the power of suggestion/influence caligo brought up, that's for sure a huge reason why anyone (especially vendors) would've wanted to buy a site like GH.

In the end, I think changes will be quite subtle. MD is indeed the de-facto norm for larger GBs – having MD be more integrated with the site will probably benefit those GH projects that are mainstream enough to be picked up by them. However, there is also a risk of smaller GBs being given less priority. If I was MD, I'd probably give select set designers and projects a push by making them more visible at the expense of smaller ventures. And I'd surely make MD drops more visible than GBs run by other vendors. Seeing as MD pushes for exclusivity and manifactured scarcity, it also makes sense to try and get as many exclusivity deals as possible, giving more push to projects that agree to such terms. This is all just basic capitalism, I really woldn't fault them for going down that route.

For the majority of users, the end result will probably be somewhat smoother GBs and not much else. I mostly worry about the small-scale stuff, which will probably be a second-class citizen in the new MD-run GH of the future. I also doubt MD will maintain a hands-off approach if a thread about some botched drop starts trending, and I highly doubt all GBs will be treated alike. If nothing else, there will always be a sense that stuff like this might be happening. And that's probably neough to change the atmosphere here.

Offline rioc

« Reply #242 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 10:27:27 »
I don't know why I got this feeling, but I think this oddly fits in here right now:
the end result being ppl leaving will end back here again

Offline dimo

Massdrop x Geekhack
« Reply #243 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 10:28:43 »
Why are we still going back and forth?

These same exact arguments from the last 8 hours from new people joining the thread is the exact same **** from 16 hours ago with a different set of people. We already have decent grounds on either side and I haven’t seen one new perspective on either argument.

It also just looks like a huge influx of r/hailcorporate members rushed to the scenes right when they heard a big company taking over a smaller one— and not reading past Will’s first sentence in his post.

Maybe wait til actual changes are made then people can actually start complaining without their tinfoil hats on?
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 10:31:05 by dimo »

Offline lemur

• personal text
« Reply #244 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 11:12:01 »
question: at what point can the GB threads be organized so that it isnt a jumbled mess? right now there is no easy way to sort through this..

i want to be able to know:

which group buys are currently open for purchasing
which group buys are closed for purchashing, but waiting for products to arrive
which group buys are closed for purchasing and products have been shipped
etc..

keyboards

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 11:30:17 »
All I know is that Massdrop better leave the forum themes alone. Wouldn't be GH if there was more than just 4 ugly choices available.

Offline avid

« Reply #246 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 11:48:33 »
One rule change i (and many others) would like to see.
-IC for keysets being ran by massdrop and others vendors are today locked in the IC section and moved to vendor subforum. This is absolutely awful since the vendor forums are basically dead and thus they get minimal exposure.
So i would like to see:
1. All IC threads are in the IC section (no matter where you intend to run it)
2. When GBs start, move the thread to the "GB" subforum instead of keeping it in the vendor subforum.

As it is today, having a vendor subforum is a disadvantage since all your IC/GB gets forced into forums no one visits.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #247 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 12:23:01 »
One rule change i (and many others) would like to see.
-IC for keysets being ran by massdrop and others vendors are today locked in the IC section and moved to vendor subforum. This is absolutely awful since the vendor forums are basically dead and thus they get minimal exposure.
So i would like to see:
1. All IC threads are in the IC section (no matter where you intend to run it)
2. When GBs start, move the thread to the "GB" subforum instead of keeping it in the vendor subforum.

As it is today, having a vendor subforum is a disadvantage since all your IC/GB gets forced into forums no one visits.

This has not been the rule for quite some time.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #248 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 21:01:22 »
eh

rip private group buys

my suspicion is that its not in massdrop's interests to kill private group buys. or at least not all of them. if they stomp them out here, they'll just go to deskthority or /r/mk or somewhere else. its not like there aren't other venues. presumably the whole reason they bought the site is because this is a community hub where a lot of the latest and greatest stuff in the mechanical keyboard "industry" starts and they want to have their fingers in those pies. if they drive that activity away, that ruins the investment. my guess is they find a way to gently direct the groupbuys that will fit best in their system upstream into massdrop, and leave the smaller ones that wouldn't "drop" where they are.
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #249 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 21:12:13 »
eh

rip private group buys

impossible to kill things like LZ-SK and MEME

friend group GBs will always happen
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90