Author Topic: Bizarre problem with Quickfire TK (brown)  (Read 4774 times)

Offline fateswarm

Bizarre problem with Quickfire TK (brown)
« on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 07:09:39 »
locked. see http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44060.msg911766#msg911766

---

It occasionally hangs only after a reboot/hibernation with only the num lock led on, while Windows 8 64 reports 'device not recognized". Even on linux it reports 'descriptor error' though I don't know if linux supports NKRO at all.

I suspect an internal hang of the keyboard since the weirdest thing of all is that it works for HOURS properly and  after a reboot/shut down only it may hang. It's like a capacitor or something still gives it power and it waits for it to run out of juice to reset.

However the same or similar might happen on the laptop since it might "de-hang" only after the laptop is on for a while - it's unclear. [I don't have a second computer here to investigate.]

I suspect NKRO mode side-effect since I've heard nasty things about it.

Now that it resurrected - again - I'm trying 6KRO mode to investigate.

I also got a USB cable to try but not yet, only if it hangs again.

I heard here that these devices might have a firmware that installs drivers. (it indeed installs NKRO or 6KRO mode each time)

It does sound the kind of complexity that COULD hand the keyboard or USB subsystem.

Is there more info on those firmwares? Are there updates?

Also the left-win key is dead here.

Any ideas are appreciated.

[I had sent a support request with its S/N.]

[It's weird that Win (8 64) does not list the device name of NKRO or 6KRO mode but only several generic keyboard or USB related devices. (but it does report that it installs them each time)]

[Also I heard here of power related issues with USB. I wondered if turning the backlit off would help. Or if it's about turning off 'allow windows to turn off this device to save power (only available on usb hub devices).]

[Wiggling the USB cable around does not disconnect it, pointing less towards a cable issue.]
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 June 2013, 12:21:06 by fateswarm »

Offline fateswarm

Re: Bizarre problem with Quickfire TK (brown)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 03:27:31 »
I'm homing in on NKRO being the culprit indeed on this laptop (Sandy Bringe with an intel HM65 chipset) since while I booted again today and the num lock was stuck on the led on state it immediately worked when it booted to windows (I had left it on 6KRO overnight).

I suspect it's an incompatibility with the chipset/USB controller/BIOS or it could still be a fault on the keyboard.

I also suspect that if I want NKRO it might be stable if I enable it during operation and disable it before shutting down (but good luck on a crash).

[PS. I'm personally not disheartened if it stays at that since I type normally on 6KRO and if I gamed, a hand is mousing]

[and this is 'real' non-blocking 6KRO anyway]
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 May 2013, 03:31:53 by fateswarm »

Offline fateswarm

Re: Bizarre problem with Quickfire TK (brown)
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 05:24:10 »
Idea #2: Since this is a lowly laptop (even if a 17'' i7), use a Powered Hub to see if it provides any change. After all it's quite a 'christmas tree' with all the switches and actual lights. *The 6KRO-only idea didn't fix it.

I doubt it's gonna make a difference but you never know.