Author Topic: Rowdy's Model M refurbishment  (Read 6389 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Rowdy's Model M refurbishment
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 03:35:06 »
The space bar stabiliser has been located and applied to the space bar, and the space bar fitted to the keyboard.

I am missing a proper numpad "-" (got one, but the "-' has smaller text aligned top left instead of larger text positioned left centre).

Haven't got a 1x "+" for teh numpad either, and not sure what to put on the extra key above the numpad Enter, although I might convert those two into one large "+" key later on.

And my other half bought me a packet of ziplock sandwich bags to store keycaps in.  Wasn't that sweet of her :) :-* :D Although I suspect it was just to stop me from taking all the bags our daughter needs for her school lunches :-[

Edit: Nuts and bolts ordered.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 February 2017, 04:01:58 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 21:26:59 »
and not sure what to put on the extra key above the numpad Enter

Quite a few pics have this blank, my Wyse board has that as a comma.
What about relengendable caps, eg for the left function keys?  Then you could assign them to macros in the teensy and legend them accordingly.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
          Wyse 85

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 04:15:11 »
Looking for a Teensy for my Model M 122 conversion.  I'll probably end up mounting it inside the case with a USB port on the back somewhere.

Anyway, which Teensy?

I can get a Teensy++ 2.0 for AUD$50.67 - https://littlebirdelectronics.com.au/collections/teensy/products/teensy-2-0

Or a Pro Micro ATmega32U4 from eBay for about AUD$5 - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Pro-Micro-ATmega32U4-5V-16MHz-Replace-ATmega328-Arduino-Pro-Mini-/140972980117?hash=item20d2a4f795:g:MTwAAOSw241YfeGn

Suggestions welcome :)

Also how do you program it?  Most Model M/F USB conversions note that a Teensy is involved, but most don't give any specifics about what and how.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Online jjanssen1

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 04:43:12 »
Looking for a Teensy for my Model M 122 conversion.  I'll probably end up mounting it inside the case with a USB port on the back somewhere.

Anyway, which Teensy?

I can get a Teensy++ 2.0 for AUD$50.67 - https://littlebirdelectronics.com.au/collections/teensy/products/teensy-2-0

Or a Pro Micro ATmega32U4 from eBay for about AUD$5 - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Pro-Micro-ATmega32U4-5V-16MHz-Replace-ATmega328-Arduino-Pro-Mini-/140972980117?hash=item20d2a4f795:g:MTwAAOSw241YfeGn

Suggestions welcome :)

Also how do you program it?  Most Model M/F USB conversions note that a Teensy is involved, but most don't give any specifics about what and how.

I have bought arduino's before from here: https://www.robotgear.com.au/Category.aspx/Category/41-Microcontrollers-and-IO-Boards

Looks like you can get an official Arduino micro for $41.95 AUD

-Joshua
WASD Mechanical Keyboard V2 TKL - MX Blues - Blue travel reduction o-rings - Doom caps #10 ESC

Online jjanssen1

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 04:47:26 »

Hasu also has some good converters available for model M's: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=27272.0 & https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard (in the projects section)

Hope this helps  :thumb:

-Joshua
WASD Mechanical Keyboard V2 TKL - MX Blues - Blue travel reduction o-rings - Doom caps #10 ESC

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 08:07:00 »
Using the Teensy 2.0 (without any of the pluses) is what Soarer's work revolved around, and with pjrc's firmware it works with no fuss.

Otherwise, people seem to like this:

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/how-to-use-a-pro-micro-as-a-cheap-controller-converter-like-soarer-s-t8448.html?hilit=using%20pro%20micro%20teensy
“People who can turn a lie into a truth have the power to shape reality; they are poets of the real. And the audience that gives them its willing suspension of disbelief is a co-conspirator in this uncanny transformation. The bond between demagogues and their audience is cemented by their exhilarating consciousness of shared culpability.
The problem with our “post-truth” politics is that a large share of the population has moved beyond true and false. They thrill precisely to the falsehood of a statement, because it shows that the speaker has the power to reshape reality in line with their own fantasies of self-righteous beleaguerment. To call them liars is naive, because it mistakes their intention; they never wanted to be believed in the first place. The same is true of demagogues.”
- Kirsch 2017

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 21:11:43 »
My 52G9658 has always felt like the nicest Model M keyboard I have used.  Having the socket driver out to disassemble the M122, I thought I'd take the back off it and see what condition it was like inside.

This keyboard is the second one at the start of this thread.

Inside was almost spotless.  There was one (1) missing rivet.  It also has a speaker!  No wonder this one feels really crisp - a benchmark for all my other Model M keyboards.

160857-0

160859-1

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 02:27:00 »
No return (beyond the point of).

160892-0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 08:56:42 »

Whoa! You left the stems in when you separated the layers.

That is messy. Taking stems in and out is a pain, but it is necessary. If you have problems with re-assembly, all the stems will have to come off and go back with each iteration.
“People who can turn a lie into a truth have the power to shape reality; they are poets of the real. And the audience that gives them its willing suspension of disbelief is a co-conspirator in this uncanny transformation. The bond between demagogues and their audience is cemented by their exhilarating consciousness of shared culpability.
The problem with our “post-truth” politics is that a large share of the population has moved beyond true and false. They thrill precisely to the falsehood of a statement, because it shows that the speaker has the power to reshape reality in line with their own fantasies of self-righteous beleaguerment. To call them liars is naive, because it mistakes their intention; they never wanted to be believed in the first place. The same is true of demagogues.”
- Kirsch 2017

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 16:26:04 »

Whoa! You left the stems in when you separated the layers.

That is messy. Taking stems in and out is a pain, but it is necessary. If you have problems with re-assembly, all the stems will have to come off and go back with each iteration.

Yes, my mistake.

I did that 'cause I was disassembling it on my lap and didn't want to risk damaging the springs.  Still need to make some sort of frame to support it while I am putting it back together.

Everything has been removed now to facilitate giving the barrel plate a bath.

I've seen a link somewhere but can't find it now - how do you remove the legs from the upper part of the case?  They have metal springs and I don't want them to rust when I give the case a bath too.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 16:57:08 »

I've seen a link somewhere but can't find it now - how do you remove the legs from the upper part of the case?  They have metal springs and I don't want them to rust when I give the case a bath too.

There are a few parts, and if you push the plastic towards the outside you can get the inside of the spring out of the groove that holds it in place and pull it out of the way. Then you can push the long plastic part out. It takes a lot of effort and you may fear that you are breaking it. Not quite as bad as opening an AT, however.

I recommend taking a few photos, the pieces are hard to get back in the right configuration. Both sets are the same, but they have to go back in mirror image right and left. The sleeves and tubes have a flat side that only goes one way.
- Kirsch 2017

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 17:08:42 »

There are a few parts, and if you push the plastic towards the outside you can get the inside of the spring out of the groove that holds it in place and pull it out of the way. Then you can push the long plastic part out. It takes a lot of effort and you may fear that you are breaking it. Not quite as bad as opening an AT, however.

I recommend taking a few photos, the pieces are hard to get back in the right configuration. Both sets are the same, but they have to go back in mirror image right and left. The sleeves and tubes have a flat side that only goes one way.

Great!

Thanks for that :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 19:08:27 »

Thanks for that

Wait - maybe the long axles with the discs on the end are different and off-center. You can only make it work one way, anyway.
- Kirsch 2017

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 19:43:17 »

Thanks for that

Wait - maybe the long axles with the discs on the end are different and off-center. You can only make it work one way, anyway.

I gave it a bit of a pinch and a bit of a push yesterday, but nothing wanted to move.  I'll inspect it more closely tonight.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:41:08 »

I gave it a bit of a pinch and a bit of a push yesterday, but nothing wanted to move.  I'll inspect it more closely tonight.

It's a force fit, you will be able to see how it works after you separate all the pieces.

I recommend putting the fingers of both hands on the outside of the case and pushing the end of the axle straight outwards (sidewards) with both thumbs. The legs have holes and the axle passes through them. If you are strong you can probably do it one-handed, but you may get better control with 2.

- Kirsch 2017

Offline invariance

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 00:53:28 »
Do you mean the key stems from the barrel plate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
          Wyse 85

Offline invariance

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 00:57:38 »
Do you mean the key stems from the barrel plate?

Ignore that, I was back a page with what I was replying to.

The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
          Wyse 85

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 04:12:16 »

Thanks for that

Legs removed with relative ease - thank you for the excellent description.

The long axles have three flat sides (two with plastic clips on them) and one rounded side.  It is that which determines which side of the keyboard they go on.  One side has the rounded edge facing the front of the keyboard, the other side the rounded side faces the rear.  And yes, once you pull them apart it is MUCH easier to see how they fit together.

Once I realised that I wasn't going to break it, I pushed with one thumb while holding the other hand outside the case in case something flew off (I do have fairly strong fingers).

The first spring I tried to remove before fully removing the axle, and it did its spring thing and ended up half way across the room.

The second one I removed the axle first, then just lifted the leg and spring out together - much easier.

Also the heat much have been affecting me more than I realised when I sorted the keycaps out, and I had half one piece and half two piece.  That is rationalised now, with nearly all the keycaps being 2 piece.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 February 2017, 04:15:32 by rowdy »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 13:39:36 »

Still need to make some sort of frame to support it while I am putting it back together.

A few pieces of scrap wood and some nails can make the job a lot easier.
- Kirsch 2017

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 18:35:18 »

Still need to make some sort of frame to support it while I am putting it back together.

A few pieces of scrap wood and some nails can make the job a lot easier.

Inside dimensions appreciated :)

I also like the ones that Phosphorglow uses, but they would take far longer to make.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 03:08:09 »
Here's a picture of the axle thingy - you can see the three flattish sides and the one curved side.

161049-0

1/16" drill bit, you say?  Guess which one I seem to have lost in the distant past ...

161051-1

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 17:16:17 »
Progress report.

Everything is disassembled ready for a bath.  Still need to dig the old baby bath out and clean it though.  I washed one of my SSKs in it - a perfect size.

AFAIK all holes are drilled.  Most of them turned out not too bad.  Still waiting for nuts and bolts to arrive from China - shipping estimate is they will arrive late March or early April.  Hopefully a bit earlier than that.

Keycaps soaking.  Still need to sort out ANSI replacements for the few non-ANSI keys on the M122 (e.g. L-Shift, Enter, backslash).  Still haven't quite decided what to make the left 10 function keys - blank keycaps are on standby.

Pro Micro ordered (from China) - apparently 3 to 4 weeks to arrive.

161369-0

161371-1

161373-2

Thank you to everyone for the help provided so far :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 00:51:04 »
Afternoon update.

The case and barrel plate have been given a bath.  Did I go a bit overboard with the candles?

161395-0

The case seemed to enjoy the bath anyway, and both case and barrel plate turned out quite well.  All the black texta marks came off the case quite nicely.

161397-1

Keycaps soaked, scrubbed, and now drying.

161399-2