Author Topic: Bambino's Keycap Lab  (Read 81719 times)

Offline bcredbottle

Re: Bambino's Keycap Lab (Sale Survey Active - Requesting Your Input)
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:49:08 »
Don't make Topre caps. There are MX sliders for Topre boards now.

Thanks I agree

LOL.  It's a lot more work to convert caps between MX and Topre.  I'm still trying to figure out the best process to use for that.  But being a Topre lover myself, it's probably worth the effort.

Wow amazing work! How long have you been sculpting? That's some amazing detail & quality casts. Keybuto is my personal favorite so far. But only because I'm not a dog person. Because those multishot dukes look like real ones!

Thanks for the kind words! This is my first serious foray into sculpting -- I'm a patent attorney by day, and previously only spent much time with 2D art.

I hope to find a good doubleshot design for Keybuto.  My experiments so far have been seriously underwhelming.

Holy crap another attorney! I thought I was the only one on this site.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 14:06:17 »
I really like Keybuto :)
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline DaveW

• zer0knowledge
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 15:21:08 »
Don't make Topre caps. There are MX sliders for Topre boards now.

Thanks I agree

LOL.  It's a lot more work to convert caps between MX and Topre.  I'm still trying to figure out the best process to use for that.  But being a Topre lover myself, it's probably worth the effort.

Wow amazing work! How long have you been sculpting? That's some amazing detail & quality casts. Keybuto is my personal favorite so far. But only because I'm not a dog person. Because those multishot dukes look like real ones!

Thanks for the kind words! This is my first serious foray into sculpting -- I'm a patent attorney by day, and previously only spent much time with 2D art.

I hope to find a good doubleshot design for Keybuto.  My experiments so far have been seriously underwhelming.

I actually really like that doubleshot Keybuto in your first post. That and the solid blue are my favorite colors (also my favorite keycap out of the three)

Offline shinz0

• i was told there would be cake
Re: Bambino's Keycap Lab
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 13:35:51 »
I've got another update for you guys. I've been working on some more multi-cast experiments.

Show Image

I've also been working on more transparent materials.

Show Image

I'm considering having a mini sale, probably less than 40 pieces, to gauge interest in a bigger sale and to get a feel for how much materials and time I would need to hold a bigger sale. What is the preferred way to hold a sale like that? I made a short survey if you'd like to let me know:

http://goo.gl/forms/l89rjo3v9g

damn that multi cast is so dope! survey filled!

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 14:14:29 »
Posted on reddit to the effect, but I am now a fan.  Thank you for posting what you've worked on!  The sculpting is definitely from mature concepts and I'm very very pleased to see the level of rendering you have dedicated to the forms.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline harlw

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 14:33:45 »
Wow, great work!
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 14:45:29 »

Posted on reddit to the effect, but I am now a fan.  Thank you for posting what you've worked on!  The sculpting is definitely from mature concepts and I'm very very pleased to see the level of rendering you have dedicated to the forms.

A blessing from the Binge himself. Thanks dude. Huge fan of your work too. Would love to bounce a few questions off you sometime if you're willing.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 15:35:12 »

A blessing from the Binge himself. Thanks dude. Huge fan of your work too. Would love to bounce a few questions off you sometime if you're willing.

Oh snap. We need a collabo

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 15:59:57 »
Hey man! I remember talking to you on reddit when you were just started working on these! Looking good, can't wait to see more of your stuff

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 16:24:55 »

I'm always open to talk with other artisans.  Feel free to PM me here or IRC and we can exchange info.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 16:37:19 »
Man these caps are ****in fire.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 16:50:59 »
Great looking artisans, Bambino!  When the Keybutos are available, I will pick one up for sure.  Also, if there's any possibility for Topre in the future, I'd be in on that too. 

In terms of input, imo the Keybuto would look nice with the four side edges of the cap being sharper corners.  Also, I think a black/red cap would look nice in this design.  Although I'll admit I am quite ignorant to Japanese history, wasn't it divided into different provinces before being Japan as a whole?  If so, a neat idea for a sale might be to have colours/names for each of the caps corresponding to a province.
Keep up the great work!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2016, 16:54:41 by cryptokey »
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 16:27:00 »
In case you're interested, here's the results of the survey:

At first, the survey was only linked from this thread in GH, and the results were ~60% in favor of a raffle sale with about 30 entries total.  After also linking the survey on Reddit, it jumped to 105 entries with a dead even split between raffle and scheduled sale.  It's interesting to me to see how the preferences of each forum differ. 

By the way, the "other" results were from someone who liked commissioned sales and someone who likes raffle and scheduled sales evenly.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 16:32:26 »

Show Image

At first, the survey was only linked from this thread in GH, and the results were ~60% in favor of a raffle sale with about 30 entries total.  After also linking the survey on Reddit, it jumped to 105 entries with a dead even split between raffle and scheduled sale.  It's interesting to me to see how the preferences of each forum differ. 

By the way, the "other" results were from someone who liked commissioned sales and someone who likes raffle and scheduled sales evenly.

I think it's because reddit (being the more general population) doesn't understand that there are a limited number of caps, therefore they think that a direct sale is better. Unless there's a significant inventory it just isn't fair because of timezones and other potential obligations at the time of the sale. For more popular artisans the raffle is the way to go.

Of course BroCaps and Click Clack just do a little bit of everything (serisously, everything) and I personally like that best.

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 16:40:06 »

I think it's because reddit (being the more general population) doesn't understand that there are a limited number of caps, therefore they think that a direct sale is better. Unless there's a significant inventory it just isn't fair because of timezones and other potential obligations at the time of the sale. For more popular artisans the raffle is the way to go.

Of course BroCaps and Click Clack just do a little bit of everything (serisously, everything) and I personally like that best.

Unless one of the sale types was an overwhelming favorite, I was planning on trying a few different things and just going with what I liked best. But there is good feedback, like yours, and things I didn't consider in planning that have come out as a result of the survey, so it has still been helpful.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 16:41:37 »

Unless one of the sale types was an overwhelming favorite, I was planning on trying a few different things and just going with what I liked best. But there is good feedback, like yours, and things I didn't consider in planning that have come out as a result of the survey, so it has still been helpful.

Just remember you can't ever please everyone. Do what works best for you.  :thumb:

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 17:38:09 »

Show Image

Agreed, also I feel like someone who goes mainly on reddit would feed into some of the "illuminati" rhetoric, and think that a raffle sale is less transparent than something like a direct sale. Which is a bit ridiculous.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 20:30:27 »

Show Image

Agreed, also I feel like someone who goes mainly on reddit would feed into some of the "illuminati" rhetoric, and think that a raffle sale is less transparent than something like a direct sale. Which is a bit ridiculous.

Yup, a raffle works best for people of different timezones, as well as eliminates stress from entering at the right time.

Offline DrCr4nK

• Yeah, man. I dig that.
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 21:09:00 »
I need so many of those bulldogs in my life.

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 12:57:11 »
Really digging duke.
Does anyone know of a place where I can find information about converting an MX keycap mold to a Topre keycap mold?
I'm going to be making molds soon for mine, and I have a strategy I think might just work to make the mold compatible with MX and Topre.

Hopefully we can see these in Topre soon ;)

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 07:10:47 »
Wow this is some pretty awesome work! Good to see plenty of new, excellent artisan makers on the scene.
Have to keep watching for what you have in the works. :D

Offline lucaslink

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 14:48:15 »
im stoked about your caps. any idea when your first sale might happen? interesting results on that survey.

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 15:51:34 »
This is my fiancee's English bulldog. If there was any way I could get my hands on a keycap of his likeness, that'd be so freaking amazing.
pls gief bbv2

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 16:11:26 »
Wow nice work there!

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 16:55:22 »
Why would anyone want a direct sale? all thats going to do is have hoarders buying everything immediately. and what about timezones

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 17:32:51 »
Why would anyone want a direct sale? all thats going to do is have hoarders buying everything immediately. and what about timezones

Hoarders gotta vote too
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 22:00:08 »
I've been getting some PM requests about this, so I'll put something here. I'll make a sale announcement tomorrow!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 22:01:47 »
I've been getting some PM requests about this, so I'll put something here. I'll make a sale announcement tomorrow!

That's great about the announcement! I just hope peer pressure didn't push you into making one.

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 22:35:12 »
That's great about the announcement! I just hope peer pressure didn't push you into making one.
Nah, I was planning on an announcement already.  Excited!

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 23:49:12 »
Do a bulldaug sale, pls

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 00:17:01 »
Nah, I was planning on an announcement already.  Excited!

I agree with FLFisherman. I would rather see a complete product than a rushed, unfinished one. Glad to hear these will be going on sale, though!
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 12:41:19 »
A sale announcement thread should be up in the Artisan Services section upon approval by the mods.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 13:07:04 »
A sale announcement thread should be up in the Artisan Services section upon approval by the mods.

:-*

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 13:08:36 »

Hip hip hooray!

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 13:13:32 »

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 13:52:46 »
Just throwing this out there:  I'm interested in obtaining some keys and color chips for color matching some keycaps.  I can find the SP color codes and chips that would match SP keysets, but haven't had any success finding similar materials for GMK/Originative/other producers.  Anyone have any leads to find color materials for those providers? 

If they don't exist, maybe one of you has a Hyperfuse or Charred Orange set out there that can tell me (or even better, post a photo showing) how closely the magenta on Hyperfuse matches the pink of SP Miami Pink or how closely the orange from SP 1976 or Nuclear Data matches the orange in Charred orange.  I'd also be interested to see what SP color most resembles the grey used in Charred Orange or Carbon keysets.

Any takers?

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 22:54:33 »
Breakthrough.

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 22:56:52 »
Breakthrough.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Dank asf mate, Hope I can one day grab one your caps!!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 00:41:34 »
Jes...

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 00:48:17 »
Breakthrough.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Congratulations on getting a Topre cast prepared!

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 01:38:40 »
Breakthrough.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Oh..
Now I feel a bit guilty for taking a mx one.

Offline tangkims

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 02:09:14 »
Man... a gold keybuto would look so sick on the black topre keyboards

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 03:37:05 »
Let me know if you need a hack'd keycap for colour matching. I live in Australia though.

Offline Vimto

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 04:06:47 »
I need Topre Keybuto. Those colours are amazing as well.

HHKB Pro 2    HHKB Pro 2   Realforce 87U       WhiteFox        Keyboardio
   BT Hasu                              55g 10th      The True Fox        Model 01
  Controller                        Anniversary Ed.     On Order         On Order

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 09:10:30 »

Let me know if you need a hack'd keycap for colour matching. I live in Australia though.
It would probably be cheaper to get a color chip from Signature Plastics! Do you know the color codes used in Hack'd?

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 09:11:49 »

Breakthrough.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Oh..
There will be more to go around soon enough!

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 09:13:07 »
Breakthrough.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Yesssssssssssssssssssss! Glad to see these coming to Topre :D

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 09:14:52 »

It would probably be cheaper to get a color chip from Signature Plastics! Do you know the color codes used in Hack'd?

Centered ORANGE (OAS) legends on GREY (GE) and VERY DARK GREY (GX) base

Can't wait for topre Keybutos!

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 09:15:33 »

Breakthrough.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Oh..
What key caps are those?

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 09:23:25 »

Breakthrough.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Oh..
What key caps are those?
In the photos it's a Leopold FC660C that has some Realforce arrow keys and two Keybutos.