Author Topic: Nightcaps: keps  (Read 3457446 times)

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
Re: Nightcaps: makin dem caps
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 16:49:28 »
More

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #151 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 16:54:57 »
Show Image

That turned out great!
Good job :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 17:04:49 »

Offline Diokhan

Offline theoriginal123123

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 17:06:42 »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #157 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 17:15:54 »

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 17:22:10 »
I always liked Marlboro but I think that's way beyond my current skill level :)
More

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 17:39:47 »

NO. I HATE those guys. F**k them and their bad breath.

What about a moogle/moggle instead?

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 18:05:48 »

That's a good one! Don't forget about Tonberry tho.
More

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 18:07:10 »

That's a good one! Don't forget about Tonberry tho.

I didn't forget...
I chose not to mention it.   :-[

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #162 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 20:53:53 »
LOL
Ifrit, NO Bahamaut, NOOO Anima, NOOOOO FLAN.

Forreal though, Cactaur and Moogle would be cool, hard to imagine how to make those

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #163 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 04:51:05 »
Red XIII would be nice  :cool:
TGR Jane CE | TX-CP | ZZ96 | HHKB | Ducky Shine 3 | Atreus | Infinity Ergodox | IBM Model M | Smart Pad | Taobao Acrylic 96 | TGR910 SE | RGB96 | M4-A | Moon

Pending: Exent | EM7 | M-60 | Kira EXS | 910 Poly | Kn210 | Alice

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #164 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 08:37:47 »
Show Image

Ifrit next!

No! Bahamut!

I love this guy, and Fukushima. I really like how these two arent "real" things (I like the fantasy style instead of organic things)

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 12:09:36 »
Finding that I'm leaning more towards opaque colorways recently. When I was starting out I definitely favored translucents over solids. Still like them but it takes a specific kind of sculpt to pull it off in a way that makes it sing, KeyKollectiv and many Binge designs are great examples that come to mind.

More

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #166 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 12:17:34 »
Finding that I'm leaning more towards opaque colorways recently. When I was starting out I definitely favored translucents over solids. Still like them but it takes a specific kind of sculpt to pull it off in a way that makes it sing, KeyKollectiv and many Binge designs are great examples that come to mind.

Show Image

Those colors are beautiful

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #167 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 12:18:57 »

Show Image

You gotta stop teasing us with these photos. They're fantastic!

Any idea on when you'll have a general sale?

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 12:19:07 »
Gorgeous, my friend. Not fond of the orange one per say (a bit too loud), but the other 3 = YES!!!
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #169 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 12:32:21 »
Really impressive work!

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 12:33:45 »

Show Image

I'm sure many folks are tapped out or close to it from all the recent sales so I'm thinking Mid-March drop would be best.
More

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #171 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 12:43:19 »
Gorgeous, my friend. Not fond of the orange one per say (a bit too loud), but the other 3 = YES!!!

Orange is the original!

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #172 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 13:14:06 »

Show Image

Those colors are beautiful

I think solid colors would definitely work best for these caps, the colors used in those pictures are perfect IMO
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Hispes

• ISYMFS
« Reply #173 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 13:34:23 »

Show Image

I'm sure many folks are tapped out or close to it from all the recent sales so I'm thinking Mid-March drop would be best.

That may allow more people without caps a chance, as some will sit it out. Certainly no matter when the sale, all the caps will be spoken for.

I'm ready!

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #174 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 23:37:55 »
Fantastic work :)

« Reply #175 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 05:13:28 »
I'm loving that OG orange Bomb! Can't wait to get my hands on one!

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #176 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 06:44:06 »

Show Image

And opaque colors bring out the details better than translucent. I think you dont need to worry about sales being closely implemented, with these kind of caps, youll do great if not better. Just think of holloween and christmas themed sales  :thumb:

So schedule it so i can get a fugu already :cool:
TGR Jane CE | TX-CP | ZZ96 | HHKB | Ducky Shine 3 | Atreus | Infinity Ergodox | IBM Model M | Smart Pad | Taobao Acrylic 96 | TGR910 SE | RGB96 | M4-A | Moon

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #177 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 12:13:59 »

Show Image

And opaque colors bring out the details better than translucent. I think you dont need to worry about sales being closely implemented, with these kind of caps, youll do great if not better. Just think of holloween and christmas themed sales  :thumb:

Thanks Krytone! Just need to wait on bags/packaging stuff at this point so I think the 15th of March will be the date for now :)
More

« Reply #178 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 12:15:33 »

Show Image

Can I start getting hype now...?

Thanks Krytone! Just need to wait on bags/packaging stuff at this point so I think the 15th of March will be the date for now :)

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #179 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 12:56:15 »

Show Image

Those colors look very good. The amount of detail is amazing.
Yoda grammar best has

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #180 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 12:48:54 »
So I made my first molds last night, using an r4 mx blank,
The top of the cap came out fine, but when I did my stem side of the mold, the stem didn't completely form to its full length.

It didn't reach the height it should have.   I think I put way too much petroleum inside the stem, and that limited the silicone from fully filling it.

Do you have any advice for making perfect stem molds?

1) Stop using petroleum jelly - too easy to get overfill gaps and details, plus its inconsistent in application. Better off with a spray release.
2) If you're not pressure curing/casting then consider using a toothpick or something else small to apply small amounts of silicone to the inside of the stem on the master. Easy to trap bubbles in there causing exactly what you talked about.
3) If not degassing / pressure casting be patient and careful not to introduce bubbles into the sil as you are mixing. Pour in a very thin stream to burst existing bubbles as you fill the mold.
4) Happy to answer any more q's you may have but let's move it to the Making Stuff Together thread :)

Good to know about the spray.

I would love to get a pressure pot, but I have to wait on that for a while.

Ill have to give it another go with the stem side tonight.
I did a very thin and high pour, and seemed to go fine without any bubbles in the molds.
Me limiting the fill of the stem from the overdose of petroleum was the only problem for now I think.
Im only doing the r4 mx and topre blanks first so that i'll have both negatives to place stemless sculpted caps on in the future.

Sorry about posting in the sale thread, and for this long quote-post.
Brought over convo from sale thread.

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #181 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 16:05:53 »
So I made my first molds last night, using an r4 mx blank,
The top of the cap came out fine, but when I did my stem side of the mold, the stem didn't completely form to its full length.

It didn't reach the height it should have.   I think I put way too much petroleum inside the stem, and that limited the silicone from fully filling it.

Do you have any advice for making perfect stem molds?

1) Stop using petroleum jelly - too easy to get overfill gaps and details, plus its inconsistent in application. Better off with a spray release.
2) If you're not pressure curing/casting then consider using a toothpick or something else small to apply small amounts of silicone to the inside of the stem on the master. Easy to trap bubbles in there causing exactly what you talked about.
3) If not degassing / pressure casting be patient and careful not to introduce bubbles into the sil as you are mixing. Pour in a very thin stream to burst existing bubbles as you fill the mold.
4) Happy to answer any more q's you may have but let's move it to the Making Stuff Together thread :)

Good to know about the spray.

I would love to get a pressure pot, but I have to wait on that for a while.

Ill have to give it another go with the stem side tonight.
I did a very thin and high pour, and seemed to go fine without any bubbles in the molds.
Me limiting the fill of the stem from the overdose of petroleum was the only problem for now I think.
Im only doing the r4 mx and topre blanks first so that i'll have both negatives to place stemless sculpted caps on in the future.

Sorry about posting in the sale thread, and for this long quote-post.
Brought over convo from sale thread.

No worries mate! Keep me posted on the results :)
More

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #182 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 20:28:27 »
So although the mold was useless as far as making stemmed caps, I had it there and was itching to have some plastic.
I poured in my evenly mixed smooth-on 320, let it sit for like 20 minutes and it was very brittle and bendable.
  :p
Does the de-mold time of 10mins really mean an hour? or am I doing it wrong?

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #183 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 21:21:44 »
So although the mold was useless as far as making stemmed caps, I had it there and was itching to have some plastic.
I poured in my evenly mixed smooth-on 320, let it sit for like 20 minutes and it was very brittle and bendable.
  :p
Does the de-mold time of 10mins really mean an hour? or am I doing it wrong?

De-mold time and cure-time are two separate things. De-mold time window is just an indication of the resin being cohesive enough to exit the mold on one piece. It will be super gummy at the early part of the window - a little less gummy towards the end. Once that part "cures" it'll be hard so long as you portioned and mixed the resin properly.
More

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #184 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 05:05:40 »

Show Image

Can I start getting hype now...?

oh ye baybe

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 08:49:36 »
So my first cap on the new mold came out and I'm somewhat happy with it. Course I've got a problem with the stem but only somewhat usable, but all in all it came out pretty good. I was expecting some giant bubbles in it, but as far as I can tell there's only one section that has really tiny bubbles that pooled on the surface

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 12:07:47 »
A good friend of mine stopped by the studio to check out what I've been working on the last month or so. He was pretty excited to see the keycap micro-sculptures since he has a design background. Lent him some tools and pushed him to give sculpting a try and this is what we came back with after a couple of days:

Ridiculous!

I made a mold for him and cast it, here's the result:

It's a little on the tall side but an amazing first sculp!
More

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #187 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 12:09:31 »
A good friend of mine stopped by the studio to check out what I've been working on the last month or so. He was pretty excited to see the keycap micro-sculptures since he has a design background. Lent him some tools and pushed him to give sculpting a try and this is what we came back with after a couple of days:

Show Image

Ridiculous!

Show Image

Ow **** where do you live? They seem to breed artist there :D looks awesome!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 12:11:03 »

Show Image

Ridiculous!

Show Image

We need more giant artisans. Probably would work well with SA-profile caps.

We also need more photos of your friend's cap. It looks really cool.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 March 2016, 12:18:59 by FLFisherman »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 12:32:26 »

Show Image

Ridiculous!

Show Image

I was going to say, we need more artisan caps for SA height!

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 12:33:47 »
Is that some kind of evil mushroom character? Interesting idea there.

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 12:35:30 »
Is that some kind of evil mushroom character? Interesting idea there.

*Fungal Horror, lol
More

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #192 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 12:58:21 »
Im so jealous of your skill

Offline Hispes

• ISYMFS
« Reply #193 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:08:19 »

Show Image

Ridiculous!

Show Image

My wallet must procure this. Please take my money.

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #194 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:38:58 »

Show Image

Ridiculous!

Show Image

I'll try and see if I can convince him to create a GH account :) He's just starting out in his keyboard journey.
More

Offline Hispes

• ISYMFS
« Reply #195 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:40:26 »

Show Image

Ridiculous!

Show Image

I'll try and see if I can convince him to create a GH account :) He's just starting out in his keyboard journey.

Just have him make the cap, and ask him where I should send money.  :cool:

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:46:35 »

Show Image

Ridiculous!

Show Image

+1 Other artisans are too short on SA profile boards!

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:50:08 »
This thread is too much

Can't deal
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:51:14 »
This thread is too much

Can't deal

Must be someone playing a joke on us :P

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 13:51:42 »
That's a cool cap. Why is everyone so creative?