Author Topic: [IC] Atreus Aluminum case  (Read 4236 times)

Offline dustpuppy

[IC] Atreus Aluminum case
« on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 09:12:39 »
I am in the process of building an Atreus and I am most likely going to have an Aluminum case milled. There are various options for this, but seeing as I'm using a stainless steel switch plate, I was thinking of just doing a bottom case to cover the PCB and with an opening for the cable. So it would be very similar to a plank bottom: https://olkb.com/planck/milled-bottom

At this point this is only an idea in my head. It would only work for people who use steel or aluminum plates for their Atreus. But I think this would look very professional, much more than the laser cut wooden plates.

I thought I'd start a thread and see who else is interested. I've got experience working with machine shops and have done quite a few CNC projects.

Offline Atredl

Re: [IC] Atreus Aluminum case
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 11:52:35 »
I'm interested. That wooden switch plate is the thing that bothers me the most about the Atreus.

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 15:22:59 »
Definitely interested

Offline dustpuppy

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 18:52:09 »
Doesn't look like there's a huge amount of interest so far, I think I may stick to my stainless steel plates. Photos here: http://imgur.com/gallery/ZaZHV

Offline Atredl

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 20:26:05 »
This is what I was afraid of. Even though the offshoot Atreus 62 has seen some popularity lately, there doesn't seem to be that many Atreus out in the wild.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 20:27:22 »
Off topic but, what kind of spacers did you use between the plates on your SS Atreus?

Offline dustpuppy

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 22:07:40 »

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 07:44:47 »
Might have more success doing one for a ergodox, seem to be more of those around. I actually just got my hands on one I really like and am surprised it's so difficult finding anything other then a sandwich case with screws coming out the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dustpuppy

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 19:00:31 »
The problem with the ergodox is that there are things sticking out above the level of the switch plate, it makes CNC-milling a case complicated. For the Atreus, I could just design a case that fits neatly under the switch plate, but for the Ergodox, there are a lot more things to consider. Also ever since I built this https://github.com/lucwastiaux/ergodox/tree/master/steel_case for my Ergodox EZ, I lost interest in making an ergodox case.

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 22:51:19 »
The problem with the ergodox is that there are things sticking out above the level of the switch plate, it makes CNC-milling a case complicated. For the Atreus, I could just design a case that fits neatly under the switch plate, but for the Ergodox, there are a lot more things to consider. Also ever since I built this https://github.com/lucwastiaux/ergodox/tree/master/steel_case for my Ergodox EZ, I lost interest in making an ergodox case.

Show Image

Looks pretty nice man! Honestly I just meant something very similar to the ergodox ez case (like your black one in the pic) but in a nice anodized aluminum instead of the plastic. No full hand or anything (i already own a very nice wooden full hand palm rest for it ) just wish the ergo on top of that full hand had a nice anodized aluminum case like the ergodox ez where you cant see the screws on the top.

Offline qbits

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 07:03:38 »
I am definitely interested. And yeah I also think the number of actual atreus users also into moding is probably quite low compared to some other boards. Not that it matters really since everything is open source.

I love your design btw, as I said on reddit I am in the process of building a new board based on it with some modifications. I think I might try to get a transparent acrylic "middle layer" to fill the gaps once I am done. In any case I will let you know and post pictures here.

Thanks again for the hours you put into this, it's really superb.