Author Topic: First casts that came out "good" but need help  (Read 1772 times)

Offline superiorgorg30

First casts that came out "good" but need help
« on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 13:01:43 »
http://imgur.com/a/4rma2

These are my first caps that I have cast that I am happy to put on my keyboard, but i need help with the resin.

When they first cam out of the mould's the looked amazing, very few bubbles in the clear parts, was happy with how the colour and the glitter looked together, felt like i had finally started to crack how to cast.

When i went to sand the base and get them looking presentable, (this is a good 24 - 28 hours after cast) my gloves left marks all over the surface. I tried to use a small buffing wheels with cutting compound and again this left more marks. I tried just buffing them by hand to see of that worked out better than a machine and that still left marks and i still canot get them to look as shinny and clean as they did when they first came out of the mould's.

I work with the caps in a small room where the boiler is so it's around 22 - 24 Degrees in there so I think that's warm enough?? :-\

Is it just a case of I need to let them cure outside of the mould's for a longer period of time, or am i doing something wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Offline klaushouse

Re: First casts that came out "good" but need help
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 14:16:47 »
How long did it call for to cure, and how long did you let it sit?

I usually let anything sit for at least an extra hour or two, if not overnight, just because I am worry-wart.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 14:32:49 »
I've been leaving my caps under pressure for 24 hours and they're coming out completely cured. I used to pop 'em out after 12-15 hours and they would sometimes come out sticky.

Maybe just leave em a little longer before pulling them out of the mold.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 14:36:46 »
I'd make sure your ratio of resin to hardener is good, the more exact the better.

Usually issues like this can be caused by not enough hardener, moisture in the air, or low temperatures inhibiting the curing process (but your temperatures are fine).