Author Topic: The most famous wrestlers to ever live?  (Read 2406 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
The most famous wrestlers to ever live?
« on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 22:01:22 »
Who do you think are the most recognizable, famous, or otherwise legendary wrestlers of all-time?
The Rock has got to be the most successful wrestler of all-time, no? And his career is still going strong(er) even outside of the wrestling world.
IDK anyone else who could challenge him in terms of recognizability except for Hulk Hogan and Andre The Giant, who are arguably the 2nd and 3rd most successful/famous wrestlers ever.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
Re: The most famous wrestlers to ever live?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 22:12:50 »
How could anyone forget The Undertaker and John Cena? Definitely not number 1, but they're both recognizable and Cena has had a successful career outside of wresting as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 22:18:35 »
I was actually thinking about Batista, Undertaker, and Cena too but weren't sure if they were at the same level of fame as like Hulk

Batista probably will be more well known as his acting career progresses, he's actually a damn good actor.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 00:17:18 »
I was actually thinking about Batista, Undertaker, and Cena too but weren't sure if they were at the same level of fame as like Hulk

Batista probably will be more well known as his acting career progresses, he's actually a damn good actor.

I can't think of Hulk without thinking of Macho Man or vice versa.

My other picks would be Roddy Piper for They Live and Mick Foley for just being a legend in the business.

The Rock and Hulk I think are the pinnacle of recognition in wrestling.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 00:24:44 »
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kazuchika Okada, Kenny Omega comes to mind.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 00:41:38 »
Dan Gable.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 08:06:53 »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 08:30:08 »
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kazuchika Okada, Kenny Omega comes to mind.

Interesting - never heard of any of them, but as they wrestle in Japan that's hardly surprising!  It does raise the question of what is 'most famous' - I would assume it would be a household name in China or India if we go purely by 'recognised by the most people worldwide' and if Chinese watch Japanese wrestling one of the above is probably the correct answer.

If we mean 'famous for being a wrestler' things like The Rock being in lots of movies and Batista's being in some movies and UFC don't really count so I would go with Hulk Hogan - he even appeared in an episode of The A-Team in character so people who were non-wrestling fans would still know he is/was a wrestler.

If we're talking about 'famous as a wrestler amongst western wrestling fans' it would have to be someone who was successful at lots of franchises(?), preferably in Japan and Mexico (and anywhere else wrestling's big) as well as USA.  I am not a hardcore wrestling fan so I'm not going to guess who might fit this profile.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 10:04:11 »
Saw that wrestling movie, the one with the cocaine and the the 21 jumpstreet guy.

Then there was that wrestling movie with that really ugly dude,  but also Marissa Tomei.. which made it a watchable.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 11:12:29 »
I think it really depends on the era in which you watched.  I remember Dusty Rhodes, The Iron Sheik, Bob Backlund, Mr. Wrestling Number I and II, Lex Luger, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Andre the Giant, Jesse Ventura, Ric Flair, Roddy Piper, Kurt Angle... there are several more.  After you step out of the ring (or to people that aren't in the ring), your fame will wane.

Offline Blackehart

• Booty Aficionado Extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 17:17:14 »
All these nobodies...
Brett "The Hitman" Hart
The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be!
^_^

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 17:45:57 »
I never followed wrestling at all, but Dusty Rhodes and "Nature Boy" Rick Flair ring a bell.

One of my worst "uncle moments" was watching "professional" wrestling in the 1980s with my pre-pubescent nephew when one of the wrestlers did something abominable that would have certainly resulted in a broken neck, at the minimum, and I said something like "Ouch! It's a good thing this isn't real." and my nephew jumped up and said "What do you mean it isn't real?"

It was one of those times where you want to take back what you just said, but have no idea what else you might have said instead.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28