Author Topic: Goldtouch V2 Initial Thoughts  (Read 8052 times)

Offline Gerk

Goldtouch V2 Initial Thoughts
« on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 10:04:05 »
I think I like the layout of this keyboard, the key presses feel pretty smooth and they are definitely quiet and soft in terms of the key feel.  They feel a little "meatier" than the Topre I had previously as well as having a softer landing, and they definitely have a completely different sound than the Topre did.  The Topre had a pretty solid "clock" type sound when bottoming out the keys, but this board is much quiter and softer on the landing.  This may be because it's still brand new and will change, but so far I really like the feel of the keys.  I will always take my first impressions with a grain of salt however, because I usually really like the fell of almost any new decent key that I've not yet typed on for the first little while but then my opinion changes ;)  The keycaps feel a bit "cheap" -- but I think that can be said of most of them after you have gotten used to replacing your keycaps with high quality ones that you choose for yourself.

The spacing feels a tiny bit odd to me but that could also have a lot to do with the fact that I've changed up so many different keyboards over the last little while.  After a few moments of typing the layout feels quite nice and I'm not having difficulties touch typing.  Very smooth to type on and even flat I'm already starting to enjoy the tiny bit of separation between the keyboard halves.

The arrangement of all of the modifier keys feels a little bit odd for OSX users.  For windows it is pretty much completely normal, but for Mac they have reversed the command and option/alt keys.  That said I honestly don't care that much as I will remap them in the OS, but it's odd that they would have a dedicated mac/pc switch on the keyboard, and dedicated mac legends printed onto the keycaps, but then not bother to arrange them in the standard Mac type layout.  Odd but not really a big deal, to me it makes the Mac part of the switch redundant ... most PC only keyboards work totally fine on Mac with one caveat -- the command/option keys being reversed -- which is exactly how this keyboard is layed out even when you switch it to Mac.  I've tried it with the swtich on both settings and can't notice any kind of difference when using it on my Mac!

On another note they have done mostly the same with the F keys/media keys arrangement.  It's nothing at all like the Mac one and it's not much like many of the PC layouts I've seen either (all the media playing controls are from F1-F3, Volume from F4-F6).  Typically you see them the other way around, with the media control keys on the upper F keys -- but again not a big deal for me as I will just remap them for my needs.

So far so good, I will be using this board for the next little while at the very least so if anything about my opinion changes I will report back, as well as when I start messing with the split and tenting angles.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 October 2012, 15:13:32 by Gerk »
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline sordna

Re: Goldtouch V2 Initial Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 21:39:30 »
Cool, this is the thread to post Goldtouch pics then :-)
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Gerk

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 13:56:08 »
Ok here's some info and snaps.

Did the rip-o-meter test and they seem to be around 45g pretty consistently.  I sampled about 4-5 places on the board and they were all pretty much the same.  The keycaps themselves are fairly rough (which likely means they will wear down) and the printing is not the nicest I've seen but they get the job done.  The case itself is a nice textured matte finish, so this is not a fingerprint magnet like some of the other boards I own which is nice.  Most of all it feels very solid build wise.  It's not super heavy, but for a board that doesn't have a metal plate in it like most of my cherry based boards do it's got some heft to it.  Much heftier than your typical non-name plastic boards.

Still really enjoying the board, including the key feel, which I'm very glad about.  I can't compare it to switches and it definitely doesn't have the same exacting tactile response, but the keys do have a noticeable bump in them when they actuate.  The travel feels very smooth (which is one of my biggest peeves for most rubber dome boards).

The adjustment mechanism feels super solid and I have no doubts that it will last the lifetime of the board.  The addition of the front snap up legs is nice and does allow for a lot of different ways you can setup the angles of this board.

There's just so much adjustment available I think that it's a good fit for anyone looking for that "split" sort of board with a standard layout.  It's interesting how they laid out the "other" keys as well (navigation, lock keys, etc)  I find it fairly natural where the arrows are and am not having a hard time re-homing onto them at all, and the location of the Pg Up, Down, Home and End keys are great for me.  I really like the thinking behind the large insert and delete keys at the top right of the board as well.  Unlike many other boards with alternate key positions it feels like there was some time spent on figuring out how people use these keys and they were put in appropriate locations.  The left hand side of the board have the keys that I rarely have to use, or when I do it's not something that will disrupt me by having them in that location.

So far so good, I think this is the best thing I've done ergonomically with a keyboard, ever.  Just the fact that I can constantly change up the split and tent angles makes me happy ... if you're like me and like to change things up all the time it's perfect.  No more swapping one board for another, just make a change to the split and angle and it gives my hands enough of a change up.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2012, 13:57:41 by Gerk »
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 15:49:00 »
I was going to recommend you try and mod it to a mechanical, but the odd shaped keys make that darn annoying.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 16:04:08 »
I was going to recommend you try and mod it to a mechanical, but the odd shaped keys make that darn annoying.

Yep lots of odd size keys on this setup.  If it ever dies the case and split/tenting mechanism will become a donor for a project for sure though!

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 04:33:13 »
Glad to hear that you like the Goldtouch.  Where but in the Ergonomics Forum can we find Geekhackers willing to admit that mechanical switches aren't everything?  For those of us with RSI, CTS, RA, RLS and any other painful initials,  pain relief trumps key switch pleasure.

Does the Goldtouch seem bulky for a TKL, and does it create a positive slope when you tent or splay the halves?

I hope the Goldtouch continues to work out for you.  Keep us posted.

Offline sordna

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 12:10:40 »
Glad to hear that you like the Goldtouch.  Where but in the Ergonomics Forum can we find Geekhackers willing to admit that mechanical switches aren't everything?

Haha, indeed! When I first switched from my Goldtouch to a Kinesis Classic, I thought that the new switches (cherry browns) where a DOWNGRADE compared to the smooth and soft Goldtouch switches... however I loved everything else about the Kinesis so I didn't go back.

Thankfully, the advent of the Advantage LF with the smoother red switches, in combination with soft o-rings, fixed the gripe I had about harsh mechanical switches :-)
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline c64

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 12:43:21 »
I just received my GoldTouch today.  I like the feel of the keys, I am coming from a Logitech K350.  The button layout will take some time to get use to, specifically DEL and ESC.  One thing that is causing me major issues right now is the NUM LOCK.  I have a standalone numeric keypad.  With NUM LOCK on, the J,K,L,U,I,O,P, and M keys act as numbers.  So I have to keep pressing the NUM LOCK whenever I want to use the numeric keypad and then turn it off when I want to use the GoldTouch.  I emailed tech support and they said they it should work interdependently.  They do not.  Anyone know if this is a setting somewhere?

Offline Gerk

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 19:04:32 »
Does the Goldtouch seem bulky for a TKL, and does it create a positive slope when you tent or splay the halves?

No it's quite small and feels like a small TKL.  You can get it to angle and tent to just about any positive or negative position within reason.  There's even front legs on it (in the middle) for doing negative inclines that work fairly well in conjunction with the tilt/splay mechanism.  It's extremely configurable position wise.  It can, however, be a pain to get back into what you had for a previous position after you've moved it!  3 axis movement takes time to get used to for tweakability purposes!

Offline Gerk

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 20:40:42 »
I just received my GoldTouch today.  I like the feel of the keys, I am coming from a Logitech K350.  The button layout will take some time to get use to, specifically DEL and ESC.  One thing that is causing me major issues right now is the NUM LOCK.  I have a standalone numeric keypad.  With NUM LOCK on, the J,K,L,U,I,O,P, and M keys act as numbers.  So I have to keep pressing the NUM LOCK whenever I want to use the numeric keypad and then turn it off when I want to use the GoldTouch.  I emailed tech support and they said they it should work interdependently.  They do not.  Anyone know if this is a setting somewhere?

I read something about this online while I was researching the goldtouch, but I don't remember where or what the resolution was aside from one guy switching to a keypad that had it's own Num lock key.  What OS are you on?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 23:43:23 »

I read something about this online while I was researching the goldtouch, but I don't remember where or what the resolution was aside from one guy switching to a keypad that had it's own Num lock key.  What OS are you on?
Check your BIOS settings. On my laptop at least, the numlock was out of phase like that between the internal keyboard and the external one. I fixed it by changing the numlock status in the BIOS.

You can also try unplugging one, and flipping the state, then plugging it back in.

Offline c64

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 09:46:31 »
Check your BIOS settings. On my laptop at least, the numlock was out of phase like that between the internal keyboard and the external one. I fixed it by changing the numlock status in the BIOS.

You can also try unplugging one, and flipping the state, then plugging it back in.

The only NUMLOCK related setting I have in my BIOS is to turn the NUMLOCK LED ON/OFF on bootup.  I have a Dell Precision T3500 workstation.  I disabled that setting and I still have the issue.   GoldTouch support has been great so far, they response quickly.  They suggested I try another numeric keypad but I am having trouble locating another one in my office.  They also suggested a BIOS update.

Running Windows 7 64bit.  My numeric keypad is a Adesso, which has its own NUMLOCK key.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 October 2012, 10:50:46 by c64 »

Offline Gerk

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 15:06:38 »
I think the problem is that some motherboards (and possibly windows versions) treat all keyboards plugged in as a "single" keyboard -- meaning that if num lock is on with one it's on with all of them.  If I can find that page that I read about this before I will post it here for you.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 15:07:11 »
And I'm still loving the Goldtouch feel and I am stil typing mostly pain-free which is awesome.

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 16:36:34 »
The layout, for Mac user's, seems off. But like you mentioned you can change modifier keys in the OS as a work-around.

The Kinesis Mac Freestyle2 keyboard will be available in November. Would love to see Mac users compare and see which they like more.

Also, anyone interested in a mechanical Cherry Freestyle keyboard? If there is some interest we may offer a DIY kit in the vendor forum in the near future.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 18:22:12 »
The layout, for Mac user's, seems off. But like you mentioned you can change modifier keys in the OS as a work-around.

The Kinesis Mac Freestyle2 keyboard will be available in November. Would love to see Mac users compare and see which they like more.

Also, anyone interested in a mechanical Cherry Freestyle keyboard? If there is some interest we may offer a DIY kit in the vendor forum in the near future.

I'd be happy to review if you want to send me out a review unit when they are released and making the rounds (and I'd send it back of course too!  Not my first BBQ!).

I would be _very_ interested in a mechanical freestyle option, and I'm sure others would be as well.

Offline c64

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 13:17:38 »
So far I am very happy with the GoldTouch keyboard I purchased.  I had some issues with my standalone numeric keypad, but GoldTouch customer support went above and beyond to help me solve the issue.  I am very impressed with their customer service.   I hope they make a ergonomic mechanical keyboard in the future.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 13:44:49 »
So what was the fix, assuming there was a fix ... ?

Offline Gerk

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 00:01:21 »
I ordered another board today for my other workstation setup.  Still very happy and I do really like the feel of the keys still, which is a good sign.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 13:26:42 »
The second board arrived and still loving them, they have done wonders for me.  I think I finally found "my" keyboard :)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 14:21:49 »
the goldtouch v2 was a number1 candidate for my second msergo4k mod, however i couldn't find a "broken one" on ebay for months, cuz i'd only want the body and the cool ball switch and buying a new one to just tear out the inards would have seemed wasteful (and i guess heretic judging from how ppl think of the original keys ha)

Offline Gerk

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 14:33:42 »
If one of my two ever dies I'll be doing some mods with it for sure .. but you're right, it doesn't seem worth it to take a perfectly good keyboard and rip it apart.  Honestly I'm super happy with these boards .. we'll see if they stand the test of time.  Not quite the feel of mechanical keys but they do feel great so at this point I don't feel the need to makes any changes to them!  You should give one a try if you get the chance, you might be surprised.  They don't feel at all like the crappy keys on the MS egro boards at all ... they feel a lot closer to a Topre than anything else I've tried.

Offline sordna

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 21:57:22 »
Nice to hear this. My older Goldtouch also has a "topre" feel and it even sounds nice when typing, so I'm glad to hear the new versions retain the good feel.