Author Topic: lightweight PS2 to USB conversion circuit card  (Read 4966 times)

Offline gator456

lightweight PS2 to USB conversion circuit card
« on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 10:20:48 »
I have seen several projects where people are pulling PS2 trackpoints from old keyboards to put into geekhack projects.  I just stumbled across these on newegg.com and buy.com

This one is made by Syba and is $11.98 from newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124046&cm_re=ps2_to_usb_adapter-_-15-124-046-_-Product

This is the same thing made by StarTech  and is $12.99 from buy.com
http://www.buy.com/prod/startech-com-usb-to-ps-2-keyboard-and-mouse-expansion-slot-adapter/q/loc/101/209199321.html

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 10:21:59 »
That seems useful for keyboards that need more power than your PS/2 port can provide.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline J888www

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 11:45:39 »
Greetings MW, welcome back. Time flies with the blink of an eye.......thirty Days gone. On parole ?

Back to topic.  There are may forms of PS/2 to USB converters, what boggles my grey matter is that why manufacturers not produce more single PS/2 to USB converters like:-

This is the only one I can find on the market but it is not available because of shipping restrictions. It is possible to purchase the 2x PS/2 to USB converters then snip off the mouse connector, but it just isn't the same same and same again.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 11:57:38 »
Quote from: J888www;211418
There are may forms of PS/2 to USB converters, what boggles my grey matter is that why manufacturers not produce more single PS/2 to USB converters

A couple of things:

• We are looking at these from a keyboard enthusiast's perspective.  We already have modern mice, but sometimes we want to use legacy keyboards.  I think this is pretty rare overall.
  • Similar to the first point, I would imagine that in the majority of situations that would require these adapters, users would need both the keyboard and mouse connections.
  • It's probably just as easy for manufacturers to do both as it is to make just a single connection.

I hear you, though.  It would be cleaner to have a single connector.

Offline gator456

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 14:21:14 »
Ripster: Is there a controller chip on the other side of the circuit card?

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 15:58:07 »
The Blue Cube is NOT mouse friendly, correct?
What PS/2 to USB active converter for trackpoints exist other that Gator456 has posted?

It IS fun to say...
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 August 2010, 19:17:38 »
Quote from: ripster;211562
Yep, the Blue Cube is keyboard only.

Won't any of the dual dongles work for a Trackpoint?  Crack one open, cut off  and stick in a keyboard for Trackpoint.

Yes, you are right.

Originally I was hoping to find an actual USB trackpoint to use, or check out whatever other options there are. There is a point of diminishing returns with some of this researching. Going to the Dongle wiki.

Gator456 is about to install one of the PS/2 trackpoints we purchased into his Datahand.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~