Author Topic: Is a trackball mouse for me?  (Read 6429 times)

Offline ichirichi

Is a trackball mouse for me?
« on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 04:57:30 »
I am a coder, and I am at work 9 to 6.  When I get home, I am on my PC playing FPS 80% of the time for a few hours! :)  My wrist is starting to ache and there is definetly a sort spot on the bottom right of my hand!

You guys have already convinced me to get a mechanical keyboard, and now the question is... should I get a trackball ?  

If so, what should I get? I don't plan to game with them as I have never heard anyone tell me a trackball is good for gaming and so it will primarily for work use.  Being able to change the ball for something cool looking would be a bonus :)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 05:12:38 »
Definitely give a trackball a try.  And I suggest giving it a month before deciding whether to stick with it or not.  That radical of a change will feel awkward and uncomfortable initially.  (at least that is my personal experience...takes me a few weeks of dedicated use before I adapt to a new trackball)

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 05:19:12 »
Coder? Trackpoint FTW! Never leave home row!

:)

I have a Logitech TrackMan Marble FX as secondary pointer device (I use Trackpoint primarily). I find that to be the best trackball I have ever owned (or used). I bought it back in -97.

Its nice to use the trackball as a change sometimes. I would guess that I use the Trackpoint on my keyboard for 90% of all movement of the pointer and the rest 10% I rest my hand on the trackball.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 August 2010, 15:03:35 by zmurf »
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline ichirichi

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 05:32:54 »
secondary pointer device!....ahh why didn't I think of that???!!!

Thanks..

I am considering the Kensington expert or slimblade... or should I get something smaller... hmmmmm

Offline zmurf

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 06:36:29 »
Quote from: ichirichi;217173
I am considering the Kensington expert or slimblade... or should I get something smaller... hmmmmm

I wouldn't get the slimblade. Everybody I have talked with who have tested the slimblade says that it is horrible to use. The Kensington Expert on the other hand is built upon a more then 20 year old design. I've seen old Amiga trackballs (not Kensington) based on this design and I also owned an old ExpertMouse before my Marble FX. The Expert is a really great design to use.

I also like the Kensington Orbit (both models are great... both with and without scrolling ring.... even though I personally prefer the one with scrolling ring) and also the Logitech Cordless Trackman Optical USB.
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 06:40:02 »
I have an old Trackman that's been on my desk at work for years and years.  Awesome piece of gear.
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline ironman31

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 07:32:08 »
If you do decide to get one, you'll have to make the decision of one where you use your thumb to move the ball, or your fingers/palm. IMO I find the ones with the larger balls to be more comfortable for extended use.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline bigpook

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 08:01:44 »
Ideally, you would be able to try before you buy.

There are a couple of things to consider.
Do you want to use your thumb or index/fore finger?

Do you like a large ball versus a small ball?

Do you prefer if the ball rides high in the socket (kensington) or low (CST).

I currently use the kensington slimblade. Its pretty awesome, but not for everybody.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 08:08:51 »
Quote from: ironman31;217213
IMO I find the ones with the larger balls to be more comfortable for extended use.

That's what she said!

Offline ichirichi

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 08:12:48 »
I like big balls.... haha.

So I think I would go for the SlimBlade /Expert

Hmm, so has the software for SlimBlade improved? I like the looks of the SlimBlade hardware but I understand (readin from some older posts) that the SlimBlade came with poor software..

Offline Jack

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 08:39:55 »
I have a Kensington Orbit that I play Assaultcube with. It's not exactly modern games, but it can still attest to the use of trackballs in this regard. I regularly make no-scope headshots and flying flick-aim shots and such impressive things using a trackball so I wouldn't say you'd have any trouble after a bit of adaptation. But consider also: http://jack.is/angry/orbit.php
I'm price-shopping for another trackball myself because of these things.

Offline ichirichi

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 08:53:59 »
Who lives in Korea? XD

I'm gonna' go Kensington Expert... Is it fully usable in Windows 7?

Offline ichirichi

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 09:03:24 »
Quote from: ripster;217244
Oooops.  Need more coffee.

Kensington released new Win7 remapping SW support (finally).  Haven't tried it yet but not hearing complaints here.

Awesome! :)

Can the balls be changed on them?

Offline zmurf

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 15:08:18 »
Quote from: ichirichi;217242
Who lives in Korea? XD

I'm gonna' go Kensington Expert... Is it fully usable in Windows 7?

I think this is a good chose... it is definitively the one that I would choose if my Marble FX broke.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 19:47:15 »
Removing the magnet on the KEM does improve the feel of the scroll ring, and it is usable. But in the end, it could have been a better implemented design.
The need for a wrist rest is a minus too. Overall, it still is a fine trackball.

The kensington slimblade takes the 4 button trackball to a new level, imho. The scrolling is incredibly smooth, the little ruby tips the ball rolls on are embedded in the housing and you don't need a wrist rest.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 21:03:34 »
Quote from: ripster;217474
How big is that Slimblade ball?  Looks smaller than the Kensington Experts.

I don't have the KEM close by, but the slimblade ball IS smaller. I don't have a way to measure it though.

EDIT: I don't know what I was thinking  when I posted that. The trackball for the KEM and slimblade are the same size.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 August 2010, 10:42:38 by bigpook »

Offline ichirichi

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 01:30:18 »
Quote from: zmurf;217372
I think this is a good chose... it is definitively the one that I would choose if my Marble FX broke.

I did it! I did it!  I purchased the KE.  Waiting for amazon to deliver it now :D

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 30 August 2010, 19:19:53 »
cool, if you have a large resolution monitor- then please review.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline ichirichi

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 08:37:31 »
Okay, so I have finally receive the Expert mouse! I am not sure I am using it wrong though cos I am actually straining even more?!?  I am sort of craning my hand to control it and then having to fumble around in order to hit the buttons...
Do  I just have to spend more time with it ?

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 11:30:51 »
I'd recommend an M5-2 keyboard. It's a mechanical keyboard with a built-in trackball.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 12:17:46 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;219173
I'd recommend an M5-2 keyboard. It's a mechanical keyboard with a built-in trackball.

@ichirichi
I'd recommend that you ignore the above "advice".

Yes, you need moar time, see iMav's first response to you:

And I suggest giving it a month before deciding whether to stick with it or not. That radical of a change will feel awkward and uncomfortable initially.

If, at the end of an extended (more than 3-4 days) period of time you still aren't "getting it", then perhaps you need a different style of trackball. It is also possible that they are just "not for you".

Stick with it.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline ichirichi

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 13:05:59 »
Thanks for the advice

Offline zmurf

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 13:26:45 »
You should'n have to "cran" your fingers over it. Test to place you hand further back on the wrist rest and just put the finger tops of your three middle fingers (index finger, middle finger and ring finger) between the top and the back on the of the ball. Then you turn your hand a little so your thumb get on top of the left lower mouse button (you use the thumb to press this). Now you should be able to reach the right lower mouse button just by stretching out either your long finger or ring finger a bit.

You should be able to move around the ball with just the three finger tops without moving the rest of the hand.

This is how I used to use my Expert trackball when I had it back in -94. I think it was very comfortable.

Offline ichirichi

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 16:11:36 »
I am basically doing what this dude in the video is doing from (best watch from1:30 onwards).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXQg29q0Arw

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 02 September 2010, 16:55:10 »
Quote from: ichirichi;219303
I am basically doing what this dude in the video is doing from (best watch from1:30 onwards).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXQg29q0Arw

From the looks of it, seems like that is just for precision work. Have you tried to just waving your hand around.

Seems like throughout the video he tries and control the ball like a mouse. Almost as if he is picking it up and trying to move it around. Instead of rolling it across the surface using fingers and wrist instead of a claw.

Maybe a few good spins and break in the rollers as well?

Similar to what this guy is doing except with finger tips, using finger pad; relaxed and not stressing the hand with the claw grip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xqw7d0aHfo

2:00m+
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 September 2010, 16:59:08 by Arc'xer »