Author Topic: What's better Optical or Laser mice for low-sens gamers  (Read 6877 times)

Offline avinin1

What's better Optical or Laser mice for low-sens gamers
« on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 06:33:20 »
Hello,
I have a question - what is better for low sensitivitivy gamers - optical mouse (DeathAdder,MX518) or Laser mouses(Xai,RAT7,G500 etc)

I have This Dilemma, If Optical is better - what is better to have:Mx518 or Deathadder?

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 09:17:25 »
I'd just go with any old mouse that's comfortable. What features do these fancy mice have that your average Dell mouse doesn't?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Arcane

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 09:18:19 »
I think optical is more reliable as many laser mice have some issues with skipping and things like that. I had a lachesis laser mouse for example and the cursor really skipped from time to time, used it one the exactmat mousepad.

If I had to decide between the mx518 and DA I would definetly go for the DA, but maybe thats just my personal preference...I don't like logicrap in general.

I'm using a Xai at the moment and I'm really satisfied with it, it's the best mouse I ever had. Really.

The Xai has a pretty good laser sensor, I didn't have any skipping issues or anything with it. It is precise however you configure it.

So if you're running the Xai with low DPI you can use it as a lowsense mouse as well.

I run it at 1600DPI, 975 polling rate and it tracks nicely.

Offline victheslik

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 11:34:28 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 22:18:58 by victheslik »
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 13:18:28 »
Am I the only one who gets annoyed hearing "optical vs laser"? Lasers ARE optical!!!!!!:mad:

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 15:39:13 »
It doesn't matter anymore as long as the mouse can track the distance it works. Sheer fact is most of the X vs Y discussions are from people who bought 1st gen, 2nd gen lasers and they worked less so than optical for gaming

Most of the people who prefer optical over laser are people who either were gaming with rollerball or trackball mice and in most cases lower quality mice in general back in the early 2000s-pre 1990s or are just monkey see, monkey do. And when optical popped up, in most cases proved to be instantly superior to rollerball and some trackballs.

So in reality the whole optical vs laser is a HUGE ass backwards generational battle from people who don't bother to pay attention to the fact **** has changed.

Do lasers still have some negatives yes but MUCH less subtle than years ago.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 16:44:05 »
Aren't "laser mice" not just like regular optical CCD sensor mice that use laser diodes as light sources instead of regular LEDs?
 ... or am I missing something?

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 21:08:05 »
If they used a beam splitter to turn one laser beam into two coherent rays that can be projected onto the mousing surface to create interference patterns, then they might be able to do something clever with that.

But I imagine proper beam splitters are expensive, so they don't bother, so lasers in mice are simply used as an alternative light source.

Different sensors vary in quality precisely because they are different, for reasons more than just whether they use lasers or not.

Offline bsvP585hUO2Y6

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 01:40:11 »
Quote from: Rajagra;234993
If they used a beam splitter to turn one laser beam into two coherent rays that can be projected onto the mousing surface to create interference patterns, then they might be able to do something clever with that.

But I imagine proper beam splitters are expensive, so they don't bother, so lasers in mice are simply used as an alternative light source.  

Interference effects in form of speckle appear as soon as you shine coherent light onto something. No need for beam splitting here.

Different sensors vary in quality precisely because they are different, for reasons more than just whether they use lasers or not.

I was under the impression that the speckle allows laser mice to track smaller details because the intensity of the speckle is proportional to surface height modulo wavelength.  But I am not a physicist...
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 October 2010, 01:47:59 by bsvP585hUO2Y6 »

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 02:59:17 »
Quote from: Arcane;234678
I had a lachesis laser mouse for example and the cursor really skipped from time to time, used it one the exactmat mousepad.

Thats the dust under the laser.

Offline apex

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 03:49:39 »
Quote from: avinin1;234619
Hello,
I have a question - what is better for low sensitivitivy gamers - optical mouse (DeathAdder,MX518) or Laser mouses(Xai,RAT7,G500 etc)

I have This Dilemma, If Optical is better - what is better to have:Mx518 or Deathadder?
Nowadays it doesn't matter nearly as much. Some of the newer laser (or for you uber geeks, "insert senseless correct/technical term here") mice track very well, low or high sensitivity. The list is short though. If you can afford the Xai, that is a good option. The deathadder is good too, but not as good as the older 1800dpi version. The 3.5g sensor is a bit sketchy depending on the surface you use.

Quote from: microsoft windows;234675
I'd just go with any old mouse that's comfortable. What features do these fancy mice have that your average Dell mouse doesn't?
Ergonomics for one. I always hated the dell mice i had to use back in school. I don't know how you can find those comfortable. Any old mouse also doesn't track as well as premium mice. (I'm talking games here).

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 09:40:30 »
Quote from: Findecanor;234871
Aren't "laser mice" not just like regular optical CCD sensor mice that use laser diodes as light sources instead of regular LEDs?
 ... or am I missing something?
Yea, in most cases the only difference is that they illuminate the surface with a VCSEL instead of a LED and there are even sensors you can use with both, VCSEL or LED.
Exceptions would be the Cypress OvationONS Laser Sensor (SteelSeries Ikari Laser) which uses a different IAS and the Philips twin-eye (Razer Mamba, Imperator,...) which works totally different than the usual image correlation sensor.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline zefrer

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 10:37:06 »
The major difference now is lift off distance. With laser mice they keep working if you lift of a little, you have to lift off higher. This is significant if you play with low sens, hence why optical sensors are preferred.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 15:18:55 »
The MS IME 3.0/WMO 1.1/IMO 1.1 and Zowie EC1/2 are pretty much the only ones that can keep up with ADNS-9500 Mice when it comes to low LOD.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.