Author Topic: Gaming Mousepads: Worth it?  (Read 26163 times)

Offline sinani206

Gaming Mousepads: Worth it?
« on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 00:51:16 »
Hi guys, just wondering what the general consensus is on gaming mousepads like the SteelSeries QcK or Razer Goliathus and Vespula.

Are they really necessary?  I really don't see what the difference would be between one of these and a cheap cloth one.  Does anyone have experience with so-called "gaming" mousepads? Please help.

Thanks!

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 01:43:38 »
Of course.

Not all "gaming" mousepads are gimmicks, some are but some have proven to be their worth and for some many times over the years. Depending on which you have it can change the way your mouse feels. Some mice even have improved tracking depending on the surface. And just because they are labeled "gaming" doesn't mean it's gaming only, some have mentioned better mouse usage in an office setting as well or regular desktop work compared to no or previous mousepad usage.

Plus different surfaces produce different results. Some like hard pads(plastic, metal, glass etc.etc.) and some like soft pads(cloth, coated cloth, smooth, rough etc.etc.). And also different sensitivities cater to different pads. It's not simply high sens - small pad or low sens - larger pad but different surfaces assist in the specific sensitivity.

In a way it's just like mouse feet some people find it ridiculous when they find out people change the mouse feet. But like a mousepad they too wear out and over time change the feeling of the mouse and how it handles movements.

As for the razer and steel pads well they are generally favorable. QcK is quite popular but sometimes recommended too much from some of the fanboys. Goliathus is also quite popular and seems to have kept a good reputation like the other razer cloth pads before like the mantis. But there's hundreds of other brands out there and whatnot plus not all pads are the same.

Also the artisan pads seem to attract a lot of favorable reviews. And many are choosing it over the puretrak talent, which some consider one of the best cloth pads currently on the market.

Like higher quality keyboards on this forum. Some spend just as much money on the different mousepads. Like before some are gimmicks and some are that much worth it though it depends on the user i.e. softer pad or harder pad.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 March 2011, 01:45:45 by Arc'xer »

Offline Roasty

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 02:24:16 »
i've been using my func surface 1030 since 2004. smooth and tracks really well. really hardy too; no signs of wear. i alternate between the smooth and rough surface sometimes, but prefer the rough surface for speed. hyperglide mousefeet are also stuck to my mx518, oh so smooth...

i was using normal padded cloth mousepads before, but after changing to a proper gaming one, i havent looked back since. i find that they do make a notable difference, especially in FPS games.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 02:47:41 »
I can say that decent gaming pads will last a lot longer than any normal pads.

I've had my ancient 5L for about 5 years now I think, still works perfectly.
The normal pads my parents use for their computer usually starts falling apart after a ridiculously short time.

I haven't really used a lot of normal pads, but there's definitely a difference. Everything just feels smoother with a gaming pad, especially when you find the right mouse/pad combo.

Beware of cloth pads, though, supposedly not all sensors will track properly on cloth.
Not sure how true it is, my Mamba works just fine on my QcK.

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 03:18:59 »
I have the Artisan Kai g3 Hien both hard and soft, and I think that they are the best cloth pads I have ever tried. The hard version doesn't even feel like cloth since the surface is really hard. All the mice I've used on these pads track just perfectly, and they glide so smoothly. Well worth the $18 + shipping I paid for these two.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline denydog

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 05:26:01 »
I don't know anything about its technical ability, but I'm sold on the slick feel (when it's buffed up with a light coat of silicone lube) of a hard aluminum pad now that I've tried it.  Don't think I'll be going back to cloth anytime soon.

I get along well with its black, cold, hard surface. Steelseries SX
Mechanical Keyboard-one; Deck Legend Ice Tactile

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 05:29:45 »
Quote from: denydog;313150
I don't know anything about its technical ability, but I'm sold on the slick feel (when it's buffed up with a light coat of silicone lube) of a hard aluminum pad now that I've tried it.  Don't think I'll be going back to cloth anytime soon.

I get along well with its black, cold, hard surface. Steelseries SX

I have the SX too, but I honestly think both of my Artisan pads are better than the SX. And I paid about the same price for two Artisan pads including shipping as I paid for one SX not including shipping.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Conditioned

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 06:23:26 »
15-35$ for a good pad. If you even have to consider, then probably the answer is no.
Antec p183, I5@4.01 ghz, 6Gb Kingston Ram,1200w Corsair psu, Intel 80 gb ssd, 3TB Storage (Seagate), Asus Essence STX with AKG K701, Gigabyte 480 gtx, Dell 2048 WFP 24" + Benq xl2410t 120hz 23,6", Razer Deathadder 3g with Goliathus Control, Netgear Wnr 3500 running Tomato USB w/ 500 gb storage

Offline phillip

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 07:56:16 »
I've tried many pads and had different results on most...so in my opinion they do matter, but just how much depends on you and your mice and your settings.

Offline Mazora

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 07:56:18 »
Honestly, just because you ask tells me you probably dont need one...
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline krisbo

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 08:23:08 »
I have a Razer Goliathus Control which I use with my Tt esports Black - moves and tracks effortlessly. A pad/surface is definitely one of those things which just improves your peripheral experience.

What else are you going to use - a slightly cheaper pad? I used to use the back of a book and I'd never go back to that now.

Offline Mazora

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 08:58:27 »
I bought my two (gaming) friends a QcK and a mech keyboard without asking them permission. It was like "here's your new gear, now gimmie 100 bucks", he was like wtf then tried the QcK and was happy, then he tried the ducky and fell inconscious.

mouse, mouse pad, 120hz monitor, keyboard and a good PC are all a  must for anyone who takes his game seriously :D

I'm using Xai + 9HD at the moment and its heaven !:)
RF-87UW

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 09:52:24 »
Quote from: Mazora;313226
120hz monitor a  must for anyone who takes his game seriously

I'll have to disagree with this, a 120Hz monitor won't have much of an impact. Sure, military tests have shown that the human eye can register 1000+ fps, but being able to see 60 fps more than your opponents will not make a difference other than maybe a tiny psychological one.

I haven't done much research on this so I might be off, but from what I've seen the only people who geek out over 120Hz monitors seem to be CS kids.

Offline Skylit

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 10:19:52 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;313113
Of course.

Not all "gaming" mousepads are gimmicks, some are but some have proven to be their worth and for some many times over the years. Depending on which you have it can change the way your mouse feels. Some mice even have improved tracking depending on the surface. And just because they are labeled "gaming" doesn't mean it's gaming only, some have mentioned better mouse usage in an office setting as well or regular desktop work compared to no or previous mousepad usage.

Plus different surfaces produce different results. Some like hard pads(plastic, metal, glass etc.etc.) and some like soft pads(cloth, coated cloth, smooth, rough etc.etc.). And also different sensitivities cater to different pads. It's not simply high sens - small pad or low sens - larger pad but different surfaces assist in the specific sensitivity.

In a way it's just like mouse feet some people find it ridiculous when they find out people change the mouse feet. But like a mousepad they too wear out and over time change the feeling of the mouse and how it handles movements.

As for the razer and steel pads well they are generally favorable. QcK is quite popular but sometimes recommended too much from some of the fanboys. Goliathus is also quite popular and seems to have kept a good reputation like the other razer cloth pads before like the mantis. But there's hundreds of other brands out there and whatnot plus not all pads are the same.

Also the artisan pads seem to attract a lot of favorable reviews. And many are choosing it over the puretrak talent, which some consider one of the best cloth pads currently on the market.

Like higher quality keyboards on this forum. Some spend just as much money on the different mousepads. Like before some are gimmicks and some are that much worth it though it depends on the user i.e. softer pad or harder pad.

This.

Edit:

Quote from: vun;313125
Beware of cloth pads, though, supposedly not all sensors will track properly on cloth.
Not sure how true it is, my Mamba works just fine on my QcK.

Laser problem and generally one that takes knowledge of how all previous optical mice track. For instance, some people will learn how to adapt to playing styles that fit a specific mouse and basically avoid any known issue, while others are aware that there is a problem and will desire the better mouse or surface. In reality, it's not an issue if you're able to do extremely well with a so called flawed mouse, but everyone is different and may require more or less performance than the next guy.

Generally speaking, some optical sensors actually track worse on certain hard surfaces. I know for a fact that I'm able make the Avago ADNS-3060 Optical sensor malfunction with quick swipes on my table, but once I switch to a normal cloth surface, the sensors max malfunction speed is exceptionally higher and any problem I had prior is gone.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 March 2011, 11:15:59 by Skylit »

Offline Skylit

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 11:39:13 »
Whether they're worth it or not is up to what a user wants out of his sensor and mouse as a whole, although with every surface, there's different results preference and performance alike. It's clear that most people won't notice a difference, but I guess the same thing can be said about certain mechanical keyboards with the same switch. :P

Offline Mazora

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 13:29:35 »
Vun, it makes a HUGE difference for FPS games. HUGE. Even from a biological point of view.

please refer to this http://www.100fps.com/ if you would like more precise explenations...

Ive played on a 120 hz CRT, then on 60 hz lcd... (PAIN!) then 75 hz lcd (pain!) and now on my new BenQ 120 hz... WOW

In fact, 120 hz is so great for fps gaming that it gives me the impression that its a cheat... its totally unfair for any other gamers that play on 60 hz. Not only CS (kids? wtf lol) players but any FPS players will agree.

For SC2 or the SIMS it wont make that much of a difference since you're not moving the screen that much. For Quake Live where you need to make flick shots with the railgun, fluidity and smoothness of the screen is important. I would suggest you try them side by side and see by yourself the difference  :)

Warning: this is kinda a marketing video but still nice to watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64L08FXDjvU

Quote from: vun;313261
I'll have to disagree with this, a 120Hz monitor won't have much of an impact. Sure, military tests have shown that the human eye can register 1000+ fps, but being able to see 60 fps more than your opponents will not make a difference other than maybe a tiny psychological one.

I haven't done much research on this so I might be off, but from what I've seen the only people who geek out over 120Hz monitors seem to be CS kids.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 March 2011, 13:41:22 by Mazora »
RF-87UW

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 13:55:59 »
Quote from: Mazora;313387
Vun, it makes a HUGE difference for FPS games. HUGE. Even from a biological point of view.

please refer to this http://www.100fps.com/ if you would like more precise explenations...

Ive played on a 120 hz CRT, then on 60 hz lcd... (PAIN!) then 75 hz lcd (pain!) and now on my new BenQ 120 hz... WOW

In fact, 120 hz is so great for fps gaming that it gives me the impression that its a cheat... its totally unfair for any other gamers that play on 60 hz. Not only CS (kids? wtf lol) players but any FPS players will agree.

For SC2 or the SIMS it wont make that much of a difference since you're not moving the screen that much. For Quake Live where you need to make flick shots with the railgun, fluidity and smoothness of the screen is important. I would suggest you try them side by side and see by yourself the difference  :)

The CS kids reference was because the only people I've seen go nuts over 120hz screens are 14 year old CS players, usually the hype around 120hz gets toned down by people who seem more competent in the field. You're the first person I've met that actually seems to know something about this that supports 120hz, so I might have a distorted view on the subject.
I can't really say anything about it since I haven't acually had a chance to compare them. If it really makes everything smoother then I can definitely see an advantage in it as only the tiniest amount of chop makes precision shooting near impossible. However, as far as I know the only way to get 120hz is to get a CRT, and those are huge. For me, at least, lugging in a huge CRT to get a small advantage when gaming isn't worth it. Then again, I'm not that serious about my gaming.

Offline Mazora

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 14:06:40 »
[sorry OP for being offtopic...]

They are expensive. There are couple of models on the market:

samsung 2233rz (all sold, look after market)
viewsonic vx2265vm fuhzion (might be able to buy new but would be surprising)
(new) Acer GD245hq (400-500$, on the market)
benq xl2410t (new)
RF-87UW

Offline phillip

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 14:27:16 »
I'd rather have a quality IPS panel than a 120hz TN :/

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 14:31:32 »
Quote from: phillip;313422

You don't get 120Hz TN, you only get that frequency on CRT.
But I agree, I'd much rather have a decent IPS monitor.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 14:32:57 »
Quote from: vun;313261

Don't start this ****. Your debating something which is based on myth and bull****; it's been debated and unfortunately I don't know if it's consoles or ignorance and or both but the myth is still perpetuated.

Like I said in a previous thread a few days ago. "The human eye will see whatever the hell it wants to see".

While I'm mostly speaking about gaming, any activity you do benefits from higher refresh rate. Remember the computer draws frames and the monitor refreshes all the time even if your desktop is pumping out 15,000FPS.

Actually the 120hz monitors are somewhat in the wrong they should actually be at 125Hz so the monitors refresh rate and framerate better match the most commonly used mice polling rate divisors 125hz, 250hz, 500hz, and 1000hz. Although that's pushing it to the extreme when it comes to consistency still there's really no adjustable polling rate matching to better divide the 120Hz.

Many other games benefit from them even slower shooters or even divisor(greater/lower) framerates like 30FPS and 120hz or 480fps and 120hz. Plus it reduces anomalies by 50% compared to a 60hz monitor and eliminates the need to vsync when using 60FPS if your stick with 60FPS. Remember your drawing twice as many frames per second, in essence a 120Hz user is seeing twice as much information compared to a 60Hz user(16.6666667ms vs 8.33333333ms) so the 120hz user is seeing 60 more complete frames over the time period of a second compared to 60hz user.

And it's not just LCDs but CRTs there's a reason why even to this day some stick to their high-end aperture grille CRT, if they are lucky to have one hell even crappy CRTs are still faster despite phosphor decay response time issues(phosphor quality and age). Aside from superior image quality, refresh rate, and zero input lag. Many of the high end CRTs did insane refresh rates some able to surpass 200Hz refresh rate even at a respectable usable resolution. So 120hz isn't the end all be all there was a time before that had refresh rates higher than what we currently have.

As for Counter-Crap as much as I hate it; it's a quake engine game. In quake the more frame rates you have the more you calculate the netcode and other intricacies of the game. Although there are magic numbers(67, 76, 81, 91, ((125, 250, 333))) which provide you with greater benefits(jumping higher vertically and further horizontally, better hit detection and hit avoidance, faster run speed, faster shooting, bounce and superbounce, footsteps with little to no sound etc.etc.) So you use a higher refresh rate to better match the frame rates to the server. For quake engine games framerates are very important, somewhat similar case with Unreal engine were framerates over I believe 91 or 96 begin to provide significant smoother feel as it increases compared to other engines. Plus even if the engine isn't coded in some specific way or operating in some specific way the higher refresh rate provides a better image quality especially in motion. Makes things less jittery and more smoother, more updates.

Most people won't notice a difference because they never been exposed to higher refresh rates nor pay attention to the differences. Sorta like people who can't notice the difference between higher resolution television and their SD channels, either they are blind or no one points out the difference and they just think there is no difference.

{Thread[1], Thread [2][Two threads I posted in detailing some of the information from above.]}

Quote from: vun;313425
You don't get 120Hz TN, you only get that frequency on CRT.
But I agree, I'd much rather have a decent IPS monitor.

There's a big misconception that the 120hz LCD monitors are fake they are real and they use dual-link DVI to process image. They don't interpolate but they do have higher response times per shades and colors compared to a CRT so their 120hz is pound for pound less faster than a 120hz CRT. Remember the 120hz LCDs are still 80-85% as good as a CRT, high-end aperture grille still beat 120hz in image quality(both regular IQ and input lag reduction overdrive requirement for some 120hz LCDs), black levels, response time(ignoring phosphor decay and phosphor material quality and age degradation) and input lag.

Yes an IPS is very nice and some have even notice some companies working on 120hz IPS panel albeit at outrages price premiums and with unfortunately interpolation. But for some people they'd rather have the pure speed over the IQ because they are so used to the speed that an IPS just completely hinders their enjoyment of the game. This is one of the reasons why OLED can't arrive any sooner at least then speed and image quality can finally return to flat-panel technologies like the CRT before always had.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 March 2011, 14:48:03 by Arc'xer »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 14:50:34 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;313426
Don't start this ****. Your debating something which is based on myth and bull****; it's been debated and unfortunately I don't know if it's consoles or ignorance and or both but the myth is still perpetuated.

There's a big misconception that the 120hz LCD monitors are fake they are real and they use dual-link DVI to process image. They don't interpolate but they do have higher response times per shades and colors compared to a CRT so their 120hz is pound for pound less faster than a 120hz CRT. Remember the 120hz LCDs are still 80-85% as good as a CRT, high-end aperture grille still beat 120hz in image quality(both regular IQ and input lag reduction overdrive requirement for some 120hz LCDs), black levels, response time(ignoring phosphor decay and phosphor material quality and age degradation) and input lag.

If you'd read my second post you'd notice that my stance on the whole "myth" as you call it has changed. For once someone has posted credible arguments and convincing me that it does actually make a difference.
I used to play CS when I was younger and dumber, so I do admit that the communities I were part of might not have been beneficial when it comes to technical insight as most of the arguments for why 120hz is better were "THE PRO CLANS USE IT AND IT MAKES ME SUPER AWESOME!"
After I grew up some and realised CS and the community around it seems to be mostly crap I haven't been active on many other communities, so all the data I have on it is pretty old.
I would like to apologize if I offended anyone with my "CS kids" statement, I was merely stating my impression on the matter, it was never my intention to offend or insult anyone, with the exception of 12 year old CS gamers.

Regarding 120hz panels; I didn't even know these existed, I've never seen anyone mention them. Are these relatively easily available, or are they still somewhat of a niche product, either due to lack of marketing or lacking technology? Or is there a huge market for them that I've missed?

Offline phillip

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 15:04:25 »
the 120hz panels are required for nvidia 3dvision or whatever their 3d gaming **** is called.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 15:06:09 »
Quote from: vun;313431
If you'd read my second post you'd notice that my stance on the whole "myth" as you call it has changed. For once someone has posted credible arguments and convincing me that it does actually make a difference.
I used to play CS when I was younger and dumber, so I do admit that the communities I were part of might not have been beneficial when it comes to technical insight as most of the arguments for why 120hz is better were "THE PRO CLANS USE IT AND IT MAKES ME SUPER AWESOME!"
After I grew up some and realised CS and the community around it seems to be mostly crap I haven't been active on many other communities, so all the data I have on it is pretty old.
I would like to apologize if I offended anyone with my "CS kids" statement, I was merely stating my impression on the matter, it was never my intention to offend or insult anyone, with the exception of 12 year old CS gamers.

There's nothing wrong with insulting this game. I had the unfortunate pleasure to play this game as well. It got to the point I spent hours researching what is the problems with it both all the CS games. I can assure you I can write an article on this forum so huge as to why counter-crap sucks and so detailed I'd probably have the owner of geekhack ban me for crashing the server.

It's a shame it became so popular because it killed probably one of the most advanced mods that even puts full games(hell even the mil-sims Arma/Arma 2 to shame) with it's details. Infiltration mod. Which ironically is if not as old or older than CS itself.

Quote from: vun;313431
Regarding 120hz panels; I didn't even know these existed, I've never seen anyone mention them. Are these relatively easily available, or are they still somewhat of a niche product, either due to lack of marketing or lacking technology? Or is there a huge market for them that I've missed?

They've existed since around mid-late 2009 when Samsung released the 2233RZ 16:10 (1680x1050) 120hz monitor and Viewsonic with their VX2265wm/2268wm 16:10 (1680x1050). Later versions were 16:9 and 1920x1080, shame they couldn't at least produce 1920x1200, if they are overcharging for a simple refresh rate system they could at least force your hand another premium to it despite the fact of being TN panels.

Though I think the whole higher refresh rate thing started around 2005 or 2006. Some people mentioning rumors of 90-95Hz panels and also some people began overclocking their monitors to push the refresh rate using the OSD/Service menu/GPU software. So they put two and two together and I guess they thought companies would release higher refresh rate panels.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 15:17:15 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;313440
There's nothing wrong with insulting this game. I had the unfortunate pleasure to play this game as well. It got to the point I spent hours researching what is the problems with it both all the CS games. I can assure you I can write an article on this forum so huge as to why counter-crap sucks and so detailed I'd probably have the owner of geekhack ban me for crashing the server.

It's a shame it became so popular because it killed probably one of the most advanced mods that even puts full games(hell even the mil-sims Arma/Arma 2 to shame) with it's details. Infiltration mod. Which ironically is if not as old or older than CS itself.

They've existed since around mid-late 2009 when Samsung released the 2233RZ 16:10 (1680x1050) 120hz monitor and Viewsonic with their VX2265wm/2268wm 16:10 (1680x1050). Later versions were 16:9 and 1920x1080, shame they couldn't at least produce 1920x1200, if they are overcharging for a simple refresh rate system they could at least force your hand another premium to it despite the fact of being TN panels.

Though I think the whole higher refresh rate thing started around 2005 or 2006. Some people mentioning rumors of 90-95Hz panels and also some people began overclocking their monitors to push the refresh rate using the OSD/Service menu/GPU software. So they put two and two together and I guess they thought companies would release higher refresh rate panels.

I wasn't apologizing for insulting CS gamers, I apologized if I insulted anyone actually knowing that 120hz makes a difference by placing them in the same booth as CS gamers. I will never apologize for insulting those who will do anything to get their hands on a 120hz monitor simply because their favourite CS clan uses them at tournaments.

Now, I generally try to be a nice guy and tolerate everyone, but my experience in the CS community showed me how dumb it really is. I'm not saying all CS gamers are dumb, but that the community is not the smartest and the fact that the game is pretty much irrelevant.

As for the LCD panels; I assume these would be low quality TN panels?
This is usually the case when it comes to response time; as far as I know you can't get a 28" 1ms monitor with a decent panel as you need to sacrifice something to get that response time.
Until there are good 120hz IPS panels available I will be more than happy with a 60hz IPS, sadly I just spent so much on keyboards recently that I won't allow myself to buy a good IPS monitor just yet.

Offline Shuki

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 16:34:14 »
It all depends. If you play a lot of competitive multiplayer games then you should be looking at a 120hz tn panel monitor. The clarity of moving images is much more important that accurate colour reproduction when playing fast paced games.

However if you don't play that many games then of course go for ips panel monitors which produce a better image with better colour depth.

Or you could spend the money you could save on a bigger desk and get a CRT and have a monitor which produces an excellent picture and can output extremely high frequencies, but then you are faced with lots of annoying issues like replacement, mobility and etc.

As I say it all depends on your priorities.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 16:38:53 »
Quote from: Shuki;313510
It all depends. If you play a lot of competitive multiplayer games then you should be looking at a 120hz tn panel monitor. The clarity of moving images is much more important that accurate colour reproduction when playing fast paced games.

As I say it all depends on your priorities.

Which is why I would much rather have a IPS panel as I work a lot with graphic design and photography and that is more important to me than gaming. I just game to relax and have fun, not to win any tournaments.

Offline phillip

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 16:39:53 »
**** the cs haters btw.

Offline Surly73

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 18:16:35 »
Quote from: phillip;313422

+1 (and I do)

Offline Surly73

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 18:18:55 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;313426
They don't interpolate but they do have higher response times per shades and colors compared to a CRT so their 120hz is pound for pound less faster than a 120hz CRT.

I just saw "less faster" and didn't read the rest.  LOL :tea:

On topic.  The problem with gaming mousepads is the perception that they're just for gaming.  The "gaming mousepad" market has generated all kinds of different surfaces on which to mouse.  There's high friction, low friction, smooth, rough, glide properties, potential for extra tracking etc...

I absolutely feel that the type of surface makes a huge difference to the overall experience.  Did I buy three pads and attempt to discern how much my headshot ratio rose or fell?  Of course not.  The mouse feels more to my liking with a rough but low friction pad, so that's what I have (Ratpadz XT).  If it weren't for the "gamer" market, all of these different surfaces might not exist.  A tiny minority of my time is spent gaming, but I still like the pad.  I have no idea if my headshots are up or down and it's not how I measure the "success" of my choice.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 March 2011, 18:25:30 by Surly73 »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 18:30:27 »
Quote from: ripster;313583
I have done scientific research on this market and have concluded you can sell ANYTHING to a PC Gamer.  This includes Gold USB connectors.

The gold thing also goes for wannabe-audiophiles. I find it hilarious.

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 21:57:01 »
I have done scientific research on this market and have concluded you can sell ANYTHING to a PC Gamer.  This includes Gold USB connectors.

Don't mock my anti-glare glasses.

At this rate, someone's gonna read this thread and start using their monitor as a mousepad.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline Amp

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 22:42:49 »
I've once or twice considered the situation, what do I do if I break an arm, but still want to compete?

Solution, duct tape my mousepad or keyboard to my chest.
Gear
Mouse: Diamondback 3G
Surface: Goliathus Speed
Keyboard: SteelSeries 7G

Offline dazed

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 23:13:11 »
Artisan mousepads are fantastic.  I used to use an SS Qck heavy, but it wore out in less than 4 months (the cloth was turning white and peeling from the rubber bottom).  I've been using a soft large Artisan g3 mousepad since around September, and it still looks brand-new.  Also, the fabric on the g3 is far better than Qck's fabric.  I play Quake and am pretty obsessed with getting the perfect set-up, and playing with the artisan pad feels so natural.  A good mouse-pad will help your game a lot (if you play FPS, I don't play RTS games so don't know about them).

Offline EdwardTeach

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 11:46:54 »
I have a Razer sphex and love it. I don't think that there is anything else like it on the market. It is basically a skin that sticks to your desk. I like that fact that there is no mouse mat edge for me to glide my wrist over.

Offline panda-R

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 12:38:36 »
I overclock my monitor to 75hz because it makes CS better!
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 00:03:47 »
Quote from: At this rate, someone's gonna read this thread and start using their monitor as a mousepad.[/QUOTE

ironically i'm currently using a 15" tn panel from a broken monitor for my mousing surface. nice thin piece of smooth glass.

Offline British

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 03:41:16 »
On monitors: I, for one, am still using my good old 1600x1200 CRT.
It's not just about gaming, as LCDs tend to kill my eyes (not all of them, thanksfully).
I'm even using yet another 1600x1200 CRT at my office, when there's a brand new 24" LCD right next to it, which I barely use.
And the problem is not just about refresh rate, I do also like to use whichever resolution I want without yet again losing my eyes in the process...

Regarding mousepads: They unfortunately get to wear off after a while, and I've been mostly using the hard ones (tough plastic or the likes).
I have a Talent waiting to be used, but I don't really have the desk estate for the moment ^^
Still, I find it's worth it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 May 2011, 05:09:09 by British »

Offline Bilbin

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 04:15:29 »
Any recommendations on an Artisan pad? Shiden-Kai looks good but I have no idea, very hard to understand anything with that link on the first page that Arc'Xer posted.

I'm thinking the large size might not be big enough. Coming from a PureTrak Talent and I'm going to be receiving another Talent with the Valor.
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blues - Razer Abyssus - PureTrak Talent

Offline Mazora

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 08:48:21 »
I would like to have a gold plated mousepad, its better anyway

RF-87UW

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 13:14:39 »
well that would be ideal, but certainly not as important as gold plated optical spdif cables.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 16:06:40 »
Quote from: Bilbin;345267
Any recommendations on an Artisan pad? Shiden-Kai looks good but I have no idea, very hard to understand anything with that link on the first page that Arc'Xer posted.

I'm thinking the large size might not be big enough. Coming from a PureTrak Talent and I'm going to be receiving another Talent with the Valor.

http://www.gup.co.jp/artisan/cloth_ov.html If you check that one out it mentions the new pads coming soon(hayate/hayabusa), the new colors available, and the description of the backing material at the top(They did have a different picture up of a calendar release date but they changed it apparently new colors, pads, and new backings). The pads are a tiny bit smaller than the talent in large format 42cm(16.5in) x 33cm(13in), some people have been wanting ever larger and I think they even have asked if they will consider larger. Not sure on any response by the company but considering that they mentioned they've been wanting to expand more and not just by word of mouth, I'm sure they've thought of it

The only review I ran into was one person mentioning the shiden and giving a small description of it, don't remember where. But they mentioned the feel of the glass beads almost like they were going to fall off as strange as it sounds like literally you can feel them providing a very smooth, quick surface but being able to control it real well.

I think it was a small forum post somewhere nothing in depth like the artisan review at ESR.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 May 2011, 16:14:09 by Arc'xer »

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 13:53:50 »
the best mousepad is the cold hard concrete.

the best mouse is your face
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Mazora

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 16:12:01 »
I'm looking for a Steelseries 5L these days, for using with the Xai (last resort, 9HD is too small)
RF-87UW

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 00:18:34 »
get the Ripper XXL. Unless you are one of those weirdos that likes hard surface pads.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 16 May 2011, 17:13:32 »
Quote from: Bilbin;345267

Artisan Shiden thread

Thread from ESR hopefully he comes back and does a review on it. Be nice if there were more reviews on it not just the mousepads themselves. In particular to the new ones coming soon hayate and hayabusa but the different backings, despite the definition on the backings section being pretty clear, be nice to see some real world testing.

Offline Bilbin

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 16 May 2011, 23:29:21 »
Quote from: HaveANiceDay;346006
get the Ripper XXL. Unless you are one of those weirdos that likes hard surface pads.

I had a friend that got the Ripper XXL, wore down so fast but it was nice while it lasted he said, told him to test out 360@200cm :happy:

Quote from: Arc'xer;347196
Artisan Shiden thread

Thread from ESR hopefully he comes back and does a review on it. Be nice if there were more reviews on it not just the mousepads themselves. In particular to the new ones coming soon hayate and hayabusa but the different backings, despite the definition on the backings section being pretty clear, be nice to see some real world testing.

Would be nice if they weren't so expensive for me, would get a lot of them. Then again, I wouldn't due to the fact that it's smaller than my Talent and I seem to run out of room.

I have a big desk so an XL version would be amazing.
Have you tried hard vs soft kai g3?

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 17 May 2011, 00:10:56 »
Quote from: Bilbin;347347
Have you tried hard vs soft kai g3?

Wish I could say "Yes" but I've kinda given up gaming especially with this crappy computer I use. And after getting my LCD monitor it's like "Ugh motion blur ghosting", funny how even a lower-end CRT still reproduces images faster, but I needed a new monitor.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 17 May 2011, 00:23:53 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;347364
Wish I could say "Yes" but I've kinda given up gaming especially with this crappy computer I use. And after getting my LCD monitor it's like "Ugh motion blur ghosting", funny how even a lower-end CRT still reproduces images faster, but I needed a new monitor.

I haven't had to deal with ghosting on an LCD monitor since 2005. What monitor did you get? Even relatively inexpensive LCDs these days have almost no ghosting

Offline Bilbin

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 17 May 2011, 00:34:54 »
The question is whether you can see it or not. I used to use a 19" LCD non-widescreen with 20ms. Man that was horrible. Now using a 2233RZ and I can't notice anything, but there is still ghosting as with all LCDs. What I really want to try is those new Samsung monitors. http://www.samsung.com/au/news/newsRead.do?news_seq=27519&gltype=localnews

Though the bezel is kind of really ugly :P