Author Topic: So does the G9X suck pretty much?  (Read 23054 times)

Offline Z Overlord

So does the G9X suck pretty much?
« on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 00:45:32 »
I use mine on a Razer Destructor, I feel it's not the most accurate. Yeah Windows accel is off. I play at 1920x1200, 1800DPI.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 00:56:35 »
G9X is significantly superior compared to it's predecessor the G9. It uses the ADNS-9500 engine giving it some of the best features on a mouse despite some negatives. Being the logitech SROM version it uses 100DPI stepping(normally it's 90DPI for non-logitech SROM) so 1800 should be real. As for it being inaccurate remember the location of the sensor is off-set a little you might have gotten used to mice with the sensor in the center.

Another thing to do is to check the polling rate and make sure it's stable some set it to 1Khz thinking it's stable but it fluctuates(600Hz-900Hz area) a lot so setting it to 500hz would offer more stability, not all motherboards can do 1Khz stable. And you might want to test the setting "Use OS for pointer speed and acceleration" in case setpoint is causing issues with the pointer.

You might also want to check your razer destructor for pits or wear considering the destructor gets worn out depending on how much you use it.

Offline slueth

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 02:22:49 »
My g9x works wonders on a plain ole steelseries mat.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 May 2011, 04:24:42 by slueth »

Offline WTFGoD

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 04:19:33 »
my g9x works fine on steelseries qck ......check your settings again or a different mat and make sure your mouse isnt broken?

Offline Z Overlord

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 17:25:36 »
How's it compared to Razer mice? I sorta am starting to hate Logitech, their keyboards always suck (G15), their speakers are meh. They seem to appeal mostly to the dumb "Gamer" advertising.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 17:28:21 »
Quote from: Z Overlord;344038
How's it compared to Razer mice? I sorta am starting to hate Logitech, their keyboards always suck (G15), their speakers are meh. They seem to appeal mostly to the dumb "Gamer" advertising.

And Razer isn't? In my experience the G9x is far better than any of the Razer mice I've tried, and I currently own a Razer Mamba and a Krait. Only one that came close was the Razer/MS Habu, but in terms of build quality it's not even close to the G9x.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 17:40:43 »
If you don't like the G9X your gonna loathe most of razer's offering using the PTE sensor.

Offline Z Overlord

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 15:22:45 »
Are there certain mouse pads it doesn't like? I have a Razer Destructor btw.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 17:51:59 »
yuck, i don't like g9x or any logi mice for that matter.

Razer ftw

orochi
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Z Overlord

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 17:55:44 »
Yeah most other forums hate on Logitech, and I don't blame them. But is the G9X actually bad? Do certain mouse pads not like it?

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 18:03:06 »
The G700 has the same sensor, and I don't have any tracking issues on my wooden desk, or my Razer Goliathus mousepad. I've not used too many hard pads, so I'm not too sure about that though.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 18:14:51 »
Quote from: Z Overlord;346324
Yeah most other forums hate on Logitech, and I don't blame them. But is the G9X actually bad? Do certain mouse pads not like it?

For most if not all hard pads there should be no tracking issues with the ADNS-9500 sensor hell even the icemat(glass) works perfectly fine. It's cloth pads that are the issue with it though it depends on which cloth pad some work with no issues and some cause it to work terribly.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 20:31:54 »
i hate all my logi mouse, g700, mx518, and g9x (which i sold already)

nothing against them, they aren't right for me, thats all
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 21:47:12 »
Quote from: Z Overlord;344038

Probably the most bizarre thing I've seen said of Logitech from a Razer user. The G15 v1 was one of the best membrane keyboards around. All "computer" speakers suck, and the gamer comment.. you use RAZER! The kings of marketing BS.

That being said - I'd use my Razer Deathadder Black over anything else if the shape suited my hand, since it has the smoothest tracking I've experienced of the countless mice I've owned/own. Unfortuantely it just isn't quite right for me.

The G9x probably doesn't play well with your Destructor pad, and I'm not surprised. If you want a hard mat try the Func 1030, otherwise try a cloth pad of some sort. My Dell Alienware Tactx (Same sensor as the G9x, slightly different shell) has no problem on the Func 1030 or Artisian pads (rough or soft cloth).
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 02:03:18 »
wouldnt say marketing bs rather than a different technique.

more mainstream-esque
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline suntorytime

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 02:30:41 »
The G9x works perfectly fine on the destructor. In fact it feels very good too because of the large feet on the g9x. It's far smoother than using Razer mice on the destructor.

If it weren't for the middle click the g9x would be my top mouse too. Instead i use it on my MBP and rebound middle click to the side scrolling clicks (far easier to activate).

Offline manfaux

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 12:52:09 »
I liked the G500 much better, the G9 felt awkward in my hands :(

Offline Z Overlord

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 18:57:08 »
I'm not a Razer user, did you even read this thread? And the all non-mechanical keyboard suck. I am just noticing the flaws with Logitech, and how they have the majority but are not that great. Heck Valve exclusively uses Razer hardware.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 May 2011, 19:00:24 by Z Overlord »

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 19:12:58 »
prolly cuz razer is paying them a hefty fee.

down w/ logitech

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline .XL

• http://www.paokfc.gr/
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 23:19:58 »
My first *real* gaming mouse was a Logitech G5, some years ago. Then I started reading all the stuff about Razer, that new company on the block that had the best offerings in the biz and was ready to knock your socks off. Long story short, I've been through probably 5 Razer mice, the longest one lasting maybe 8 months before the wheel started to get squeaky. I paid $140 for a Mamba that got so squeaky it was too annoying to use, after 8 months. I've had the Mamba, 2 Deathadders (good shape), an Imperator, and a Lachesis (one of the originals). They were all low quality build material, nowhere near Logitech IMO.

I used to hate on Logitech, but they do make some of the best peripherals in the biz. Friends of mine with Logitech gaming keyboards (the fancy ones with the LCDs) swear by them, and really don't like any other membrane boards. Even after taking some time using them I can see why - they're really great boards. Much nicer than the Razer ones I've had. Lycosa died on my after 6 months, so I bought an Arctosa thinking I would rather just have the cheap ones die on me than an expensive one. That got removed the moment I got my first mech board, and I can't even GIVE the thing away.

Logitech has a much better name in the business than Razer as far as quality goes. If you're looking for a well built mouse/keyboard/etc Logitech is the best way to go unless you feel like shelling out serious cash for stuff like Roccat. Honestly, I got this G9x for $40 and it blows my Mamba out of the water. I wish I had never bought the Mamba, really. I liked the shape a lot and the G9x was strange to get used to at first, but the G9x is just so much better, so much more solid, so much smoother, that I just decided to get used to the shape and go one using this mouse. And I haven't regretted it.

Oh, and I've got a set of Logitech speakers. 5 speakers plus sub for $85 - they may 'suck' in your eyes, but for me, and for the price, they're fantastic. You can't grade them against some kind of awesome Pioneer surround sound system - grade them against other $80 systems and you'll see why people love Logitech.

Anyway, my most recent offering of Logitechs have really cemented my like for them. They build quality stuff, no doubt about it. My dad has been swearing by their stuff for years, and he knows peripherals and computers well. He's been doing this almost twice as long as any of us have been alive :p
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 23:25:03 »
i never liked logitech speakers either, should have got creative acoustics off amazon for $30.
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline .XL

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 23:31:16 »
Quote from: noodles256;346903
i never liked logitech speakers either, should have got creative acoustics off amazon for $30.

Meh, I prefer having surround sound and the quality was better (imo) from the demos I was doing at Best Buy.

EDIT: I was going to go with these but the Logitech's had the wrong price marked down, so I saved $5 off Amazon price and $15 off Best Buy list price...

I'm still quite happy with them. Not much more I can ask for from a set of $80 speakers that give me a great surround sound feel while playing Mass Effect (got it off steam deals for $5...win)
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 May 2011, 23:34:20 by .XL »
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 16 May 2011, 03:59:05 »
ahhh, those creatives look good. if I had more money to spare I would have gotten some m-audios.

I am an ex-audiophile though so my speakers preference may be diff
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline slueth

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 16 May 2011, 04:57:12 »
I agree that middle click is a pain otherwise the mouse is awesome, might rebind it if it bothers me more.

Offline Scarzy

• http://enecutive.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 17 May 2011, 08:38:05 »
Quote from: noodles256;346322
yuck, i don't like g9x or any logi mice for that matter.

Razer ftw

orochi

How can you say that? Loving one brand even though others make highly regarded (and sometimes better) mice absurd.

The microsoft Intellis and the Logitech's MX518 are some of the best mice I've come across, and instead im highly distressed by the horrible shape (length wise) of the deathadder. Which is a shame because the sensor is fantastic.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 17 May 2011, 21:11:29 »
I never had a good experience with them (logitech), i don't know what you want me to say.

I love my IME, but the dpi is to slow for me and I hate the gloss on mx518.

/discussion
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline .XL

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 00:49:06 »
Quote from: noodles256;347782
I never had a good experience with them (logitech), i don't know what you want me to say.

Same thing for me with Razer. I *wanted* to love the Deathadder, but it had it's issues. I wanted to love the Mamba, but the scroll wheel squeakiness makes it totally unusable. I've gone through a fair share of mice with Razer, but with Logitech I've only ever had 2 mice. The G5 which I got when it first came out and used for years, and now the G9x. Both are very, very solid and well built mice. My dad has the MX Revolution wireless and it's a fantastic mouse. The next mouse I get will definitely be Logitech, unless Razer QC improves dramatically.

I love my IME, but the dpi is to slow for me and I hate the gloss on mx518.

/discussion

Truth. I love the feel of the IME but I had having to swipe my mouse 5 times across the mouse pad just to get across my 2 screens...

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 01:06:22 »
The return rates at the retail store where I work agree with you, .XL:
Well, I chased it up today. Logitech mice have a return rate (due to faults, not just exchanges) of 2.3 percent in 12 months. Razer sits at 6.5 and Microsoft is a 2.1 percent. We don't carry Steelseries, so I can't comment on that. These are mice only, and returns within 12 months of purchase

Offline sndstrm

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 01:22:06 »
I also believe Logitech has a superior build quality to other brands.  I don't think I could go back to anything else just because I can't customize the weight.  I have never really been satisfied with the weight of optical mice I have used until now.  Also I think they did a great job on the two sleeves.  Great for claw or palm style.  Also great placement of the DPI buttons.  I can change it easily with the knuckle of my index finger without accidentally hitting it.
rm -Rf /*

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 02:12:10 »
it does seem more people have problems with razer than logitech. no doubt about it.

I guess I just get lucky.

400 dpi IME ftw
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Carefoot

• http://carefoot.ca
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 23 May 2011, 22:49:19 »
I shoplifted this mouse and ended up selling it.  The reason is because I found it to be too awkward and I was coming from the logitech G5.  The grips are a gimmick, and overall I think theres better mice for cheaper out there.  I prefer the Xai but even that is sort of a knockoff G5.  Logitech G5 ftw.
* - Black "Otaku" HHKB Professional 2
* - Filco Neo Multifinger Touch Pad
* - AKG701 headphones
* - Steelseries [Rubberized/Raw] Sensei

Offline Exoverture

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 23 May 2011, 23:54:17 »
I bought the Xai a few days ago to see if I'd like it while it was on sale.

It felt horrible. It was nicely made, but felt cheap in use (grip, weight, buttons). It was not defective at all, it was how it was supposed to be, but it wasn't that appealing at all. The clicks were awfully loud too.

The G9x remains supreme.

Oh, and holding my old MX518 feels like holding a cylinder pipe now. It's just not natural at all. Same with G5, G500.

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 06:27:07 »
You shoplifted it why???

Not the smartest thing to go saying in a forum...

Offline curzen

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 07:32:27 »
I got these for my slaves who farm gold in WoW for me, the G9X tracks horribly on bloodstained concrete. Would not recommend.

ps: I just have them keyboard turn now.
[ KBC Poker ]

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 16:34:10 »
Quote from: Carefoot;350544
I shoplifted this mouse and ended up selling it.  The reason is because I found it to be too awkward and I was coming from the logitech G5.  The grips are a gimmick, and overall I think there's better mice for cheaper out there.  I prefer the Xai but even that is sort of a knockoff G5.  Logitech G5 ftw.

So basically you shoplifted a "claw/fingertip-grip" mouse, when you were used to a palm-grip mouse and called it "awkward".

Actually the Xai is closer in shape to the WMO 1.1/IO 1.1, almost a hybrid of sorts in a lower state with two side buttons per side rather than one, though the grip is more closer to the IO 1.1/MX310 rather than an outright palm.

Offline qvindtar

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 18:43:35 »
and overall I think theres better mice for cheaper out there.

Really? Free is a hard price to beat.
Metallic Blue Filco with MX Browns Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4k, Logitech G11

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 09:50:51 »
I shoplifted this mouse and ended up selling it.

Is this a troll or are you seriously bragging about shoplifting?
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline gl0ry

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 14:27:52 »
Um, the g9x is honestly my favorite mouse.  I use it on a icemat2 and have never looked back.

I am to mouse surfaces as this forum is to keyboards.  I've tried some of the most expensive surfaces before and have yet to find something that can live up to the icemat2.  YMMV though because the icemat2 was terrible with razer mice.  That's the reason I put it in the closet for so long, but when I was unsatisfied with all the surfaces I purchased, I brought  it back out and haven't had a single issue with my g9x.

The only single flaw I can really point out with the g9x is that the middle mouse click has far too much resistance, to the point where I don't even use it.  I opted to change the tilt wheel to middle mouse click.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 June 2011, 14:30:22 by gl0ry »

Offline Tennobanzai

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 15:23:19 »
G9 and G9x are the only mouse I game with in the last few years. It's all about preference

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 19:26:22 »
I shoplifted this Filco from Bruce at The Keyboard Co. He caught me, though, and charged me the currency exchange rate. Still worth it.

Sadly I can't really speak to having a lot of using on the G-series because they're all right-handed only (jerks), but many of my friends have them and swear by them. As a left-handed claw-grip user I'm pretty much stuck with Razer.

I've purchased a Copperhead and 3 Lachesis mice from Razer and the only "defect" I've run into is the rubber coating coming off of the Copperhead after 5 years. From the complaints I've seen I must be VERY lucky. I've also played around on my friend's BlackWidow non-ultimate and it felt decently constructed (hard to compare to a Filco, though, it costs half as much).

The mice definitely feel pretty light and don't seem like they'd stand up to a lot of abuse but I'm pretty gentle with my peripherals (my Filco plastic covers get more use on my keyboards than my fingers) and haven't run across any problems with them.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline jnsjr

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 22:24:04 »
I have been using the G9 on a ratpadz xt for a few years now.  I love it!
Current Keyboards
Unicomp Space Saver (white) ~ HHKB2 ~ White Filco Red Cherry Limited Edition (Imsto Grey on White PBT + Group 3 keys + Awry keys)  ~ Realforce 87U 45g + Realforce 87U Variable + Realforce Numpad :biggrin1:+ MJ2 White Blue Cherry 87key

Keycaps
ClickClack Red Eye Skull *(2)* *(3)* *(4)*~ Black Eye Skull *(2)* *(3)* ~ Closeup ~  Topre WASD (Thanks Yak & DB!)

WTT & WTS
WTS White Filco Red Cherry Limited Edition (still deciding!)
Sold ~ Filco Blue Cherry; Majestouch 104 nonprinted keycaps; Noppoo Choco Mini 茶轴 (brown switches);  Topre 87u Variable ; Topre 87u 55g ; MY7000 Doubleshots ; Round 1 Doubleshots    
[/FONT]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline chel-

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 10:13:40 »
Quote from: Chobopants;360835
I shoplifted this Filco from Bruce at The Keyboard Co. He caught me, though, and charged me the currency exchange rate. Still worth it.

Sadly I can't really speak to having a lot of using on the G-series because they're all right-handed only (jerks), but many of my friends have them and swear by them. As a left-handed claw-grip user I'm pretty much stuck with Razer.

I've purchased a Copperhead and 3 Lachesis mice from Razer and the only "defect" I've run into is the rubber coating coming off of the Copperhead after 5 years. From the complaints I've seen I must be VERY lucky. I've also played around on my friend's BlackWidow non-ultimate and it felt decently constructed (hard to compare to a Filco, though, it costs half as much).

The mice definitely feel pretty light and don't seem like they'd stand up to a lot of abuse but I'm pretty gentle with my peripherals (my Filco plastic covers get more use on my keyboards than my fingers) and haven't run across any problems with them.

If you are playing a FPS do you set the gun on the left side as well?

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 11:25:56 »
Quote from: chel-;361088
If you are playing a FPS do you set the gun on the left side as well?

set gun_visible false
set fov 120

In games where I can't hide the gun and it's an option, then, yes. The last FPS worth playing was Quake 4 with the Q4MAX comp mod so I don't have any problems with modern bull**** FPS games not letting me hide my gun or forcing me to look down sights anyway.

A little trivia: Gooseman (the guy who invented CounterStrike) is left-handed so the default setting in CS for many years was always left-handed guns.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 15:41:20 »
The only thing that sucks is on mine at least the middle click is not defined at all like it is on the G9 I have.

« Last Edit: Sun, 26 June 2011, 15:47:43 by D-EJ915 »

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 18 August 2011, 13:04:17 »
I tried the G9x for a couple of days, and I just couldn't get used to the grip. I loved the fact that it was low-profile (meaning, I didn't need to palm it), but, it was simply too wide, so my wrists ended up hurting after short periods of use.

Offline skyblue

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 18 August 2011, 19:28:10 »
I'm thinking of changing from my 4-year-old Deathadder to the G9x, can anyone comment on how the two compare or recommend any other mice that I should consider?

I was happy with the deathadder until very recently (gaming for long periods is starting to strain my hands/wrist - think it might be because the deathadder is too big)

EDIT - I won't be able to actually get my hands on a g9x to try before I buy, which is why I'm asking.
Das Professional S | Filco Majestouch-2 104