Author Topic: Logitech m705 questions  (Read 13360 times)

Offline MrZammler

Logitech m705 questions
« on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 04:48:37 »
Hi.

My 6-7 year old MX1000 decided to die recently, and I need a new mouse :-)

I'm looking at the Marathon m705, but I can't really make out from various reviews if it has a middle click button or not. On the mx1000, the task is performed by the scroll wheel (although it was VERY stiff to press), is it the same on the m705?

Please bear in mind that I won't be able to install any Logitech software to configure the keys (Linux), so I need the middle mouse button to be present somewhere by default :-)

Btw, how heavy is it compared to the MX1000?

Thanks a lot,
Emmanuel

Offline Brodie337

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 05:16:23 »
Seems to be able to middle click, read the review called Mmmmm.... or something like that here:
http://reviews-au.logitech.com/7061-en_au/7108/marathon-mouse-m705-reviews/reviews.htm

As for weight, I'm still working on that one. :D

Offline MrZammler

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 05:59:37 »
Ok, thanks Brodie. Found some more info, it seems it middle clicks through a thumb button (not 100% sure if it's the default case for linux though, but it might be customized if it's not).

Offline Brodie337

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 06:18:36 »
The pics on Logitechs site show a scroll wheel select button behind the wheel, so I'd think it has a middle click.

Offline MrZammler

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 06:23:10 »
Quote from: Brodie337;344859
The pics on Logitechs site show a scroll wheel select button behind the wheel, so I'd think it has a middle click.

That's for changing the scroll wheel from free-running to normal, AFAIK. :-)

Offline Brodie337

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 06:28:43 »
Yeah, but it means that the mouse wheel is freed up for middle click. Mice like the MX Revolution have no middle click by default, because this is the free scroll toggle. On mice like my G700, with a dedicated toggle for free scroll, middle click works like normal out of the box.

Sorry if my posts are hard to read, the drugs I'm on for my bipolar muddle me up a little.

Offline MrZammler

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 06:34:22 »
Quote from: Brodie337;344862
Yeah, but it means that the mouse wheel is freed up for middle click. Mice like the MX Revolution have no middle click by default, because this is the free scroll toggle. On mice like my G700, with a dedicated toggle for free scroll, middle click works like normal out of the box.

Sorry if my posts are hard to read, the drugs I'm on for my bipolar muddle me up a little.

Ah, not at all, got it now, many thanks!!

Offline Brodie337

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 06:36:24 »
Just out of interest, what linux distro do you use?

I'm a long time Arch junkie, but I was feeling lazy when I had to reformat my netbook and installed Ubuntu 11.04

Offline MrZammler

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 06:52:12 »
Very long time Gentoo user on all my machines (no other os), even on my netbook (atom, distcc rulez!) :-)

Touched ubuntu briefly on a friends machine, but found it way too restricting. Rolling release distros rule!!

Offline Brodie337

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 07:01:06 »
I just like ubuntu because its very polished, and when you're feeling lazy, you can have it up and running in about 20. Gentoo is unknown ground to me. What's it like to install and use for you?

Offline MrZammler

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 08:02:58 »
Well, it sure does take more than Ubuntu to install. The handbook guides you to a very slim text only install. The only kinda of hard part is to configure your kernel by hand. It's nothing difficult, but it takes a few tries to get it right. Having done quite a few of them, now it seems quite trivial.

From then on, you choose what you want. KDE, Gnome, etc. You can have for example a very limited KDE install without unnecessary bloat (e.g. kde games), compiled for your cpu and with the dependencies you only need. For example, the sound backend of KDE (Phonon) can work with xine, vlc, pulseaudio or gstreamer. I can choose to have only one of them, or two, or whatever. It's up to you. I choose gstreamer since clementine (a music app) also uses it. So I don't have an un-used sound backend installed on my system. Call me weird, but that's how I want it :-)

Another example is when I wanted to install a vdpau capable mplayer on a friend's ubuntu system: I had to search for a good 1 hour for a build somewhere by someone that would install on the specific version of Ubuntu (i.e. it would meet it's dependencies). On Gentoo it's on a terminal: $ USE="vdpau" emerge mplayer. :-)

What takes a lot of time, is of course compiling packages. To give you an insight, going from a text-just-installed-system to KDE, it took I think about half a day on my Core2Duo 8400. I only installed those KDE components that I needed.

Then of course comes the nice thing of these distros. Almost as soon as something is available (E.g. KDE 4.6.3) I can install it right away. I don't need to wait for my distribution to release a new version containing it.

Basically, if you don't care/want to know what's going on with your system (or don't have the time to), stick with Ubuntu. If you like tinkering, try Gentoo :-)

Offline Brodie337

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 08:39:22 »
Ubuntu is just a temporary thing on my netbook, mainly because I had an assignment I should have been doing :P

My desktop dual boots Arch and Windows, and while Arch isnt as manual as Gentoo it seems, it's still ALOT more involved than Ubuntu, with all the goodness of a rolling release

Offline MrZammler

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 09:27:04 »
Yes, Arch does is closer to Gentoo than anything else.

But, back on topic, I've been reading some reviews on: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5843#section=reviews and I'm having second thoughts...

Could anyone recommend a worthy (wireless) replacement for the MX1000 ?
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 May 2011, 09:39:02 by MrZammler »

Offline The Solutor

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 18:16:36 »
Quote from: MrZammler;344919

Could anyone recommend a worthy (wireless) replacement for the MX1000 ?

M705 is one of the best mice I ever tried in 20 years.

Has the middle click (lack of middleclick was my reason to skip the MX revolution)

Has the right size, is not too heavy (about 145g with two batteries installed)

Works for ages with two batteries (3 years, really)

Works with one or two batteries.

Has a good precision and trackability

Has the unifyng receiver

Cost less than 40$ now.

Highly suggested.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2011, 14:15:40 by The Solutor »
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Dox

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 20:22:59 »
Quote from: The Solutor;345528
Has the middle click (lack of middleclick was my reason to skip the MX revolution)
That's weird because I've been middle clicking on my mx revolution for 3 years before switching to the G700.
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline The Solutor

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 21:41:30 »
Are we speaking about the same thing?

I mean middle click pushing the scroll wheel.

Pushing it on the mx revolution toggles the wheel behavior, mechanically.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline MrZammler

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 07:02:21 »
Quote from: The Solutor;345528

Thanks for this. One more question: How stiff is the middle click button? On the MX1000 it was the biggest drawback of the mouse. It would require much force, eventually resulting to the scroll wheel moving.

Offline Dox

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 11:42:39 »
Quote from: The Solutor;345592
Are we speaking about the same thing?

I mean middle click pushing the scroll wheel.

Pushing it on the mx revolution toggles the wheel behavior, mechanically.

The behavior is configurable with the logitech software. You can assign the middle button function to the scroll wheel click and change the scroll mode from the software or made it switch automaticlly depending on the speed of the scroll wheel. I guess this could cause a problem with linux if there is no software to do this.

The scroll wheel on the mx revolution was one of the hardest to push. the G700 is hard but not as much as the revolution.

Offline The Solutor

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 12:50:16 »
Quote from: MrZammler;345694
Thanks for this. One more question: How stiff is the middle click button? On the MX1000 it was the biggest drawback of the mouse.

It's stiffer than the average mouse it's ok for me. Btw I have also a VX  revolution I lost the additional spring placed on the center button. The mouse still works perfectly with a less stiff middle click. I guess the same spring is present also on the M705.

eventually resulting to the scroll wheel moving.

This is a side effect of the logitech SW (at least the recent releases), I just use the plain windows drivers because of this, and I haven't unwanted scrolling anymore.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2011, 14:08:06 by The Solutor »

Offline The Solutor

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 12:58:30 »
Quote from: Dox;345778
The behavior is configurable with the logitech software. You can assign the middle button function to the scroll wheel click and change the scroll mode from the software or made it switch automaticlly depending on the speed of the scroll wheel. I guess this could cause a problem with linux if there is no software to do this.

So this is starting to sound as a little mystery to me, when I saw the MX revolution for the first time I spent 1h in the search of that option w/o any luck, later I saw the mouse on the hands of a couple of friends and both of them were citing the lack of middle click as the main mouse drawback.

So a degree in quantum physics is needed to enable it or there are two versions of the mouse out there.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2011, 14:10:10 by The Solutor »

Offline Dox

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 13:20:01 »
Quote from: The Solutor;345801
So this is starting to sound as a little mystery to me, when I saw the MX revolution for the first time I spent 1h in the search of that option w/o any luck, later I saw the mouse on the hands of a couple of friends and both of them were citing the lack of middle click as the main mouse drawback.

So a degree in quantum physics is needed to enable it or there are two version of the mouse out there.

I guess I'll have to dig out the mouse take a screenshot of the option when I get home.

Edit: Got it!:
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2011, 14:31:19 by Dox »

Offline Dox

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 10:36:30 »
I've used the mx revolution from March 2007 to November 2010 and there always was the middle button remapping option. Maybe the option wasn't there when the mouse was released in 2006...

Offline The Solutor

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 13:14:42 »
Quote from: ripster;346103
The Solutor tends to be a bit out of date on his technical info.

The day you will learn 1/4 of the solutor's knowledge you can consider yourself one of the happiest person of your area...:usa2:

Offline The Solutor

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 13:18:36 »
Quote from: Dox;346153
I've used the mx revolution from March 2007 to November 2010 and there always was the middle button remapping option. Maybe the option wasn't there when the mouse was released in 2006...

Definitely this option was not present when I tried the mouse (few days after the initial mouse availability) I remember that I also downloaded the latest available software from the Logitech site.

Offline The Solutor

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 13:24:14 »
Quote from: ripster;346156
I think it was withheld from the Italians.

It's unlikely being the founders of Logitech also  Italians, as the actual chairman.

Offline The Solutor

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 27 May 2011, 18:59:49 »
Quote from: Dox;345812
I guess I'll have to dig out the mouse take a screenshot of the option when I get home.

Edit: Got it!:

I found a brand new Bluetooth MX1000 sold separately from the keyboard and I got it.

I can confirm both that the wheel can be used as a middle button, and also that the wheel is stiffer than the one of M705.

M705 is globally a better mouse, more precise, lighter, it doesn't need the charging base, and has no wakeup delays

But the sidewheel and the electrically assisted wheel mechanism of MX1000 are damn handy

Back th the weel clickable problems the MX1000 are actually three models the newest is the BT I got, the RF models comes with two part numbers, is likely that the older one missed the middle click
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 May 2011, 19:03:25 by The Solutor »

Offline The Solutor

Logitech m705 questions
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 21:19:37 »
I modded the middle button function, as I did on the VX

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:18531&goto=newpost