Author Topic: SlimBlade vs L-trac  (Read 3966 times)

Offline rsantos97

SlimBlade vs L-trac
« on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 01:47:44 »
I am going to be ordering a trackball very soon but I can't decide between the Kensington SlimBlade or the CST L-trac.  I keep going back and forth between the two.  I am looking mostly for ergonomics and ease of use as far as the button layout goes.  I also want the one that requires less cleaning.  As far as DPI goes I am not too concerned about it since I never liked extremely high DPI in mice.  Something in the middle is fine for me.  I won't be gaming with it and I will be using my left hand with it even though I am a righty.  So what do you guys think.

Price: SlimBlade
Ergonomics:
Layout:
Quality:
Maintenance:

Offline kidchunks

SlimBlade vs L-trac
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 10:39:40 »
I only tried the slim blade at a local store so I can't fully comment on it. However, I've been using my CST L-Trac and its been good to me now for a few months. I use it on my left hand (I'm right handed) and It took about a week or two to fully adjust.

Price:
Got mine for $109 shipped from Proadvantage.

Ergonomics:
Different strokes! For me, it was a little uncomfortable if not used with a gel pad either at the wrist or elbow.

Layout:
One issue that many have is the position of the scroll wheel. Since I have long fingers I don't find it hard to reach when I need to scroll. Other than that the layout is really nice and easy to use.

Quality:
I sweat at the hands and the black shows it. Other than that, pretty solid.

Maintenance:
Maintenance is super easy with only 3 screws required to take off the cover and access the inner workings.

+1 for the trac!
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 May 2011, 10:48:06 by kidchunks »
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline pitashen

SlimBlade vs L-trac
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 16:38:24 »
L-Trac
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline rsantos97

SlimBlade vs L-trac
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 May 2011, 19:06:30 »
Just placed an order with Buy.com for the regular version for $136 shipped.  They have a 45 day return policy which is cool in case I wind up not liking it.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
SlimBlade vs L-trac
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 May 2011, 07:03:52 »
I've been looking at the L-trac as well, but seems to be hard to get in Europe. Anyone know a convenient source to buy from, or should I just not bother and get a Kensington?

Offline British

SlimBlade vs L-trac
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 May 2011, 07:31:58 »
Quote from: vun;351981
I've been looking at the L-trac as well, but seems to be hard to get in Europe. Anyone know a convenient source to buy from, or should I just not bother and get a Kensington?

I actually bought mine from Fentek, and it was a huge pain (well, the shipping, that is).
Right after I placed my order, I noticed some link about CST website, which happens to have some resellers here and there... and yes, even in Europe :doh:
Here goes: http://www.clearlysuperiortech.com/wheretobuy.html

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
SlimBlade vs L-trac
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 May 2011, 08:10:22 »
Oh, thanks!
The websites look a bit shoddy, but then again, the keyboardco website doesn't look all that fantastic either and they're great.
Has anyone here ever dealt with Computerware or El-Fi?

Offline rsantos97

SlimBlade vs L-trac
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 01 June 2011, 15:16:11 »
Just received my L-trac.  I am liking it so far.  Looking forward to modding it.  The buttons are a whole lot easier to press than I thought it would be from looking at the pictures.  The DPI settings are great.  I use the middle setting.  I am glad I didn't spend the extra on the 3200 DPI version.  If I still had my triple 2209WA setup it would be a different story, but I sold them off and went back to using my Hanns G 28".
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 June 2011, 16:26:19 by rsantos97 »