Author Topic: VOIP/Skype Headset or Mic Recommendations?  (Read 20486 times)

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
VOIP/Skype Headset or Mic Recommendations?
« on: Fri, 03 June 2011, 00:32:46 »
I telecommute and spend hours on Skype every day.  I've been on a quest to find the best mic-quality headset for the past few years, and I've mostly failed.  I've bought several, and tried even more, but haven't been blown away by anything unlike my mouse or keyboard.

Most gaming headsets are nice, but too bulky and closed headphones aren't great for talking on the phone.  In fact, perhaps single-ear is best?  I'd *really* prefer wireless, but nearly all of them I've bought suck. (Freetalk!)  

This is what I still use every day... near perfect mic sound quality.  
http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-DSP-500-Digitally-Enhanced-Multimedia-Software/dp/B00005A9AV  
Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore, and the replacements suck.  (Plus it's a bit bulky and gives you a nice band of flat hair.)

Any other constant-skypers out there that have better solutions?  I'm all ears!  Perhaps a desktop mic is better than boom mic?

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 June 2011, 09:41:27 »
I have the Sennheiser PC161. Good quality, light, comfortable. Using it for teamspeak every day.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline theferenc

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 19:32:54 »
Is that what you use to record your sound samples?
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 June 2011, 19:24:45 »
Hi geekhack.

I'd like to find a quality wireless headset for the same reasons. A good solution might be a bluetooth headset for a cellphone. Mine is found by the computer, but I can't connect to it. Are there any that allow you to use them as an audio source with a computer? Of course the quality wouldn't be as great as mic & headphone solution, but the portability would be handy.

I currently use a microphone with a metal gooseneck stand, together with my SR60s. It works fine but isn't comfortable for long conversations, and it messes up my hair.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 July 2011, 18:53:01 »
nowsharing: I've tried the bluetooth thing quite a bit, even with a fairly highend set, it's really poor quality compared to a quality mic.  (Even with things working.)  YMMV.

ripster: Thanks for the tip!  I was looking at the Yeti a bit.  I have a Snowball, but I think I jacked it up a bit during a firmware update.  It's stuck on some low gain thing that I have to scream into to even have moderate levels.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 12:37:08 »
I just got a Native Union Moshi Moshi. While not a headset, by far the best thing I've used for voip. Not useful for multitasking (needs a hand) at all though.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 12:38:07 »
That is sweet looking! :)

Offline theferenc

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 12:43:38 »
I was just talking to someone the other day about how I miss the feel of the old phones like that. I might have to look into one of those.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline Lanx

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 13:31:13 »
i use the jawbone icon for my cellphone it has that built in noise technology, this is like my 6th bt mic and the ones that all my friends and clients prefer. I always use it, especially when i walk the dog(i talk to clients this way sometimes) and of course when you're outside gust of wind will blow through, this mic is able to cancel it all out (the other ones couldn't, various jabra, samsung, platronics). I've never tried it for skype, i did use a basic lapel mic for teamspeak/ventrillo when i was leading raids in a mmo for 7 years and being that i was the one that talked for 4 hrs straight every night (cuz i told everyone what to do and stuff), everyone found my lapel mic to work well over other "gaming" headsets with a built in mic, all i can offer.

Offline bcpk

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 14:23:35 »
I use a Giant Squid Audio Labs omni mono.
http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-mono.html

Offline godly_music

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 03:01:48 »
Very cheap and picks up voice clearly. If you have expensive headphones and don't want to compromise listening quality.

Though the clip may end up a bit too tight for thick headphone cables, you can still fit it to the collar of your shirt.

Offline arplod

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 14 September 2011, 19:09:00 »
Quote from: godly_music;380155
Very cheap and picks up voice clearly. If you have expensive headphones and don't want to compromise listening quality.

Though the clip may end up a bit too tight for thick headphone cables, you can still fit it to the collar of your shirt.

Show Image

Utter crap.

How about the MMX 300? It's basically a DT770 Premium with a decent mic tacked on - and it is genuinely decent - the 5 year warranty is also reassuring.

Offline Lester

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 10:23:48 »
Quote from: arplod;416246
Utter crap.

How about the MMX 300? It's basically a DT770 Premium with a decent mic tacked on - and it is genuinely decent - the 5 year warranty is also reassuring.

Why are those utter crap? I also use them and they're good imo!

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 10:34:59 »
Quote from: arplod;416246

I only recommend mmx 300 if you don't mind spending $300+.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 10:36:27 »
Wouldn't mind, but I found my DT770s very uncomfortable.  I just sold them a month or so ago.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 10:40:23 »
Quote from: aggiejy;416563
Wouldn't mind, but I found my DT770s very uncomfortable.  I just sold them a month or so ago.

Really? I'm using my 770s at work right now and I find them quite comfortable. I guess they could be too tight or small for some people.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 10:45:03 »
Yeah, it was the tightness.  Kind of like a headclamp after a while for me.  I tried to stretch them a bit, but didn't want to break them.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 10:49:44 »
I'm curious what your current setup is. Headset or separate desktop mic?

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 10:53:47 »
I'm still using the Plantronics DSP500 as linked in the OP.  It's a great headset... perfect mic quality.  But it's about worn out and it's a bit chunky.  I'm still on the lookout for some little lightweight headset (wired probably) that's got some crazy voice quality.  There are plenty of fancy voice tube type headsets out there costing quite a bit... but they are all work with desk phones/amps/etc.  I want that call-center $300-set quality, but in a USB setup.  Something you can leave on your head for 8 hours and not think about it.  Turns out to be a hard thing to find in my experience.

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
    • http://csm725.com
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 01:45:57 »
I have a pair of ATH-AD700's along with the Zalman ZM-MIC1 on the way, will let you know how it works.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 10:00:52 »
It's a bit of an oxymoron for a very lightweight setup that also has really good voice quality, especially if you don't want closed headphones if possible .. most of the really good/broadcast quality setups are also noise cancelling closed phone type setups (because most people that care about the mic quality also want good cans with tons of isolation).  Check out some of the Sennheiser offerings would be my best suggestion.  I don't have experience with their USB product but I've used their normal mic/headphone setups many times over the years for real broadcast stuff and they sound fantastic (not to mention are tough as hell).  Warning:  not cheap.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 10:44:58 »
Quote from: Gerk;417148
It's a bit of an oxymoron for a very lightweight setup that also has really good voice quality, especially if you don't want closed headphones if possible .. most of the really good/broadcast quality setups are also noise cancelling closed phone type setups (because most people that care about the mic quality also want good cans with tons of isolation).  Check out some of the Sennheiser offerings would be my best suggestion.  I don't have experience with their USB product but I've used their normal mic/headphone setups many times over the years for real broadcast stuff and they sound fantastic (not to mention are tough as hell).  Warning:  not cheap.

This is true if you're talking about broadcast type stuff.  But there are great mics for sets designed for phone conversation, as evident by the plethora of headsets available for office phones.  Something looking similar to this:

That particular headset is awesome, I have it.  It's about $130, but it requires an amp hooked to a desk phone.  (You're paying for pretty much JUST the mic... not much else to it.)  I was hoping they had something similar, but in USB.  I haven't tried looking into an amp that acts as a USB go-between lately... perhaps that's a good idea.

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 10:45:50 »
Why not a ZMMIC1 and a good set of cans?

Offline Gerk

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 10:49:38 »
I still have a phone (VoIP phone) that takes older-style phone headsets and have one similar to that I've been using for many years so I'm a bit out of touch in the USB headset world.  I have a couple but they are cheapish ones with double cans .. but they work pretty well.  When at my main workstation I have a small recoding studio setup so I tend to just use real mic's (my main vocal mic is an Audio Technica 4040)
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline arplod

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 11:59:00 »
Quote from: csm725;417174
Why not a ZMMIC1 and a good set of cans?

Because it's pretty crap?

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 12:00:40 »
Quote from: arplod;417198
Because it's pretty crap?
How so?

Offline arplod

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 13:04:40 »
Quote from: csm725;417201
How so?

Pickup at practical clip-on distance, general usability. Just because it seems like a good idea, it isn't necessarily - especially if you're not pairing it with a headphone that's actually better than most decent headsets you can buy for similar money (i.e. better than DT770 Premium). If you're using a Zalman with an ATH-A700 class headphone, you're shooting yourself in the foot twice. Not that it's unusable, don't get me wrong - it's just that the 'audiophiler than thou' types recommending the Zalmans rarely actually have any experience with good headsets.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 September 2011, 13:07:38 by arplod »

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 13:19:20 »
You can't be saying a Razer/Logi headset sounds as good as a AD700.

Offline Urglifast

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 01:53:43 »
my Logitech G35's treat me really well.  from what I understand the mic works really well and doesn't pick up ambient noises around me.

Offline arplod

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 05:11:05 »
Quote from: Urglifast;419452
my Logitech G35's treat me really well.  from what I understand the mic works really well and doesn't pick up ambient noises around me.

The pickup clarity is pretty good (and a lot better than e.g. struggling with the Zalman clip-on mic), but the reason I don't use the G35 as my Skype headset (the MMX 300 is in that role) is that the mic has a 'radio effect', i.e. that sharp, tinny sound which works really well in games when other stuff is going on, but doesn't actually sound very natural.

Offline Urglifast

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 16:18:48 »
Quote from: arplod;419472
The pickup clarity is pretty good (and a lot better than e.g. struggling with the Zalman clip-on mic), but the reason I don't use the G35 as my Skype headset (the MMX 300 is in that role) is that the mic has a 'radio effect', i.e. that sharp, tinny sound which works really well in games when other stuff is going on, but doesn't actually sound very natural.

that's probably got something to do with the "noise cancellation" software gate. however there is an in software mic EQ, it doesn't help?

Offline arplod

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 17:37:02 »
Quote from: Urglifast;419676
that's probably got something to do with the "noise cancellation" software gate. however there is an in software mic EQ, it doesn't help?

No there isn't (a mic EQ). It's just the way the capsule is configured/sounds. The noise cancellation isn't actually by software - it's why the mic (of any headset mic marketed as noise-cancelling) has an input grille both by the mouth and the opposite side. Ambient noise (i.e. sound that comes in through both ports) is rolled off by an engineered behaviour of the mic assembly.

Offline Urglifast

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 17:55:59 »
Quote from: arplod;419698
No there isn't (a mic EQ). It's just the way the capsule is configured/sounds. The noise cancellation isn't actually by software - it's why the mic (of any headset mic marketed as noise-cancelling) has an input grille both by the mouth and the opposite side. Ambient noise (i.e. sound that comes in through both ports) is rolled off by an engineered behaviour of the mic assembly.

i could have sworn i had a mic EQ in the software, i'll have to check when i get home.