Author Topic: New mouse recommendations please  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Daeve

New mouse recommendations please
« on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 08:55:17 »
Hi, Great forum I've discovered here :)

So after finding Geekhack and reading up for a week I bought Realforce 88UB keyboard which is a joy to type on and I realised it is time to get a mouse to match it.
I've two systems in play (one gaming i7, SSD and one an office workhorse AMD X2, HDD) and between them I use a Logitech MX700 (wireless and failing to charge properly) and a Razer Deathadder (wired but disliked).  Now the MX 700 is my favourite by far, I've big hands and its weight and solidity fit the feel I like - the Deathadder feels flimsy and cheap in comparison (though works fine).  I've been recommended a MS Sidewinder X8 and after finding one for just over 40 quid I bought it (not delivered yet), but I'm still out on the other - I have been leaning toward the Logitech G700 which is similar enough to my old one.

Any other ideas/recommendations please?  I'm not a massive gamer but like some fps occasionally and a fair bit of RTS (plus extensive office type work).

Offline cROKODILE

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 14:15:47 »
So you want a wireless mouse?

G700 has received a lot of positive feedback. If you want the same shape as your MX 700, you should maybe go with G7.

Offline Daeve

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 17:26:34 »
Thanks - shapewise that makes sense (fancied a G7 but there don't seem to be many around anymore).  I'm not necessarily after wireless, just a good mouse (wireless a bonus).  Between my 2 systems I'll have an X8 and a wired Deathadder - looking for a replacemnt for the deathadder really wired or wireless.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 18:46:31 »
Quote from: Daeve;394783
Thanks - shapewise that makes sense (fancied a G7 but there don't seem to be many around anymore).  I'm not necessarily after wireless, just a good mouse (wireless a bonus).  Between my 2 systems I'll have an X8 and a wired Deathadder - looking for a replacemnt for the deathadder really wired or wireless.
I think the G700 is just a newer version of the G7, just like the G500 is a beefed up and sillier looking G5.
So the G700, G500, G400, G7, G5 and MX518 are all very similar in shape, the former 3 are basically the newer versions of the latter 3.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 18:47:06 »
Quote from: Daeve;394586
Hi, Great forum I've discovered here :)

So after finding Geekhack and reading up for a week I bought Realforce 88UB keyboard which is a joy to type on and I realised it is time to get a mouse to match it.
I've two systems in play (one gaming i7, SSD and one an office workhorse AMD X2, HDD) and between them I use a Logitech MX700 (wireless and failing to charge properly) and a Razer Deathadder (wired but disliked).  Now the MX 700 is my favourite by far, I've big hands and its weight and solidity fit the feel I like - the Deathadder feels flimsy and cheap in comparison (though works fine).  I've been recommended a MS Sidewinder X8 and after finding one for just over 40 quid I bought it (not delivered yet), but I'm still out on the other - I have been leaning toward the Logitech G700 which is similar enough to my old one.

Any other ideas/recommendations please?  I'm not a massive gamer but like some fps occasionally and a fair bit of RTS (plus extensive office type work).

Recently I got a BT MX revolution, although is too big for my hands and I prefer the shape of my M705, i consider it the bes mouse ever built, thanks to the servo-assisted wheel, the side wheel and the reasonably good precision of the sensor. The battery last 15 days, not on par with the 1000+ days of my m705, but enough to have the mouse always charged.

If you like the shape of G700 you will love the MX revolution too.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 19:32:31 »
Quote from: vun;394829
I think the G700 is just a newer version of the G7, just like the G500 is a beefed up and sillier looking G5.
So the G700, G500, G400, G7, G5 and MX518 are all very similar in shape, the former 3 are basically the newer versions of the latter 3.

No disrespect, but just to clear up some information out there, the G700 is actually not parallel to the G7. I have the G7, and it's in the MX518 form factor, while the G700 is like a hybrid of the M500 and MX Revolution.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 August 2011, 07:48:38 »
Quote from: fuzzybaffy;394843
No disrespect, but just to clear up some information out there, the G700 is actually not parallel to the G7. I have the G7, and it's in the MX518 form factor, while the G700 is like a hybrid of the M500 and MX Revolution.
Oh, I just figured it was similar as the G500 is nearly identical to the G5, with only a few added buttons and shape modifications.
The G700 should still be worth a look though.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 August 2011, 10:31:14 »
Yea... I figured as much, I'm guessing because of the numbers. Just thought I should clarify in case someone picked up incorrect information.