Author Topic: Frogpad, Stenograph  (Read 4036 times)

Offline rebcabin

Frogpad, Stenograph
« on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 21:24:54 »
The ultimate in input insanity is Stenography. 600 words per minute, real-time, with four people yelling at each other and throwing sharp objects /nod /nod.

But, it takes a lifetime to learn. I tried. And, there's a union, and copyrights, and more. But it is the ultimate

http://www.stenograph.com/

Then, there is Frogpad. I use a lefty soze I can mouse with the right hand. It is cool, and I can get fast with it, I know I can, if I just use it more. I really like this little dude.

http://www.frogpad.com/FrogPad/Welcome.html

Finally there are my Topre Realforce keyboards. Using them is like taking a warm bath in milk and honey. I actually look forward to going to work so I can just use the dam things. My Razer Ultimate gaming keyboards with cherry blues are not far behind.
boards: Topre 86U black for carrying around (the black axe). Topre 103U white for office (so as not to scare the little children).
Razer Cherry Blue Βacklit / non-Backlit pair for gaming (so as to scare the other children with clacky noise). Soon to have 87U with colors.

Offline rebcabin

Frogpad, Stenograph
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 21:43:36 »
Ok, wikipedia reports "The website of the California Official Court Reporters Association gives the official record for American English as 375 wpm." I know I heard 600 wpm somewhere along the way, but maybe it was just a tavern boast :)
boards: Topre 86U black for carrying around (the black axe). Topre 103U white for office (so as not to scare the little children).
Razer Cherry Blue Βacklit / non-Backlit pair for gaming (so as to scare the other children with clacky noise). Soon to have 87U with colors.

Offline sordna

frogpad
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 21:48:01 »
Welcome to geekhack!
The frogpad seems cool, but doesn't it tire the hand? Looks like multiple keypresses for every character, no?  I found a video here:

[video=youtube;RNsrfaHl9kI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNsrfaHl9kI[/video]
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline rebcabin

Frogpad, Stenograph
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 22:28:46 »
I haven't measured my speed with it, but I am guessing around 40 wpm, very smooth and consistent. My hand does not get tired, but that's probably because I'm not pushing it. I don't use it very often, but it always gives me a chuckle. Most of the time, I plunk one of the Realforces on top of a laptop or just behind it and cruise at 80-130 wpm, depending on level of commitment and caffeine.

[EDIT]: Yes, frogpad is a chording device. The common letters (ETAOIN SHRDLU) are single key-presses. Common sequences (THE...) are natural finger strums. The next most common are very easy chords with the thumb pressing down what amounts to a shift key. Very easy, well thought-out, natural, and fun.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 August 2011, 22:31:10 by rebcabin »

Offline Lanx

Frogpad, Stenograph
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 19:54:27 »
are stenographers comfortable sitting like that all day?
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 25289[/ATTACH]

btw, where i used to work in NY, the next building i guess taught stenography or something, but i'd always see these hot looking girls with their stenography typerwriters (in a wheeled luggage rack, type of thing).